Suggestions

Posted by Shin-Ra

HEY GUYS! This thread is for any and all suggestions. Come here and get bombarded with "bands that sound like X" or "I want music inspired by X", etc. Have fun.

So I've been downloading from a torrent site lately and they're about to ban me because I completely cannot upload at all. I have 12 days to download and that's it, so give me suggestions on really good stuff to download.

One rule though, no metal. At all, no exceptions. I have enough and want some different stuff. Not different just to be different to the point where it's stupid. Give me the best, give me the classics of any non metal genre. GO.

For an idea I've been listening to: Joy Division, Dead Can Dance, ***speed You! Black Emperor, Bjork, Portishead, Cocteau Twins, etc. I love artfag stuff at the moment.

Posted by Omni

http://www.last.fm/user/opiaterein

Pretty much anything on this guy's charts.

Posted by Shin-Ra

C'mon fags, I only have 10 more days and all I've gotten is stuff from that guys profile (which ranges from awesome to awful). Chances are I'll upload the stuff if it's good enough, if that's any motivation.

Posted by Omni

World's End Girlfriend

Posted by Ant

Well, if you're anything like me(which I know you are), you'll like DJ Sharpnel's stuff. :D

Posted by Ant

or crotchduster? have you listened to crotchduster?

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Jeremy Soule.

Posted by Corrupt

[quote=Ant]or crotchduster? have you listened to crotchduster?

I think he's quite familiar with their material, seeing as he's the one that got me into them :D But god damn it, they need to release their new album.

Plaid - Double Figure

Kind of a trip hop/IDM combination of sorts, very good and very relaxing (at least for the most part).

Shpongle - Tales of the Inexpressible

The entire album is one incredible trip, even when you're not under the influence of any mind-altering drugs!

Slagsm

Posted by Shin-Ra

Gar is very satisfied. These will all be downloaded tomorrow, except Crotchduster because I'm kinda brought that here and Jeremy Soule as I already have him as well. This still isn't 10 GBs worth, so I need more!

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Kenji Yamamoto. Grab the Metroid soundtracks. They're pretty ****ing cool. And John Zorn's Masada Guitars. I'll think of something else later.

Posted by Omni

I'll upload some Lycia, you'll like it. Or you can just download yourself. Also, get more Coil and Stars of the Lid albums.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Downloading what is essentially World's End Girlfriend's disco, Coil's disco, and Lycia's disco. I'll get Corrupt's recommendations next.

Also, Caina is ****ing superb stuff and everyone should get it. Great mix of post-black and experimental black metal.

Posted by Philsdad

I'd say download some Nino Rota. He's one of my favorite composers of all time, and his stuff is great. He is most well known for composing the ***father soundtrack but he did a lot of other great soundtracks, mostly from obscure Italian films in the 50s and 60s. Lots of circus music, waltzes, eclectic use of organs etc. For starters, I'd check out the soundtrack to Juliet of the Spirits aka "Guiletta Degli Spiriti" which I think is one of the best soundtracks of all time. A lot of happy carnivalesque moments, some mellow haunting music, tons of trippy organs. La Dolce Vita, Amarcord, 8 1/2 and La Strada are also good ones to check out.

Posted by Omni

Quoting Shin-Ra: Also, Caina is ****ing superb stuff and everyone should get it. Great mix of post-black and experimental black metal.

One of the best bands I've listened to recently.

Posted by Shin-Ra

I've checked out everything in this thread with the exception of a couple of artists / albums. I still have 3 days and about 7 GB of downloading room here, people. Throw out anything else you can think of and I'll download it.

Posted by Slade

Coco Rosie and M83 are good. Also, Devendra Banhart and almost any of his friends(for example, Nathan Pelkey). That stuff is pretty artsy. I wish I knew the names of some 20's folk artists I could throw out there, too. I dig that **** in ways that **** wasn't meant to be dug.

Posted by Shin-Ra

M83 is fantastic, I already have an album. I'll check out those other people you mentioned though as that sounds very interesting. Try and remember those artists, as that'd be very helpful. Thanks a lot.

Posted by Slade

Try to find the Anthology of American Folk Music.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthology_of_American_Folk_Music

Posted by Shin-Ra

Alright guys, last day. Anything that you can remember should be posted in the next 24 hours before I'm banned and have to go back to crappy torrent sites again.

Posted by Omni

My Violent Ego

Shoegaze thing that VC ripped off and stole music from. I'll post more when I get home and can remember them.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Which album was it? Because I have both of the ripped off albums still under VC's name.

Also, I'm totally digging Gordon Lightfoot at the moment. Anyone know similar stuff other than Jim Croce (currently downloading)?

Posted by Omni

I have no idea which ones they stole. Just get all of them. They have quite a few releases.

Sounds like Gordon Lightfoot:

Bob Dylan
Neil Young
James Taylor
Harry Chapin

Most other folk rock singer-songwriters that got started around that time period.

Posted by xuclo

Quoting Omni: last.fm/user/opiaterein

Pretty much anything on this guy's charts.

Dude hell yeah. :D (Those are my charts)

So I guess I'm late, but I still recommend Swans because they're awesome. If you like Cocteau Twins, you might also like Faye Wong and Claire Voyant. I don't know how easy those two will be to find on torrent sites, though.

See also:

Curve
The Jesus and Mary Chain
Slowdive
Miranda Sex Garden (especially the albums Carnival of Souls and Fairytales of Slavery)
Akira Yamaoka (influenced by Portishead)

Posted by Omni

Yeah, we kept checking out stuff you liked by coincidence, so it seemed easy to post your charts to give an idea of other similar music. :)

I've definitely been enjoying Swans, because there's a lot of different sounds, depending on the album.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting xuclo: Dude hell yeah. :D (Those are my charts)

So I guess I'm late, but I still recommend Swans because they're awesome. If you like Cocteau Twins, you might also like Faye Wong and Claire Voyant. I don't know how easy those two will be to find on torrent sites, though.

See also:

Curve
The Jesus and Mary Chain
Slowdive
Miranda Sex Garden (especially the albums Carnival of Souls and Fairytales of Slavery)
Akira Yamaoka (influenced by Portishead)

Already listened to all of them, other than Miranda Sex Garden and the Jesus and Mary Chain. Didn't like Claire Voyant at all, Slowdive is good, Curve is good, and I'm a long time fan of Akira Yamaoka.

Suggestion time is over by the way. I'm easing back into more extreme stuff and I'm already banned from the site. Thanks for the help everyone.

Posted by xuclo

Quoting Omni: I've definitely been enjoying Swans, because there's a lot of different sounds, depending on the album.

That's part of what I like about them. They work well across so many moods.

So I guess this thread dies now? I at least want to plug one more post out of it. lol

Posted by Omni

Post count doesn't work in blogs. :)

Posted by Shin-Ra

It turns out that site has been shut down because of people "uploading leaked cds", just a couple of weeks after I was banned for not sharing music. Awesome deal.

So hey, I'm having a change of heart. Suggest the hell out of me. I'll check out xuclo's recommendations. For background on what I listen to most frequently (although my genre mood changes frequently based on where I'm at and what's appropriate for me to absorb). Think of it as a reference, not a representation:

http://www.last.fm/user/ScarletRapture/

THIS THREAD IS NOW USED FOR ALL THINGS SUGGESTIONS

Posted by xuclo

Quoting Omni: Post count doesn't work in blogs. :)

Yeah, I forgot where I was posting when I made that reply -_- You know I'm spacey. Lol

Uh let's see. Suggestions.

Oneiroid Psychosis. Flucked up darkwave.
65daysofstatic. Mathematical postrock. Not for everyone. lol
Current93. Like all real industrial bands, they made a switch to neofolk.
Baal. Japanese industrial metal. lol.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting xuclo: Oneiroid Psychosis. Flucked up darkwave.
65daysofstatic. Mathematical postrock. Not for everyone. lol
Current93. Like all real industrial bands, they made a switch to neofolk.
Baal. Japanese industrial metal. lol.

I already listen to a lot of neofolk / post-industrial and post-rock, so I've heard the more popular bands like Current 93 and 65daysofstatic; both of which are absolutely phenominal. Circle of Ouroborus reminds me a bit of Current 93 -- but a bit more influenced by magick -- and I've been loving them lately. I'll be sure and check out Oneiroid Psychosis though.

My recommendation for everyone: Nebelkorona. Darkwave / Ambient with a lot of pianos from the guy in Vinterriket. Also, Sun of the Sleepless is an absolute must have. It's experimental ambient / trip hop most of the time, but there's a couple of songs that mix this with black metal. One song in particular reminds me of a contiuation of what Varg might have done had he not have been lame. Also, the guy from Empyrium is in SotS, which automatically makes it great.

Posted by xuclo

On the subject of Dark ambient

A Murder of Angels
Life Garden

Posted by Omni

Someone suggest me music similar to any of the stuff underneath this sentence.

Agalloch
Drudkh
Empyrium
Alcest
Summoning

Dargaard - Neo-classical darkwave.

which reminds me, I need to get their 2004 album still...

Posted by Omni

Which reminds me, I'll get that right now and upload it because I'm awesome

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Posted by Shin-Ra

Omni:

Agalloch - Get everything Forseti and Sol Invictus, Klabautamann, Night Conquers Day, Woods of Ypres (though they're a bit "radio")
Drudkh-esque: Astrofaes, Hate Forest (Sorrow), Aeternus (Beyond the Wandering Moon), Marblebog (Forest Heart), Arckanum (Kostogher)
Empyrium - Sun of the Sleepless, Sleeping Village, Vordven, Enslaved (Isa)
Summoning - Nokturnal Mortum (Goat Horns), Kataxu (Split with Thunderbolt), Sort Vokter, Kamfar, Obtained Enslavement, Countess (Ad Maiorem and Heiling Vuur)

Every band and album mentioned is mandatory.

Posted by xuclo

Random rec:

Trooper, Romanian metal band. Kinda old-school styled heavy metal. It's nice. Ve'y nice. I think you can download their entire discography from their site, http://www.trooper.ro