PSP or DS??

Posted by Random

I'm highly thinking about finally buying a handheld game system. Which should I get? What game recommendations can you make?

What i'm looking at thus far:

Games for PSP I'd like to get:

-Star Wars Battlefront (Not yet released)
-Final Fantasy Tactics (Not yet released on PSP)
-GTA Vice City Stories
-GTA Liberty City Stories
-Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core (Not yet released)
-Breath of Fire III (Not yet released on PSP)

Games for DS I'd like to get:

-Final Fantasy III
-Final Fantasy IV (Not yet released)
-Mario Kart DS
-Super Mario 64 DS

Now I haven't looked at all the games released our soon to be released. It would seem as though the PSP has a better overall list, but yet many of the games have yet to be released. Games out now seem to be a draw but the PSP seems to have the overall hand in my book.

Any recommendations?

I've also looked into the PSPs low battery, but superior graphics. I'm having a tough time choosing. I probably won't decide til November or December when these things go on sale or have bundled deals, so it's not like i'm deciding tomorrow.

Posted by Colonel

In my personal opinion I don't think you should have made this thread. But if you must know I think that the Nintendo DS is by far the more superior handheld consol of this gaming generation.

DS
-Uniquely fun Games

PSP
-Beautifully dull Games

Depends what you are looking for.

Posted by Xero

I answered this question so many times.

I'm always suggesting the DS. I just love the touch screen feature and it has more and more entertaining games.

The only thing about the PSP that's superior is the 3D animation in my opinion. But most of the games for that handheld console never interrested me.

Posted by Echo

The DS, easily. If you haven't ever gotten a handheld system before, keep in mind that you can also play GBA games on the DS, which means you have access to not only the outstanding DS library (Besides what you already said you want, there's excellent two Castlevania games, two excellent Kirby games, Advance Wars DS, Pokemon, and more unusual games like Phoenix Wright, EBA, etc.) but also the outstanding GBA library (FF Tactics Advance (as well as remakes of FF I, II, IV, V, and VI), Golden Sun, Fire Emblem, Mega Man Zero 1-4, etc.)

That should really be the deal-maker right there. If you don't have a GBA (I'm assuming you don't, since you said you're "finally" buying a handheld system), than get a DS and go back and grab some of the AAA GBA titles.

Posted by S

Personally, I opted for the DS. But I'm considering getting a PSP for Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth and the new FFT remake coming out... but I'm not quite sure to be honest, if its worth that price tag.

Posted by TimeSkipz

I played a few games for the ds and i wasn't too fond of it although the stylus was a pretty cool feature. For the PSP I played the 300 game and a GTA(weird controls) but i would have to go with the psp. You can store videos,pictures,browse the internet(ds can also),great online games,ability to hook it up to your tv, and apparently a camara attachment is coming out for it

Posted by Random

Quoting Echo: The DS, easily. If you haven't ever gotten a handheld system before, keep in mind that you can also play GBA games on the DS, which means you have access to not only the outstanding DS library (Besides what you already said you want, there's excellent two Castlevania games, two excellent Kirby games, Advance Wars DS, Pokemon, and more unusual games like Phoenix Wright, EBA, etc.) but also the outstanding GBA library (FF Tactics Advance (as well as remakes of FF I, II, IV, V, and VI), Golden Sun, Fire Emblem, Mega Man Zero 1-4, etc.)

That should really be the deal-maker right there. If you don't have a GBA (I'm assuming you don't, since you said you're "finally" buying a handheld system), than get a DS and go back and grab some of the AAA GBA titles.

Thats part of the reason why i'm considering the DS is to be able to play GBA games. I have to really look through the GBA list and think about it. If we were going off what games are out for the systems or will be out, I'd take the PSP hands down, but the backwards compatibility with the GBA may change my mind yet.

Quoting Sucre: I answered this question so many times.

I'm always suggesting the DS. I just love the touch screen feature and it has more and more entertaining games.

The only thing about the PSP that's superior is the 3D animation in my opinion. But most of the games for that handheld console never interrested me.

The touch screen isn't anything big with me. In all honesty I don't care for the touch screen. And its not really about what features the systems have, its all about the gaming. I won't use the PSP to watch movies, and I'd try not to use the DS's touch screen feature if at all possible.

Posted by Speedfreak

Sorta like trying not to look at the PSP's screen. I don't see any reason to actively try to avoid the touch screen if a game makes good use of it.

Posted by Poco

PSP is great if you are looking for emulation, while the DS is great if you want cool, more modern, games. Also, touch screen is a big plus.

Posted by Echo

Oh, right, emulation is a plus for the PSP. That's really the only reason that I would want one at all.

Also keep in mind that TLoZ: Phantom Hourglass was released yesterday, and is supposed to be pretty **** good. I haven't had the chance to pick it up yet, though.

Posted by Speedfreak

Crap, forgot about that, I have to pre-order my copy pretty soon.

Yeah, again, get Advance Wars Dual Strike and get Zelda. I really couldn't recommend AW enough and this latest Zelda is supposed to be all about going back to the series' roots.

Posted by iluvgirlswithglasses

If you want a wider variety of games, get the DS.

Apart from emulation (which really is a big +++), PSP is good for watching movies too. And it's got Armored Core and the new Castlevania and *** of War and stuff.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Graphics really shouldn't factor into this. It's a handheld, not a high-end console. Plus, the graphics come at a cost, that being low battery-power (apparently worse on the new PSP) and loading times. Neither are very portable friendly.

That, and the DS has a ton of quick pick-up-and-play games which is what you're going to want. Even the more hardcore, take your time to sit down and play games are built to allow you to quickly shut them off and carry on with other activities.

Posted by Unite

hmm if you can't get both get a psp

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Convincing argument.

Posted by Degeneration

Graphics can matter a lot, depending on who you are. I can tell you right now that Dark Resurrection wouldn't be the same experience if it didn't run at 60fps with near-PS2 graphics. We Tekken fans expect a lot from the series every time. Of course, not every title has big shoes to fill. Many DS games can get away with near-GBA visuals because developers know what the fan base is looking for. I don't think my Planet Puzzle League would seem any better if the blocks fell in 60fps, but I love it regardless.

Another important thing to consider is what you'd be doing with your handheld. In addition to being my primary portable gaming device, my PSP acts as my MP3 player and I use it instead of a flash drive for college. You seem to be more interested in the games. If you know you'll only be using your handheld for gaming, don't waste the extra money. Just get a DS if you're 100% sure about that, and I make that suggestion not because I think its games are better, but because you'd be getting your money's worth.

Mario Kart DS would be a great first choice. That was my first along with Tetris DS (surprisingly awesome). If you get the Wi-Fi connection set up, we'll have to play each other sometime.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Random:
I'd try not to use the DS's touch screen feature if at all possible.

So then you'd play GBA games on your DS?

If you don't care much about the features of the DS, then you'd better go for the PSP.

Posted by S

Or get a GBA.

Posted by Unite

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Convincing argument.

what u want me to list off games?

random here is a tip for you always go with your first choice.

Posted by WillisGreeny

If you can't get both, get a DS.

Posted by Speedfreak

Don't get a PSP for the other features. It's a s[COLOR=lightgreen]h[/COLOR]it mp3 player, period. You can get much better if you bought a DS and used the money you saved to buy a proper mp3 player and might have enough left over for some decent headphones. UMDs proved their worthlessness years ago. This might not apply to you, but most people don't give a d[COLOR=lightgreen]a[/COLOR]mn about portable video either.

Basically, only get a PSP if there's games you really want on it and you're really into emulation or homebrew. The games by themselves won't cut it because it's pretty much guarunteed that there's a wider selection of quality titles on DS with much better developer support in the future.

I can sort of see from comments you've made in the past that you like big epic games with amazing graphics and large budgets, which is what's probably pushing you towards PSP right now. Forget it, it's on a handheld, no matter the power behind it it's not going to deliver that same experience. You're better off sticking to home consoles for that.

At least with DS there's a new experience, the kind of short, sharp gaming you're not really used to but could well end up enjoying. And if you did it would really open up a lot of new kinds of games you never knew you liked before.

tl;dr version:

Your choice is between a watered down version of the experience you know or a new experience that could change your taste in games entirely, but it's more risky. I know if you chose the latter you'd have an army of members here recommending quality games to you.