Lacedaemonian training

Posted by Xeones

Due in part to the movie 300 and sheer disgust of my physical well being; as well as my hatred of metrosexual gyms...i've started a spartanesque training regiment as of two weeks ago in my backyard. Since then i've lost close to 10 lbs, but thats not really what im focused on, nor why i'm here.

I'm here asking whether or not you might have some usefull advice. I'm not here asking for sarcastic or cynnical bull**** one-liners, but i know that by virtue of just saying that, i will most likely get them.

Anyways...here is what i have in my "Gym Jake" if you will

Daily Kettlebell workouts
250 daily pushups
250 daily sit-ups/crunches
100 pushups off olympic rings
Various degrees and lenghts of cardio every other day

I also purchased a tractor tire for 10 bucks. The **** thing weighs near 600 lbs. My friend and i flip it every other day, and the most we have reached is 50 flips in one session. The goal is to flip the tire 300 times in one day. That would equal one tire flip every 2 minutes...keep in mind it weighs 600 lbs. He is going to buy a sledgehammer and we will pummel the **** out of the tire with the hammer as well. It is supposed to be quite a workout, but we'll see.
If you want proof of the tire, im willing to take and post pictures of it...just ask.

Future workouts include:
Rowing Machine
Medicine balls
Resistance training with bunjee harnesses/parachutes.
Various free weights incorporated in manners i have yet to consider.

Anyways...if you guys have any workout routine suggestions let me know.

My daily diet includes:

1 glass of V8, 1 banana, 1 chicken breast, 1 bag of uncle ben's microwaveable rice and 1 packet of tuna.

Average daily caloric intake---1200

Oh, and if any of the rest of you want to try it out...please do. not that i expect anyone to actually do this...but it would be intruiging to see other people putting themselves under the same punishment.

Posted by Slade

I'm just curious- What was your physical condition before you started?

And are you sure 1200 calories is enough for all that work you're doing?

Posted by Xeones

By no means obease. I am in the air force so i do have to maintain some certain amount of physical condtioning...but hardly any.

My intention goes beyond weighing this or lifting that...i just want to be extraordinarily physically fit, not because i need to or because im getting some sort of sick satisfaction from looking better than other...but because life is absurdly short, and i want to be able to die saying that i was in peak physical condition at one point in my life.

But to answer your question...

I started 6' 1 1/2"....224lbs...12:54 minute 1 1/2 mile run.
Ive got lovehandles and tiny manboobs that in no way compare to Robert Paulson's "***** tits"

And no, it is not enough calories. that is pretty much what im getting at. Im eating to survive...not enjoyment. I eat just enough, but sometimes less...to get by and rebuild my muscles for the next days workout.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[IMG]http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u315/BrandoBardot/300.jpg[/IMG]

With all the working out, you'll be able to pick up a guy like this! :D

Posted by Speedfreak

Not enough calories, men need 2500. If you want to put on any muscle you're going to need more protein, get some whey powder milkshake crap.
Don't overexert yourself with the tyre, that thing will fuck your back up. You should probably lower your goals a bit too. Aim MUCH lower and when you reach that goal set another one if you want to. I suggest you do a ton of stretching too. Flexibility is a lot more useful than big muscles.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I'll be honest, you're not going to get much more than lean muscle doing that many reps daily. Additionally, you might want to eat ALOT more protein. I'd suggest six cans of tuna a day as well as some vitamins. I'd also suggest going to a "meterosexual gym" or whatever and quit being such a frou-frou homophobe. Otherwise I have a feeling you're going to screw this up badly.

Posted by Xeones

I appreciate the advice. However, ive been wightlifting in gyms running on 9 years now and i used to be a thrower in highschool. Ive got plenty of bulk muscle hidden under a generous portion of fatty tissue. My main goal is to look and feel physically in shape. Like i said...i dont care how much i can lift.

As for the protein, i eat a fairly large chicken breast (6-8) ounces and one packet of tuna (7 oz) That should be plenty of protein consumption for one day.

As for calories...you average individual burns 1400 calories per day executing normal bodily functions. Including a decent amount of aerobic activity EVERY day...the most your body should need is 2000 calories. Unless you have a physically demanding job...by no means should you need to consume 2500.

Like i said, ive got plenty of muscle. Im not trying to brag, and it shouldn't be taken that way because in all honesty it isnt that much, but i bench 240 and can squat 365...but it has been 2 and half years since ive spent any lengthy amount of time in one of those 'metrosexual' gyms.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I figure I'm good until my metabolism starts deciding to be a total prick. Until then, no exercise for this guy. Just as long as I'm looking awwight on the outside, couldn't give a **** about the inside.

So kudos to you for doing something I'd never care to do.

Posted by Xeones

yeah, thats about how i felt until 16 when my metabolism slowed down, either that or i was eating way too much...probably the later.

I really didnt care about my insides until a few weeks ago, i threw up blood from what i imagine is alcohol abuse...which was no bueno.

Oh, well at least I don't drink or anything like that.

Posted by Xeones

Yeah, well neither do i...at least not nearly as much. I average a few beers a week now...used to be a few cases a week. Oddly enough though...my friends who drink considereably more alcohol more frequently than i do...dont really have any noticeable problems. i hope cirrhosis comes to bite them in the *** in decade or two.

Some people can just handle it better and there's no noticeable long-term effects (until a lot later in life.) Others like yourself, not so much.

Posted by Xeones

True

Well, i did 50 tire flips this morning. I was hoping to do more, but it seems that a single banana doesn't really provide the correct amount of energy required to accomplish such a task.

Posted by Xeones

Just as photgraphic evidence so you people dont think that im blowing smoke out my ***, here is a picture of tonights kettlebell workout. Do your best to ignore the haggard farmers tan...and i apologize in advance to those few of you who have dial up.

[IMG]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f386/virkokka/CIMG1307.jpg[/IMG]

Hahaha, ha... the expression. Love it.

Posted by Xeones

haha, yeah...it is pretty intense now that i look at it.

Posted by Omni

How much does that thing weigh?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Oh man, I gotta get one of those arm-pouches for my mp3 player.

Posted by Xeones

Quoting Omni: How much does that thing weigh?

20 kilos...so roughly 45 lbs i guess, but its not really balanced so it feels much heavier than say a 45lb plate at your local gym feels.

Quoting The X: Oh man, I gotta get one of those arm-pouches for my mp3 player.

They are very nice...cheap too...only like 6 bucks i think.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

I was once a spartan

Good times

Posted by Xeones

Pictures from flipping tire this morning...I tore a pretty burly chunk of skin off my left hand ring finger...ill post a picture later because im too lazy to get up and put my memory card back in my camera.

[IMG]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f386/virkokka/CIMG1314.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f386/virkokka/CIMG1316.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

That actually looks like a kinda fun exercise.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

where do you get tires like that?

internet?

Quoted post: That actually looks like a kinda fun exercise.

No it doesn't.

Posted by Xeones

its actually my favorite exercise...if there is such a thing.

I got it from this tire place that is like 20 minutes north on this highway that runs through town.....10 bucks.

Posted by Xeones

just an update if anyone cares...i did 100 flips yesterday, wasnt that hard.

Posted by Omni

Did you lose your love handles yet?

Posted by Slade

From those pics it looked like you should squat down a little lower. But I can't really tell from two frames if you're using your back too much.

Also, get a bigger tire.

Posted by Xeones

Quoting Omni: Did you lose your love handles yet?

Getting there, im down 15 lbs so far.

Quoting Slade: From those pics it looked like you should squat down a little lower. But I can't really tell from two frames if you're using your back too much.

Also, get a bigger tire.

Yeah, i could probably squat lower...but it doesnt hurt my back so maybe i'm alright.

Also, the tire is pretty heavy as it is...my friend and i cant pick it up, so i imagine it weighs at least 500 lbs, but who knows.

Posted by Admiral Anthrax

Good job on the loss. Total weight loss here is 90 lbs so far (285 at my highest, 195 now, 6'1").

Aside from fast positive, slow negative (IE lower yourself slowly on pushups, then raise yourself up quickly), eat more.

Posted by Xeones

yeah, i have been eating a little more...partly because my metabolism has increased, and partly because i had friends in town the past couple weeks so ive been cheating a bit.

Posted by Dexter

You seem determined and seemingly skillful. You should become part of the survival team. No doubt your skills could be put to use in the reestablishment project. Your own motivation would be an inspiration to the rest of the team, as well.