3. NDS LEGEND OF ZELDA: PHANTOM HOURGLASS (NINTENDO) = 224K
4. PS2 MADDEN NFL 08 (EA) = 205K
5. 360 SKATE (EA) = 175K
6. 360 MADDEN NFL 08 (EA) = 173K
7. WII METROID PRIME 3: CORRUPTION (NINTENDO) = 167K
8. 360 BIOSHOCK (TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE) = 150K
9. NDS BRAIN AGE 2: MORE TRAINING IN MINUTES A (NINTENDO) = 141K
10. PS3 HEAVENLY SWORD (SONY CORP) = 139K

PS3 continues to sell like crap. Microsoft outsells the Wii for a 3rd time since released. Halo 3 destroys pretty much all software sales. Interesting month and it will be interesting to see how it holds up this holiday season.

Posted by Speedfreak

Wow, the biggest entertainment launch of all timeTM got 360 outselling Wii by less than 30,000 units. That's not too promising.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Speedfreak: Wow, the biggest entertainment launch of all timeTM got 360 outselling Wii by less than 30,000 units. That's not too promising.

so a game selling half a million units isn't promising? I mean, do you know what you're saying? You must be joking, I mean, you of all people to say something like that, come on dude. Please tell me you're ****ing joking.

Posted by Speedfreak

I don't doubt Halo 3's success as a game at all, it broke all day 1 sales records and has sold 3.3 million copies already. I'm more concerned about it's system selling capability. This is supposed to be 360s big dog, the one that everyone buys a system for. Yet it only boosted 360 sales to 26.8k over Wii when Wii has absolutely fuck all going for it right now and has been stagnant for about 6 months. Halo 3 wil drop off the radar in a couple of months because most people bought it on preorder and games like that tend to have very little staying power (note, this is nothing against Halo 3, it's just common with all big videogame releases).

Tl:dr what hope do Microsoft have when they can barely beat Wii before it's peak with their absolute best? That's what I'm taking away from these numbers.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

I just wish something could make Japanese gamers wake up and smell the sweet, sweet coffee that is the 360. Even if sony is from their country, they shouldn't want a company that has bungled as badly as they have to be running the show.

Speedfreak, how many 360s were sold in anticipation of Halo 3, just like how many ps3s have been sold in anticipation of any games worth playing at all to date?

Posted by S

That kind of strengthens his point. Then again, what is Wii's supposed big dog? Brawl? I'd say almost every legitimate gamer bought the system, at least as a major secondary, for Brawl. So I wonder how that'll affect sales.

Posted by Arcadios

Mario Galaxy is another big dog Nintendo has that'll come out in less than a month. Hopefully both will pull in more sells on the Wii...well for those that don't have one yet. But yea, Sony's not fairing very well at all in the game industry but what else is new.

Posted by Fate

Does the NPD only do US sales?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Pretty sure it's NA only... though it also doesn't include Wal-Mart and various other places that don't participate. It's just to give you a general idea of how well a product is doing.

Anywho, I wouldn't doubt Halo's system selling abilities. For only five days it double August's sales. That's not bad. Considering the Wii is still showing no signs of slowing down even when there's no software, I don't even see a reason to compare the two.

Posted by Poco

PS3 finally beats GBA

gg sony

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Fate;764168][COLOR=skyblue]Does the NPD only do US sales?[/COLOR]

I believe they do Canada too. For future reference NPD do North America, Media Create do Japan and ChartTrack do Europe. ChartTrack are the only ones that don't release their numbers outside of milestone announcements like "Halo has sold over a million".

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;764360] For only five days it double August's sales. That's not bad. Considering the Wii is still showing no signs of slowing down even when there's no software, I don't even see a reason to compare the two.

Good point, it is unfair to judge Halo 3's system selling capability on just 5 days. But I do think It's rather telling that Halo 3 only added 250,000 Xboxes sold out of the 3 million games that were sold in that period. I think Reggie spoke a fair amount of truth when he said everyone that's going to buy Halo 3 probably has a 360 already. With the Wii it's a different story, the system's exclusively owned by casual gamers and early adopters still waiting for their system to become decent. Smash and Mario would probably have a bigger effect on the system's install base, but we won't be able to tell because the system sells out month after month anyway.

It is a different story. The fact is, people are buying the Wii when there's barely any software for it. Keep in mind though, the Xbox is still a pretty big investment at $400 for the console alone and a lot of people are just not willing to spend that much, especially in September.

Quoted post: Pretty sure it's NA only... though it also doesn't include Wal-Mart and various other places that don't participate. It's just to give you a general idea of how well a product is doing.

My mistake, it's US only. Canada's numbers are, obviously, a lot lower:

Nintendo DS = 45K
PS2 = 16.5K
GBA = 8.6K
Xbox 360 = 51.2K
Wii = 42.9K
PSP = 22K
PS3 = 15.6K

Top 6 Video Games - Sep 2007
360 HALO 3 = 135K
360 NHL 08 = 54.5K
PS2 NHL 08 = 41.7K
360 HALO 3 LEGENDARY ED = 27.2K
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE = 25K
360 HALO 3 COLLECTORS ED = 24.9K

Posted by S

You Canadians love your hockey.

That's how you know it's Canadian NDPs. In no other list will hockey show up in the top 5. Nor will it come within 100k of tying Halo 3 lol.

Though it's funny to see the comparisons. I kinda forget Canada has only 10% the population of America...

Posted by S

I should so move there.