Check if your PS1 and PS2 titles are supported by the PS3

Posted by Big Boss

Sony has set up [url="http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus"]a simple-to-use site[/url] for checking if a specific PS1 or PS2 title has any issues with either the 60GB PS3, which includes the PS2 Emotion Engine chip, or the 80GB PS3, which allows backwards compatibility through software emulation.

This thread should probably be a sticky for easy access by PS3 owners looking to buy or play older-gen games on Sony's Blu-ray console.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Yeah, there's no mod in here so you'll have to sticky it. Surprised this hasn't been made earlier. It's also nice that the site gives a description for the more major problems in compatible games.

Posted by The Hate

Sony does something good for a change.

Posted by icebreather1

thats weird, I'm gonna have to go heck mine out.

although i did hear something about the Ps3 not being able to play some Ps2 games. is that true or not?

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting icebreather1: although i did hear something about the Ps3 not being able to play some Ps2 games. is that true or not?

The 60GB PS3s are able to play most PS1 and PS2 games without any issues, and if any issues arise Sony usually fixes them with a firmware update. The reason most PS2 games work on these PS3s is because these systems have the Emotion Engine chip from the PS2.

However, the new 80GB PS3 does NOT have the PS2 Emotion Engine chip, which means Sony and game developers have to use software emulation to make games playable on the system. Naturally, this means that fewer PS2 games will be compatible on 80GB systems than those on the 60GB ones, because companies have to go out of their way to make their PS2 games compatible on the new PS3s. Luckily, some fixes actually allow multiple games to become compatible, so there will be more PS2 games playable on the 80GB PS3s than you might think.

Posted by icebreather1

so basically in order to play your ps2 games on your ps3 you need to spend the extra money and get the one with more memory?

Posted by Fate

No, that means if you really care for backwards compatibility you stick with the cheaper 60GB one.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting icebreather1: so basically in order to play your ps2 games on your ps3 you need to spend the extra money and get the one with more memory?

Actually, it's quite the opposite. The more expensive model (80GB) DOES NOT have the chip, so fewer PS2 games will be compatible with that PS3. You also don't have much time to choose. Sony has discontinued the 60GB model (the one with the PS2 chip), and these are selling fast thanks to the $100 price cut (from $599.99 to $499.99). The 80GB model will become the standard PS3 available.

Posted by S

Something about this just screams "Stupid".

Posted by Fate

Backwards compatibility isn't that important and it saves Sony money. Chances are if people are buying a PS3, they want to play PS3 games or watch Blu-Ray discs. If anything, it's smart.

Posted by Big Boss

[QUOTE=S