Listening

Posted by Ant

How often do you find yourself really listening to the music? As in, you just sit there, and listen.

I've noticed in myself that it's rare that I ever just really pay attention to the song I'm listening to at the moment. Moreover, I tend to have it moreso as background noise; which makes sense considering I prefer music without words, for the most part. But anytime I really do just sit here, close my eyes, and listen to the beats/words of the music; I really like it. Granted the sheer amount of music I have I can't dedicate that much time to listening to music(or rather I just don't feel like it), but it's something I think I'll try to do more often.

Posted by Omni

I find that I have no problem listening to and absorbing music when I'm doing other things, especially if it's something I've never heard before or haven't heard in a long time. Also, I don't tend to get bored of hearing the same thing multiple times if it's something I really enjoy.

Posted by Dexter

I do this often. Although I usually tend to have music simply playing in the background of my day, I also spend time simply listening to the music without any other distractions. Usually I do my best listening at night, typically when I get in bed for the night. I also tend to listen heavily in the car. I doubt heavy listening's a rarity for those who are really into music. The chance to be alone with music has become increasingly rare lately. Back when I lived alone I had plenty of music time. Now, with all the people, it has become more of a background thing, which has change my recent music taste significantly.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Most of my music is background noise simply because I'm either doing something at work, on the computer, reading, or playing video games while listening to said music. Though I know most of my music well enough that I don't really have to focus on it to completely hear it and follow it, so it doesn't really matter.

As for really listening to my music, not that often. Usually on the weekends when I'm going to bed or just waking up, or driving the car to work or wherever else. Sometimes I'll just take an hour or two out of my day to lay in my bed with all the lights off and just listen to music.

Posted by Slade

I'm just getting used to being able to listen to music whenever I want, so it's becoming more like background noise at times. But I'm not good at focusing on anything for a long time, so I often stop, rest, and just listen for a minute or two.

Posted by Omni

There's another forum I go to sometimes that has "listening parties" to alleviate this problem, but I think that's sort of a gay idea, at least on the scale they do it.

Posted by Ant

I would feel gay for doing so.

Posted by Slade

Sounds stupid. I don't see it as a problem.

Posted by Omni

Yeah, that's why I said I thought it was a gay idea.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Listening parties? Over the internet? **** that's dumb.

Posted by Shin-Ra

I can't have music purely as background noise. Even if it's Post-Rock. I end up focusing too much on the music and getting completely distracted from whatever I was doing. I mean, anyone who's ever talked to me via instant messenger while I was listening to music has probably noticed how bad of a multi-tasker I am. However, when I listen to music while driving, I can do both of these to about an equal level. Weekends are great for me though, as I sit at home all day and only listen to music, then drive 40 minutes to work while listening to music, get to my job where I put on my headphones the whole time, and then go smoke and listen to music while baked. It's great.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

The only time I really listen to music is if I'm on the computer, with friends, or driving. I can't listen when I'm reading or sleeping, as I find it annoying. When I'm playing games, I always listen to the game music. It just doesn't seem right listening to anything else.