The older NES carts

Posted by Roth

How is this possible? I've played some really cool games with great graphics, play control, music, etc... Of course, if no one can tell, I'm a huge 8-bit NES fan. I've branched out and played games on all of the newer systems and thought they kicked ***! Now, I've been recently finding myself playing some REALLY old NES games... and enjoying them, even if I didn't really like them before! I've been playing games such as Donkey Kong, DK Jr., Joust, and even Popeye! I have no clue why I didn't enjoy them before, but I love playing them now. You guys think this is because they're fun games that I had missed out on before, or am I really digging crappy games now?

Posted by bazariah

i think it's more a case that as you get older you can realy appreciate the earlier games, when i was 11 or so there were certain nes games i didnt want to play because they looked crusty, but when i became a full-on collecter i found them to be most pleasing in the way they played... it basically comes down to the old addage "never judge a book by it's cover"

Posted by Dexter

It is amazing. I find myself wanting to buy old NES games instead of newer Game Cube games. I definitely spend more time playing my NES than I do with any of my newer systems, which does include X Box, Game Cube and the Playstation 2. I look forward to finding some of the older games instead of looking forward to future Zelda games. I adore beating my NES games. The games can be so difficult, giving me an enjoyable challenge.

There are a few games that I didn't care much for at first but gradually started to them more. I remember I had some trouble with Marble Madness when my sisters first got it many years ago, but later on I found it very satisfying to play, attempting to beat my own scores over and over again and playing with a partner was great.

Posted by Crazy K

I really have not been collecting NES games anymore. Not since the store that sold em up here was closed down (a game only costed about 2 to 3 bucks.) If I could buy some I would spend them on NES games instead of PS2 games.

There might be some stores that sell em up down here, But I can only go on Fridays when my dad goes shopping and he never stops at a lot of different places.

Posted by Landon

I've said it before, i'll say it again.
The wave of NES collecting is just at it's infant stages.
As it stands, there are still more NES cartridges out there than there are avid collectors, so they are still reasonablly priced.
But day by day, as people rediscover these great old games and start appreciating all things "retro" as every generation of people do at 25-35 years old, these things are destined to really take off.
I don't think they will be like baseball cards were here in the US during the late 1980's and early 1990's reaching stratospheric prices for certain rarities- no one is going to buy a house with their childhood NES collection (unless it is one helluva NES collection )- but I am very confident that we will see the day when there are more people buying many different NES titles than there are selling them, and the NES games you can buy today for $3-$5 very well may be $30-$50.

Unlike with other things, though, there seems to be a definite penchant for familliarity over rarity, as games "everyone played as a kid" tend to have more bidding competition than, say, a game that is a real rarity but due to it's obscurity, there isn't a large body of people who every played it.

Posted by William

You should always appreciate the finer things in life. In this case, it's the "retro" systems.

Personally, I find the NES to be more enjoyable than most of the newer systems that have came out recently. It's kind of odd though, because I can play most NES games that I like, multiple times, and still want to play them more, yet for the newer systems and games, I can barely even play through the game once. Twice if I liked it a lot.