Japan Adventure

Posted by Dexter

I'm moving to Tokyo, Japan. I leave at the end of the month, which is about two weeks away. I'm primarily moving there because that's where my job would like to send me for a few months (technical writing). I've been pushing this promotion off for quite sometime but it's time I step up and start getting the better paychecks (not that I really need them). After I finish a few months there, I'll be in a position to choose where I'd like to live and work, as long as a working facility is present. With benefits going up and pay increasing, it would be a bad career move for me to not take this opportunity.

I'm really excited about the whole adventure, but also slightly sad because I'm leaving all my friends and especially some of my family behind. I've established a life and then left it before and it did have the difficult moments. I'm sure this will serve some hard times as well. I'll miss Oregon's beauty and environmental attitude. I'll miss some of the friends I've made here and the places I've come to enjoy. But who knows, I don't have to stay in Japan for too long and I always have the choice to come back. I doubt I will, though, for I've been in Oregon long enough and would greatly appreciate living and experiencing another place for awhile.

Posted by Xero

Well dude I hope you enjoy it over there. It always sucks to leave friends and relatives behind, but I'm sure you could pay them a visit during some of your holidays.

You'll have plenty of mangas to read other there. I even heard in National Geographic that people disguise in their favourite manga characters sometimes. I thought you should know ;)

Posted by Omni

I hope you have fun. There's a lot of stuff to see over there. One of my teachers lived there for several years, and he would tell me a lot of neat stories.

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Sucre: You'll have plenty of mangas to read other there.

I can't read or speak Japanese at all. I could look at the art. The language barrier is going to be strong and I doubt I'll pick up the language with my short time there. Maybe a few essentials, but nothing too impressive. It'll probably be more amusing than annoying.

Posted by Ant

Sounds like you'll have a great time.

How did you attain that position however? As far as I knew you just got out of college. What was your major?

Posted by Dexter

English was my major and I only got my first two years finished. I had it planned to get my four-year degree and continue working my regular jobs as usual, but then this government job presented itself and I fought for it for awhile until I won it. Now they're investing themselves in me, spoiling me and training me, to become an elite businessman of the 21st century! So pay your taxes and feed me well.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Dexter: I can't read or speak Japanese at all. I could look at the art. The language barrier is going to be strong and I doubt I'll pick up the language with my short time there. Maybe a few essentials, but nothing too impressive. It'll probably be more amusing than annoying.

Yeah that's always a problem when you go to places like restaurants. I was happy that most people spoke english fluently in Denmark. They helped me figuring out the main words. I find it amusing and annoying at the same time when I don't know the local language at all. But hey! That's part of travelling.

Posted by TimeSkipz

Congrats! sounds exciting, you get all those game accessories and junk we don't get here!

Posted by Dexter

They're not much for 360 though. I'll be stuck with Nintendo Wii players, but I suppose that's alright. I'm looking forward to experiencing the nightlife. Trance clubs plz. Gotta put my money somewheres.

Posted by TimeSkipz

They do dig Sony alot

Posted by Slade

Man, that sounds like a lot of fun. Especially if it's the going to be short-time. Adventuring without long-term commitments? Awesome.

So do you not have dependents anymore? Last I heard you were living with several younger children.

Posted by Poco

Just as long as you don't think it is an endless otaku world, you'll be fine. (protip: japan despises otaku as much as America does!)

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Slade: Man, that sounds like a lot of fun. Especially if it's the going to be short-time. Adventuring without long-term commitments? Awesome.

That really is one of the great perks. I have a feeling I'll be wanting to get out of there after a few months. 2 to 3 months is ideal, then I'll move on to my next destination, which hasn't been decided yet. Probably back to America, Florida or California.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Dexter: I'll be stuck with Nintendo Wii players, but I suppose that's alright.

It would totally be awwwwight for me ;)

Posted by WillisGreeny

Mid-west out of the question then? :)

Posted by Dexter

Ocean want, ocean will get.

Quoting Slade: So do you not have dependents anymore? Last I heard you were living with several younger children.

I've got them all situated. My nieces are back with their moms and my roommates are ready to support themselves and carry on without me. I'm going to miss the full-house. Life was seriously like a sitcom. Great cast of characters and bright coloured walls and items.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: They do dig Sony alot

Not anymore really. They've got Nintendo fever over there.

GOOD LUCK, DEX. you're doing what many kids these days could only wish to do.

Posted by Ant

I sure know I'd like to go! MAN! I COULD PLAY ALL THE COOL JAPANESE VIDEO GAMES AND READ THE MANGA AND I BET ALL THE GIRLS WOULD LOVE ME BECAUSE I'M WHITE! TAKE ME WITH YOU DEXTER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Dexter

You'd steal all the eggrolls!

Was that a fat joke?

Posted by Dexter

It can be taken many ways. That's the beauty of it. To close it into a single meaning would utterly destroy it.

And what good Tokyo attractions are there? I want to fit them all in. Nintendo headquarters, anyone?

Posted by Ant

you can look at the boring rectangle building they occupy!

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

What was the other location choice? Somewhere in France? I can't believe you chose Tokyo over it. Anyways have fun, and don't forget about xbox!

Posted by Dexter

There was a huge list of choices. Tons in America, and a bunch in other countries. My second choice was a place in Italy, but I'll go there sometime later in life. It's an apprenticeship I have to go through which will take a few months, so I'm treating it like a free trip, since they'll pay for everything. I might as well choose a place I won't have much reason to go to later on in life. Italy is a place I'd like to go to, but I'll most likely bring friends or family with me on that one. If I could go anywhere in the world, I'd probably choose Iceland. I don't think they had a facility there though, unfortunately.

Ah yes, Italy would have been nice. And Iceland? Do not want.

Posted by Dexter

Why not? Iceland is gorgeous, sparsely populated, and one of the safest places in the world.

It is The Land of Ice. Although you're right, it would be beautiful.

Posted by Slade

It blew my mind when I first learned that Iceland has more grasslands than Greenland, and Greenland more ice than Iceland.

Seems like Iceland is the place to be for awesome underground electronic music. Plus, they make that dish where you feed a goat certain stuff, then kill it and feast from it's stomach. But I think Dexter made the right choice in picking Japan, at least from the other places he's mentioned. Who knows, maybe he'll find out it would be the perfect place to take friends and family and regret his decision forever. -shrug-

Iceland is the place where everyone goes in World War Z after half the world gets infected. Indeed, the safest place. UNTIL TERROR STRIKES AND THE INFECTION SPREADS PAST ITS BOARDERS

Posted by TimeSkipz

China is a pretty nice place two. Learn about lots of spiritual stuff in the luscious gardens there. Also everything there is much cheaper, so it's win-win

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Iceland is the place where everyone goes in World War Z after half the world gets infected. Indeed, the safest place. UNTIL TERROR STRIKES AND THE INFECTION SPREADS PAST ITS BOARDERS

I kick myself for not reading that yet. And you know I'm all into the zombie/survivalism material, too. Max's got character. I'd like to sit down and have dinner with him someday.

[IMG]http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/9706/018iceland.jpg[/IMG]

Ice? I think not. I would like to go there, but I doubt I'd be able to conduct my work from there. Maybe for retirement. I'm definitely going to have to take a vacation there soon. At least within the next 3 years.