addicted to games

Posted by scylla

This is a short conversation I had with someone online because I do feel that I have a gaming addiction that I want to break. And I'm sure there's more gaming addicts reading this very thread that feel they want to quit a certain mmorpg but would never admit it online or in person but know that they're addicted deep in their gut.

Quoted post: scylla[0:15:39 AM]: anybody here actually active?
weevil[1:16:01 AM]: i just know that i need to get it together or i will mess up my life more then i already have
weevil[1:16:02 AM]: ya
gamelessly[1:16:07 AM]: active?
scylla[0:16:20 AM]: yea i posted a thread like a half hour ago...
gamelessly[1:16:21 AM]: hi scylia
scylla[0:16:27 AM]: looking for help
gamelessly[1:17:18 AM]: oh, you just missed our midnight meeting, someone will answer your thread eventually
gamelessly[1:18:02 AM]: r u a gamer?
scylla[0:18:05 AM]: not good news for me because i'll most likely forget about this site come tomorrow
scylla[0:18:09 AM]: yes
weevil[1:19:26 AM]: mark it in your favorites
gamelessly[1:19:46 AM]: too bad... hope you have some good times ahead instead of gaming
gamelessly[1:20:14 AM]: theres a lot of hard core gamers who have found recovery here
scylla[0:20:21 AM]: true
scylla[0:20:49 AM]: but being unemployed, stuck in the house all day without a drivers license doesnt really help that much either.
scylla[0:21:07 AM]: its either go online, watch cable or play on my gamecube or sleep....
gamelessly[1:21:45 AM]: tough choices
scylla[0:22:27 AM]: yea i know and i cant get out of the house either because the nearest shops & restaurnts are over 5 miles away.
gamelessly[1:22:29 AM]: no hobbies, no friends?
scylla[0:23:15 AM]: no, i just moved back to Louisiana from being in oklahoma, so I play rs partly to keep in contact with the friends in OK.
weevil[1:24:32 AM]: can you just use like aim or msn or something instead
scylla[0:25:12 AM]: no because they goto public libraries that block instant messengers and they dont use that anyways.
scylla[0:25:39 AM]: so i never can tell when they are going be online....
weevil[1:26:51 AM]: can you call them?
gamelessly[1:26:58 AM]: well OLGA is always around when you need us, so keep coming back and checking your posts, and keep reading other peoples threads because you never know when you'll read something you'll need to
scylla[0:28:10 AM]: I cant call them. One of em doesnt have a phone, the other is like living with his GF who doesnt have phone eithetr
scylla[0:28:34 AM]: I hate those typos, lol
weevil[1:28:58 AM]: lol
scylla[0:29:53 AM]: anyways yea, im quite an addict, I wound up using a site scraper to scrape content from an entire game cheat site
scylla[0:32:49 AM]: I dont know what to do to kick the habit really. when im not playin online, I look at rpgfan or whatever & steal their news articles & use that on my forums, but i guess thats kinda common though.
gamelessly[1:34:07 AM]: *nods
scylla[0:35:43 AM]: so what can i do to keep myself from going online? I neglect working on the html pages that I "ripped" from the site just to go & play runescape most of the time.
gamelessly[1:36:38 AM]: there are some ex rs players in olga
gamelessly[1:37:25 AM]: i had to think about all the precious time I was wasting, so now I spend a lot of time on OLGA
scylla[0:39:00 AM]: true, but i play because those are like my only two real friends that i really know, I mean I've known them both in person for over 6 years
scylla[0:40:05 AM]: its kinda like we've always been there for each other, but i guess I should move on now that, thats' my only way of contact with them right?
gamelessly[1:40:43 AM]: make new friends, volunteer locally, join a club doing something you enjoy other than gaming....learn to play the guitar
gamelessly[1:41:09 AM]: theres a world of things to do besides gaming
scylla[0:41:44 AM]: yea, for people who can get out of the house, and I cant get a guitar, i have no job.
gamelessly[1:45:08 AM]: tough life
gamelessly[1:45:37 AM]: why cant you work? disability?
scylla[0:46:04 AM]: I can't hold a job for very long.
scylla[0:46:20 AM]: i had one just a couple of months ago that lasted 5 weeks
scylla[0:46:37 AM]: and that was my first job within a 5 year time frame
scylla[0:47:19 AM]: i mean i've had jobs before this recent one, its just been 5 years since i last worked is what im saying
gamelessly[1:47:58 AM]: thats a long time to go without work
scylla[0:48:07 AM]: not only that but i have to rely on my dad or uncle for transportation
gamelessly[1:48:15 AM]: who supports you?
scylla[0:48:25 AM]: my dad currently
scylla[0:48:58 AM]: livin in oklahoma, i walked everywhere, living with my freinds
scylla[0:49:26 AM]: but everyday instead of lookin for a job i would just put that off & go onine at the library instead.
gamelessly[1:49:48 AM]: well i hope you find some support here at OLGA...
scylla[0:50:12 AM]: thats what i'm hoping for
gamelessly[1:50:48 AM]: only you can truly decide whether you are an addict or not
gamelessly[1:51:16 AM]: and then do or not do what you need to in order to quit gaming
gamelessly[1:51:37 AM]: some people moderate their gaming
gamelessly[1:52:03 AM]: i had to quit cold turkey, I quit several times and relapsed
gamelessly[1:52:08 AM]: but now i think I've beaten it
gamelessly[1:52:13 AM]: i have 19 days clean
scylla[0:52:34 AM]: i've wound up doing the same thing myself
scylla[0:52:53 AM]: for 2 to 6 month periods
scylla[0:53:59 AM]: i even tried to sell my runescape account only to find myself going to the password recovery section to get it back on TWO occasions.
gamelessly[1:54:03 AM]: vicious cycles, but all I ever feel...really, when i game, is an emptiness
gamelessly[1:54:28 AM]: cold and yet familiar
gamelessly[1:54:38 AM]: yes thats tempting
scylla[0:55:54 AM]: the thing was, i was wanting to quit runescape when i got all 3 sets of *** armors, but i found myself wanting more
scylla[0:56:03 AM]: like 99 smithing for example
gamelessly[1:57:36 AM]: yes, the game is designed to never end
gamelessly[1:57:51 AM]: it is a hard one to quit I hear because it is a free game
scylla[0:58:14 AM]: its kinda like, ok I'll quit whenever I get this done. And then its like, I havent been playing long enough, i'll never get to that. etc..
gamelessly[1:58:37 AM]: but it still costs the time...something I cannot put a price tag on myself...i have so little time left on earth
scylla[1:00:07 AM]: what i've been tellin myself for nearly months on end is somethng along lines of "oh well, I die when I die, to hell with it"
scylla[1:01:08 AM]: then thinking, I'd rather not goto heaven or hell I'd rather just be a ghost since I didnt have a choice in it to begin with, my path was already set to hell with it...
scylla[1:02:17 AM]: maybe im just thinking about it all wrong but i've gotten to where i dont really care anymore.

Posted by Linko_16

I'm no expert on these things, but if I had to give an on-the-spot layman's analysis, I'd say you just have too much time on your hands. I don't know what you mean when you say you can't keep a job (lacking a car is certainly part of that right now, but are you just not a very good worker or what?), but if you're gaming all the time because you have no responsibilities, then I'd say the problem here isn't in the games.

Let me put it this way: the way I see it, being "addicted" to games isn't like being addicted to cigarettes or something. The games themselves don't hurt you at all. In most cases where people are "addicted" to games, people are so devoted to them that they give up time they should devote their job, school, family, friends, et cetera for gaming, which is what is actually hurting them. In your case, however, sounds like you don't have a job, school, very much family or accessible friends in the first place. Heck, gaming is what I'd do if I didn't have any responsibilities, plus a few other hobbies of mine.

If what you're saying is that you feel you can't devote time to or concentrate on work (probably the first responsibility you should reinstate) because all you really want is to be home playing games, then yes, that would be a gaming addiction. In that case, keep going to this "OLGA" place as a first resort. They sound like they've had success stories before. If that doesn't work out, I dunno, seek therapy or something. I, myself, can't really give you better advice than to go to the people who can help, since I don't really have the training and/or experience to direct you to any kind of road to recovery.

Out of curiosity, what's the link to this "OLGA" site?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote][FONT=comic sans] gamelessly[1:54:03 AM]: vicious cycles, but all I ever feel...really, when i game, is an emptiness
gamelessly[1:54:28 AM]: cold and yet familiar[/FONT][FONT=comic sans][FONT=Tahoma]Was gonna tl;dr, but this quote was hilarious. [/FONT]
[/FONT]

Posted by Ant

that wasn't short at all.

Posted by scylla

even though it's not loading up for me right now, the link to the site that I went to visit is:
http://www.olganonboard.org/

Posted by Slade

Are you sure this "gaming addiction" is the root of your problem? Seems like **** sucks otherwise, and you cope by playing games.

Posted by iluvgirlswithglasses

[quote=scylla]emptiness
Maybe you just need to play some good games. Runescape will not fill that void IMO.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Slade: Are you sure this "gaming addiction" is the root of your problem? Seems like **** sucks otherwise, and you cope by playing games.

Kinda what I felt like. Maybe there are other aspects of your life that need more attention than your "gaming addiction."