HELP ANT

Posted by Ant

Last night I was browsing b normally. Then out of nowhere, the screen completely freezes. So I try ctrl+alt+delete to no avail, and the keyboard was plugged in. I've had this happen on older computers before, but never on this one I've currently had(for five years). So I turn off the computer. When I turn it back on, it boots up the first screen. Then freezes on the eMachines logo and doesn't do anything after that, at all. After turning it on and off a few times I give up, and try the next best thing. I put in the reformatting disks hoping it'll read them, and then hopefully kick start the reformatting process. That also won't work. So I basically have a computer that turns on, then freezes on the main screen.

Any ideas?

Posted by Gollum

You have to go into the bios and change the boot order to boot from the dvd first. You have to press f10 or f11 or f8 or whatever, depending on your computer. It usually says somewhere on the screen, but if not, you might be able to search for it on the internet. Currently it's booting off the hard disk first.

If you already did this, make sure it's a bootable dvd.

Posted by Ant

Thanks for your help. However, in a last ditch effort, I just started unplugging and plugging **** back in. And then I noticed it finally loaded the CD and the prompt finally came up asking me if I really wanted to reformat the drive. I figured I'd turn it off and on again and see if it worked this time. AND IT DID! So, my guess is that after replugging the keyboard back in it finally read it and it did something to finally get it to move on. But what was weird is that it already was plugged in when I checked last night. So idk, lucky perhaps? Ah well, PROBLEM SOLVED!

Posted by cool gamer dad

I've had the same problem since week 3 on my eMachines. It doesn't happen too often, though. Do you get the vertical lines down the screen when it freezes?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

e-machines? Ah, there's your problem. Poor quality computer. Normally you could chalk this up to a failing hard drive or a driver issue, but in the case of e-machines it's most likely a power supply problem. Might want to swap it out if it ever gives you this problem again.

Posted by Ant

Quoting cats: I've had the same problem since week 3 on my eMachines. It doesn't happen too often, though. Do you get the vertical lines down the screen when it freezes?

naw, just death freeze.

and it's not my choice I got an emachiens :o I was grateful to even get a computer back then, not to mention uneducated in which computers were best etc

Yeah, that was my first "I'M GONNA USE THIS ALLL THE TIME" computer too. Last quite awhile but it was a ***** to deal with.

Posted by Trigger

No keyboard detected. Press F1 to continue...

I see what you did there.