Bungie moving away from microsoft

Posted by scylla

I saw on attack the show the other day that bungie was finally leaving microsoft. However microsoft still will have the rights to Halo. If they make a FPS for the Wii, I can't wait to see how that will turn out. And don't ask me for my source, because they discussed during "the loop" on a episode of "attack of the show".

Posted by Random

I heard about this over a week ago. I had thought Microsoft bought Bungie out but perhaps I was mistaken. Or perhaps they did and released them idk. All I know is Halo is still a Microsoft exclusive.

Besides its not like Halo is the only game running the 360.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

They released Bungie, but they're still a second-party developer as far as I know.

Posted by Fate

I heard they were made into a third party.

They're called Bungie LLC for a reason now. Though MS doesn't own them now, they still have a small stake in them.

Posted by Speedfreak

I don't get this at all. Microsoft still own every IP Bungie make from now on, so where's the independance?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Speedfreak;760382]I don't get this at all. Microsoft still own every IP Bungie make from now on, so where's the independance?

[QUOTE=Bungie.com]Bungie and Microsoft Corp. today announced a plan for Bungie Studios, the developers of Microsoft

Posted by Speedfreak

Oh that's right. Bungie own any new IP they make, but Microsoft's gonna keep publishing everything. Which means no PS3, Wii or DS games.

This is basically Microsoft's way of saying "If you don't work on Halo you're on your own".

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Speedfreak;760410]This is basically Microsoft's way of saying "If you don't work on Halo you're on your own".

I'm pretty sure that, at this point in time, Bungie could stand on their own again. And if not, a ton of companies would be clamoring to have them aboard anyway.

note: I'm not disagreeing with you here, man.

Posted by Speedfreak

Yeah, I just think they might still have an exclusive publishing agreement with Microsoft. In which case they're really not all that independant. Though I guess if all they want to do is work on something other than Halo then that's all the independance they need.

Posted by S

I wonder who got caught sleeping with their secretary?

Posted by Speedfreak

Don't really see how that applies to this thread so...anything you wanna tell us, Sol?

Posted by WillisGreeny

I was always under the impression that Bungie had wanted to seperate from Microsoft ever since they joined.

Posted by iluvgirlswithglasses

Bungie got tired of being a Halo studio?

Posted by Linko_16

I miss Marathon.

Posted by muffla

so wait can or cant bungie make games for the wii ps3 ds etc?

if not cant bungie end their partner ship with microsoft?

Quoted post: I miss Marathon.

It's called Halo. Basically the exact same game.

Posted by Linko_16

There's one key difference: The name "Marathon" has not been tainted by the world's frat boys and 10-year-olds.

Posted by TimeSkipz

Maybe they could make the Resistance sequel

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: It's called Halo. Basically the exact same game.

Funny thing is that if you beat the game on legendary( [spoiler] it basically implies that the Halo serieswas the prequel to Marathon, so your right in more ways then one. [/spoiler])

anyways, they actually made good headway in Halo DS and it looked pretty [COLOR="White"]d[/COLOR]amn fun. I don't see why they can't re-IP (aka de-halo it) this and make the game for the DS under the (near) same game.

Posted by TimeSkipz

Is it seriously? Wonder if they will follow up with a Marathon Remake

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Speedfreak;760439]Don't really see how that applies to this thread so...anything you wanna tell us, Sol?
I'm pretty sure he was implying that there's been some kind of fallout between Bungie and Microsoft. As far as I'm aware, Bungie actually resent Microsoft for wrenching their original Halo project and taking in it a different direction.

Quoted post: Funny thing is that if you beat the game on legendary( it basically implies that the Halo serieswas the prequel to Marathon, so your right in more ways then one. )

No ****, dude. Read the various threads on Halo.

Posted by Moogs

Quoting Linko_16: I miss Marathon.

Does Bungie have the rights to Marathon?

Posted by Linko_16

If Microsoft only has a stake in Halo right now, then yes, as far as I know.

Posted by Skitzo Control

Originally, Halo was going to be a real-time strategy on the PC (think StarCraft), but MS took it over and said, "NOPE! FPS! CONSOLE! NOW! *****!" Bungie probably resented that and were happy to get enough of a following out of Halo to get away from MS again.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Yeah. How dare Microsoft force them to make so much damned money?

Posted by muffla

Quoting Skitzo Control: Originally, Halo was going to be a real-time strategy on the PC (think StarCraft), but MS took it over and said, "NOPE! FPS! CONSOLE! NOW! *****!" Bungie probably resented that and were happy to get enough of a following out of Halo to get away from MS again.

halo wars anybody?

Posted by Skitzo Control

[quote=Prince Shondronai;762536]Yeah. How dare Microsoft force them to make so much da[COLOR=white]m[/COLOR]ned money?
Think about it this way:

You are writing a book that you feel is amazing, perhaps you could win a ! You pour so much into the words on paper that you start to dream about writing. You finish the novel, send it into a publisher, and they send back a note that says, "We loved your book! Except we won't sell it until you change the story completely to suit a different genre." How would you feel? Even if your new novel sold well (greater than you or even your publisher expected), you couldn't help but think, "What if?"

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Quoting Skitzo Control: Think about it this way:

You are writing a book that you feel is amazing, perhaps you could win a ! You pour so much into the words on paper that you start to dream about writing. You finish the novel, send it into a publisher, and they send back a note that says, "We loved your book! Except we won't sell it until you change the story completely to suit a different genre." How would you feel? Even if your new novel sold well (greater than you or even your publisher expected), you couldn't help but think, "What if?"

I thought they had more of a vague outline of a game rather than a completed novel. It's also a little bit easier to apply an existing game engine to different graphics and story than it is to rewrite an entire novel. If they had finished their RTS when Microsoft told them to make it an FPS instead, they could have changed the graphics and storyline in the RTS to be a completely different game.

Posted by corbinoiscool

it would be epic if they announced that bungie/peter jackson game was theyre next project...