Console War Report!

Posted by Big Boss

You know you love it. Reading articles about which system is doing better, or which one has or will have the better games.

While these analysts will not be predicting (much of) the future of gaming, they do have some input on how the Wii, PS2 and Xbox 360 have done up to this point, with few simple-to-digest but interesting statistics.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/1924/analyze_this_a_progress_report_on_.php?page=1

[quote]The average Wii owner in the U.S. has only purchased 2.8 titles, which is significantly lower than the Xbox 360 owner (5.5 titles) and more surprisingly, the PlayStation 3 owner (3.0). - Nick Williams from GamerMetrics

[quote]With the PS3, we have said it could be a system that really will not start to catch legs until 2009. - David Cole, DFC Intelligence

[quote]I think that [Microsoft are] going to continue to have a tough time in Japan, but not for lack of trying, as they have continued to sign up games like Blue Dragon to drive sales. - Michael Pachter, Wedbush Morgan Securities

Posted by Unite

Quoted post: The average Wii owner in the U.S. has only purchased 2.8 titles, which is significantly lower than the Xbox 360 owner (5.5 titles) and more surprisingly, the PlayStation 3 owner (3.0).

wow even tho the the wii is dirt cheap the amount of games per person bought is lower than competition. Hmm is this data suggesting most of owners in the us are buying wii as a novelty(sp) item?

Posted by WillisGreeny

Nick Williams makes a tactical crack at the Wii not having as many good games compared to the Xbox or PS3. "must-have third-party" games are only a must-have if the first-party games aren't selling well.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Unite: Hmm is this data suggesting most of owners in the us are buying wii as a novelty(sp) item?

If the Wii is successful in selling to the casual gamer, then I'd think it'd be expected that the average amount of games per household would be lower, seeing as a casual gamer wouldn't be the kind to buy every game they can get their mitts on like a seasoned gamer would.

Anyway, seemed to be a fairly unbiased report. Good read.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Unite;757695]wow even tho the the wii is dirt cheap the amount of games per person bought is lower than competition. Hmm is this data suggesting most of owners in the us are buying wii as a novelty(sp) item?

It's 0.2 lower than the PS3's games figures. Is the PS3 a novelty item?

Posted by Fate

All game consoles are novelty items. :/

Posted by Prince Shondronai

I thought people bought them like they buy groceries, and online fee bills come in the mail along with water and electricity.

Posted by Fate

They do! See the DS, PSP, iPods, mp3 players, etc. Inexpensive doodads.

Posted by D.J Cat

Quoting Fate: All game consoles are novelty items. :/

Good one. :D

Good article you found there BB.
It looks like the Xbox360 won't get much more changes in the future, the games will be similar, and it will continue to do ok. Its quite popular over here.
PS3 is still overly expensive (I only know 1 person who has one) but it might just start to catch up in a few years time.
I know heaps of people who have Wii's, including a bunch of people who I wouldn't expect (bosses at work, etc). Thats the whole appeal of it though.
A lot of my stupid friends bought one and then sold it within 5-6 months cause they were bored with it.
Now that all the good games are coming out they will re-buy one or wish they hadn't sold. Kids these days :(
I still don't have one. Waiting for the good games, plus In the meantime I've been able to spend Wii-money on travel and other nice things.

Posted by Speedfreak

Casual gamers buy like 2 games per system no matter what the system, it's the hardcore that bring up the attach rate. Is there a large variety of games that appeal to the hardcore yet? Nnnnnnope.

Posted by Zeta

[quote]the PlayStation 3 owner (3.0).

See, if they didn't include movies for this, it would be like a 0.9.

Posted by WillisGreeny

knowing speedfreak, there's a huge emphasis on the word yet.

Posted by Poco

Quoting Speedfreak: Casual gamers buy like 2 games per system no matter what the system, it's the hardcore that bring up the attach rate. Is there a large variety of games that appeal to the hardcore yet? Nnnnnnope.

Backing this up (judging from the casual gamers I know); PS2 seemed to be the casual system last time, and most people I knew bought one to play GTA.

Posted by Random

Now I can't use this for every single person in the gaming market, but I can use everyone I know personally who has owned each of the consoles.

The Wii although a great low price, and sounds so innovative, I no longer know anyone who owns one. Everyone has sold theirs or traded it in. I hear the gaming quality on it is p1ss poor (Probably the reason why the Wii isn't selling many software units per console sold) for the Wii. Theres nothing out, and everything that I hear is shortly coming out makes me well.. Want to vomit. Like I said, I can't speak on the behalf of anyone except for anyone I know personally. But all 10-15 former Wii owners I knew, hated it.

The Playstation 3 I hear a good bit about. I'm not one to generally support Sony but even I am semi interested in the PS3. With the hot HD graphics you can recieve with an HDMI cord, and the ability to watch Blu-Ray on a system that costs about as much as a Blu-Ray player does, is just flat out awesome (Not to mention if you haven't compared Blu-Ray side by side to a regular DVD then you haven't experienced life yet). Sony although not having a huge amount of software out yet, is starting to pick up its pace and increasing the amount of games released. With hit titles such as: Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Resistance, and Heavenly Sword out now, is really bringing attention to the system. Not to mention the huge blockbuster titles that will release soon for the PS3. I can easily see why the PS3 with well less than half the consoles sales than the Wii, has sold more software units per console.

The XBox 360 has been out now for sometime. It has multiple blockbuster hits already out, and has a huge online gaming community. Theres really no suprise to me why the 360 out performs the Wii. The 360 has Gears of War, Halo 3 (Which this article may have been done before Halo 3s release?), Dead Rising, Enchanted Arms, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, and Bioshock, theres nothing that really needs to be said about those games. Each one of those games are high sellers.

Don't get me wrong. I believe the Wii will improve with time, but it truley doesn't suprise me. Its just simple numbers of how **** poor the Wii has done with quality and quantity in my opinion.

Posted by Echo

Quoting Random: The Wii although a great low price, and sounds so innovative, I no longer know anyone who owns one. Everyone has sold theirs or traded it in. I hear the gaming quality on it is p1ss poor (Probably the reason why the Wii isn't selling many software units per console sold) for the Wii. Theres nothing out, and everything that I hear is shortly coming out makes me well.. Want to vomit. Like I said, I can't speak on the behalf of anyone except for anyone I know personally. But all 10-15 former Wii owners I knew, hated it.

Really? You must know a lot of Sony/MS fanboys. Me and my friends are always talking about upcoming Wii games (Brawl is definitely the most anticipated game for any system amongst my friends). One of my friends bought a PS3, and another of my friends said he should have just bought a Wii and some games. I love my Wii, and every Wii owner I know loves their Wii. They also love their 360s, but no one hates the Wii.

Good article, though. The average Wii games owned is probably also low because it is often bought by people with a limited budget, which means they don't have the money to buy lots of games. Although I also don't think that a 0.2 difference is enough to consider too much.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

The Wii statistic surprised me, simply because there's many games that have surpassed 500,000 units.

Anywho, basically what I got out of this article that I already knew was the fact that each console ****ing sucks in its own right.

Posted by Speedfreak

Anyone who bought a Wii right away then got disappointed at the lack of games is a moron. If you don't have the common sense to base a console purchase on the games out and the games coming out then you deserve to waste your money. Likewise if you're just too impatient to wait for the games you originally wanted to get.

I got mine as an investment, I knew Wiis would be scarce for ages and I knew I'd be waiting a while before I got any decent use out of it. I don't give a crap if I've barely played my Wii in the whole first year I've owned it because I bought it specifically to play the games coming out this Christmas.

Posted by WillisGreeny

All my friends who've bought a Wii have kept it, and they're also MS/Sony fanboys. One friend actually sold his 360 for rent money, keeping his Wii (though this was after the red circle story was released.) It's stupid to just sell your Wii because you're currently bored with it when some promising games are coming up.

Only friend of mine that didn't keep his gave it to me :)

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Got mine at Christmas, rarely played it past January. But I'm keeping it in the event of Smash's release. I honestly would pay

Ditto. Smash will justify the purchase tenfold. I mean, ****, I bought a PS3 for Sigma...

Posted by Fate

Until there is news of mics or being able to show off progression in a game, my interest is fading quickly. I don't even care to play Smash online if I can't talk to anyone.

GameFAQs is setting up voice chat rooms for Smash matches as we speak, in the event that the game doesn't include the feature.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Linko_16: If the Wii is successful in selling to the casual gamer, then I'd think it'd be expected that the average amount of games per household would be lower, seeing as a casual gamer wouldn't be the kind to buy every game they can get their mitts on like a seasoned gamer would.

Or maybe it's because there's hardly no games on it.

Just a observation you know.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Fate;758225][COLOR=skyblue]Until there is news of mics or being able to show off progression in a game, my interest is fading quickly. I don't even care to play Smash online if I can't talk to anyone.[/COLOR]

Remember when Melee was out and we'd, you know, actually talk about how far we were? Like we'd say "I've got all the characters, all but 2 of the stages and 103 trophies"?

I'm pretty sure every game ever made still supports that feature.

Nice try being cute there, buddy.

Posted by Fate

Yeah, I know, been there, done that. Plus I could bull**** all I want about what trophies I got.

Posted by Speedfreak

Plus you could lie about minor video game achievements?

This is absurd, you're not pulling me into an arguement that stupid.

I finished the original Legend of Zelda in 2 minutes, 49 seconds.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Pit: Or maybe it's because there's hardly no games on it.

Just a observation you know.

Well, yeah, duh. I just meant that that was another pretty good reason.

Posted by WillisGreeny

I don't think the Wii statistic included Virtual console downloads, but that wouldn't increase the # very much.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Prince Shondronai;758352]I finished the original Legend of Zelda in 2 minutes, 49 seconds.

Oh no, my life is ruined because this crap is so important to me.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Speedfreak;758301]Remember when Melee was out and we'd, you know, actually talk about how far we were? Like we'd say "I've got all the characters, all but 2 of the stages and 103 trophies"?
The thing is, it's not as convenient as simply logging onto your XBL account and thinking 'hey, let's see how Vamp's getting on with Halo 3 campaign...' and being able to see, for example, that he beat Legendary mode yesterday. Great little timewaster while you're in lobbies waiting for games to start, and a simple way to see what other people are up to in games without having to initiate a pointless conversation about it.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=The X;758571]The thing is, it's not as convenient as simply logging onto your XBL account and thinking 'hey, let's see how Vamp's getting on with Halo 3 campaign...' and being able to see, for example, that he beat Legendary mode yesterday. Great little timewaster while you're in lobbies waiting for games to start, and a simple way to see what other people are up to in games without having to initiate a pointless conversation about it.

I agree 100%. But the absence of such a feature is hardly game ruining is it?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I never said it was.

It's not game ruining, but the absence of such a feature is certainly a large step backwards for gaming. It's a feature, like many things in life, that isn't really needed to enjoy a game, but something I'd absolutely miss if it wasn't implemented.

Posted by Fate

Especially since it's very easy to make comparisons between console functions at present. It may not be important for me to breathe freely or sleep soundly at night, but it's a step towards bringing a community together. It's the future!

Yeah, it's the future. If one console has one feature that's noticeable important to its success and the amount of enjoyment you get out of it, you kinda have to expect the other companies to consider adding something akin to said feature. Then again, I don't expect much from the Wii's online. Not even basic gaming accomplishments between friends.