Burj Dubai (New Tallest Free Standing Structure)

Posted by Axis

Quoted post: DUBAI (AFP) - The world's tallest building, still under construction in the booming Gulf emirate of Dubai, has become the world's tallest free-standing structure, its developers said on Thursday.

The Burj Dubai tower is now 555 metres (1,831.5 feet) tall and has surpassed the 553-metre- (1,824.9-feet) CN Tower in Toronto, Canada, which held the record for the world's tallest free-standing structure since 1976, developers Emaar Properties said in a statement.

The skyscraper, being built by South Korea's Samsung and set for completion at the end of next year, is one of several mega projects taking shape in Dubai, which is part of the United Arab Emirates.

The statement did not reveal the tower's final projected height or its final number of storeys, which Emaar has kept secret since launching the project in January 2004.

The developer announced in July that Burj Dubai, Arabic for Dubai Tower, had exceeded Taiwan's Taipei 101 which is 508 metres (1,676.4 feet) tall, to become the tallest building in the world.

Will look something similar to this:
[IMG]http://www.technovelgy.com/graphics/content/burj-tower.jpg[/IMG]

And a comparison chart with the other tallest buildings:
[IMG]http://i4.tinypic.com/6ban9ua.jpg[/IMG]

Construction on the building should be done around late 2008.

This city all together is just flat out insane. This city is also home to the world's tallest hotel, the [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burj_Al_Arab"]Burj Al Arab[/URL], which we have all seen. Other notable projects include [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_Islands"]The Palm Islands[/URL],[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_%28archipelago%29"]The World Islands[/URL], and [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubai_Mall"]The Dubai Mall[/URL]. For the record, the Dubai Mall is 12 Million Square Feet. For comparison, The Mall of America is 2.5 million and the West Edmonton Mall is 3.8 million. I for one can't even think about what all would be in it, but it better include Jurrasic Park in it.

I think Dubai in about 5 years will be the coolest city on the planet.

EDIT: A cool video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=5LjTWSKbfiU

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: CN Tower in Toronto, Canada

Quoted post:
West Edmonton Mall

TO ARMS, CANADA

Posted by Xero

I heard about it before. It's gonna be a nice building. I bet a bunch of people will travel just to see that tower.

Posted by Iris

**** U.A.E and its geographic feats.

Posted by Xenos

[quote=Xero;752069]I heard about it before. It's gonna be a nice building. I bet a bunch of people will travel just to see that tower. Mostly Japanese tourists :p:

uh ok

Posted by Xero

Quoting Xenos: uh ok

Yeah I know. I just realized =/

Posted by mis0

So this building will end up being just under half a mile tall, then? That's pretty impressive.

Posted by G-Sides

**** that ****, i absolutely CANNOT take heights, especially of that magnitude.
unless i'm on a roller coaster 8-)

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I really want to go to Dubai now. Only

Posted by Xeones

it would be cool to stay there, but i can imagine many other places that would be just as nice without spending so much ***dam money. **** 4200 bucks/ish american to stay one night...thats like 2 months salary for me, not it!

Posted by Klarth

[quote]4200 bucks/ish american to stay one night...
I think you should keep an eye on your economy, bruh.

Posted by Ant

dubai, what a weird little country.

Posted by Iris

Dubai isn't a country.

Posted by The Hate

Wow nearly twice as tall as the Empire State Building. Looks very unsteady. Shouldnt the base be wider?

Posted by Speedfreak

If we don't know it's height then, um, how do we know how tall it's gonna be?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Speedfreak;753147]If we don't know it's height then, um, how do we know how tall it's gonna be?

The projected height is 2,626m. So it'll be roughly that high.

Posted by mis0

You mean feet, the evil antilogic American units. 2,626 metres would be like ~1.6 miles, which would be incredibly tall for a building. The elevator ride would be a ***** too.

More like ****ing awesome. Assuming you can see out of it...

Posted by Iris

I don't know, it'd suck if you were afraid of heights. You know, watching yourself go up 800 meters, trapped in an elevator.

Yeah, well, **** those kids. I wanna see out my elevator.

Posted by Ant

Quoting Iris: Dubai isn't a country.

shut up. it IS the country.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=The X;753156]The projected height is 2,626m. So it'll be roughly that high.

Doesn't answer my question. How can they know the projected height if the height is such a huge secret?

[quote=mis0;753364]You mean feet, the evil antilogic American units.

...you don't honestly think Britain used the metric system before America was spawned, do you?

Posted by mis0

Quoting Speedfreak: ...you don't honestly think Britain used the metric system before America was spawned, do you?

Of course I don't. But no other country clings to the imperial system like America does. I know you guys still have speed limits posted in mph rather than km/h, measure certain things in imperial units, etc. However, I think it was in 1995 Britian made it's legal transitition to metric units as per EU regulation. And certainly, when I was there this summer there were lots more uses of metric units on packaging of things, gasoline is sold by the litre, temperatures forecasted in centigrade, etc.

I'm just saying we're pretty much the last place that uses the imperial system for almost everything, especially in terms of official documentation.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Speedfreak;754250]Doesn't answer my question. How can they know the projected height if the height is such a huge secret?

Architectural plans. Dunno about UAE's construction laws, but in most Western countries, once you begin construction, your plans are in the public domain.

Posted by Kamek

Speaking of really tall buildings, I can't wait for the "Freedom Tower" to be built. I definitely think it's a crazy thing to have a huge defining part of a major city's skyline built in your lifetime. It's pretty crazy not seeing the towers, but it'll be interesting to see this new building too. I think it's going to be about 1776ft tall, signifying the year of independence.

Posted by Legend Saber

Quoting Speedfreak: Doesn't answer my question. How can they know the projected height if the height is such a huge secret?

They're guessing, basically.

I'm glad that ******* CN Tower has finally been passed, and will be even more impressed when the tower surpasses 2,063 feet, which would make it higher than any man-made structure on Earth (held with guyed wires). There are also currently laws in the United States that prohibit structures higher than 2,063 feet from being built, which means America won't be able to build higher unless the law is changed.

Fun to see the second battle for the highest building on the planet, though. I hear some other company already wants to make something higher than the Dubai Tower will be. A 1,000 meter vertical structure would be great to see.