Final Fantasy XII

Posted by Hypnot1zed

I haven't played the game yet and now that it is only 20 bucks I thought I would buy it. Then I saw a ton of negative reviews and wondered if it was worth my time. So I just wanted to ask you, your opinions on the game. Is it worth picking up?

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Definitely worth picking up. One of the better FFs by far. I actually haven't quite finished it yet, but it's been pretty enjoyable.

Posted by Hypnot1zed

yeah I guess for 20 bucks I can't go wrong.

Yeah, definitely worth it.

Posted by Nazo

Game's good storywise. They did a great job with it. Especially with meeting all your party members very early in the game. The graphics are lower quality then FFX due to the fact you fully control the camera angles and shit. And the battle system, in my humble opinion, sucks. If you run into a beefy enemy, consider yourself fucked, because fleeing in this game is terrible. You can be 10 feet away and the enemy will do it's attack form and it'll hit you. They didn't do a great job with the "open battle" system. Other then that it's okay. I wouldn't recommend it as a buy, but since it is just 20 bucks now, just get it I guess.

Posted by Fate

Who in the hell gave it negative reviews to make it a ton? The game is one of the better FFs.

Posted by Shin-Ra

It's a hell of a lot better than FFX, it's $20, and there's a ton of stuff to do in the game. On top of that, the plotline is pretty decent, although it reminds me a bit of the Suikoden V. I say get it. I haven't enjoyed many of the modern RPGs, but this one is pretty cool.

However, if you haven't played Suikoden V, I'd recommend that one over FFXII. The game is boring at first, but the plot is just superb later in the game. Plus, it's Suikoden and those rarely disappoint.

Posted by Hypnot1zed

I'll check this one out I think I'll like it.

Posted by Wiki

it has the best battle system in an FF by far, it may take some getting used to, but once you learn the ins and outs you wont ever want to go back to turn based. Its like a much better version of the wow battle system, and by buck better, i mean like 100 times better.

the story is the worst part of the game, it doest dwell into the characters getting to know eachother and developing relationships like other ffs.

my favorite part is that its the funnest ff to level up in, its just so much funner when you dont have to deal with the random battle system. you just run aroung pwning everyone in sight.

the game is relatively easy, only because how easy it is to level up, i only had trouble in a few spots, but i got threw the game rather quickly. but there are so many side quests, all the hunts and everything else, it by far has the most content of any FF. will take well over 200 hours to beaat the games and comlete 100% of the sidequestsm unless you rush it.

Posted by Hypnot1zed

Hey, I got the game yesterday and I'm about 4 hours into it. It took a while to adjust to the combat but I'm used to it now. So far I think this is one of my favorite games, I'm really liking it.

Posted by Cloudstud

I know its unusual but I prefer X. I kinda miss the turn based battle system. I know its still kinda turn based but I am just kinda old school I guess. Just didnt really have a FF feel to it...

Posted by Hypnot1zed

Yeah I know what you mean, it does feel really different than the other ffs. I'm an old school gamer too so I like turn based as well. I didn't like the battle system in XII at first but it grew on me.

I prefer real time, and I really don't like random encounters so this battle system is a nice change in FF for me. I believe they'll be doing something similar for XIII, as well.

Posted by Nazo

I don't like random encounters in the encounter rate is madly high. If it's balanced, sure I can handle it, but you gotta gain exp somehow.

Posted by WillisGreeny

I thought Chrono Trigger had a good encounter balance. However, for FF6, the encounter rate was ridiculous.

Posted by S

Van was a shame to his name. Legend of Legaia Vahn was so much better.

Posted by Murasaki Lotus

I enjoyed playing Final Fantasy XII. And, to the shock of most, I thought it to be the better of the PS2 FF games. I did think that the story didn't focus on the two main characters so much as it did the rest of the crew. But then again, I didn't like Vaan or Penelo. Balthier FTW... In my book!

Actually, I think the majority thought FFXII was one of the better in the PS2 series. Personally I enjoyed X, but XII is much better (X-2 really needn't be mentioned).

Posted by CrystalPain

Quoting Angelwing: Actually, I think the majority thought FFXII was one of the better in the PS2 series. Personally I enjoyed X, but XII is much better (X-2 really needn't be mentioned).

I can't believe i bought that game brandnew when it first came out :'(
(FF X-2)

Yeah, I can't believe I pre-ordered it. What a waste.

Posted by Ant

I liked the gameplay on X-2 a lot ;(

as for XII, I stoped playing it again :/ should pick it up again sometime. I just don't care for the story.

Story's alright, there's just too many shootan gamez to be played.

Posted by Ant

shut up

Posted by CrystalPain

Can you rate the plot for me?
?/10
I really think i should buy it its been a while since i've played a RPG with a nice unique plot or am i wrong

It's cheap, and worth it. I haven't quite finished it yet, so I'm not going to rate it.

Posted by Raeth

I like FF12, but I couldn't really get into the story at all.
Battle system was awesome, I loved the landscape, how you traveled everywhere by foot was actually fun. The only thing I really disliked was the lack of story (in my opinion) and how Van and Penelo didn't really seem to have a reason to be there after they rescued Penelo...
I can't really decide which FF is the best out of all of the PS2 ones though. Then again, I can't even pick my favorite.

And yes, let's stay away from X-2 ._. Maybe keep Gippal and Baralai, but everything else can be forgotten.

Posted by S

Quoting CrystalPain: Can you rate the plot for me?
?/10
I really think i should buy it its been a while since i've played a RPG with a nice unique plot or am i wrong

4/10. Maybe.

Posted by MottaTheHutt

I just started XII (I'm about 15 hours in), and I don't think it's all that great. If it wasn't for my brother's friend I would have opened a chest that, appearantly, if you open it then you can't get the best weapon in the game.
That's just stupid.

Posted by Raeth

oh yeah, there's a lot of those chests. I don't see how it works because...how does opening a chest effect a weapon?
And maybe it's just me, but those prices are ridiculously high. I could understand if there was an alchemy thing, where you created weapons and you could get that weapon cheap by doing a few combos or something...but you cant..
But hey, you spend all that time getting money to buy the weapons, you'll be set level-wise for the next dungeon xD

Posted by MottaTheHutt

The Zodiac Spear (best weapon) is in a chest in some cave or something. If you open on of the "****in gay chests" then your chance of getting it when opening that chest drops to something like .1% chance, or something stupid.
You can still get it, you just have to reload the game over, and over, and over.
Other than that, Final Fantasy XII has been decent, although the new battle system could have been better.

That's why you don't bother going for that weapon.

Posted by CrystalPain

The idea is for you to improuve your skills and tactics over your weponds i guess

Posted by Nazo

Spears fail anyway. Great swords for the win.

I got all the way to Bahamut, and quit. I was, I believe, a level 65-70 maybe. It was to hard. The monsters were a tad over powering and I couldn't get past the first monster there. (Some type of machine, I don't remember.) What sucks is, once at Bahamut, there's no returning anywhere else. :(

Posted by MottaTheHutt

Quoting Angelwing: That's why you don't bother going for that weapon.

It's the best weapon in the game. I can't just not get it. Besides, I know where all the gay chests are. I just think it's a stupid idea on Square's part.

Quoting Nazo: Spears fail anyway.

[quote=MottaTheHutt]best weapon in the game

Quoting Nazo: The monsters were a tad over powering

Yeah, I like the idea that 12 is a Final Fantasy that's actually difficult at points. Although I watched my friend, who was max level, fight a monster for several hours. He didn't actually do anything, thanks to gambits. But still, no boss should take multiple hours.

Posted by Phantom75230

I know i'm bumping this thread, but i just restarted the game for the fifth time and have just gotten Mateus.

the game itself is extremely long, took me about 85-90 hours, give or take, to beat it. i loved the battle system, and the fact that guests had infinite healing items!

Posted by Poco

I quit, i got to the huge 100 level dungeon and thought it wasn't worth it.