New Xasthur internview

Posted by Grave Wisdom

[SIZE=2][COLOR=Blue]Supposedly his last interview, but hasn't he said that before?[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=Blue]Also, it's worth noting but he admitted to being influenced by Funeral Doom on the new album. Maybe I wasn't crazy after all? [/COLOR]

[QUOTE]

Saturday, August 25, 2007

XASTHUR INTERVIEW... HIS LAST?

[URL="http://bp2.blogger.com/_X3TLfXUrZ88/RtCU52LhH9I/AAAAAAAAAKE/oiPlTowDago/s1600-h/xasthur_pr_04_4c.jpg"][IMG]http://bp2.blogger.com/_X3TLfXUrZ88/RtCU52LhH9I/AAAAAAAAAKE/oiPlTowDago/s320/xasthur_pr_04_4c.jpg[/IMG][/URL]Since 1995, a man who goes by Malefic has created noisy, minimalistic black metal soundscapes by himself with his group, Xasthur. With murky tones, repetitive motifs and almost instrumental-like vocals, it ranks among the most introspective yet scary music I've ever heard. Although he contributed to Twilight, a collective of US-based black metal musicians, which he recently departed (to be replaced by Isis vocalist/guitarist Aaron Turner), and has contributed to the groups Sick (US) and Mord (US), as well as vocals for SunnO)), he is music sounds like the work of an isolationist. Often, he has used drum machines, which gives his music even more of a less-human sound. For his latest album, Defective Epitaph (Hydra Head), he expanded his musical instrumentation to include cello and live drums.

Earlier this year, Malefic answered some questions I had for a feature I was writing for CMJ. He wanted the original, unexpurgated interview to appear so he could not be misquoted, which I completely understand. At the end of this interview, he says that it will be his last, but only time will tell if that's not the case. Nevertheless, in this interview, done via email, he is candid, thorough and witty. I especially like his Pumping Up With Hans & Franz reference near the end (or maybe I'm missing something). Nevertheless, it was an honor to do an interview with Malefic.

Why are you including drums and cello on your forthcoming album? Will you be playing the instruments?
Yes, the drums and cello have been performed by myself. It

Posted by Omni

Huh, I've only ever read about three interviews from him anyway. Some of the stuff he says is pretty interesting.

Quoting Grave Wisdom: [COLOR=Blue]Also, it's worth noting but he admitted to being influenced by Funeral Doom on the new album. Maybe I wasn't crazy after all? [/COLOR]

He said he was influenced by funeral doom in general, not just on the new album.

Posted by Grave Wisdom

Ahh, true true.

Posted by Omni

The new one is actually quicker at many parts and usually less doomy than before.

Posted by Grave Wisdom

I already made mention of it being quicker, but the atmosphere is as funeral as ever. The keyboard stylings, the drums etc.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

The keyboards are classic xasthur if you ask me. You can be influenced by something without your music actually being said influence.

I noticed he wasn't as idiotic in that interview as he has been in the past. Thankfully.

Posted by Slade

Pretty good interview. He was more honest about a few things, like why he still lives in LA. I've only ever heard that he lived there to purposely surround himself with everything he hates. I guess he could still feel that way sometimes.