Emulation on the DS?

Posted by maian

Alright, so my friend came to school today with his PSP, right? It had a SNES emulator. I proceeded to play Super Mario World. Immediately after, I was like "Do want :(", but I don't want to buy a PSP right now. Is there anyway emulation can be incorporated into a DS? Even if I have to buy some card or something?

Posted by Arcadios

There's this product called the R4 that allows you to play certain emulators on your DS. I've been meaning to get one but keep pushing it off. :(

http://www.r4ds.com/r4.htm

Look around youtube for some demonstrations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJIFnLNu3m4

Posted by maian

Hmm. So, what kind of games can it play? How would it work? How much could it hold? I'm finding trouble finding info on it. :X

Posted by Arcadios

-I'm sure it can play NES and SNES games without a problem but I heard that the Genesis games have no sound so I don't know if they fixed that problem yet.

-If you buy the R4 it comes with a Micro SD Card reader which you just plug into your computer. Drag and drop the games you want on to. Then put the micro card into the R4 and just play it on your DS.

-The amount it can hold all depends on how much memory your micro SD card has. The games all depend on how big it is like Super Mario All Stars + World is around 3 MB.

Hope it helps.

Posted by maian

And how much does it cost? :X They uh, don't have a price.

Posted by Arcadios

Around $50 to $60.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000OM58OM/ref=dp_olp_2/103-2126544-5275042?ie=UTF8&qid=1189485404&sr=8-1

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Doesn't Klarth have one? Maybe ask him.

Posted by Klarth

netman has one.

These things are the ****. Run DS roms, homebrew, emulators, etc. Emulation on the DS is still fairly pathetic, though. Most SNES games have severe issues - e.g., immense slowdown in Chrono Trigger battles, no text in Earthbound. Genesis/Megadrive games are fine if I recall, so are NES roms.

I mainly use mine for piracy, considering that DS homebrew really doesn't hold a candle to the PSP scene.

Posted by Zelda_Guy

I have one! Only mines an M3 DS. They are really good! I suggest you get one!

Posted by Klarth

The M3 is just an OEM licensed version of the R4.

Posted by maian

So, how much memory is on it? :X

Posted by Klarth

None. It uses MicroSD cards. There's a basic BIOS on the flashcart itself, but firmware is read from a directory on the memory card. Maximum capacity is 4GB.

Posted by Slade

I have sort of a follow-up question to maian's.

Here's the deal: I'm positive I'm going to get an R4 card, but I'm wondering which slot-2 flash cart would be the best to use in conjunction with the R4. Being shorter so it doesn't stick out of the Lite is a plus. All I really want to do is use it to run roms.

Posted by wiifreak

maian don't care about that stuff buy from virtual consoles or buy SNES on the street market.or buy SNES-TO-DUAL-SCREEN EMULATOR AND JUST DOWNDLOAD GAMES IT'S ALMOST FREE.IT COST ABOUT100KMN

Posted by AndyDS

The advantages of Homebrew are very nice. You will need external hardware like the R4DS like said above. Keep in mind that the R4DS is not the only one, just one of the best. The M3 Simply is also very good for this.
Now, don't think that by just having the Hardware you will be able to play those NES/SNES games right away, you will need to instal the proper homebrew emulators in the your flashcart which are in *.NDS format.