Kid Nation, good or bad?

Posted by WillisGreeny

Incase you still haven't heard of this new reality tv show from CBS, here's a link:

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/kid_nation/

Does this show step over the line how far reality TV should be able to go?
Lord of the Flys? or social experiment?

Only reason I could see parents throwing their kids into this show would be for the possible prize, a gold star worth $20,000 towards college. Who gets the prize is selected by the kid counsel, not merit.

So, good or bad?

Posted by Omni

It's definitely outlandish, but at least they get to learn teamwork and other skills they'll need later in life.

Posted by The Hate

I wont be watching it lol.

Posted by cool gamer dad

Why not? Someone will find it entertaining.

Posted by The Hate

Like Terry Schiavo....o wait nvm.

Posted by Speedfreak

I can't believe the way the kids talk. It's like they were raised on TV and movie- OH WAIT.

Posted by Xeones

i havent seen it, but i say put those bastard kids to work.

Posted by The Hate

Lol kids can do as much as adults. I noticed that most of the kids in there were crying.

Posted by Xeones

I saw a clip where none of the kids wanted to kill a chicken they had...too bad every time they order mcnuggets or chicken wings from a restuarant they single handedly smoked at least 2 and half chickens themselves. But i guess as long as the axe literally isnt in their hands...they dont mind.

If i was one of those kids i'd be like "Fine little sarah, you dont want to execute the simple task of chopping this chicken's head off...then go plow the field for six hours."

Posted by Corrupt

What do kids know? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

Posted by The Hate

They know how to piss their pants.

Posted by mis0

It'll be awesome if the kid nation has a kid civil war. They'll throw sand at each other to death!

Posted by Xeones

Quoting mis0: It'll be awesome if the kid nation has a kid civil war. They'll throw sand at each other to death!

i imagine that would be like watching a nascar race, i'd have to fast forward through most of it and just play it and the good parts.

Posted by WillisGreeny

I found it funny what some of the kids were saying,

"Were doing it just like our ancestors"
"We can do just as much as adults"

BS : Stupid challenges didn't decide your class back in the day, just like how it doesn't now. You're born into it, so a system with drawing out of a hat would have been more realistic, but less entertaining. And our ancestors sure as hell didn't drink rootbeer, and pee their pants over killing a chicken. If these kids were actually doing the work early pioneers had needed to do the show would have never happened, since kids would have gotten hurt. Black smithing, horse breeding, barn building, well digging, there's a hell of a lot more than just plowing and carrying buckets of water.

If only I could yell at them through the TV:
"no, it's not the real experience you morons,
and NO, adults can do a hell of a lot more than you could, with a lot less BS."

If only...

Posted by Fate

Reading Lord of the Flies was scary enough. Don't want to watch this.

Posted by The Hate

I hope I wasnt that annoying as a kid.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Fate: Reading Lord of the Flies was scary enough. Don't want to watch this.

That was my first thought when I heard of this, too. Except it's probably more controlled, so no kids are going to get rocks dropped on their heads. Shame.

Posted by Xeones

Quoting Fate: Reading Lord of the Flies was scary enough. Don't want to watch this.

i dont know, i think it would be interesting to take bets in the beginning to see which one will turn out to be piggy. poor sucker had his face smashed in by a rock...thats got to be a ****ty way to go.

Posted by Fate

He actually was "pushed" off a cliff and his head busted open. There's always a Piggy.

Posted by Xeones

are you sure...im pretty sure they dropped a big *** rock on his head

Posted by WillisGreeny

In the movie a rock was dropped on his head. I don't know about the book.

Posted by Xeones

Quoting WillisGreeny: In the movie a rock was dropped on his head. I don't know about the book.

you're right

i looked on wikipedia...it says a rock aimed for ralph hit piggy killing him...which knocked him off a cliff along with the coveted conch shell. so i guess we were both right.

Posted by Shade

Poor Piggy.

I love how at the end they're all chasing Ralph and trying to kill him, but right when they see the sailor they're like "oh wait we're like fukken 10 years old why'd kill all those guys"

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Is this the Reality TV version of Battle Royale? If so, DO WANT

Posted by Shade

No. They leave a bunch of kids in a town by themselves and they have to live.

END.

I give 'em a week before it turns into battle royale.

Posted by WillisGreeny

It looks to me like the town is much more controlled by adults than what is advertised. Who is CBS trying to fool? ...besides little kids?

Posted by Sable Wind

When I read Lord of the Flies I was in 8th grade and in my rabid yaoi stage. You can bet what I turned Lord of the Flies into.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: I give 'em a week before it turns into battle royale.

CBS isn't giving them the fun necessary things like hand guns, cyanide, or grenades. They don't even get bomb collars! :(:(

Only a handful of the kids got actual weapons, and even less received guns. They can make do.

Posted by Fate

Quoting Sable Wind: When I read Lord of the Flies I was in 8th grade and in my rabid yaoi stage. You can bet what I turned Lord of the Flies into.

POR QUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Posted by ElroyJetson

Quoting WillisGreeny: ...Who gets the prize is selected by the kid counsel, not merit...

Why can't it be both? The kids prove their merit over the course of the show, and then a winner is selected by a counsel of their peers?? Sounds like a lot of other reality show's premisesm, to me...it's just that here, they're kids?

I don't know...there's definitely been a whole lot of hype surrounding it...I just want to check out an ep. on Wednesday and see for myself...

Posted by mis0

There was something about this on the local news last night. Kid Nation was filmed just south of our capital, Santa Fe. Apparently, state investigators were turned away when they attempted to access the site where the kids were, and officials here are certain that a number of laws regarding child welfare and labor were broken by CBS during the production of the show. There are reports that children accidentally drank bleach (how could they not smell it..?) and one was burned with hot oil. I wonder if any of that will show up in the show?

They were also made to drag wagons for distances greater than a mile, and out here in the desert, under the oppressive sun, I can imagine how incredibly strenuous such activity would be on kids who probably spend their days in front of their Xboxes. And if they didn't have clean water or a/c to cool off afterward... sounds like a lousy way to spend the summer at least.

I'll be really curious to see what happens to CBS. It certainly sounds like they broke a bunch of laws.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Sable Wind: When I read Lord of the Flies I was in 8th grade and in my rabid yaoi stage. You can bet what I turned Lord of the Flies into.

Lord of the Cocks?
Lord of the Cock Flies?

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting ElroyJetson: Why can't it be both? The kids prove their merit over the course of the show, and then a winner is selected by a counsel of their peers??

I don't share this positive view of kid's deciding merit when almost all high school elections are based on canidate's popularity. I have much more confidence they'll choose the cool kid over the weird one who pulls the wagon.

yeah, merit barely exists in the adult world, let alone one run by kids.

Posted by ElroyJetson

Quoting WillisGreeny: I don't share this positive view of kid's deciding merit when almost all high school elections are based on canidate's popularity...

Did you see the premiere ep.?? I'm not sure that this was the case.

Although Sophia got things up-and-running...I'm pretty sure that she's not the most 'popular' amongst the Nation...

And, I feel like 90% of those kids are a whole lot smarter than your average HS student...It's almost like it's cool to loose a lot of your maturity once you get to HS...

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting ElroyJetson: Did you see the premiere ep.?? I'm not sure that this was the case.

Forgive me for not believeing everything I see on TV.

1, Adults ARE around, otherwise nothing would be getting recorded. Point being kids wouldn't do anything drasticly crazy since adults would be able to stop them.
2, It's called editing. I bet more yelling goes on than what we see obviously. Who knows what was cut.
3, let's not forget some of these kids ARE highschool kids, which the younger kids seem to look up to (or fear).

BTW, your asking me if I had seen the premiere in my last post befor it was even aired....what do YOU think?

Posted by Fate

That beauty queen ***** kid sucks.

Quoted post: I bet more yelling goes on than what we see obviously. Who knows what was cut.

You'd see it. They keep in the yelling.

Posted by ElroyJetson

Quoting WillisGreeny: 1,...2,...3,...

It's cool, just opinions...

As far as 1,2, and 3...I can't even really comment, since there are some adults as production crew. After all, this isn't an entirely kid created, produced and filmed series...the kids are solely the subjects. Obviously, adults would be around to handle the rest.

And, almost all TV is edited in one-way-or-another, so that's another given...

Also, as far as I know there is only one 15 y/o (Greg) who might be in HS...

Quoting WillisGreeny: I have much more confidence they'll choose the cool kid over the weird one who pulls the wagon.

In the last ep. the council debated on whether or not to award the star to the kid who pulled the water wagon (Michael). He wasn't the most popular...(and was up against Greg), but did his part to keep H2O flowing in the town. So, he won...

Either way...looking forward to seeing what these kids get into this week!!