TGS '07: The Japan Game of the Year

Posted by Big Boss

The same guys that put together the Tokyo Game Show are also responsible for "The Japan Game Awards."

[url="http://tgs.gamespot.com/story.html?sid=6179554&pid=942000&tag=top_stories%3btitle%3b5"]Japan's game(s) of the year announced[/url]

[quote]A number of games were also given the nod for excellence: Lost Planet: Extreme Condition, Ryu ga Gotoku 2, Professor Layton and the Curious Village, Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, Blue Dragon, New Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker, Gundam Musou, and Okami.

The Game of the Year (released between April 1, 2006, and March 31, 2007) went to two games: A Wii title and a PSP title.

Posted by Fate

WTF? Game of the YEAR?

Posted by S

Quoting Fate: WTF? Game of the YEAR?

My mouth dropped similarly.

What this says to me is: It makes more people buy video games, so you get game of the year!

Honestly though, this just screams pathetic. If anything, the game capitalized on the system's uniqueness itself, the game was in no way innovative or ground breaking by any means. Just... meh.

Posted by Poco

Blue Dragon is that mediocre RPG with the design by the guy who reuses the same 3 models over and over, right?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Monster Hunter is pretty badass, and a ****ing massive title in Japan. Makes sense.

Posted by Speedfreak

Eh, I don't have a major problem with Wii Sports getting game of the year. It's innovative and brought gaming to a shitload of people. Doesn't matter that it sorta sucks.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Speedfreak;751787]Doesn't matter that it sorta sucks.

oh, wow.

I don't understand why Blue Dragon is on that list. Did they need a 360 title to make it balanced, or do Japanese people really lap up mediocre RPGs like this?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I'd have to assume it's the former. Because though it did sell pretty decently considering the market... **** still sucks.