Security vs. Freedom

Posted by Fei-on Castor

The basic notion seems to be that these two are opposites, when it comes to their application in a society. For example, if you live in a country where it's legal to carry guns, you have to accept that there is a risk that someone else will use a gun to shoot you. If you live a country where no one carries guns, the danger is substantially less.

And if you live in a country where you're free to bring shampoo in your carry-on luggage when you board a plane, you have to accept that someone might decide to put explosives in a shampoo bottle and carry it onto a plane that you're on.

If you live in a country where the government and law enforcement can't just tap into your phone conversations without a warrant, then you have to accept that someone might have a phone conversation full of plans to kill and hurt others, and it will go unheard by law enforcement.

I'm saying that before 9/11 and all the other tragic events that have unfolded during the last 10 years or so, things were a lot more free. I traveled on planes a lot, and security wasn't nearly as much of a hassle as it is now. I also knew that I had certain rights in any given situation, such as knowing when police officers could search something, or even detain a person.

Today, I'm not sure where these boundaries are anymore. I'm not sure what a police officer needs to legally search my car/house. I know that it used to require a warrant, or probable cause and a warrant secured later (when time and opportunity prevented the cop from leaving to get a warrant right then). And I know that if the cop failed to obtain a warrant after the search, then all the evidence that he found while searching would have to be disregarded during court proceedings.

No one wants to see another 9/11 take place. But I feel like a country that prides itself on being free should accept the risk that we may see another attack like that at some point. The only way to totally eliminate such a risk would be to totally strip all people in this country of all forms of social freedom, and then no one could conceivably pull off a serious attack from within our country.

If you look at other countries that we label "terrorist states", it seems like those countries don't have much internal struggle because they take all the freedoms away from the people living there.

Look at Iraq. Those people were oppressed by Saddam Hussein for so long, and when we give them freedom, look what they choose to do with it. They get all violent and crazy. If they had no freedom, they wouldn't be able to blow up cars and so forth.

So is that where we are headed in the USA? Will our government just continue to pass laws that take away our freedoms in exchange for making things safer? I'd be willing to take the risk of flying on a plane with people carrying their shampoo rather than lose my right to bring any kind of bottles on the plane. It's part of living in a free country.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[IMG]http://freespace.virgin.net/flyfishing.flies/scotland-wallace4.gif[/IMG]

As VGC's token Scottish poster, my feelings should be clear on this.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Well said.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Canada's both secure and free! So I'll take both.

and we're only secure because we're canada, not because we have any defense whatsoever.

Posted by S

Secure in the fact that no one wants to steal your maple.

Anyway - I disagree with society's notions of freedom and security. They have all the wrong reasons, if you ask me. People seem to forget that the original derivation of society is protection from those who would seek to force their will upon yours. Whether this be predator or metaphorical predator doesn't matter. At the same time though, I find no solace in the notion that my life is a value to society, and an equal one to that of a moron - thus I am expendable to some degree. Really, this entire thing is a cluster-**** attempt to survive, and people just get caught too far up into their own delusions to realize it. What is security; less chance of losing one's life on a probability scale? And furthermore, what is freedom? The ability to speak without being struck down by the imaginary force created to protect you? Or simply to do as you please? /rant

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting Fei-on Castor:
I'm saying that before 9/11 and all the other tragic events that have unfolded during the last 10 years or so, things were a lot more free. I traveled on planes a lot, and security wasn't nearly as much of a hassle as it is now. I also knew that I had certain rights in any given situation, such as knowing when police officers could search something, or even detain a person.

I continue to see those who died in 9/11 as martyers for America. They died living as americans with all their freedoms. They didn't choose to die for their beliefs (so martyer is probably not the best word for it), but all the victoms that died are constantly being referenced as to why we need these new laws, and for continuing the war in Iraq. Passing these new laws without the existance of 9/11 would have been impossable, so I see these changes as a disgrace to those who've died since it puts words in their mouths. Sure they didn't want to die, however, did they want their deaths to erase the freedoms for all of us?

I don't feel safer as an American knowing police can listen to my phone calls. Why? because I'm critical of America, and I want to tell other people how bush is ****ing up in my opinion. I want to send e-mails to an Iranian to exchange ideas without being a suspect of terrorism. I want the option to say **** bush without loosing the ability to fly airlines. It's the feeling that some jack *** in washington with the same personality and inteligence of a fast food manager, gets to make the decision of taking my rights away just because he "suspects" something. Whether or not his intuition was correct, he's not held accountable, so innocent me gets ****ed.

I know how you feel Castor, same with a lot of Americans against homeland security.

Posted by S

You cannot wage war on an ideal. Terrorism will always exist, and the fact of the matter, is that America is one of the main perpetrators. Guerrilla warfare is almost impossible to prevent, period. If you want people to believe you, alter definitions.

Posted by WillisGreeny

solrok, is that related to my post?

Posted by S

It's a statement, it can be related.

Quoted post: Secure in the fact that no one wants to steal your maple.

Syrup is a big industry, buddy. Your IHOP would be ****ed without Canada.

Quoted post: I continue to see those who died in 9/11 as martyers for America.

Definitely not martyrs.

Posted by S

[color=black]Touch

We already have Athabasca Oil Sands :)

... We're so ****ed...

Posted by Kendra, Warrior Babe

Okay, I read the thread post, but didn't read the topic, so... eh.

I have to say, that I very much agree with you, Castor. I would rather live free and not so safe than live secure and without simple rights, like- as you said- taking a bottle of shampoo on an airplane. As far as tapping phone lines go, I think that is total bull crap. If someone REALLY wanted to bomb a national monument, or whatever, then they would work around such simple security measures, so why bother?
I don't know, maybe none of what i said makes sense... That's just what I've got to say. :)

Posted by mis0

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: We already have Athabasca Oil Sands :)

... We're so ****ed...

You forget that Americans are lazy bastards. Even when it comes to oil, seperating it from sand and oil shale is far too much effort.

Americans may be lazy... but it is oil. They'll want it, eventually.

Posted by Gollum

[QUOTE=S

Posted by Pit

Gollum the Philosopher with a question ending post to make us think ^

Posted by mis0

Quoting Gollum: As Immanuel Kant pointed out long ago, it is difficult to come up with a theory to explain freedom.

The main problem that I have is with those with contradicting definitions of freedom. You can gripe about violence in the media, the attention given to movie stars, objectifying of women, and still be angry about not bringing your water bottle on the plane, but is there not a fork in the road somewhere where one must choose between freedom on one hand, and safety on the other? Is not freedom a small price to pay for safety?

Do not the people on those planes have freedoms?

What is freedom? It is exemption from external interference and regulatory boundaries. If one trusts that this is true, then to what extent are humans really free? One can argue that human beings are free from a religious perspective. The human spirit is unique, and we make the choices in our own lives because of freedom. One can also argue that humans are not free. Are our actions simply the cause of our genetics? If that is true, then nobody is free, because we inherit only our ancestors' dispositions. One might argue that nobody is free because the human spirit does not exist. We become who we are because of the influence of those around us. Nobody is free, because we are bound by the mold which we witness and experience every day. Is this freedom?

Are we free?

This reminds me so much of the lengthy discussions in held in my philosophy course.

I think that the answer is essentially relative. If you reject the notion that we are products of our environments, conditioned by the societal norms, political climate, and people around us, then I certainly think one could argue that we are, essentially free. Some might say that freedom is simply the ability to do otherwise; it doesn't matter what you think or do, as long as you could do something else. I've seen this argued in many other ways as well, though I'm personally convinced we're only as free as our environment allows. But if we're not free, are we not to a certain extent on a course that could have determined outcomes given our conditioning, society, economic status, religion, upbringing, etc? To a certain extent, I think we assume freedom for practical purposes more than anything; how can you blame someone on a determined course for the actions they've done if they had no choice but to act?

Posted by Random

I for one personally believe that some government agent can listen to all of my sex talk over the phone at nights (lol), check my luggage and find condoms, and/or anything else that may embarass me just for my protection. If it means saving my life or not even necessarily my life, but someone elses, then I find it quite necessary.

I can see where people get upset, but are you really hiding personal things that is so horribly wrong that you must defend the purpose of having freedom over security? We're talking about possible lives.

Sure on 9/11 only a thousand or so died. But what about next time? What if a terrorist were to carry such a powerful weapon with bad intentions? We'd only been thrown back into security mode anyways. We simply must not give up having the security.

Besides.. Your complaining about freedom. Why don't you go live Iran or something?? Then go complain... STFU. Oh i'm sorry you don't have freedom. Go live in Iran where you truley have little freedom. I don't even understand why we have this topic. Lives should outweigh silly personal embarassment.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire:

Definitely not martyrs.

Yeah, I convinced myself half way through my first post :/. What's the word (if it exists) for someone who is killed, but lived as they wanted to until that point.

Posted by Omni

Quoted post: Sure on 9/11 only a thousand or so died.

2,974 confirmed dead.

I can understand people being annoyed about their privacy being invaded, but I'll have to say it's a small price to pay for national security in most cases.

Posted by Wiki

Well, being as liberal as i am, i naturally choose freedom over security , and just tell everyone to be carefull. Besides, if you die ina terrorist atack, you one of the lucky ones IMHO, you no longer have to deal with the bul**** of life. Were all gonna die eventually, and when life is over, whats the point of all the **** youve done? unless there is an afterlife which i seriously doubt, thats why i choose to live my life always faaded.

Posted by S

In before "Off yourself."

Seriously though, liberal vs. conservatism in itself is bull****. They're both old, and irrelevant terms. They've lost their original purposes, and should really be discarded. Reactionary and Radical are the only two that have kept their original meaning. Don't identify yourself with such a stupid term.

Posted by Wiki

Your post made lest sense then the sect I identify myself as, i only say im liberal cuz my beliefs towards imigration, gay mariage, marijauna legalization, and many other things that liberals are fighting for.

Posted by fates warning

freedom over security imo, i see no point in living your life in fear

Quoted post: freedom over security imo, i see no point in living your life in fear

Wouldn't that be security over freedom then? Security would quell any fears of, let's say a terrorist attack, whereas freedom would not.

Posted by fates warning

what i mean is, id rather have more freedom because the world is a dangerous place regardless, and im not going to spend my time, however long that is, being paranoid over a terrorist attack.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=fates warning;755974]what i mean is, id rather have more freedom because the world is a dangerous place regardless, and im not going to spend my time, however long that is, being paranoid over a terrorist attack.

Still doesn't make sense. Choosing security would invariably make you less likely to be killed.

Posted by fates warning

i dont worry about being killed; id rather live riskier if it means more freedoms.

Posted by mis0

Quoting The X: Still doesn't make sense. Choosing security would invariably make you less likely to be killed.

I share his view, and I'd explain it like this: I'd choose freedom over "security" because the security means giving up freedoms for a perception of increased security. The likelyhood of a terrorist attack actually happening on our soil is incredibly low, and actually being killed/injured by it is even less likely if one does occur. You're more likely to be killed by disease or an auto accident, but most people don't change their health habits to decrease their likelyhood of being killed by something that would stem from it, and most people don't avoid driving because they might be involved in a fatal crash. Why would you allow prying eyes into your life because it might prevent an incredibly unlikely event from happening? Especially when there are already lots and lots of measures being taken to prevent that already unlikely terrorist attack from happening?

Giving up freedoms is something I view to be un-American. Benjamin Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither freedom nor safety." That is my philosophy.

Yes, freedom can mean opportunity for others to do us harm. But to those who are so petrified with fear of being harmed, I would say that our current policies are what are making us less secure, (not overtly lying to make a case for war in the future would make us more secure). Not to mention, that as you may remember, intelligence that could have prevented 9-11 had been collected far enough in advance of the attacks that we could have stopped them if it there wasn't so much bureaucracy.

I stand by what Mr. Franklin said. I want to live the dream envisioned by the founding fathers, and people who'd trade that away are undeserving of it.

Are we talking about complete security? Or, like, the kind of security the US has right now, where you're basically secure, but you could still be blown up?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I'm not sure you could attain complete security, unless we all lived in our own Bubble shields.

Isn't this a hypothetical question anyways?

Posted by Random

Its unfortunate that only half of the people in this thread make even slight common sense, even if defending what I believe is wrong, meanwhile there are complete idiots who don't deserve to defend their beliefs.

Posted by Gollum

Quoting Random: Its unfortunate that only half of the people in this thread make even slight common sense, even if defending what I believe is wrong, meanwhile there are complete idiots who don't deserve to defend their beliefs.

So you're defending freedom of freedom from stupidity?

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting Random: Its unfortunate that only half of the people in this thread make even slight common sense, even if defending what I believe is wrong, meanwhile there are complete idiots who don't deserve to defend their beliefs.

common sense? I always considered that to be, like, not putting a metal fork in the toaster, or in the microwave. Complete idiots who don't deserve to defend their beliefs? Define idiot, specifically, because by the sounds of your first sentence eveyone who doesn't see the world exactly as you do is A, not common, and B, an idiot.

Posted by Ch

Good topic.

First off, I think I should blame people over the government when it comes to safety/freedom issues. Think about it. After 9/11 happened, the people of this country all of a sudden grew paranoid of every danger on this planet. Safe this safe that. Everyone wanted to be safe, so new laws were passed and the Homeland Security was set up. People were willing to trade off vital rights to be safe.

People got their security now they ***** about how their freedoms are being taken away.

As for me, I'd rather not have gov't agents listening to me while I'm on the phone. It's disturbing. I never had a problem with the safety in this country before September 11th.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Ch

Posted by Random

Quoting WillisGreeny: common sense? I always considered that to be, like, not putting a metal fork in the toaster, or in the microwave. Complete idiots who don't deserve to defend their beliefs? Define idiot, specifically, because by the sounds of your first sentence eveyone who doesn't see the world exactly as you do is A, not common, and B, an idiot.

I'm sorry perhaps you missed my whole post. I mentioned that there were rather idiotic posts on this board. I even mentioned that there are intelligent posts on both sides of the topic, as I clearly stated that. Also by idiots, I mean people who are saying "DUR DAH HUR FREEDOM DEH IZ UM.. Beta tHaN Security coz uM... YA"

Screw off

Quoting Omni: 2,974 confirmed dead.

I can understand people being annoyed about their privacy being invaded, but I'll have to say it's a small price to pay for national security in most cases.

I had thought the numbers were much higher than a thousand, but a friend of mine which was at my house at the time said there were less than 2,000 lives lost. Needless to say, I never googled the true number. Its a rather great tragedy if you ask me.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting Random: I'm sorry perhaps you missed my whole post...

...I even mentioned that there are intelligent posts on both sides of the topic, as I clearly stated that.

You mean this post? Because I can't find were you ever clearly mentioned both sides being intelligent.

Quoting Random:
I for one personally believe that some government agent can listen to all of my sex talk over the phone at nights (lol), check my luggage and find condoms, and/or anything else that may embarass me just for my protection. If it means saving my life or not even necessarily my life, but someone elses, then I find it quite necessary.

I can see where people get upset, but are you really hiding personal things that is so horribly wrong that you must defend the purpose of having freedom over security? We're talking about possible lives.

Sure on 9/11 only a thousand or so died. But what about next time? What if a terrorist were to carry such a powerful weapon with bad intentions? We'd only been thrown back into security mode anyways. We simply must not give up having the security.

Besides.. Your complaining about freedom. Why don't you go live Iran or something?? Then go complain... STFU. Oh i'm sorry you don't have freedom. Go live in Iran where you truley have little freedom. I don't even understand why we have this topic. Lives should outweigh silly personal embarassment.

yeah, I didn't see the other side being explained, infact, the only thig you clearly stated was that those in favor of freedom should STFU.

Freedom of speech gives me and everyone else here the right to criticize my government. If you don't like it, tough. We certainly aren't going to STFU. Maybe it is you who should move to Iran, since everyone there is forced to STFU about the government, something you're not likeing about America evidently.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

it's a "basic notion" that I believe is too black and white for me to say either over the other. The "freedoms" issue changes too rapidly. Right to bear arms? That's a "freedom" that was concocted before "arms" included assault rifles, submachine guns, and the like. So that "freedom" has to be broken down and restricted.

I see the shampoo issue as the same thing. People find newer, crazier ways to kill eachother. Times change. Breaking things down into such terms of black and white is naive and silly, and I refuse to entertain such thoughts. Therefore, if I must choose between "freedom" and "Security" as quoted by ol Benny Franklin in his archaic, unapplicabletomoderntimes quote, I choose option C, which is "get real".

Posted by WillisGreeny

Bj brings up a good point about dichotomic arguments; that we should consider many views, and not just assume there's only two positions. The thread title Security vs. Freedom over simplifies the issue, making a stance on one side seem directly opposing the other.

I see the War in Iraq as doing damage to our security. Our ties with the rest of the world have weakened ever since we invaded Iraq. There is also no clear response to the effectivness of the surge. Our National Guard are over seas, leaving us with less men in the homeland. Less men are re-enlisting in the military; and mercenarie contractors are being confused with US soliders amoung the Iraqies, creating more hostility when black water ****s up.

So my objection to the increased security policy is that our occupation in Iraq supposedly did that for us since we didn't want to give up our freedoms. That was the whole point of being there I thought, let's not change our ways, "let's just take over them terrorists".

This isn't about condoms at the air port, it's about wire tapping without warrents, being on a no fly list, possibly bringing back the draft, when the war in the middle East is was suppose to protect us from having to change. I don't see this as increased security so much as disrupting the innocent to creat an illusion of security, just like the War in Iraq is an illusion for fighting terrorism.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz:
I see the shampoo issue as the same thing. People find newer, crazier ways to kill eachother. Times change. Breaking things down into such terms of black and white is naive and silly, and I refuse to entertain such thoughts. Therefore, if I must choose between "freedom" and "Security" as quoted by ol Benny Franklin in his archaic, unapplicabletomoderntimes quote, I choose option C, which is "get real".

I would pretty much agree with you if it was, in fact, necessary to forfeit freedoms to ensure security. Our security protocols were never the problem, really. It was bureaucracy and ignorance that prevented us from stopping the attacks of September 11h before they happened, not a lack of intelligence. I'd say "getting real" is sorting out the way we handle the intelligence we gather, not spying on 300 million people to try to find that needle in a haystack. I don't just oppose it for privacy reasons; I think wasting resources in such a manner doesn't contribute anything to making us more secure, and we can use more effective means that don't encroach on rights.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Of course there are other options besides security and freedom, but generally, on a national level, you have to realize that as one increases, the other directly decreases.

There may be an option C, but I'd be willing to bet it's just a variation of some middle ground between options A and B.

A good democratic society should be balanced between freedom and restrictions on freedom which provide security. It's the old saying "The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins.", meaning that you can do anything you want, as long as you're not infringing on the rights of others to do whatever they want. It's up to the legislature to work on defining that point.

Posted by S

The point that they're making is as such: Our security has increased nihl, and our freedom dropped drastically. No correlation here besides fear tactics being to blame. Maybe in a normal democracy, where the nation and media don't take advantage of the more idiotic, that notion would be feasible. Currently, however, its far from that.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

The fact is that if you remove enough freedom and add some fear, you'll end up with a fairly secure country. Look at any dictatorship. The dictator rules with an iron fist, and anyone who opposes him will die, and it's likely that their family will too. Therefore, you don't see many car-bombings or a great deal of crime because the people know what will happen to them if they step out of line.

You just have to ask if it's worth it. In response to a question about America's consistently diminishing freedoms, Mitt Romney said that it's being done to protect our most sacred right, that being the right not to die.

But the people who founded this country did so under slogans such as "Live Free or Die" and "Give me Liberty or give me death", so obviously they felt that it was worth being put at risk from other people just to enjoy basic freedoms.

I'd bet that many of America's founders would rather take a chance of a terrorist hijacking their plane rather than giving up the right to bring shampoo in their carry-on, if you take my meaning.

Posted by Desperado

I believe anything goes nowdays

Posted by TimeSkipz

[quote=mis0;756933]I'd say "getting real" is sorting out the way we handle the intelligence we gather, not spying on 300 million people to try to find that needle in a haystack. I don't just oppose it for privacy reasons; I think wasting resources in such a manner doesn't contribute anything to making us more secure, and we can use more effective means that don't encroach on rights.

The RFID chip is implanted into your right hand, as soon as this is implanted the government can track your every movement. Don't believe me? If you have a passport in the top left corner is an RFID chip.

Except those chips have a range of, what, an inch? lol

Posted by TimeSkipz

To scan it, not to track it.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Don't need a chip, they'll just scan your retinas.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting TimeSkipz: The RFID chip is implanted into your right hand, as soon as this is implanted the government can track your every movement. Don't believe me? If you have a passport in the top left corner is an RFID chip.

I fell like I should let you know that the RFID chip is not implanted into my right hand. There is no reason to have things like this chip you're describing. It's more likely that a government would simply scare people into surrendering their freedoms and privacy by telling them that an enemy could potentially use their privacy and freedom to plan an attack on them.