Pro Evo 2008 Wii

Posted by Speedfreak

Now, this being an American board I doubt there's a lot of Pro Evo fans here, I'm not a fan of football games either. But I think this is interesting because a football game was another one of those genres that wasn't supposed to work well with anything but a raditional controller, yet the Wii version has far more control than any other version of the game. You actually have full control of your AI teammates.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/clip/pro-evo-2008-wii-310049.php

It's actally gotten me interested because I love strategy games, and I never really noticed just how much strategy there was in football. Combine that with a mouse-like interface and you've got a PC RTS on a home console from the comfort of your sofa.

At least it's nice to see some developers doing something decent with the controllers rather than waggly crap from most western-devs attempts.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Speedfreak;762920]At least it's nice to see some developers doing something decent with the controllers rather than waggly crap from most western-devs attempts.
waggle to shoot
waggle to move your defensive line
waggle to tackle

Honestly, it doesn't look very impressive. Point and clicking at stuff doesn't make it an RTS. I noticed that when the players in the demo were making passes, they weren't under any defensive pressure. Drawing your lines isn't exactly practical when you're about to get waggled. That said, it looks like it could go either way.

Posted by Speedfreak

By waggly crap I meant taking a game and throwing in random waggly controls and calling it a day. I don't have any problem with a shake being a contect-sensitive input, it's no different from a button and is generall handy as an extra accessible input.

I didn't literally mean this game is what's usually defined as an RTS, though if you ever pay any attention to my posts you'd know I despise how genres are stuck to so strictly when all they're really supposed to be are vague descriptions. My point was that football is a much more strategic game than I originally thought and the Wii Remote offered mouse-like controls, which brings it closer to a PC RTS than previous versions.

Funny how a lot of the fans revere this Seabass guy as some kind of legendary designer yet the second he does something on Wii it's suddenly a total waste of time.