Avast! Trouble

Posted by Alastor

Yeah, so, Avast! Antivirus is screwing with my computer. It stopped auto-updating, telling me my license was "about" to expire in like a couple thousand days. The pop up was getting annoying, and it wasn't updating or even giving me virus protection anymore, so I figured I should reinstall it and just get another key for it.

After uninstall, I'm prompted to reboot so it can finish the uninstallation. I reboot, and every time I log on to either of the desktops on this computer, I crash. I was able to get back in via Safe Mode and perform a System Restore to Friday, and I was able to log on fine. I then tried to install Avast again, again prompting a reboot. Again, I crash any time I try to log on.

As it stands, my computer's functional, but Avast won't get off of my system. I've disabled it from starting up, and now I can log in just fine. When I try to uninstall Avast from the Change or Remove Programs menu, I get this error message.

[IMG]http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x65/Dystorce/AvastSucks.png[/IMG]

Seeing as how I've uninstalled/reinstalled it two or three times now, I'm just going to stop messing with it. I tried to just let it remain on my system, inactive, and install Kaspersky instead, but I can't install Kaspersky until I get rid of Avast.

How should I go about getting rid of it?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=12

Tried this?

Posted by Alastor

Nope. :cookie:

Now I feel like an idiot. Thanks, regardless. Just ran it, about to reboot and give Kaspersky another go.

Yeah, not sure what causes the problem, but as uncommon as it is, it happens. My work installs it as default on everyone's computer that needs it and we've gotten a couple back complaining about this. It happens with most anti-virus programs it seems. Norton especially.

... though you could've probably found that with a simple google search :)

Posted by Alastor

Still crashing soon as I log on. Only on right now because I did a System Restore to about 3 hours ago, which put Avast back on here. I seem to be stuck in a cycle.

If I can't fix it by tomorrow, going to dig the discs out and just reformat the entire thing, then never even bother with Avast again. :link:

Posted by Ant

****, and I was expecting Pirate talk from YE.

Posted by Gollum

The solution is to get nod32. I used to have avast, but I like nod32 better.

Sorry if this reply is not constructive.

Posted by Alastor

Either nod32 or Kaspersky. Doesn't matter to me, as long as it doesn't do all of this crap.

I reformatted, by the way. Everything's like new! Except this thing is a piece of **** to begin with, so it's nothing too special.

Reformat fixed everything, so now I just have to decide which antivirus I should pirate next. Arrr. :link:

Edit: Yeah, no. **** it, I'm tired of messing with it. I've reformatted twice, and now a bunch of dlls are messing up for absolutely no reason. I don't even want the computer anymore. Going to just give it to my dad or something and use my sister's from now on since she's only home for like an hour every two weeks anyway.

Sucks to be you.

Though NOD32 is technically the best anti-virus program out there.

Posted by The Judge

Have you tried deleting your system 32 file? It makes your internet run faster.

Posted by Alastor

I don't even know what's wrong with it anymore. I started up the System Restore process a third time, but went to bed before it finished, and my dad was using it when I woke up. He said it couldn't find "something", but that it loaded up fine. Programs I'd installed are still on here, though. Some of the default trial software is replaced, but both times I restored it yesterday, it wiped everything.

I'm not even going to bother moving anything of mine back to this computer from my sister's. I backed up all of my stuff onto her hard drive, but I don't know that this one won't screw up again by the next reboot, so I think I'll just wing it for a bit. It has to be something on startup, because if it doesn't crash instantly upon log on, I get error messages from what few programs I have set to start with Windows, and then it crashes.

Posted by Alastor

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/w2000Msgs/6093.mspx?mfr=true

That's what's been wrong with it. Wasn't avast at all. Avast still wasn't updating, but it wasn't linked with my random crashes.