believes
appreciates
spatial perception
knows object function
fantasy based
presents possibilities
impetuous
risk taking

For people who don't know, people who use the left side are predominantly right-handed, and people who use the right side are predominantly left-handed.

She turns clockwise for me, but after I thought about it for a little while, I was able to see her going the other way. I'm mostly ambidextrous, but I guess the right side is dominant.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

It won't stop going clockwise for me, which is weird because I'm right-handed and I seem to kick *** at Math and suck at Philosophy.

edit: I closed the window, and re-opened it, and now she's going a different way. wtfffff

Posted by Ant

I wasn't paying attention to whichever way she was turning...SHE HAS NIPS SHOWING.

Clockwise4me

Posted by Xero

For the first minute, she was turning clockwise, but after reading the points are people who use their right brain mostly, she was turning anti-clockwise. Pretty weird.

RIGHT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
uses feeling
"big picture" oriented
imagination rules
symbols and images
present and future
philosophy & religion
can "get it" (i.e. meaning)
believes
appreciates
spatial perception
knows object function
fantasy based
presents possibilities
impetuous
risk taking

Most of those are right about me. Although I'm right-handed...

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

right. she never turned any other way

Posted by Admiral Anthrax

Left first. She turns right if you follow her foot, and left if you follow her hand.

Posted by Fate

It's ****ing me off so bad. She's going both directions.

Posted by Xenos

That's strange, everytime I look away and look back, she seems to change directions.

Posted by Arcadios

Right. Closed window and reopened, continued in the same direction..

Posted by Xero

I tried again and she kept turning clockwise this time. Even when after I looked away from the screen.

Posted by Iris

Seems like the foot the dancer balances on changes direction every once in a while. It twists around unnaturally and then the extended leg follows it. Not sure whether or not it's my eyes are just a hoax.

I opened it again and it started right and then immediately changed to left.

no matter where I look or how long I look away for, it's always clockwise for me...

Posted by fates warning

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: no matter where I look or how long I look away for, it's always clockwise for me...

same..

Posted by Gollum

I just look at the text beside the picture and unfocus my eyes, and it changes to counter clockwise. It's normally clockwise for me.

Posted by Fate

When I see her spinning in one direction, for the life of me I can't figure out how I see the other way. Weird. The switch for me is staring at the tip of the foot that is sticking out and imagining it being the opposite one.

Posted by junior senior

clockwise

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: no matter where I look or how long I look away for, it's always clockwise for me...

Same for me. But my sister says otherwise.

Posted by Average n00b

I saw it clockwise at first, but when I went to focus on the text it was going anti-clockwise for me.

Posted by Xero

Yup. Even after 4 times, still clockwise.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

First it was going counter-clockwise, but once I looked away for a bit then looked back it was going clockwise.

Posted by cool gamer dad

wtf...

how can you say clockwise? She's clearly turning counter-clockwise. I tried so hard to make her go the other way, but it just wouldn't work.

Left brain.

Posted by Shade

Both, apparently. I just focused on a visual of her changing directions, and bam.

Posted by Trigger

On first look, she was turning clockwise for me - and I am right handed. On first look, my partner saw it counter clockwise, then he looked away and turned back and it was clockwise for him. I looked away, say at the text or the address bar of my browser and not pay attention to the image, look back and she was anti-clockwise for me, and clockwise for my partner.

Spending a little more time with the image, I could force her to change directions as soon as I thought about the direction. For me, it had nothing to do with her legs, feet, hands or arms.

Posted by Slade

She's only turning clockwise for me. I thought I saw this exposed as a hoax before... but maybe not.

Wait, I just saw her go counterclockwise for as second, and then back again. 99% clockwise.

Posted by Legend Saber

Clockwise at first. Then I was able to concentrate really hard and make it anti-clockwise. After about two minutes I could control which direction she was spinning in, but still can't do both at once.

I'm left-handed.

Posted by Sable Wind

Right-handed, right-brained. She won't stop ****ing going clockwise.. *******it. I can't ****ing change it! Argh.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Fate: It's ****ing me off so bad. She's going both directions.

Funny, I've been furious with myself since I discovered this a few weeks ago because I'm driving myself crazy trying to get her to change direction. But I just can't see it. I can't even wrap my mind around how she could possibly be turning the other way.

I see it going clockwise, which is weird because, based on the characteristics of "right brain" and "left brain" people, I think I'm quite a bit of both, leaning just a bit towards "left brain."

Posted by Sable Wind

I just asked my brother in the room, he saw it going counter-clockwise first, then when I asked him about it again, he said he could see it both ways. And I still only see it one way. BARF.

Posted by Arcadios

Tried it again. Went clockwise till I tried making it go counter. Slowed down a bit, little by little but eventually goes back to rotating clockwise when I lose focus. :(

Posted by Xero

I did it!

She was going clockwise. I closed my eyes for a minute, pictured her going anti-clockwise and opened my eyes to see her going anti-clockwise! At last!

Posted by Iris

Hah, I finally got the hang of focusing to change direction

Posted by cool gamer dad

Yeah, I can't do it. Hopeless. Still going counter clockwise and staying that way.

Posted by cool gamer dad

I had this SUPER STRANGE HUNCH.

This is a hoax. I deleted my cache and cookies and whatnot and visited again, and now it's going clockwise.

Posted by Fate

No. :mad:

Posted by Iris

It's not a hoax. I refreshed multiple times and the image still has the same URL. It's really just your perception.

Posted by Skitzo Control

I had a good laugh over this because I read all your statements, and then I showed it to my friend, here. I see her moving clockwise or counter-clockwise, changing her direction at will. When my friend looked at it, he said he saw it counter-clockwise. How's this for entertainment: save the picture as a .gif and open it multiple times, and see if you can see the dancers turning different ways. If you have two open and one turns clockwise while the other turns counter-clockwise, your brain will explode.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Skitzo Control: If you have two open and one turns clockwise while the other turns counter-clockwise, your brain will explode.

I looked at optical illusions about an hour ago and now I have a headache because of that.
But I'll try it later on and see what happens to me. :)

Posted by Iris

Haha. I did that and they did go in opposite directions on occasion. They went the same moments afterwards, but overy so often they went opposite.

Mind is still in tact.

Posted by cool gamer dad

Quoting Iris: It's not a hoax. I refreshed multiple times and the image still has the same URL. It's really just your perception.

sigh :[

I just found it odd that I could switch her on command, after trying so hard to do it earlier, after I cleared my cache and deleted my cookies. Now I can make her body switch ways on command, but when I look at her foot, it never seems to go all the way around, and it never faces me.

Trippy.

Posted by Kit

Clock, then anti, then clock after reopening.

Posted by S

Quoting Linko_16: Funny, I've been furious with myself since I discovered this a few weeks ago because I'm driving myself crazy trying to get her to change direction. But I just can't see it. I can't even wrap my mind around how she could possibly be turning the other way.

I see it going clockwise, which is weird because, based on the characteristics of "right brain" and "left brain" people, I think I'm quite a bit of both, leaning just a bit towards "left brain."

Exactly the same for me. I can't even fathom it changing directions based on the way that the outer thigh looks in contrast to the inner.

Posted by WillisGreeny

I don't see how exactly this left-right brain sideness when really she's going both ways. You'll see what I mean by looking at the legs shrink and grow during the rotation. Notice something fishy? The stuck out leg (same with the arms,) shrink when they're about to dissapear in the body shadow. Our minds determin that shrinking as meaning it's behind her, so you never know which lim is really behind making the rotation possible of going both ways.

The ground shadow is also interesting, but adds more to the trick. The foot that rotates shrinks yet it is infront of the pivot leg...Since that's impossible, it adds into the effect of making her rotating both ways.

Now... The head took me a while, but I see how that works too. The angle of the head rotating doesn't stay constant. It's tilted down and to the side when the head is about to go into the body shadow, but when it comes out of the body shodow it's upright. That effect is what makes the body seem going a certain direction, yet by the angle of the chin it could be going either way.

Posted by Gollum

I can change it at will. For me, I just look slightly to the right of the screen and unfocus my eyes. If I choose to look back at the dancer while I see her leg sticking to the left in my peripheral vision, she'll turn one way, and if I look back when her leg is on the right, she turns the other. Works 100% of the time. For me anyway.

Posted by The Judge

I like how it shows her turning horizontally but a clock tends to face in a vertical fashion. Either way, clockwise.

Posted by Linkman

Clockwise, no mater how I looked at it, it was always clockwise. I think the trick is in the shadow. The shadow of the leg sticking out is actually turning in a counter clockwise motion, or appears to be anyway.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting Linkman: I think the trick is in the shadow. The shadow of the leg sticking out is actually turning in a counter clockwise motion, or appears to be anyway. Also, it depends how you look at it, if you see it spinning clockwise, you likely come to that conclusion by imagining looking at it overhead, but if you look at it from the ground up, it's counter clockwise.

It's going both ways, and the secret is the size of the lims, the ground shadow rotation, the face tilt, and then the bodyshadow as a whole. I've focused so much on the details to the point I can see both rotations happening one after the other. check my other post

Posted by Echo

Always clockwise. When I look at just the shadow I see the shadow turning anticlockwise, but as soon as I look back at the figure it's still going clockwise. I can't even understand how the figure could be going anticlockwise.

Oh ****, nevermind. JUST got her going anticlockwise. Sweet. Just closed my eyes for a few moments and checked again, really trying to imagine it going that direction.

Posted by G-Sides

this is bullshit
it was going counter for like 25 minutes and i was in an IM bi
tching to omni about how i couldn't get it to change and just like that, it fucking changed on me
and then i came back to read some more posts and it was counter again when i clicked back
:(
fuc
k it

Quoted post: I like how it shows her turning horizontally but a clock tends to face in a vertical fashion. Either way, clockwise.

Clockwise is always to the right, it doesn't matter if the object isn't vertical...

Posted by WillisGreeny

Where's the explanation as to how this shows left brain or right brain dominance? Everything I've found so far just accepts the author's word as law when it really makes no sense... I see it nothing more as a trick of photography, reguardless of which side of the brain you use more.

Posted by The underground

The reason that most woman can see it turn both way is because the female gender is the gender mor capable of using both hemispheres of the brain. male genders are more prone to only use one of the hemispheres.

80% - counter clockwise
20%- clockwise

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting The underground: The reason that most woman can see it turn both way is because the female gender is the gender mor capable of using both hemispheres of the brain. male genders are more prone to only use one of the hemispheres.

80% - counter clockwise
20%- clockwise

Why are so many people buying into this as being such a valid test? Are they all reading something that I'm not? How does this test prove anything? I see trick photography, nothing else.

Posted by Gollum

Quoting WillisGreeny: Why are so many people buying into this as being such a valid test? Are they all reading something that I'm not? How does this test prove anything? I see trick photography, nothing else.

Not defending the test, but some studies would make the underground correct. Look up the corpus callosum. Typically in schools it's taught that females have a larger one, and therefore, can connect both hemispheres of their brains better than men.

Of course, there are studies to the contrary.

Posted by Iris

Maybe clockwise and counter-clockwise directional skills lie in different sides of the brain?

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting Gollum: Not defending the test, but some studies would make the underground correct. Look up the corpus callosum. Typically in schools it's taught that females have a larger one, and therefore, can connect both hemispheres of their brains better than men.

Of course, there are studies to the contrary.

I've read some of those studies and they usually claim the women's brain difference involves tieing emotional responses and organizing thoughts in differently than men, it doesn't have much to do with making women both Left AND Right sided. I'm no doc, but, the brain is more complicated than just which side you use more. Even if this test is accurate, I radther hear a doctor tell me what women will see more often than a perdiction I could have contrived from reading a pamphlet about the corpus callosum. I understand what Underground was saying about the connected hemispheres, I don't agree to "The reason women can see it both ways" because it's a bogus claim without more data.

Posted by Fate

Even if it is "trick photography" like you say, it's how you perceive this trickery that matters.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting Fate: Even if it is "trick photography" like you say, it's how you perceive this trickery that matters.

Please, explain to me how my left sidedness brain is affecting how I use my Occipital Lobe differently than the right sidedness brain when looking at the picture. That's my problem here, no explanation as to how the tricker is related to the brain, making me question it a lot! And everyone reporting on this "find" just repeat the author, not providing anymore explanation. Doesn't it bother anyone else besides me that there's so little explanation?

Posted by protomanv4

Clockwise, I saw it going anti clockwise for a few sec.
lol , opened 2 of the same windows showing the pic, and it looked wierd for a few sec, then not weird then again ect. lol I'm sort-of ambidextrous.

Posted by Fate

Quoting WillisGreeny: Please, explain to me how my left sidedness brain is affecting how I use my Occipital Lobe differently than the right sidedness brain when looking at the picture. That's my problem here, no explanation as to how the tricker is related to the brain, making me question it a lot! And everyone reporting on this "find" just repeat the author, not providing anymore explanation. Doesn't it bother anyone else besides me that there's so little explanation?

Dude, how hard is it to get it? You access the part you use most first. The author probably ganked the image from some site and super-summarized it. That's it.

Posted by Trigger

Assuming that is true, how does that explain the instances where several users can see both directions and sometimes change directions at their own will? I do understand the concept you're trying to explain but if we look at this purely as a "accessed first," and I see it clockwise once, look away and then see it anti-clockwise the second time that would indicate it accessed one side first, then opn the second time accessed the other side first.

The more that one looks away and looks back to see it in a different direction, the less it becomes accessing a particular side first.

It's likely just an optical illusion and nothing more.

Posted by Fate

Quoting Trigger: Assuming that is true, how does that explain the instances where several users can see both directions and sometimes change directions at their own will? I do understand the concept you're trying to explain but if we look at this purely as a "accessed first," and I see it clockwise once, look away and then see it anti-clockwise the second time that would indicate it accessed one side first, then opn the second time accessed the other side first.

The more that one looks away and looks back to see it in a different direction, the less it becomes accessing a particular side first.

Some people are more balanced in their access to hemispheres, so I've heard. I guess it's also on your mood, too. If you click on the link after reading what everyone else said about it mostly going clockwise, you're most likely going to see it clockwise 'cause that's what you're expecting. I'm not too keen on the way hemispheres work, but it would make sense that the side you use first is likely to be the one you use most.

Posted by Omni

Today it goes counter-clockwise for me. I switch tabs to type that sentence, and now clockwise.

Posted by Crazy K

I got it to go clockwise and counter clockwise. What I did was move my finger in the direction I wanted it to go, and sometimes it worked. Cool!

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting Fate: Dude, how hard is it to get it? You access the part you use most first. The author probably ganked the image from some site and super-summarized it. That's it.

OR, it's complete bull ****, and the person posting it figured everyone would buy into it since most people can't see any other explanation. Like Vamp said, It's likely just an opstacle illusion. So sorry for not believing everything I read on the internet. I understand your thinking, that's not hard to get by any means. What I don't understand is your insistancy of filling in the blanks with your rough understanding of the brain's mechanics. Why do you think this test is true?

My complaint continues to be there's not enough information with the test's validness for what it says it shows. I could come up with 100's of explanations on my own to explain how the test could be valid, but I'm not a doctor so I know they could be extremly wrong. Where's the un-super-summarized version?
Why are people who've known to have characteristics of a left sided brain see the rotation the wrong way?

Posted by Omni

Protip: Most people are right-handed and use the left side of the brain more, whether or not they think they have right-sided characteristics. That explains why most people see it going in that direction.

Posted by Iris

[URL]http://www.answers.com/topic/cerebral-dominance?cat=health[/URL]

Fate's right. Stop trying to poke holes in it when it's perfectly logical.

Posted by WillisGreeny

umm no, that source proves the existance of cerebral dominance and how it has been observed. If I was saying Fate was wrong to believing cerebral dominance existing, then you would have me, but my complaint is directed at the spinning girl test showing which side is dominant.

Posted by Iris

[quote]
Cerebral dominance is the ability of one cerebral hemisphere (commonly referred to as the left or right side of the brain) to predominately control specific tasks. Accordingly, damage to a specific hemisphere can result in an [URL="http://www.answers.com/topic/impairment"][COLOR=#003399]impairment[/COLOR][/URL] of certain identifiable functions. For example, trauma to the left hemisphere can impair functions associated with speech, reading, and writing. Trauma to the right hemisphere can result in a decreased ability to perform such tasks as judging distance, [COLOR=black]determining direction[/COLOR], and recognizing tones and similar artistic functions.

If damage to a side of the brain can effect your judgement of direction, obviously your ability to use that side of the brain can determine whether or not you see something clockwise or counterclockwise. Read harder.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Two way street Miss. Trauma to the right hemisphere results in decreased ability to determin direction, reguardless of which sidedness you're stronger with. This implies that reguardless of sidedness, we all use the right hemisphere to determine direction.

Once again, I'm feeling like some are still not following what I'm saying. This TEST could be bull **** without the author's explanation to how it works, and even with that it could still mean nothing. Without seeing evidence of how this test proves anything then hell yes I'm going to find (not poke) holes. It's no offense to Fate, I see where she's comeing from, same with Iris.

Have any of you actually taken an intensive brain mapping survay before? About 2 years ago I volunteered for tests dealing with left/right sided brain analysis, done by Doctors, doctors that spend their entire lives studying the subject, and even they said they couldn't be 100% sure which side it truely was. Those tests were NOTHING like this optical illusion. Other than questions like "Which shape seems the largest" most of the stuff having shapes dealt with color schems and contour lines. Take a 2 hour brain map test at a lab and tell me if this 10 second test proves jack ****.

Posted by Fate

There's no shrinking. Even if there was, the design of the image plays a part in which part of the brain you use most.

Posted by junior senior

wow willisgreeny, have fun being banned

Posted by WillisGreeny

meh, I was tricked. Didn't mean to.

Posted by Iris

It's a clean looping gif. It doesn't shrink by itself after a period of time and some people can see it go in one direction the whole time because that's how their brain works.

It's an optical illusion, and it just so happens that how you perceive it may be due to which part of your brain you access most.

or it's an optical illusion