Urban Legends

Posted by Kendra, Warrior Babe

What are some local urban legends in your area? In the town I used to live in, there are too many to count- ghost stories, mostly. Bloody Mary always seemed to be the town mascot, as everyone claims to have met her, where I used to live. But the most famous one would have to be the Urania Clara Mills / Mary Allen Smith ghost, at the campus. There have been one or two or three books about the case, its supposed somewhat famous, and I've actually seen pics of these ladies. They're creepy. If you do any digging into the story, you'll see that no one ever gets the facts straight, but, anyway, here is the best account that I could find.

http://www.prairieghosts.com/wesleyan.html

So, what are some urban myths / legends in your town / area?

Posted by Linko_16

Closest thing I can talk about is when we went to camp and they told us about the White Albino. He was once a man who worked for the forest by flying a plane that dumped slurry, a mixture of water and certain other substances that is effective for putting out forest fires. His plane crashed one day, and he emerged from the site with his skin burned and charred white and his mind absolutely off the deep end. In madness, he started to just run and run until he was lost in the forest. Now he acts as some kind of wild animal, preying on weak and ignorant campers who leave themselves vulnerable. It's said that he's still fairly intelligent, and even if he doesn't eat or kill you in the attack, he'll rip out your tongue, supposedly so you can't tell anyone what happened or where you saw him.

Ew. Yours trumps mine.

Posted by Linko_16

Mine's an obvious fake, though, what with the redundant name and just lack of common sense (skin charred white from a plane crash?).

Posted by Xeones

Quoting Linko_16: Closest thing I can talk about is when we went to camp and they told us about the White Albino. He was once a man who worked for the forest by flying a plane that dumped slurry, a mixture of water and certain other substances that is effective for putting out forest fires. His plane crashed one day, and he emerged from the site with his skin burned and charred white and his mind absolutely off the deep end. In madness, he started to just run and run until he was lost in the forest. Now he acts as some kind of wild animal, preying on weak and ignorant campers who leave themselves vulnerable. It's said that he's still fairly intelligent, and even if he doesn't eat or kill you in the attack, he'll rip out your tongue, supposedly so you can't tell anyone what happened or where you saw him.

Deos he rip off all of your limbs too so you cant write it down??? Appearently he isnt that smart...

Posted by Klarth

[quote]White Albino
WELCOME TO THE REDUNDANT DEPARTMENT OF REDUNDANCY DEPARTMENT.

AND HELLO.

Posted by Linko_16

I NO ITS STUPID, K? LETS HERE UR AMAZIN STORYS IF THEIR SO AMAZIN.

Posted by Klarth

None of my town's freakish goings-on are urban legends. If you want to see something just plain wrong then all you have to do is walk down the high street.

Example: The guy in Mickey Mouse slippers and a cowboy hat with a synthesiser.

Example 2: The seven-foot-tall guy who spends all day every day walking around the city dragging a stick against the walls of every building.

Example 3: transvestites oh ***

Posted by Skitzo Control

There's an old homeless woman with a lot of dogs in town, called "The Dog Lady," for obvious reasons. Many people say she's actually one of the richest people in town, with millions of dollars stashed away or invested all over the US.

Posted by maian

idk, I heard one yesterday.

Obvious fake.

"lol yeah did you know all the employees at Wendys rub their dicks on all the buns, jizz in the drink machines, and the mexicans have sex on for preparing tables? not eating there again!"

I mean, come on.

Posted by mis0

There's a place called "haunted hill" here at the end of Menaul Blvd. in the mountain foothills where you supposedly will hear footsteps, bodies being dragged, and screaming. They say an old man used to take prostitutes there and murder them, and that sometimes his ghost will appear or a latern will be moving around on its own. Maybe I'll go up there and check it out sometime.

Posted by The Hate

Theres this hill near me with a sharp turn at the end. A school bus full of kids died on that turn. Supposivly if you put baby powder on your front bumper, you will see hand prints on it, because they are trying to stop your car. Never tried it yet.

Posted by Skitzo Control

That urban legend would be so much more cool if it were kids' faces instead of hands, 'cause then you'd be running over their face with your Nissan.:)

Posted by The Hate

That would be creepy as hell.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting The Hate: Theres this hill near me with a sharp turn at the end. A school bus full of kids died on that turn. Supposivly if you put baby powder on your front bumper, you will see hand prints on it, because they are trying to stop your car. Never tried it yet.

Do it, report findings.

Posted by The Hate

Ok Ill do it tomorrow.

Posted by Average n00b

DSOA (School) is really old, 50+ I think. And I'm in the theatre department, there's a place called the Black Box where some smaller plays take place, the black box was there ever since the school started, and there's rumours that there are 'The Black Box Ghosts' or something, I haven't heard too much, it's kinda fun because when you turn off the lights, it's pitch black because there are no windows. Whenever we turn off the lights you'll always hear kids trying to scare others by saying, "Ooooooh The Black Box ghosts are coming!" Or something.

I've heard that one about the bumpers, millions of times. We have that story in our town, but its so popular, no one really buys into it much.

Posted by MottaTheHutt

There was a serial rapist running around the woods behind my high school a few years back, or so I've heard (from a lot of people.) I just moved here last year, so I don't know if it's actually true.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Average n00b: DSOA (School) is really old, 50+ I think. And I'm in the theatre department, there's a place called the Black Box where some smaller plays take place, the black box was there ever since the school started, and there's rumours that there are 'The Black Box Ghosts' or something, I haven't heard too much, it's kinda fun because when you turn off the lights, it's pitch black because there are no windows. Whenever we turn off the lights you'll always hear kids trying to scare others by saying, "Ooooooh The Black Box ghosts are coming!" Or something.

Huh, our high school had a small theatre called the Black Box. Weird.

Firefox is now officially retarded for not recognizing the word "theatre" and suggesting I replace it with "theater."

Posted by Klarth

Oh, I forgot. My school's on the grounds of a cathedral, and in order to get from the area of campus my dorm is on to where most of the classrooms are, there's a short passage under the cathedral I have to go through.

Well, it's actually true that there's been a woman buried in the walls of that passage for the past nine hundred years or so, but there's a popular myth that on a new moon friday night, bad stuff goes on!

Posted by Klarth

[quote]DSOA (School) is really old, 50+ I think.
THAT'S NOT REALLY OLD.

THAT'S NOT REALLY OLD AT ALL.

Posted by Shade

Oh shut up with your MY SCHOOL IS THE OLDEST SCHOOL IN THE WORLD

Posted by Axis

I doubt he went to the University of Al-Karaouine.

Posted by Poco

at my school, a ghost of the priest walks the halls and stuff. he was pretty tight in life, so I've heard, and i bet he's cool in death.

Posted by Average n00b

Quoting Linko_16:
Firefox is now officially retarded for not recognizing the word "theatre" and suggesting I replace it with "theater."

Well, there is a difference.

Theatre=The actual preformance

Theater=The building where the preformance takes place.

Or something like that..I can't be bothered to research it. xD

Posted by Echo

There was this old deserted house in my home town that was supposed to be haunted. I can't remember the name of the guy who used to live there right now, but there is a cemetery near the house with the guy's grave, and he has this big black gravestone. I never got to go in the house though, because it mysteriously burned down about 2 years ago.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Axis: I doubt he went to the University of Al-Karaouine.

University of Al-Karaouine: Founded 859.
The King's School, Canterbury: Founded 597.

Jerk.

I remember when I was a kid, my friends and I would dare each other to run up and touch the old Cather house. Supposedly, Willa Cather had lived there a while back, but there are a lot of folks with that name in my town, so probably not. In a book I read a while back about local ghosts in the area, that place was mentioned, and so was my old house, but I never really thought the place was that strange. Though it is pretty cool, I think, that we had lived there; I miss that place. :(

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Average n00b: Well, there is a difference.

Theatre=The actual preformance

Theater=The building where the preformance takes place.

Or something like that..I can't be bothered to research it. xD

I've never heard it that way before, but all the same, it's still a word.

Posted by Average n00b

Oh yeah. I heard in Disney some guy died on the Pirates of the Carrabean ride by getting crushed by machinery, and apparantly if you call out his name the ride stops working for a while. I'll have to test it out next time I go, but first I need to know his name, it's on the net somewhere I just forgot.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Just from saying any loud noises would make a Disney ride stop working momentarily. The rides are getting so old, especially the huanted hotel.

Posted by Omni

Quoting WillisGreeny: Just from saying any loud noises would make a Disney ride stop working momentarily. The rides are getting so old, especially the huanted hotel.

The Haunted Mansion? That's not even the oldest ride there.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting Omni: The Haunted Mansion? That's not even the oldest ride there.

How often it broke down while I was at Disney gave me the impression it was. Some of the employees were saying the mansion broke down more often than any other ride in the kingdom. However, that could have just been BS to make people less pushy who wanted to go on the ride.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Average n00b: Oh yeah. I heard in Disney some guy died on the Pirates of the Carrabean ride by getting crushed by machinery, and apparantly if you call out his name the ride stops working for a while. I'll have to test it out next time I go, but first I need to know his name, it's on the net somewhere I just forgot.

According to Snopes, [url=http://www.snopes.com/disney/parks/deaths.asp]no one's died on Pirates[/url].

Posted by Klarth

Posted by sniper

Around these parts, someone's been spreading the rumor that blacks are people too.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting netman: (comic)

Huh.

Still.

Posted by Axis

Quoting netman: University of Al-Karaouine: Founded 859.
The King's School, Canterbury: Founded 597.

Jerk.

OH NO YOU DIDN'T.

:(