Advance Wars DS 2

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[url=http://www.destructoid.com/first-official-images-of-advance-wars-dual-strike-2-scare-me-in-a-good-way--48674.phtml]GRITTY![/url]

I actually like this change in stylization. It would be pretty sweet if a realistic Sami or another CO made an appearance.

Posted by iluvgirlswithglasses

Quoting The X: Sami or another CO made an appearance.

I heard they totally scrapped all the old COs, but I hope they change that.

Also, the setting makes it seem like many, many people have died...

: (

Posted by Speedfreak

Considering there's like 10 games before this one in the familiar cartoony style I don't have a problem with it. It seems interesting, there's no way they'll screw up the gameplay so I say go for it.

Posted by MottaTheHutt

There's an Advance Wars DS 1?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Haha, oh wow.

Anywho, on one hand I like it and on the other... not so much.

Posted by nich

Looks a little odd. I say go either all cartoony or not at all, none of this half cartoon, half realistic business. I do like the side-car gunners though. Very Indiana Jones.

Posted by MottaTheHutt

Was Advance War DS: Dual Strike any good?

Yes. Very.

Posted by MottaTheHutt

Yeah, I tried playing it on a DS emulator but it was all choppy. :(

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=MottaTheHutt;760596][COLOR=black]Was Advance War DS: Dual Strike any good?[/COLOR]
DS game with the most longevity by far. Buy it.

[quote=Speedfreak]Considering there's like 10 games before this one in the familiar cartoony style
Jeez man, three. Four if you count the original Famicom Wars.

Quoting The X: Jeez man, three. Four if you count the original Famicom Wars.

Hasn't there been five since Famicom Wars?
Famicom Wars
Super Famicom Wars
Advance Wars
Advance Wars 2
Advance Wars DS

Posted by Zeta

Also Game Boy Wars 1, 2, & 3, plus Battalion Wars 1 & 2.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Right, my bad, my bad. Though I always thought Game Boy Wars = Advance Wars in Japan.

Speedfreak. Is. Right.

[IMG]http://files.turbosquid.com/Preview/Content_on_12_6_2002_19_04_29/Big_Explosion.jpgD0C9DC22-8CA7-4363-90A9AC176C77FB73.jpgLarge.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by Bebop

I like the style change. Maybe this time I'll be able to complete an Advance Wars title without walkthroughs.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=The X;760767]Right, my bad, my bad. Though I always thought Game Boy Wars = Advance Wars in Japan.

Speedfreak. Is. Right.

Ha, proved you wrong by proxy.

Posted by protomanv4

Quoting MottaTheHutt: Was Advance War DS: Dual Strike any good?

I thought it was not bad, I had lost of fun playing with my cousin on ds download play (I have the game)

Posted by MottaTheHutt

I'd go out and buy it but I'm a cheap mother****er, and I'm broke.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/nintendo-ds/advance-wars-days-of-ruin-hands-on-impressions-310918.php

Wi-Fi battles?

AW HELL NAW

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[LEFT]Aw HELL YES moar like. Finally, I can give up Advance Wars By Web.
[/LEFT]

Who the **** wouldn't want wifi battles?

nono you guys r taking it the wrong way D:

This is the best thing to happen to Advance Wars. It's so awesome that you almost can't believe it.

Although, after thinking about it a bit I'm not sure about voice chat really is a good idea..

Quoted post: Although, after thinking about it a bit I'm not sure about voice chat really is a good idea..

It's a great idea. What the ****?

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: It's a great idea. What the ****?

I dunno...I'm probably overreacting a bit. It's just that on certain voice chat-enabled games there is always one or two guys who would scream random, uncalled-for obscenities and, while I don't really find it offensive, it just gets annoying after a while.

It's fine when playing CS I guess but not Advance Wars.

Assuming it even allows for random battles. And if it does, they'll probably disable voice-chat. And if not, well, it's the DS. You probably won't run into too often. Plus, it's a portable machine. They know people are going to use it on the bus without headphones and know some kid's going to yell "YOU ****ING ****** *****" into the mic, so it's probably disabled.

Posted by MottaTheHutt

People yelling "YOU ****ING ****** *****" would make Advance Wars much funnier.

No it wouldn't. It's not funny anymore.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

It never was funny. Advance Wars is way too classy to attract screaming pre-pubescents anyway.

Yeah. It's just really immature. And...pre-pubescent-like.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

All the new COs:

[URL]http://kotaku.com/photogallery/awdorcos/[/URL]

Well, it looks like rebooting the franchise was the right choice. Some seriously good characters designs in there.

Posted by Zeta

On one hand, no Grit...

On the other, I'm fapping furiously to that first one in the second row.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

The kid at the end of the third row looks to be a Grit replacement. Almost seems to be a homage to Sniper Wolf.

Holy ****, awesome. Great character designs.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

A few of the characters look like they've been ripped right out of Castlevania, and the fourth character on the second row looks spookily similar to my first Mass Effect character...

My favourite has to be the very first CO on the list. Awesome Texas General is a DO WANT.

Yeah, you can definitely see some inspirations and influences. I think that's pretty cool though.

Posted by Zeta

Quoting The X: Awesome Texas General is a DO WANT.

I don't care what his official name is, I'm calling him Agent Chieftain.

Posted by maian

Heh. Upon hearing Advance Wars was good and downloading on my PSP emulator, I loved it. I still haven't beaten it, but I...think I'm a good ways through. Guess I really need to catch up. :X

Posted by Shade

I'm calling the fifth one in row two Basque Grande, no matter what his real name is.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[URL]http://kotaku.com/photogallery/awdorcos/1000335133[/URL]

Hey Vamp, I just noticed that one of the factions uses your Halo 3 emblem are their emblem. Creeeeeeepy.

Posted by Ant

I don't care if it's a post apocalyptic world, the boobs are still not big enough!

Quoted post: Hey Vamp, I just noticed that one of the factions uses your Halo 3 emblem are their emblem. Creeeeeeepy.

Oh yeah, huh, didn't even notice that. Though I switched symbols when the wolf was getting used too much. Still the best emblem in the game though.

Posted by maian

Getting more addicted to Advance Wars each day. I just beat AW, and I'm on Blue Moon's final mission on Black Hole Rising. IGN says Days of Ruin is out today. If so, someone buy it right now and tell me how it is. :cookie:

Posted by Slade

It came out yesterday, and I started playing it last night. Anyone else playing it? The characters from the other games kind of annoyed me, just because their exchanges seemed pointless, but in this game the struggles your army is facing are more realistic. I guess it's just really well written, because it feels like a novel and I can't wait to find out what's going to happen.

Posted by maian

I would like to play it. How much was it? I have $20. >_> Hopefully I can scrounge up enough to make the purchase.

EXCITED

Same price as any other DS game.

Posted by maian

I haven't actually bought one in a while, but it seems like most good DS games have risen to $35 or $40, so I'm not sure. =/

Posted by Slade

Idk, it's probably $30-35 depending on where you buy it. I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT I'VE NEVER EVEN SEEN AN R4

Only thing I don't really get is how some areas appear to be really sunny and green even though everyone says the entire world has been destroyed and covered in dust. Oh, but there are flowers, too, so I guess some areas are just cleaner.

So apparently the new units are the bikes, anti-tanks, and dusters. The anti-tanks are nice because they can counter when attacked, so they're not defenseless at close range. The bikes are really fukken nice for capturing because they've got great range, but I keep getting their strengths/weaknesses confused with those of those of the recon units. And I haven't found a really good use for the dusters yet. It takes two of them to destroy an infantry unit in one turn. I usually either use them as decoys or to finish off an infantry/recon.

Haven't seen the gunboat or seaplane yet.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Aren't there Rigs, too?

Posted by Slade

Oh, yeah. They're just like APC's but you can set up temporary airports with them. ...If that's not a new feature, then they just changed the name. Also, there are Flares, which are just used to clear up the fog of war. I'm pretty sure the area cleared stays that way.

edit: rigs can also set up temp. seaports. Each one has 1/1 "material," so you can only build one thing.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

There was a unit like the Rigs before? Do you mean the air carriers in DS?

Posted by Slade

The rigs look just like APCs, and carry infantry just like the APCs used to, but they can also build things.

As in, rigs have replaced APCs and have a new function. I was a little unclear on that before.

Pretty much all the changes:

* Gone: Neotank and Megatank (streamlined down to one heavy-duty War Tank)
* Gone: Piperunner (that's a good thing)
* Gone: Black Boat (not so good...we'll miss the repair boat)
* Gone: Stealth Bomber and Black Bomb
* Added: Anti-Tank (a powerful artillery gun that can counterattack)
* Added: Gunboat (a weak naval attack ship that can carry one foot soldier)
* Added: Duster (an average single-propeller plane that can attack air and land units)
* Changed: Battleship (can now make an indirect attack right after moving)
* Changed: Carrier (can now produce a powerful new aircraft called the Seaplane)

Posted by Ant

There's also no longer a point system to where you could buy things. But that's fine with me. I'll probably pick this up at some point in time.

Posted by Linko_16

Saw a commercial on TV for it and asked myself why they were still calling it "Advance Wars."

The world may never know.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;809069]* Changed: Battleship (can now make an indirect attack right after moving)
Holy ****, Battleship is top tier now. As if it wasn't useful enough before.

Posted by ghenning3657

im playing it now jus bought it an hour ago and im loving it

Posted by Speedfreak

SEAPLANES ARE AWESSOOOMMMEEEEE.

I want to play someone online, message me for my friend code.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I'd play you, but I don't think I've read enough Sun Tzu...

hahaha, well played.

Posted by Zeta

lol I finally beat the Campaign. Somehow I managed to S Rank the last chapter.

Now to practice ****ing people over with Penny's CO Power.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I managed to beat the last mission in 6 days, somehow. I was expecting a long, drawn-out affair like the end of Black Hole Rising. At least it wasn't as embarrassingly easy as Dual Strike's finale against a senior citizen on a life support machine.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=The X;815411]I'd play you, but I don't think I've read enough Sun Tzu...

OH I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE. YOU TURNED AROUND YOUR LOVER'S IGNORANCE AND MADE ME LOOK STUPID. I BETTER WATCH MYSELF FROM NOW ON, I CERTAINLY DON'T WANT TO GET ZINGED THAT HARD AGAIN.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[LEFT]Ohohoho, that wasn't my strategy at all. I'd never use such underhand tactics!
[/LEFT]

Posted by Shade

Don't you mean strategies?

No, according to Sun Tzu it's tactics.

Quoted post: OH I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE. YOU TURNED AROUND YOUR LOVER'S IGNORANCE AND MADE ME LOOK STUPID. I BETTER WATCH MYSELF FROM NOW ON, I CERTAINLY DON'T WANT TO GET ZINGED THAT HARD AGAIN.

lol ignorance. okay mr. sun tzu video game genre

Posted by maian

Gawd, I need this game. ;_;

Luckily, although I know I need to play it badly, my undying urge for it has slowed, because I got stuck on a mission on Black Hole Rising and haven't played it much since due to that and busyness! I do know that when I start playing again I'll be obsessed.

All I have to do is not play Black Hole Rising, and not having this game won't be that bad. :cool:

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;815827]lol ignorance. okay mr. sun tzu video game genre

Boo hoo, I know more about game theory than you. Cry me a river, emo boy. That you parade your ignorance about says a lot about you. Why don't you try learning when you're wrong instead of acting like a child half your age? Maian acts more maturely than you for Christ's sake.

Haha, oh wow. No, you think a book written thousands of years ago have any bearing on the classification of subgenres of video games.

Posted by Speedfreak

We were talking about the difference between strategy and tactics. Yeah, we were talking about game genres because their names were based of the definition of those words. You think the meaning of those words and the genres names after them are completely disconnected? You think the texts all durrent thinking on war is based on are irrelevent? Nice arguement, f[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]ckwit, anything else you want to randomly bring up when I'm trying to get a game together? I'm done with this kid.

As I was saying before this cock interrupted me, I'm totally up for a game if anyone wants to play. Just PM me and I'll give you my friend code.

Except it was largely about subgenres.

This is how the argument started:

Quoted post: There's going to be strategy because it's a sub-genre of strategy games, but it's still more tactical based.

This is the middle:

Quoted post: Stategy being a sub-genre of tactics or vice-verse literally makes no sense,

This is how it ended:

Quoted post: Doesn't stop one genre from being the sub-genre of another either.

The names aren't completely disconnected, but you considering FE a strategy game and not a tactics game, no matter what Sun Tzu said, is somewhat funny.

Posted by Ant

I really need to start playing my copy again.

Posted by Slade

Me too. I stopped at chapter 13 or so. Takes me for-****ing-ever to do a mission anymore, so I'm reluctANT to start another. Nothing worse than coming back to a half-completed mission over a week after you started.

I do that with every AW game. I tend to take long breaks from it and play some other games until I get the desire to pick it back up. Makes me enjoy it more.

Posted by Zeta

Anyone know what the top screen History medals are for? I have the three rightmost ones and I don't have a ****ing clue what I did to deserve them.

Posted by maian

so I finally got this game and came in this thread to post about it

then I remembered we were arguing about Sun Tzu

Posted by ExoXile

I'll take you on any time maian.

Posted by Klarth

I got to the penultimate campaign mission of this back in March and let it slide.

Love the series, but sometimes it's unforgivingly hard. Non-superficial gameplay-affecting content should be unlocked from the beginning. This is a design flaw that continues to baffle me.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I've kinda went off the series since I started playing other turn-based strategy games like FFTactics and Civ 4. It's a little too simple for me now.

Posted by maian

It's simple, but I like it for some reason. I don't know why, but it still feels on par with other strategy games. I just beat Lin's Gambit, a fecking hard Fog of War mission that's like three maps from the end. One of the hardest advance wars missions ever lol