Downloading Music: $220,000 worth it?

Posted by S

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071005/ap_on_hi_te/downloading_music

What do you think? Is it wrong, is it right, is it caught somewhere in between bureaucracy and copyright laws?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

******* that sucks for her. But then again, who uses kazaa?

Posted by Iris

I can see uploaders being fined for it, but downloaders? That's just over the top.

I think she was busted for uploading in the end. It mentions that she distributed a good 1,000 songs.

Posted by Omni

Oh ****, I'm so ****ed.

good thing we mainly deal with bands that aren't on a major record label, or even a label at all :cool:

Posted by Omni

I know, black metal bands hate the RIAA and a lot of them don't seem to care about filesharing networks.

Posted by fates warning

I guess thats the price you pay for being stupid enough to download from something like kazaa

Posted by Linkman

***, people need to learn to torrent.

Posted by Omni

Haha, the funny part is how torrents are extremely easy to track and how many people seem to get caught torrenting movies and brand new popular albums.

Posted by Gollum

Canada. :cool:

Posted by KoH

[quote=Omni;758157]Haha, the funny part is how torrents are extremely easy to track and how many people seem to get caught torrenting movies and brand new popular albums.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/24/pirate_bay_counterstrike/

Haha, the funny part is how the people tracking those torrents are getting sued for sabotage.

Posted by Gollum

http://img126.imageshack.us/my.php?image=copyjcengsub1sn.png

Since I laughed.

Copyright enforcers can go die.

Posted by Fragliche

[quote]On Thursday, jurors decided Thomas willfully violated the copyright on all 24 and recommended she pay damages of $9,250 per song, or $222,000.
Hmm...

[quote]"I am a single mother of two boys. I make $36,000 a year at my job,"

Good luck getting blood out of a turnip.

Quoted post: Canada.

HIGH FIVE

Quoted post: Good luck getting blood out of a turnip.

Yeah, chances are they won't pursue it, the damage is done. Though they could take part of her wage... which would be devastating to her...

Posted by G-Sides

*******, way to get owned :/
but considering the amount of people who download music online and how they haven't even been able to sue 50,000 of them, chances of you getting caught are slim to none. [spoiler]unless you use kazaa 8-)[/spoiler]

Posted by Slade

Quoted post: Downloading Music: $220,000 worth it?

At first I was going to say, "well yeah if you download enough music it is."

Not really.

Let's say every album I downloaded is worth 20 dollars, which they aren't, but let's say they are. That would be about $48,740. A far cry from the $200,000 they're demanding.

Posted by fates warning

"Many of those people have settled by paying the companies a few thousand dollars."

she was a dumbass and tried to fight back against an accusation which she knew was true. it was her own fault she had to pay that much, most people pay like $3000 and its over.

Posted by Lord of Spam

hey, you know that fifty cents worth of profit we lost cuz some kid downloaded oen song? lets sue em for ten grand. RIAA **** YEAH

Posted by Gollum

I don't know what the hell RIAA is getting at. I would never buy an album without hearing it first to know I liked it. Not to mention that I would never have the money to buy all the CDs I wanted.

Posted by fates warning

they can hardly lose money if no one would buy it in the first place

Quoted post: I don't know what the hell RIAA is getting at. I would never buy an album without hearing it first to know I liked it. Not to mention that I would never have the money to buy all the CDs I wanted.

Again, keep in mind, I'm pretty sure she was sued over the fact that she was not only downloading the music, but sharing it too, which is the main problem.

Posted by Gollum

You're right. I was more questioning their "downloading is bad, buy our music" message.

Anybody else hear about the CRIA making Demonoid block Canadian traffic? Total crap. I hope they go to court again and get their asses handed to them AGAIN. Canada is the best country in the ****ing world.

Posted by WillisGreeny

It's hard to feel sorry for the multi-million-dollar-record-lables when they've been withholding artist's creativity for so many years. Maybe if they didn't try to package "singers" so **** much, we could start getting talent back on the stage and kick out those without.

It wouldn't matter if people keep buying their material. As much as people do download music, a whole bunch still purchase through stores and online.

Posted by Grave Wisdom

For every person RIAA gets to sue, they go thru 20 boxes of kleenex...if you get what I mean.

Posted by Slade

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Not really.

Yeah, I kind of meant it as a joke. It'd really take something like 40,000 albums to make that much money worth it.

all this is just another crime against britney spears amirite?

Posted by Grave Wisdom

the more crimes against Britney Spears, the better.

Posted by Skitzo Control

I think she should commit more crimes than have crimes committed against her. Like murder in the 3rd Trimester, if you get my drift.;)[spoiler]Abortion, you idiots.[/spoiler]
---
If I could somehow download about 20,000 albums, then, yes, $220,000 would be worth it, but I can't even think of 20,000 SONGS that I'd like to hear, let alone approximately 250,000 (considering there's about 13 song per album). That amount is obscenely ridiculous, nonetheless.

Posted by Omni

By the way, it's apparently against the rules to copy your own music for your own personal use: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071002-sony-bmgs-chief-anti-piracy-lawyer-copying-music-you-own-is-stealing.html

lol

Quoted post: Countless studies have shown that the majority of music on portable music players like the iPod comes from sources other than download services. For most people, that music is comprised primarily of songs "ripped" from CD collections to MP3 or some other comparable format. Indeed, most portable music players comes with software (like iTunes) which is designed to facilitate the easy ripping of CDs. According to Pariser's view, this is stealing.

UUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH so stupid.

Posted by Omni

The funny part is how what they're saying is in violation of fair use.

Posted by Shin-Ra

That reminds me of that old 'don't copy that floppy' type music video they had a long time ago.

I know downloading music is illegal, but I honestly don't care. The way I see it, downloading music is fantastic as it allows for people to use the internet as a media device for aquiring art. It helps those of us who don't want to just settle for crap and what's readily available. Plus, I believe there are studies which indicate that people who download a lot, buy a lot. Then again, if you're downloading the type of music you'd be sued for, I doubt that you'll be buying it. So I can see where the RIAA is coming from. Plus, recording cds and distributing albums is really pretty cheap. It's all that promotion and pre-madonna rock stars out there who make the stuff expensive. I'd LOVE to have both of those done away with and take that filth out of music.

tl;dr - Downloading music, fuck yeah!

Posted by Jarulara

I heard about this and she can't really be at fault if she just downloaded since its a file sharing program right? Cause its someone elses stuff?..But uploading I can see. I'm not sure how all that works. Because if its wrong to download..why don't they sue Ares or Limewire?.. And Kazaa sucks anyways

It's difficult to get any money from them. A lot of torrent sites have been threatened and sued, but rarely do they ever go through.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting Jarulara: I heard about this and she can't really be at fault if she just downloaded since its a file sharing program right? Cause its someone elses stuff?..But uploading I can see. I'm not sure how all that works. Because if its wrong to download..why don't they sue Ares or Limewire?.. And Kazaa sucks anyways

She uploaded stuff. I'm not sure on the terminology, but those programs don't have a central hub on which the music is downloaded from, rather it's p2p and she uploaded stuff which was available for download. Which is illegal.

Posted by CrystalPain

Quoting Jarulara: why don't they sue Ares or Limewire?.. And Kazaa sucks anyways

They sued the girl to strike fear! To sent a message to people with the average wallet.

YOU CAN BE NEXT!!!

Posted by Gollum

Hey, now Oink has been taken down!

http://www.zeropaid.com/news/9067/OiNK+Taken+Down+by+Interpol%2C+Investigation+Into+Users+Continues

Posted by Omni

I never bothered to join because I knew that would happen eventually.

Yeah, never bothered either, but **** sucks.

Posted by CrystalPain

The way i get my music is threw my friends :)
I go to there house with my portable drive :) and copy all i need!!

you're going to jail, buddy. prepare to be vanned.

Posted by CrystalPain

Do you think they can trace me??!!
NOO NOO NOO! i gotta hide!
no but really do you think they can trace me?!?!

No. Well, probably, but they won't.

Posted by Rhea

A lot of the torrent sites have been forced to block their traffic in certain countries, and many have been shut down altogether. The chances of an individual getting caught with illegal music is slim to none. This is because the record companies have been recently attacking the source rather than the individual. Attacking the individual is useless, obviously, because it doesn't solve the problem. Fact of the matter is, torrent sites will always exist and even if they block the traffic for ISPs in a certain country, proxies will always be available.

Unless you're downloading Prince songs. Then you're ****ed. Just recently on the news some woman who had a Prince song playing on the radio while she made a video for youtube almost got sued. Mind you, it was nearly impossible to hear the song since it was so garbled and that wasn't even the focus.

THAT, is truly ****ed up.

Posted by Lord of Spam

At this point record companies have to continue to continue prosecuting things like that or they have to publicly admit that they were wrong to do so in the past. And since that would be an unnacceptable admission of error, they'll keep going, and continue to looking increasingly retarded.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Anyone who doesn't buy a Prince album should be punched in the face anyways.