What's the future of Metroid?

Posted by maian

So, Metroid Prime is done. How sad. Although I haven't beat it, what's going to be the future of Metroid? Will Retro Studios handle it? Will it be behind the visor? Third person? Will it even happen?

I don't know. Nothing can really be said, save for speculation. But what would you guys want from a post-Prime Metroid game?

Posted by Zeta

gb2 sidescrollan exploration plox.

Posted by Speedfreak

Like how platforming filled in the gaps in Super Metroid I foresee that FPSing will fill in the gaps in these new 3D Metroids. Retro will more than likely handle it, but they're doing something else after Prime 3 Corruption.

Posted by Ant

Not to uh, burst in with spoilers or anything, but whoever saw the end of MP:3 at 100% know [spoiler] what the hell the deal was with that ship that followed samus at the very end?[/spoiler] So I think they could lead MP3 into Metroid 2, since the prime series takes place after one but before two.

Posted by Zeta

[spoiler]That was Sylux's ship[/spoiler]. holy **** I don't have the game and I've seen the 100% ending jesus christ.

Posted by maian

I'm not talking storyline wise. If they want to make a new Metroid, I'm sure they will have no problem fitting it in. I'm talking about a gameplay, and how different it'll be from Prime if it comes out.

Posted by Ant

Quoting Zeta: [spoiler]spoilers[/spoiler]. holy **** I don't have the game and I've seen the 100% ending jesus christ.

Spoilers:[spoiler]granted he had a vendetta against her(or so I've heard) and hunters comes sometime after 2 yes?[/spoiler]

AS FOR THE GAMEPLAY. I think they'll maybe try something more along the lines of a typical 3rd person platformer adventure with flares of it's 2d past at the same time. :$

Posted by muffla

can sombody please put allof the metroid games in order for me? or just post a link, i feel like playing them all in order

Posted by maian

Metroid
Metroid Prime
Echoes
Corruption
Metroid II
Super Metroid
Metroid Fusion

Posted by Drewboy64

^you forgot MP hunters :p

Anyway, I think it'd be cool to continue Metroid in Prime style. Retro does it so well.

I really hope Retro makes an original action FPS after metroid, though.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

I've heard tales of a "Metroid Dread" on the DS around the internets. The project was put on hold for awhile, but now that the Prime trilogy is done, Nintendo is rumored to have begun work on it again.

Posted by Ant

Quoting Prince Shondronai: I've heard tales of a "Metroid Dread" on the DS around the internets. The project was put on hold for awhile, but now that the Prime trilogy is done, Nintendo is rumored to have begun work on it again.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/nintendo/nintendo-is-a-metroid-dread-tease-297009.php

Posted by Prince Shondronai

"Nintendo is not making the 2D Metroid at this time."

???

Posted by maian

Heh, I was about to post that quote. I was wondering if they just threw that in for fun.

Nonetheless it'd be cool. :(

Posted by WillisGreeny

"Good grief" said Charlie Brown. I'm disliking you, Nintendo. Stop acting like the partner of an abusive relationship. It's not satisfying my Metroid needs by just making 3D games unless you also make an oldschool platform too.

Posted by Colonel

I heard something about a "Metriod Dread." There is actually a "hint" about it in Corruption. When you scan something in particular it says " Project "dread" seems to appear nearly complete."

Youtube it and see.

Posted by maian

Yeah. I found that. But Ant's link debunks that theory. :)

Posted by Colonel

lol. I missed the post that Prince made. My bad.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Atleast their's hope in the article. Atleast they didn't say they were completely scrapping it, only that they stoped working on it at the moment. I always wondered how Super Metroid remade in 3D would be like? I would be in favor of the original being better ofcourse, but it would still be pretty cool.

Posted by Drewboy64

^Yeah, I've always wanted to see it transitioned into 3d, just cause it'd be interesting.

It'd be very cool if they made a new 2d metroid and had some direct references to the MP series.

Man, that dread scan is so cool.

Posted by Fred333

I would have to say that they might introduce a new character and some co-op gaming.

Posted by Slade

When I read the title of this thread I thought, "hmm probably going to be a DS release." I haven't looked up a single thing on new Metroids coming out or even played any of the Prime series at all, but I really thought it would be a 2D DS game. guess not :(

Posted by varrybarry

I agree a 2d version would be really cool.