A lot of you may think Ganondorf is slow, but watch this.

Posted by Litbut

Yep. Higher end of my average skill level.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=K57a_TthUGs

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK

Pretty good, but he's still slow, relative to a fast Shiek or Fox.

Posted by Litbut

But that's just relative. It's true with Captain Falcon too. But he doesn't count. He's one of the characters that as soon as you start playing as, you're a professional.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

no wavedashing, not interested

Posted by Litbut

Why wavedash? I've never really studied it because I can live without it. Plus it takes out the challenge in fighting your friends or various in-game foes. So do all the other glitch techniques.

Posted by S

Ganondorf is as strong there as he is everywhere. All characters can be played well, some just have less over-all potential, and thus are not mastered by many so they seem to suck.

Posted by Litbut

True. If you can master people like Mr. Game & Watch, Ice Climbers and Ganondorf, you have skill. Mr. Game & Watch is fun to use every now and then. He was one of my best.

Posted by S

I know a guy that lays waste with Mewtwo at the local college. It's pretty sick how strong some of these characters are, people just think the tiers are farther off than they really are.

Posted by Litbut

Well yeah. If you know how to use a character, they become so much stronger than people expect.

Posted by Ant

An amazing revelation to be sure.

But uh, yeah. Didn't see anything really that amazing.

Yeah, seriously. It really wasn't that impressive =/

Posted by Litbut

It wasn't meant to be.

Yes it was.

Posted by Litbut

I wasn't trying to impress anyone. I just wanted to prove that Ganondorf is a lot faster than people think he is.

Posted by Iris

Psh, I can kick level 9 Fox *** with Zelda and she's even slower. It's not really about running speed, there's plenty of other effective ways of getting to your opponent.

Posted by Corrupt

Quoting Iris: Psh, I can kick level 9 Fox *** with Zelda and she's even slower. It's not really about running speed, there's plenty of other effective ways of getting to your opponent.

Gotta love that spark kick, huh? My friend Chris has gotten me with that so many times in our low-tier matches. While we all know that speed can be very much considered an advantage, there are some instances in which I feel that playing in a relaxed, almost laid-back manner can help you win a fight. For me, Mewtwo and (to a lesser extent) Ganondorf are prime examples of this. I don't go over to you, you come to me.

Wait, you decide to camp instead?

...well, **** you. Though, fortunately, I've only really experienced that with one person, who will remain unnamed for now. The bastard knows who he is, though.

Posted by MottaTheHutt

The ice-climbers are so underrated. :(

if you know all the glitches with the ice-climbers and how to control them independANTly they're a ****ing awesome duo.

Posted by Corrupt

Oh, I love the Ice Climbers. Wobbling and de-syncing? Sign me up.

Though I will admit that I enjoy coming up with ways to screw my partner over, mostly when I'm fooling around. You know, like edge-hogging your partner at 0% damage. When I want to show off, though, I'll do it in the middle of a "serious" match and just fly solo. Results may vary.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

mewtwo and ganon videos on the weekend guys, brb

Posted by Zeta

Due the results of BassGS's Sonic thread, I expect Ganondorf to be tonight/tomorrow's update.

Posted by Litbut

Hope he, Dr. Mario and Mr. Game & Watch return. But as I said, a) Sonic's Final Smash will most likely be Super Sonic, b) If Sonic's in it, there's a greater chance of Shadow being in it because of villain demand, and c) if Shadow's in it, his Final Smash is most likely going to be Super Shadow. Ganondorf's Final Smash would be interesting. Same with Dr. Mario's and Mr. Game & Watch's.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=BassGS;760064]a) Sonic's Final Smash will most likely be Super Sonic
... You watched the video, right?

Posted by Litbut

Yeah. I checked it at 6AM today and almost fell out of my chair when I saw Sonic.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Remember what happened at the end of the video?

y'know, when he became super sonic?

Posted by Litbut

I'm expecting that to be his Final Smash.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

... no shi[COLOR=Silver]t. Not much of a prediction if it's already confirmed.
[/COLOR]

haha, oh wow

Posted by Litbut

True.

Posted by Jarulara

lol Ganondorf's final smash has to be Ganon, I mean Bowser's is Giga Bowser... It would only make sense....but yeah I would love to see someone owning with Jigglypuff..probably the only character I can't work with..and Ness but it's cause I don't play ness..

Posted by Ant

Jigglypuff isn't really that hard to use, at all.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Only problem I have with Jigglypuff is that she's pretty floaty, and I like to hop around a lot.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

[quote=BassGS;759112]Why wavedash? I've never really studied it because I can live without it. Plus it takes out the challenge in fighting your friends or various in-game foes. So do all the other glitch techniques.

How'd I miss that, lmao

Posted by Pit

"Why wavedash? I've never really studied it because I can live without it. Plus it takes out the challenge in fighting your friends or various in-game foes. So do all the other glitch techniques."

I reckon you've never heard of a thing called 'video games'. Usually, in development, these 'video games' have various features that are overlooked. Like in the 'video game' Mario Kart, rather than just using powerslides in corners, people said "hey, I can do this on a straight pathway and I'll go faster". In order to properly do this, a player must hold L or R and press on the D Pas "Left Right Left Right" until the proper color of the sparks in visible and release for a mini turbo.

Some say this is cheap and takes no skill, but upon further observation, precise timing and kart hopping are necessary for said technique to work. This precise timing and maneuvering is called "skill". In order for a player to do this, he or she first needs to acquire the "skill".

Similarly in Smash Brothers Melee for the Nintendo Gamecube Entertainment System, a maneuver was found called wavedashing. Wavedashing, a skill that takes practice to do makes you a more CHALLENGing opponent. If you learn to do it, your friends will quickly pick up on it and learn that skill as well. As you play more matches, your wavedashing skill increases as you use it more.

Does it take the fun out of games? No. It makes you utilize it so you have more options, more strategies, more mindgames, and more comboes. Wavedashing isn't just in Smash but also various fighting games.

Point is: I love cocks.

Real Point: Exploiting a feature that a game didn't intend to have takes skill. It's already easy to master what's in the game and play it how it's "supposed to be played", but what's so fun about being tied to the same gameplay as everyone else? That's why Smash Bros. is so fun, you can actually think outside the box.

Just think about it as if you have an extra ability, like another B button. It's really no different.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I don't see how it takes out the challenge. Wavedashing doesn't make you any g0d-like at Smash Brothers - with my whole two tournaments of experience, I feel SSBM comes down to clever thinking and timing moreso than knowledge of every nook and cranny of the game.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

a WHOLE 2 tournaments!?

x, calm down there, you have to just, calm down

I'll tell you about clever thinking, a player with massive amount of tech will destroy anything you're thinking. Thinking or not, if you can't keep up to someones technical level in a match, your only thinking process is to shoot a projectile if you have one, or wait for the person to storm a speed storm at you, and if they're moving that fast and you're not, excellent chance they're a move ahead of you and you couldn't do anything about their approach. Very few people don't abuse wavedashing and other tactics, but they still use them in matches in the most effective way possible. Unless your WHOLE 2 tournaments were MLG's and you did excellent without it, then ignore this, but I highly doubt that :cool:

Ganons final smash should make him turn into Link, or have a sword combo

Posted by Iris

Wavedashing does kind of help the game not to devolve into mindless button-smashing in the higher-up levels. Though it's annoying to hear it referred to as the greatest thing since sliced bread all the time, if you ever want to tournament with a bunch of overweight elitist nerds, you'd better learn how to do it. Otherwise, playing normally and practicing character skill rather than game mechanics works out fine and is equally enjoyable.

Quoted post: Otherwise, playing normally and practicing character skill rather than game mechanics works out fine and is equally enjoyable.

Except you'll eventually hit a wall with the former which really no more can be learned. That's where wavedashing and mind tricks come in.

Posted by Linko_16

I only try wavedashing with characters who can do it really well. Luigi, for instance.

Posted by S

I can't wavedash for **** with Falco. ;/

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=S

Posted by Litbut

I have one of me owning with Ness. I should make one of Jigglypuff too. One of my ex-friends got so mad when I beat him with Jigglypuff. He said I cheated. He did that every time one of my friends beat him. He also wouldn't let us use our best characters because we were "being cheap" and he had to spam Luigi's fire uppercut on me to stand any chance against me.

Sorry for the late reply.

Also I seem to have done it by accident a few times. But it's just technical ability. I have, so far, only one friend who stands any sort of chance against me and we both don't need to use technical skills. Though it could be useful in some situations.

Posted by Linko_16

Jigglypuff kicks *** inside out.

In after "Tiers, guys. Tiers."

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

hay hows it goin, passed more than a weekend

ignore most of the voice

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mXSFK9JWZ3k
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dsYq6kzKBsg
http://youtube.com/watch?v=GLsj4hgmZbY

I feel like brit with this legendary comeback

mewtwo videos when I upload them, those 3 are just my mediocre ganondorf

pretty ****ing cool. upload some more

Posted by Ant

CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK

Posted by Linko_16

That looked really boring. Not just to watch, but it seems like a boring way to play. WAVEDASHWAVEDASHWAVEDASHTURNAROUNDTURNAROUNDTURNAROUNDJUMPWAVEDASHTURNAROUNDTURNAROUNDJUMPATTACKANDMISSrinserepeat

besides lack of items, how was that really that different from regular smash games to make it boring? I mean, what the ****?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I thought it actually had more going on than a regular Smash fight. The first Cap vs Ganon match, especially. Some insane **** going on in that video.

That guy's Captain Falcon was tiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Linko_16: That looked really boring. Not just to watch, but it seems like a boring way to play. WAVEDASHWAVEDASHWAVEDASHTURNAROUNDTURNAROUNDTURNAROUNDJUMPWAVEDASHTURNAROUNDTURNAROUNDJUMPATTACKANDMISSrinserepeat

When you're able to do it, or play someone who actually is a challenge in smash, then say something.

What I find really boring to play is when people come at you and fall for every single one of your moves because they suck. I don't see how watching someone with actually skill play is more boring than watching 2 noobs play.

Posted by S

Quoting Pit: When you're able to do it, or play someone who actually is a challenge in smash, then say something.

What I find really boring to play is when people come at you and fall for every single one of your moves because they suck. I don't see how watching someone with actually skill play is more boring than watching 2 noobs play.

I've played against at least one of the top ranked in California, and it's still ****ing boring just to wave dash around like that. Turtling bores the hell out of me in most games, Smash takes it to an extreme.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Try watching a match without wavedashing, shinesparking, etc. It's ten times more boring than this. Anyway, the videos aren't supposed to be entertaining. The people in them are playing to win, not to amuse Youtubers.

Seriously, some of the combos I seen in DB's videos are almost inconceivable to me, and I was a Smash semifinalist last month. :(

Posted by Iris

I can see how it's more fun in a challenging sort of way, but I definitely prefer to play normally. I hope I never get so good that I have to play that way.

Also, gtfo elitism.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Pit: When you're able to do it, or play someone who actually is a challenge in smash, then say something.

Yes, because the way I play means I'm not a challenge and actually a n00b.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[CENTER][SIZE=6][COLOR=White][COLOR=Purple]LINKO[/COLOR] VS PIT
AT THE [COLOR=Red]BATTLEFIELD[/COLOR] ARENA
[SIZE=4]Coming 02/10/08[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Posted by Linko_16

lol

Basically what I meant was that even if it technically gives you a better chance of winning, capitalizing on these few elite tactics would really ruin the game for me.

Posted by Iris

no items, 5 stock, 10 minute time limit.

No fox allowed.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Yeah, so wavedashing isn't coming back anyway.

[URL="http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=120960&page=2"]http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=120960&page=1[/URL]

Posted by Linko_16

BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT

Posted by Pit

Quoting Iris: I can see how it's more fun in a challenging sort of way, but I definitely prefer to play normally. I hope I never get so good that I have to play that way.

Also, gtfo elitism.

Of course it's more challenging. I mean, it isn't even about being elite, just that these tactics add more depth to the game.

I understand, Smash is meant to be played with items on crazy stages. I mean, what fun would be Mario Kart if out remove the crazy stages and take out items? Wouldn't that just make the game a racing game?

Well that's the logic behind removing certain aspects in Melee. Removing items, setting a time limit, and removing stages (though some I highly disagree with from being removed) puts the game at a balance and purely bases fighting on skill.

Ever play Mario Kart DS online or at a tournament? Man, was everybody snaking, you know, the tactic at VGC which people consider useless and renders the game not fun, yet I had a blast playing the game, doing it, and coming in second.

The only thing that gets to me is that you guys think such tactics are only prevalent in smash, when they're in every game you play. Third strike, I'm pretty sure the developers didn't intend for every character to have an infinite combo, nor charge partitioning, etc. Every game has that overlooked "flaw" that everyone will use to their advantage.

If you wanna see a vid with items on, I'll gladly arrange something with my brother. You'll see how matches, the pace, the tactics, etc, change completely.

Do it.

Anywho, specifically how DB was playing in those videos, I can't exactly see how it was boring. It was much faster and intense than straight-up regular smash. I could understand if he wavedashed away from his opponent every time he charged, but he didn't.

seriously, sounds like a case of bawwwwwww to me.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Pit: I understand, Smash is meant to be played with items on crazy stages. I mean, what fun would be Mario Kart if out remove the crazy stages and take out items? Wouldn't that just make the game a racing game?

Well that's the logic behind removing certain aspects in Melee. Removing items, setting a time limit, and removing stages (though some I highly disagree with from being removed) puts the game at a balance and purely bases fighting on skill.

To say "there is the crazy fun way and the focused, skill-based way and they are both perfectly fine" works for me. I agree with that whole heartedly. My beef are with people who insist the "crazy fun" way is stupid and refuse to ever play like that. I have a friend we never invite to Smash Bros get-togethers any more because he insists that the items are turned off, that we only play in Final Destination, et cetera. Does he win like that? Sure, about 70% of the time. But I don't see how he has any fun playing like that all the time. I think my brain would rot out.

Well that's understandable.

Posted by Linko_16

Glad we could come to an agreement, then, my esteemed comrade.

I still don't agree with the fact that you find that way of playing boring.

Posted by Linko_16

"An understanding," I guess I meant.

'Cause it's not like I'm sitting here thinking that people who play that way are just in denial about how boring it really is. I mean, they have fun with it, that's obvious.

No. Didn't you hear how focused they were? Fun doesn't factor into this type of playing style. It's about winning and nothing else. If you're having fun you might as well just get the **** out because you already lost.

Posted by S

I have fun being focused, in fact pushing myself to a new extreme is vastly fun. I just don't like turtling as a style.

Being focused is rarely fun for me. I even play better when I'm unfocused and talking about a completely different subject than the game at hand.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

If I focus and overthinking things, I end up forgetting to use my instincts. Case in point, being Halo 3.

'GUY MIGHT BE COMING ROUND MY FLANK BEST TRY AND COUNTER WITH A GRENADE NO WAIT WHAT IF HE'S STOPPED AND TRYING TO GET OFF MY MOTION TRACKER OH JEE -'

LOST THE LEAD

Better just to react what's happening in the now rather than focusing too much.

Pretty much. After awhile most things are second-nature and it's best to just let your subconscious do it's own thing. It knows better than me in most cases.

Posted by kyubikirby

I'm that "annoying camper" corrupt was talking about on the first stage. I prefer to just try to react to whats thrown at me, yes I focus, but only to a certain extent.

And While I prefer tourney rules (4-stock, 8 min, no items, restricted stages)
I still like messing around every now and then (giant melee, very high pokeballs) People who only play tourney need to take the stick out of their ***.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

[quote=kyubikirby;763277]I'm that "annoying camper" corrupt was talking about on the first stage. I prefer to just try to react to whats thrown at me, yes I focus, but only to a certain extent.

And While I prefer tourney rules (4-stock, 8 min, no items, restricted stages)
I still like messing around every now and then (giant melee, very high pokeballs) People who only play tourney need to take the stick out of their ***.

you sound like you have a log up yours

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting kyubikirby: I'm that "annoying camper" corrupt was talking about on the first stage. I prefer to just try to react to whats thrown at me

I catch myself doing this if I'm thrown out of the action and I'm trying to return. I often think I see someone about to be thrown my way, so I start a smash, but it turned out I was wrong and wasting my time, so I go to enter the fray again and I think I see someone about to be thrown my way again... rinse and repeat. I have to be careful not to do it too much.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;762845]pretty ****ing cool. upload some more

Need batteries, it slows down uploading more than one at a time, so, still working on that

[quote=Ant;762862]CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK

I love you more and more

[quote=Linko_16;762905][COLOR=indigo]That looked really boring. Not just to watch, but it seems like a boring way to play. WAVEDASHWAVEDASHWAVEDASHTURNAROUNDTURNAROUNDTURNAROUNDJUMPWAVEDASHTURNAROUNDTURNAROUNDJUMPATTACKANDMISSrinserepeat[/COLOR]

Probably the best comment here, and most important post here. Though, I can suggest not to play like that, you might fall asleep and all. Too much processing usually turns away players, understandable.

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;762912]besides lack of items, how was that really that different from regular smash games to make it boring? I mean, what the ****?

Lack of items, though usually you'd think it would change the tide of the match, it rarely does and gives more of an unfair advantage to someone who's winning. Chances are they know how to catch everything you throw. West coast in the past had items in their tournies and the east didn't, and it was noticeable the skill level in both sides, eventually west coast eliminated items as it wasn't helping them get any better.

[quote=The X;762919]I thought it actually had more going on than a regular Smash fight. The first Cap vs Ganon match, especially. Some insane **** going on in that video.

That guy's Captain Falcon was tiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

You thought it was tight? In less than a year I turned him from guy who liked items to competitive beast who loves every technique he's learned, and is much much better at technical skill than I am, he's better known as Skwinkle Mas.

[quote=Pit;762981]When you're able to do it, or play someone who actually is a challenge in smash, then say something.

For the record, I actually enjoy playing the way I play, and the videos were just to showcase what Ganondorf can do and struggle against a higher rated character.

[quote=S

Posted by S

Turtling is relying completely on defensive moves and only attacking on reprisal, or when an oppurtunity in which your character has favor presents itself.

And he kicks my ***, but the first time I played him, I beat him with two stocks left. He didn't expect it or something, but I spiked him a few times with Falco. That was the only time we ever 1v1'd (I avoid them at the college. Some pricks hang out there for 1v1's.). He rapes me in melees.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

OH, alright, :cool: I think I may be turtley, too hard to do anything without getting a free hit in there, as mewtwo is hard to use on his own

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aG1zpNstz2w
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xi8WD8aYLTI
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vIe6Jj7OWTw
http://youtube.com/watch?v=UdLvFLI3pMk

Getting a new controller tomorrow though, controller was doing massive failure the last month, most of these videos are disgusting and crappy :cool:

Quoted post: Fun is had, but more is had in team matches.

No fun is had. Too intense... too focused. It's hard to pull of those wavdashing techniques you know? You need to be focused.

And again, good videos. Man, remember when you had to put them in an email and access it from there? Good times.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Dark Bulb 4.3;763723]
I've never been a semifinalist, but I'm in New York, I'm almost something here. That and slow matches tend to bore me, and by slow, I mean, wow that video is in slow motion. Hard to imagine anyone falling into ganons forward smash without their shield being broken, thing takes an hour to be released.

My tournament didn't have anyone who could wavedash efficiently, and the final was Kirby vs Link. I'm pretty sure you'd have cleaned up. It didn't take much skill to get as far as I did.

MEWTWO VIDEOS **** YEAH. I love him.

Posted by Iris

Super Smash Bros Melee is super high technical.

I definitely know what Bulb means by getting into the habit of playing tournament style. I can't remember the last time I played with items on against an AI or any Special Melees.

Posted by S

I did all that stuff before I even knew there were Smash Tournaments. I have fun now and then though, like 99 stock matches at 300% super sudden death, and bomb-ombs on super high.

Only time I ever did 99 stock match was to get Mewtwo. Good times.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I done a sixty stock once with my brother, and we forgot we had items turned off. Aaaand it was on Battlefield.

so boring

Posted by Zeta

I just tried my typical Red Shell game with Super Sudden Death and 2x damage ratio.

Holy ****.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Only time I ever did 99 stock match was to get Mewtwo. Good times.

I thought you got mew two by playing 700 games or playing 20 hours. Not getting a certain amount of stock death.

Anyhow I played 50 stock to bore my brother to ignore me.

Quoted post: I thought you got mew two by playing 700 games or playing 20 hours. Not getting a certain amount of stock death.

I left the match running while I was at school for a couple of days. Worked nicely.