Parts of games that scared the hell out of you

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Self-explanatory.

First one that comes to mind is one of the first Fighter's Guild missions in Oblivion. One of the villagers was reporting break-ins every night at his store, and your mission was to hide somewhere in the shop and catch for the bandits. I show up and since the place is empty, so I go upstairs and start stealing every item I can find, pretty much forgetting about my objective. Suddenly, there's someone talking downstairs and I head down. nope nothing, must have imaAUAHGHGUA GET YOUR SWORD AWAY FROM ME FIREBALLFIREBALLAAAAAH then the gang cornered me in a bedroom and beat me to death with their weapons. :(

Mario drowning in Super Mario 64 scared the hell out of me too. Hearing him choke and gasp while the life bar screams 'BEEEP BEEEEEEP BEEEEEP BOOOOP' made me panic really badly. Plus, the stage with the giant Eel just doubled my fear of underwater stages in SM64.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

If I play Hexen at night, most of the later levels freak me out. The whole game is very dark, and enemies tend to sneak up behind you in a few instances. I can't really think of any other game that's really scared me.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Castlevania 64. Right near the beginning there's a lightning storm and it strikes one of the trees with no warning and drops it in your path. Scared the **** out of me.

A more recent one is in Bioshock. It's when you're in the medical pavilion and get one of your first tonics. You grab it and turn around and there's a horribly disfigured splicer just standing inches away from your face. Jesus, I must've jumped three feet off my bed.

Posted by muffla

to tell you the truth my most memorable time i got really scared from a game was in doom three, one of the first levels after the place goes to hell (hehe literaly) you open the door and an imp imeteatly jumps out at you. other than that the general creepy atmosphere of FEAR.

Oh yeah, and the single drone in Halo 3 that flies out of the hole kinda made me jump.

Posted by Xero

Ocarina of Time (N64): In the Forest temple, there wre 2 rooms where those hands would fal on you out of nowhere and bring you back to the level. And everytime, before they showe up, you'd hear a loud noise behind you and it sorta freaked me out. Mostly if I saw it falling right behind me.

Twilight Princess (Wii): I gotta say that Blizzeta kinda scared me a little bit just before she transformed into a twilight iced foe. When she turned around and showed her freaky evil face.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Sucre;758767]Ocarina of Time (N64): In the Forest temple, there wre 2 rooms where those hands would fal on you out of nowhere and bring you back to the level. And everytime, before they showe up, you'd hear a loud noise behind you and it sorta freaked me out. Mostly if I saw it falling right behind me.

Oh yeah, definitely. Shadow Hands in most Zelda games have creeped me out.

Ikana Canyon (Majora's Mask) scared the crap out of me back in the day. The eerie silence and grim town... then SUDDENLY, SKELETORS

Oh man, floormasters were the ****ing **** back in the day. Definitely creepy.

Posted by Zeta

Mother****ing Regenerators. :(

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Zeta;758800]Mother****ing Regenerators. :(

[IMG]http://halowiki.net/images/thumb/9/99/Regenerator_Header.jpg/800px-Regenerator_Header.jpg[/IMG]

Zeta's scared of a green lightbulb? lol j/k

RE4 Regenerators were kinda creepy, but easy enough to take down that they weren't scary.

Posted by Kit

Loads of stuff makes me jump.

One example is on Bioshock, there's the room with a coffin and as you approach it a splicer jumps up from behind it.

Posted by G-Sides

in re4, shortly after you get on the island and you're in the building sneakin that **** and the flaming body comes out of the incinerator at you. i'm pretty sure i screamed like a ***** and yanked my controller out of the gamecube. :/

an honorable mention goes to the ending of shadow of the colossus. it didn't scare me so much as it did just depress the hell out of me.

Huh, I don't remember that. When was it?

Also, ending of SotC sucked. Halo 2 levels of suck.

Posted by Kit

erm, if I remember right it was in Arcadia.

Posted by Xero

Quoting The X:
Ikana Canyon (Majora's Mask) scared the crap out of me back in the day. The eerie silence and grim town... then SUDDENLY, SKELETORS

Yeah those skeletors appeared suddenly in front of me with a loud but fast noise. I remember jumping the first time it appeared. Unexpected.
But I didn't find the overall city very scary. I loved the music playing in the back. My favourite version out of the 4.

Posted by MottaTheHutt

The incenerator guy on RE4 G-sides mentioned. That's the only part of RE4 that made me jump.

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: A more recent one is in Bioshock. It's when you're in the medical pavilion and get one of your first tonics. You grab it and turn around and there's a horribly disfigured splicer just standing inches away from your face. Jesus, I must've jumped three feet off my bed.
I was gonna say that.

There's been a ton of games that made me jump at parts, but the one I can think of that totally scared the poo out of me was Resident Evil 4. It's when you have a choice of taking the left or right path out of the village. The first time I played I went left and there's the part when you jump into the pit and fight the two chainsaw sisters. I hate those *****es. I could never even play the village map on mercenaries. :(

Posted by Average n00b

Super Mario 64. When you go in the room that has a Peach painting in the distance, and when you run toward it, it turns into Bowser.

That creeped me out when I first played that, but I was 6-8 at the time and got scared easily.

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Average n00b: Super Mario 64. When you go in the room that has a Peach painting in the distance, and when you run toward it, it turns into Bowser.

That creeped me out when I first played that, but I was 6-8 at the time and got scared easily.
LOL if I remember correctly that scared me too.

Posted by Zeta

Speaking of Mario 64...

"Oh hey cool there's a piano in this roo- OH *** WHAT THE ****!"

Posted by MottaTheHutt

Yeah they even put a red coin above it too... :(

Posted by Slade

[quote]Mario drowning in Super Mario 64 scared the hell out of me too.

Plus, the stage with the giant Eel just doubled my fear of underwater stages in SM64.

Much like irl, deep, unknown waters in games freak me out a little. I remember getting really anxious in SM64 because the camera would be kind of restricted and I couldn't ever make sure there was nothing else in the water with me. Also, the underwater parts of Unreal scared me a ton when I first played it, mostly because those snake alien things are so fast in the water. But hell, even the little fish that nibble away at your health scared me, too. "Hey, there's some health in that pond. I'll just hop in and... WHY IS MY SCREEN BLINKING"

I really suck at games actually designed to be scary. Many times in both RE4 and Doom 3 I've yelled HOLY **** and flipped out.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Average n00b: Super Mario 64. When you go in the room that has a Peach painting in the distance, and when you run toward it, it turns into Bowser.

Thinking about it...I think what scared me more when I played this game (I was 6) was when you came to a door and heard bowser go "hahaha" with a keyboard music in the back. I remember having a chill in the back.

Posted by Average n00b

Quoting Sucre: Thinking about it...I think what scared me more when I played this game (I was 6) was when you came to a door and heard bowser go "hahaha" with a keyboard music in the back. I remember having a chill in the back.

Yeah..I never went in that room again for a while until I was serious of actually beating the game.

Also, if you died in Banjo and Kazooie it kinda scared me how the girl turned really fat and ugly..*Shudder*

Posted by Xero

Banjo Kazooie? Nah That witch was more funny than anthing else. Her...neice?...was very funny too. Kinda ruined the whole spooky theme.

Posted by Zeta

Quoting Average n00b: Also, if you died in Banjo and Kazooie it kinda scared me how the girl turned really fat and ugly..*Shudder*

Really? I thought it was more like "HOLY **** THE WITCH JUST TURNED HOT YOU ARE THE BEST GAME OVER EVER!"

Posted by TimeSkipz

That inside out thing with the big tounge(I think it's called a razortounge or something) from RE2

Posted by Degeneration

For whatever reason, the last colossus in SotC had me frozen for a few seconds. All I could do was stare at it, thinking, "Either walk toward me so I can kill you, or quit looking at me." Yeah, he turned out to be a Time Attack favorite.

RE4 got to me a couple of times. Curse those regenerators and their... breathing...

Posted by Roger Smith

Quoting Rddflag: That inside out thing with the big tounge(I think it's called a razortounge or something) from RE2

.....a licker?

Posted by WillisGreeny

The dogs in the RE remake for Gamecube scared the hell out of me when I had the volume down.

Half-Life and those leeches in the water kinda freaked me out because I didn't expect it at all.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

One of the creepiest moments I've ever found in games was still in the otherwise mediocre ghosty adventure game, Amber: Journeys Beyond. You find a pyramid on a desk that looks like the one on the back of the dollar bill. When you pick it up, you see that it functions like a Magic 8-Ball. The first couple of times you shake it, it comes up with "Yes" "Maybe" "Cannot Predict Now" that sort of thing. Around the 4th or 5th try, though, it says "Help Me" That's all it will say from then on, too.

Posted by TimeSkipz

Quoting Roger Smith: .....a licker?

Yeah the first one you see on the ceiling in the police department building

Posted by D.J Cat

Like a lot of people I had a few scary moments with Super Mario 64, mostly cause of how young I was.
I got scared of the locked door, Bowser's laugh and the music too. :o

And Ocarina of Time when I first played it back then going into the graveyard, and then into the royal tomb.
It just so happened to be raining and dark outside when I was up to that section as well.

More recently (as in 3 or so years ago) it was Metroid Prime.
(Potential spoilers here)

When you get used to how a room is meant to be thats cool, but when you go back and the light fades, and this creepy, intense music starts kicking in, followed by the bright figures of ghosts appearing and the screeching, loud noise they made...
I must admit they did that so well.
I killed them in a panic, and then ran back as fast as I could and saved the game.
I couldn't actually face up to them for a while, I would get to the room where I knew they would appear and wait for a minute, and then just turn the game off, thinking "nuh".

Posted by Xero

Quoting D.J Cat:
And Ocarina of Time when I first played it back then going into the graveyard, and then into the royal tomb.
It just so happened to be raining and dark outside when I was up to that section as well.

Thanx for mentionning that. The graveyard just reminded me of re-deads.

The very first time I saw the market place in front of Hyrule's castle 7 years later, I gotta say I was quite scared when everything became all dark and filled with re-deads all over the place doing their paralyzing scream.

Yet another scary memory added to the list.

Posted by Kendra, Warrior Babe

The unending staircase in Mario 64. I STILL have nightmares about that! :)

Posted by Roger Smith

I think I made a thread about this a long time ago, but Goldeneye 64 just had an eerie feeling. Like the Bunker and both Severnaya levels. And the enemies appearing out of nowhere didn't help either. Dexy knows what I'm talking about.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Several parts of 7th Guest was scary first time playing through.

Posted by Dexter

I recall jumping at the sight of the very first dinosaur in Turok 2. The crowd with me were startled as well. We named the dinosaur Henry.

Taboo: The Sixth Sense, scared me long after I turned it off. It haunts me to this day.

Posted by Ant

RE2, and Silent Hill 2 are both really ****ing creepy on completely different levels. Oh, and the RE1 remake on GC, always scared of going around a corner and having a zombie pop out scared the **** out me. ****, that whole game scared me.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Roger Smith;759272]I think I made a thread about this a long time ago, but Goldeneye 64 just had an eerie feeling. Like the Bunker and both Severnaya levels. And the enemies appearing out of nowhere didn't help either. Dexy knows what I'm talking about.

Night-time Severnaya was scary as hell. The music, the low visibility, and the scary-*** enemies - up until that point, all the bad guys had comically ugly faces, and now they were dressed up in freaky snow camo. I never even tried to get the cheats for that level.

Posted by TEAMBAJA

I'll have to say the first time I had the dogs jump through the window on the original Resident Evil. I wasnt ready for that.

And the flaming dude they talked about earlier in RE4.

Posted by Crazy K

Anytime during Silent Hill 2 and the very little I've played of RE4.

Posted by Ridley_04

Dr. Salvador, single blade chainsaw, Dr. Salvador Double bladed Chainsaw, Bella Sisters, Garrador, and Saddler. Google those names exactly, and you will know what I'm talking about.
RE4 BTW.

Posted by username0

easy was palying doom 3 on hte x-box. I was at the part where that dog-like thing comes. i go in front then... boom!!!! the thing bust in. i threw the control at the t.v. leaped 3 feet backand **** my self.

Posted by Unite

RE2 licker jumping threw the one way mirror

Posted by Pit

REmake for GCN, never played the orignal: When glass shatters when you run through the corridor made me jump, cause it seems out of place. When going back again and the dogs burst through the door, that was kinda ****ed up. Also, first time encountering one of those zombies that got up from the floor. Forgot the name of it.

Bioshock: One moment that scared the **** out of me was when the ceramic statues where actually splicers in diguise and begin to attack, that was ****ed up.

Zelda Ocarina of Time: Those things that hang out of the ceiling and grab you. That was pretty ****ed up.

Zelda Majoras Mask: Tingle

Posted by 5am

Resident Evil 1: any crimson zombie that gets up and runs at you!

Killer 7: having a heaven smile RIGHT UP in your face. (anyone agree?)

Animal Crossing: When Mr. Resetti tells you that hes gonna erase your game file, and the screen goes black. THAT is probably the scariest thing in video game history.

Posted by Cloudstud

I am a little suprised no one mentioned that creepy *** radio in silent hill 1. I was a lot younger playing SH1 than any of the others. Everytime one of those ______ up monsters came around that radio started going off. *** I hated that radio.

Posted by David M. Awesome

[COLOR=Navy]Prey, when you encounter the first dog monster or whatever and it throws itself against the window. Also, whenever those *** **** ghost kids show up.

I had the same problems with Super Mario 64 when I was a kid, especially since I had this intense fear of the ocean back then.

Dark Aether in Metroid Prime 2 freaked me out a little. I always took those areas really slow because I was always nervous about going through the dark areas. By the end of the game I was charging through areas with zero beacons without the light suit just because I wanted to explore everything.

Some of the bosses in Shadow of the Colossus unnerved me a little bit, especially the water serpent and the final boss.

Also, Half Life 2 zombies. The worst zombie part was when you're driving the buggy and you have to stop in the tunnel to move cars out of the way to drive through and a **** load of zombies come out all at once. I don't **** around at that part anymore. Episode 1, waiting for the elevator was pretty bad too, although it was too intense action to be too scary.
[/COLOR]

Posted by Big Boss

Eternal Darkness (GCN - Silicon Knights)

Bathtub scene. I literally put my controller down, walked away from the room, came back to turn off the console and didn't play the game again for weeks.

The best part about it is that the scene is totally optional yet it's guaranteed the player will trigger it. Design genius.

Resident Evil 4 (GCN - Capcom)

MotherFU[color=yellowgreen]C
KER...

Resident Evil (PS1 - Capcom)

My game-related nightmares started with this cutscene, in all its polygonal glory:

Condemned (Xbox 360 - Monolith)

In the high school level, when you open one of the locker rooms and find... something... there's a game mechanic you need to use. It's so commendable that it ended up being so scary, because my designer brain knew exactly what was going to happen, and when it did, I still freaked out and jumped off my seat.[/color]

Posted by Sapphire Rose

In Half-Life 2 when you are waiting for the priest to send the scaffolding (sc) over and you see the pipes shake because a billion running zombies are climbing up it.

The first monkey with a wrench in System Shock 2.

Posted by Speedfreak

No matter how many times I play it, the Regenerators in RE4 scare the living daylights out of me. And I don't even have to see them, just that freaky breathing and knowing one is nearby is enough. On top of that they're difficult to kill and force you to keep very calm while they shuffle towards you. And the way they jump up at your face after you've shot it's leg off, bloody hell.

Posted by Last Fog

[QUOTE=Big Boss;780066][font=trebuchet ms][color=yellowgreen] Eternal Darkness (GCN - Silicon Knights)

Bathtub scene. I literally put my controller down, walked away from the room, came back to turn off the console and didn't play the game again for weeks.

The best part about it is that the scene is totally optional yet it's guaranteed the player will trigger it. Design genius.I distinctively remember that. Single scariest "jump" moment of my life.

But you're a pussy for being scared of the licker boss. That thing was so lame.

Posted by Mama Luigi

Quoting 5am: Animal Crossing: When Mr. Resetti tells you that hes gonna erase your game file, and the screen goes black. THAT is probably the scariest thing in video game history.

LOL

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Hmm, I haven't mentioned it lately, so I'm going to say the part in a video game that scared me the most was every single second I played of chrono cross. It frightened me as few things do that a developer could take a game that was as good Chrono Trigger and attempt to call a game as bad as that its sequel.

Oh, I got one. Final Fantasy Tactics. That one part of the land where, if one of your allies fall, they're dead forever. That part alway scared the **** out of me and made me nervous, cause often the enemies were pretty challenging and I put a lot of effort into my allies. Hate RPGs that do that.

Posted by TheSorrow

Condemend-In the high school level, when you have to go find the one guy and you open the locker and start to zoom in on him and you just know whats going to happen and all of the sudden it does and it freaks you out.

RE 1: The classic dogs through the windows

Posted by Zeta

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/Kvar/arachnut.jpg[/IMG]

These guys used to scare the **** out of me when I was younger.

Hahaha, yeah I totally know what you mean, Zeta. Though, I was more freaked out by that one massive red monster in one of the later games. Aliens Ate My Babysitter I think...

Posted by ExoXile

Resident Evil for the GC.
I still jump when the glass shatter in the beggining of the game, if I'm sitting in a dark room, really late at night.

First time everything scared me in that game.

Uhh, and the game before that must have been the Alien game for Snes, scared the **** out of me back then.

Since then, no game has really scared me.:(
Not even the part which you speak of, Vamp, in Bioshock. :(

Silent Hill 3 had me pretty tense all the time, but thanks to that I didn't get scared at all.
My mind made it much creepier than it was.
And I know it's supposed to, but it didn't work in that way.
I pretty much disappointed myself, the whole time.
Oh well.