Dead Pixel Problem on PSPs?

Posted by jmarr

I keep hearing about dead pixels on PSPs being a real problem. In fact, Sony first discounted the problem but now is saying that they will replace the unit for dead pixels. this was on Slashdot:

Quoted post: As reported on Gamestop, Sony will now warranty PSP units suffering from dead pixels. Sony still insists that dead pixels are a common problem in all LCD displays, saying "A very small number of dark pixels or continuously lit pixels is normal for LCD screens, and is not a sign of a malfunction," and asks that PSP owners use theirs for at least a week or two, to see if it still bothers them. User who encounter, "persistent and aggravating dead pixels," are instructed to contact Sony customer support, and will be allowed to mail in their PSP to recieve a unit with a new screen."
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03/25/news_6121092.html

how many of you on this board have PSP, does yours have dead pixels? I'm sort of thinking about getting one, but I don't want *any* dead pixels!!

I mean, it sounds like the problem is really over the top. this was a message in the message thread for this artice on slashdot:

Quoted post: My wife - she works at Futureshop (the Canadian arm of Best Buy) - came home last night to tell me of her hatred for the PSP.

On the opening day, about 17% of the PSPs sold were returned due to defect of some kind. Many of them didn't even turn on.

Yesterday, she had person after person coming into the store complaining about dead pixels. With one guy, she went through an entire crate of PSPs to try and find one that didn't have a dead pixel. No luck. He ended up settling for a PSP that had only one dead pixel - rather than the average 3. One of them had an entire vertical column gone.

From what I'm hearing from my wife, it would be much, much better to wait until revision B before thinking about purchasing a PSP. The ones on the shelves today have far too many defects

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Yeah, I always said I'd wait until after launch to get one. This was a problem common on the DS too - all LCD screens have a fairly high chance of it happening. The reason you don't see it on many other devices is that there isn't as much of a high demand in any other market - most games consoles nowadays aren't planned much as far as beta testing goes. Sony are notorious for it - the first batch of PS1 and PS2 were both faulty, scratching your disks and burning out, etc. The XBox also scratched discs, and of course there's that problem with the mains cable.

I actually had a dead pixel on my DS, and went back to replace it. The shop said they could only do it once, and then I would have to take it up with Nintendo. Luckily my new one doesn't have any. I assume they would do the same with the PSP.

Posted by jmarr

interesting... thanks for the info. I was surprised to hear that the DS has been having the same problem, but as I expected, it's on a much smaller scale than Sony's problem.

I know that dead pixels are pretty common on LCD screens in general, but that's usually referring to computer monitors where there are many more times the number of pixels cmpared to the small PSP screen. If you take into account the ratio of dead-to-good and apply that to the small LCD on the PSP, it just seems that the number of dead pixels should be greatly reduced.

I also found out that Samsung (probably THE best LCD monitor maker, IMHO) has recently changed their policy on dead pixels from saying that a few are 'normal' to 'we have a zero dead pixel guarantee'. pretty impressive and makes Sony look like asses in this situation.

yeah, I had planned on waiting for Version 2 of the PSP, but I was hoping that it would be a solid release that I could go score without worry...

Posted by Mystic Hero

There is bound to be a few problems when a new thing is first released to the public. Yes, the pixel problem on the DS can get annoying at times but I'm sure they'll find a way to fix that. Either way, it just takes time for them to solve the problem. I'm sure after a while the pixel problem on the PSP will reduce after a few improvements on how the screen works.

Posted by Bebop

I have a dead pixel on my DS. It's not that much of a problem but like a low droning humming noise the small kid next to on the plane is making it can just get irrating at times. Still, better not to have it I suppose.

Posted by Lacaran

I've gone through five PSPs now and all of them have had 5+ dead pixels. I bought the one year warranty at EB and will wait ten months for them to push out better units, then exchange it.

Posted by jmarr

whoa... 5+ dead pixels seems like way too much for such a small screen... ugh!

Quoting Mystic Hero: There is bound to be a few problems when a new thing is first released to the public.

well, the PSP is a new device, but the LCD screen in it is 'old' technology. I mean old as in been around for a few years. Dead Pixels are pretty common for LCD screens, but 1 or 2 on a 2million+ pixel computer monitor is common. 5+ on that small PSP would drive me absolutely bonkers, especially after dishing out $250.

the way I understand it, each LCD pixel has a shutter in front of it. Like blinds on a window, they can open to let light through, but instead of being open or closed, they rotate between horizontal and vertical to let different types of light through - this is called polarization. The dead or 'stuck' pixels are the 'blinds' stuck in one position and depending on that position, they can be stuck on different colors or stuck 'on' or stuck 'off'. I guess the 'blinds' can become unstuck sometimes, but I don't think that happens very often.

Bebop, I'm sorry to hear about your DS. I'm shocked to hear that 2 out of the 5 posters in here had that problem on the DS. I think I'll stick with my GBAsp for a few more months...

thanks for all the info guys, I had read about the problem but I didn't see any threads on this issue.

Posted by Pit

My DS has a dead pixel on the touch screen. It's constantly fixated on the color blue. You notice it much more on the DS that the PSP due to the smaller screen. It tends to stand out more. I'd say every PSP has over 3 dead pixels. Me, I really don't know. I'm aware that I have more than 1, but only 1 is seen, and even then it's very hard to find it. It's always black, doesn't bother gameplay though, so that's good.

Posted by Lacaran

Not all of them have 3+ dead pixels. My friend's has none, and Sony polls state 60% are dead pixel free, with 30% with only 1-2. I think 55% of those dead pixel-less people are blind, but who knows.

Posted by Night Owl

what are dead pixels? and what do they do?

Posted by Night Owl

so if you dont have a warranty can you still send a the psp in and get a refurbished/new one?

Posted by Darkbackward

DS = 0 dead pixels
PSP = 0 dead pixels

me = playing

Posted by Pit

Quoting Night Owl: so if you dont have a warranty can you still send a the psp in and get a refurbished/new one?

Sony is not gonna take any PSP's with 10 pixels or less. Policy :)

Posted by Night Owl

are you sure of that?

Posted by Pit

Quoting Night Owl: are you sure of that?

Yeah. Positive.

Posted by Random

Actually it's just people who are dumb and don't read that have the Pixle Problem. It says specifically in the PSP Manual!! That if you turn the BRIGHTNESS UP then you'll have problems with it. It says it in the Manual. People just need to read. I read upon it. It's not really a problem. You the person make the problem not the console!!

Actually, a smaller screen does not necessarily mean fewer dead pixels... learn your probability. :p

EVERY pixel has the same chance (more of less) of being dead. So there is every chance a PSP screen can have more dead pixels than an LCD monitor. not that surprising, really.

Posted by Night Owl

Quoting SomebodyRandom: Actually it's just people who are dumb and don't read that have the Pixle Problem. It says specifically in the PSP Manual!! That if you turn the BRIGHTNESS UP then you'll have problems with it. It says it in the Manual. People just need to read. I read upon it. It's not really a problem. You the person make the problem not the console!!

so are you saying once you change the brightness you can never go back to the same one?

Posted by mralph225

Ok, i just got my first dead pixel, and have had the psp for only a week.... I wonder how many i'll have a year from now?

Posted by mralph225

Someone random, i'v read the manuel, ( not in deep detail like you I suppose) and i'v never seen anything about it saying not to change the brightness, and it's funny how you don't tell us what page it's on, so.... WHAT PAGE IS IT ON!!!!

Posted by Random

I'm not sure what page it's on. Next time get your little reading glasses on and carefully read through. It's in there. Guys at EB pointed it out to me and I warned someone of the problem and he too saw it in the Manual. There is a problem it says not to turn up the brightness. And i'm sure you can find it online... Hope you like your loss of one reputation point... And I was only trying to help.. -_- some people are so unthankful...

Posted by mralph225

Don't go throwing false information at people Somebody random--- oh, and if your telling the truth, then why don't u look in the manuel and tell me what page it's on--- oh that's right, cuz it's not in there, you dumb ****

Posted by Arczu

I really don't think that this is a problem that will be resolved quite easily. I would be UBER pissed if there was a dead pixel in the middle of the screen. It would overt a large percent of my attention while trying to play a game come the time I get a PSP...

Posted by Pit

Quoting Arczu]

Posted by Random

Quoting mralph225: wings, why do you show us those corny pictures of yourself? You look like a fucking fag man, get a fucking life, what do u do for a living anyways?? do u even have a job, or do u just sit in your room and draw on that .. thing and go on your computer?

Dude seriously shut the hell up. This is supposed to be about the pixle problem and your rambling on like some child. Your taking it further then it has to go. So STFU seriously.

That's not me. That's bazariah, another member. And it's my SIGNATURE, so be quiet. I've been thinking of taking it out anyway. This is me:

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/willeth/IMAG0267.jpg[/IMG]

I know I look a bit gangsta, but I only just took it and I had to hold the camera in a position where I'd get enough light for decent colouration. The sleeveless shirt is just cause it was hot today. :p

EDIT: Don't mind the date, that's cause I never bothered to set my camera up correctly :p

Posted by brownoystercult

Not gangsta? It looks like you live in the ghetto. And if not..explain this.

Care to explain yourself? ;)

Yeah, that bitch has got some 'splainin' to do, Holmes. Those kids couldn't possibly be mine.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Your chin looks capable of killing a small cat.

Not that that is a bad thing :) Who wouldn't want a weapon of that power?

Wow. Most people usually attack the monobrow, or the facial hair. or the fact that I do actually look annoyingly like Jesse.

Can anyone say 'Off-Topic'?

Posted by Random

*Raises hand...* Off Topic...

Posted by Pit

*Raises Hand* Locked!!