Posted by Speedfreak

No, honestly, achievements are stupid. I've been saying this since the day I heard about them. Playing a game to 100% completion to earn concept art (I personally love looking at concept art) makes a heck of a lot more sense than some crappy post-its telling you what you did.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[IMG]http://www.animationtrip.com/store/features/books/images/conceptart/im_step.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://l.yimg.com/download2.games.yahoo.com/games/buzz2/content/p/3/462423/928517_20060509_screen004.jpg[/IMG]

... Nothing that can't be found on Google.

Achievements aren't rewards, anyway. They're more ways of saying 'hey, ever thought of doing this?'. In games like Crackdown and Guitar Hero II, they had me doing things I otherwise wouldn't have thought of.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Achievements over concept art any day of the week. Typically whenever I unlock stuff like concept art or pages out of a comic book or other collectibles I just ignore them. Half the time I have no idea what I did to even get them.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=The X;738056]
... Nothing that can't be found on Google.

Achievements aren't rewards, anyway. They're more ways of saying 'hey, ever thought of doing this?'. In games like Crackdown and Guitar Hero II, they had me doing things I otherwise wouldn't have thought of.

You can't find the Metroid Prime 1 or 2 concept art anywhere, not the entire set. If they weren't in the game in the first place they wouldn't even be on the internet as very few were shown as promotional pieces and no art books were released with the game. Honestly, I've tried. Those two pieces of concept art are pretty awful, by the way. I like to look at stuff like this:

[IMG]http://medialib.computerandvideogames.com/screens/screenshot_133672.jpg[/IMG]

I don't care for pointlessly jumping through hoops doing things I wouldn't normally want to do. When it comes to videogames if there's no reward available then there's no effort from me, doing pointless crap is more often than not very unrewarding. An insight into the game's development and seeing the artist's original visions in a totally unrestrained form is very rewarding for me.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Speedfreak]When it comes to videogames if there's no reward available then there's no effort from me

You could say that about anything you do in a game. Personally, I can take a lot of reward out of doing things for achievements, even if I don't get bunch of generic sketches. Climbing the highest tower in Crackdown and scoping the view was an awesome feeling, and trying to achieve five stars on every song in Guitar Hero led me to discover a whole bunch of songs I'd have ignored if they hadn't been part of the achievement. I can't see how a bunch of concept art is superior to an entire system of getting more out of games.

SORRY METROID FANS THIS THREAD IS NOW ABOUT XBOX AGAIN SORRY

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=The X;738191]You could say that about anything you do in a game. Personally, I can take a lot of reward out of doing things for achievements, even if I don't get bunch of generic sketches. Climbing the highest tower in Crackdown and scoping the view was an awesome feeling, and trying to achieve five stars on every song in Guitar Hero led me to discover a whole bunch of songs I'd have ignored if they hadn't been part of the achievement. I can't see how a bunch of concept art is superior to an entire system of getting more out of games.

SORRY METROID FANS THIS THREAD IS NOW ABOUT XBOX AGAIN SORRY

Oh come on, generic?

Climbing to the highest place in a video game is something I would actually do without an e-penis score being involved. Some shite little note with a patronising score attached would actually cheapen it. Most of the rest I couldn't give a damn about. I don't need a new fangled system to get the most out of my games, I had a fucking Nintendo 64. Droughts + expensive games + low pocket money sort of taught me the way.

Posted by Fate

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Achievements over concept art any day of the week.

Ditto. I like it when they're combined with Achievements, like in Condemned.

The X is right. If you can find it on Google there's really no reward, is there?

Posted by WillisGreeny

unlocking fan art has never been a big incentive to me for doing random crap tha I normally wouldn't do. If there isn't a special item or cutscene that gets unlocked, then I usually skip or not do it. I guess I need e-penis score points...

I don't even collect them for the e-penis factor. Not sure what it is, but it works and I try to get as many as I can, even though if it was with concept art I wouldn't bother. Take The Darkness for example. Many achievements were unlocked at the same time as concept art and pages of comics... yet, I didn't give a **** about the art. I just wanted to collect achievements.

Posted by Fate

And there are a lot of people who dig the system of Achievements. It's not about the size of our ego, it's about the lengths we go through to play a game for all it's worth. We have a ****ing image when it comes to 360 gaming. It's incredibly awesome and I think 360 gamers who don't go for Achievements are in the minority.

Vast minority from what I've seen.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: X: Speedy thinks Wii online is the best online out there.

What?

I guess I should follow up by saying something just as logical: "Hey, the PS3 is the system to buy. It offers the best value for your money, especially with its current library of great, exclusive next-gen games."

And for the record, concept art has always and will always be the cheapest, crappiest "reward" in games (along with gameplay-non-affecting costumes). I thought it was cheap as a gamer, and now I think it's even cheaper as a developer with how much of it I see. Of course, there will always be concept art to A. Justify the need to do something in game and B. To let the concept artists, who usually just do concept art for others to make the actual game models, have their actual work show up in the game in some form (Which means we'll likely add it to our game...). The last two Mortal Kombat games are the guiltiest parties of this. You will never find, EVER, a game that rewards you with a greater number of concept art, videos and all kinds of behind-the-scenes crap than the MK games. Ask anyone that has had to unlock the 26x26 graveyard filled with goodies in MK Deception.

Then again, I've always preferred Achievements. It is no secret of man's (and woman's) age-old desire for self-expression and need to display their accomplishments. Microsoft merely tapped into an obvious gamer want that had, until then, generally been poorly satisfied by games.

Of course, nothing beats an actual gameplay reward, and for that MGS and Resident Evil will have my eternal praise. Then again, an achievement attached to this gameplay reward is like icing on a "Oh My *** Tasty" cake.

[/rant]

Quoted post: What?

Can't remember the thread, but it's out there.

Quoted post: Of course, nothing beats an actual gameplay reward, and for that MGS and Resident Evil will have my eternal praise. Then again, an achievement attached to this gameplay reward is like icing on a "Oh My *** Tasty" cake.

Agreed. When I can go back and have unlimited ammo or be invisible due to something I unlocked that's the best reward. Short of that, I'd rather achievements. Plus, it's just nice to be able to compare your achievements with others, simply for progress reasons.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Big Boss;738296][FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=yellowgreen]What?[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=yellowgreen]
[/COLOR][/FONT]I don't know. He's either completely making s[COLOR=lightgreen]h[/COLOR]it up or he's taking something I said that he never understood in the first place completely out of context.
[FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=yellowgreen]
[/COLOR][/FONT][quote=Big Boss;738296][FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=yellowgreen] Then again, I've always preferred Achievements. It is no secret of man's (and woman's) age-old desire for self-expression and need to display their accomplishments. Microsoft merely tapped into an obvious gamer want that had, until then, generally been poorly satisfied by games.
[/COLOR][/FONT]
Not all of us are so attention-starved. Some of us are grounded in reality enough to know that the vast majority of the stuff you can do in videogames is f[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]cking easy and just takes time, which if anything is proof of how insanely bored you are. I for one know exactly how many people give a s[COLOR=lightgreen]h[/COLOR]it about how long it'll take me to rack up 20 headshots in Halo 3: zero.

Anything truly worthy of attention like, I don't know, actually completing Ikaruga would make sense. But the majority of them are completely uninteresting.

I don't know, maybe you enjoy being awarded "Good Effort" stickers like some special needs kid in kindergarten. But when I put effort into a game I like when it realises "Hey, you're obviously really into this game, wanna check out some behind-the-scenes stuff?".

For the record I didn't even know concept art was unlockable in the Prime games, I beat the game on hard because I actually wanted to. They weren't dangling them on a f[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]cking string trying to coax me into doing something I didn't want to do. Achievements are just that, you already know they're there, you're told of a pointless reward before doing something you wouldn't even do in the first d[COLOR=lightgreen]a[/COLOR]mn place. Who the f[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]ck would be proud of that?

[/rant]

Posted by S

Speedy, your gripe is basically the use of Achievements, their application. Not so much the core of the system itself. If they had more meaningful achievements, you wouldn't be agitated by it, in other words, no? In a way, it's directly similar to the people that pick at the Wii for its new remote and how Third-party developers are having a hard time adjusting to it, so their games are clunky. The achievement system is clunky, but it could shape up easily as time progresses; the same goes for the Wii remote.

Posted by Speedfreak

It's more the gamerscore and the amount of achievements in each game. The concept that every game is equal in difficulty and should have an equal amount of points is stupid.

A message telling your friends you completed a game is fair enough. But a message that tells your friends you rolled into every tree in Zelda? Honestly, who actually cares? A scoring system that actually compiles all this pointless data? Asinine.

I see what you're getting at with the Wiimote comparison, but it's not entirely accurate. If a developer can't integrate every feature of the Wii into their game they can just drop it. But every 360 game has to have achievements. I don't see that situation getting better.

Posted by Dexter

I enjoy achievements. It brings me back to games for some extra activities, which adds great replay value. I probably would have never touched Dead Rising again after I defeated it unless there were those extra achievements to earn, which I had a pleasure getting.

Quoted post: But a message that tells your friends you rolled into every tree in Zelda? Honestly, who actually cares?

Many people apparently. It's a community thing, dude. It's fun to work for achievements with your friends. Gears is a good example of this. I ended up playing the co-op campaign countless times just to help my friends get the achievements and it was really fun every time. I wouldn't have likely done it otherwise. Same thing in GRAW2. Me and a bunch of friends tried for a week to get this hour long defence achievement and that was a *****. However, it turned out to be the most fun I've had on any game and I wouldn't've even attempted it without the incentive of an achievement.

That's why the idea is so successful and that's why people care about rolling into every tree in hyrule field. It's also why you're seeing more and more co-op modes because people want to roll into trees with their friends. It's a community thing and really not much more.

Posted by Fate

I'm still impressed with the "Seriously..." Achievement in Gears. Seriously, 10,000 kills? Christ. Comparing important stats like that is cool. :cool:

Posted by muffla

i like achievemnents because after youve beaten the normal storyline, you still have a reason to beat it. its not rly the epenis factor that keeps me going, its just that i wanna be able to say that i compleatly beat that game in all aspects. However i do wish they would have more contest (with better results) like the old spice one a coupla monts back.

Quoted post: I'm still impressed with the "Seriously..." Achievement in Gears. Seriously, 10,000 kills? Christ. Comparing important stats like that is cool.

It's less impressive when you realise the achievement is glitched and you can get it anywhere from 5,000 kills to 15,000. Also, I like it when achievements are tied to gamer pictures. I just wish it would tell you that "hey, you unlocked this picture you can use now."

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

That only happened to me once, in Table Tennis. What other games have it?

Rainbow, GRAW2, Dead Rising I think... and I'm not sure what else.

Posted by Kit

Outpost Kaloki X and Cloning Clyde.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Speedfreak: Not all of us are so attention-starved. Some of us are grounded in reality enough to know that the vast majority of the stuff you can do in videogames is f[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]cking easy and just takes time, which if anything is proof of how insanely bored you are. I for one know exactly how many people give a s[COLOR=lightgreen]h[/COLOR]it about how long it'll take me to rack up 20 headshots in Halo 3: zero.

You're oversimplifying what the Achievement system does for gamers.

They're there for the same reason people like making a profile on MySpace, or posting on forums. Like the rest of us apparently "not grounded in reality," you like to post in threads like, "What's your favorite game" or "What's your favorite console" or "What game are you buying this year?" because you want other people to know what you think. You want other people to know what games you like, and how much you like them. You want people to know that, oh, you were one of the few that appreciated or even knew about Terranigma on the SNES (“forget that popular, mainstream, overrated Final Fantasy!!”), or that you prefer old school SNES RPGs to the newer fair, or whatever else you'd like to share about yourself.

Achievements cater to the same type of self-expression.

If you're a completist, you would like other people to go to your profile and see that you've completed all the achievements of nearly every game you've played. It may not be the REASON you do it, but it adds extra purpose to your quest of completing every game you ever play. And yes, it can be the only reason when the achievement is boring to get, but that just shows the type of gamer you are: again, a completist (or maybe you like the game a lot?). On the other hand, someone can tell the opposite about you. People can see that you've played many games, but have only the achievements obtained from beating the main quest (What I've sort of turned into), or playing just a few matches online. They can tell you like to play as many games as possible without finding the extras in it, because you don not want to miss the other games available.

If you like nothing but shooters, someone can look at your profile and determine that by the number of shooting games you've played and the amount of achievements you've completed compared to the games from other genres you've played.

Now imagine if a system like that would be on the Wii. Imagine what people could find out about you. They could look at your profile and appreciate the fact that you aren't a new gamer. They can see that you're also an old school gamer when they see that you've unlocked the multiple endings in Chrono Trigger, beaten every track in F-Zero or logged in 200+ hours just playing Super Metroid over and over. It also says something about your tastes, which says a lot more about the games you really like more than any number of sentences can express in a message board.

You can get a very anticipated game, like Super Mario Galaxy, and notice that almost your entire friends list is also playing SMG. It gives you a sense of community unprecedented in console gaming. I know I felt extra pleased about my purchase, no matter how good I knew the game was, when almost my entire friends page was filled with people playing BioShock the day I bought it. It's about the community and the want to be a part of it, regardless of what form that self-expression that is in.

And don't say that you don't like the attention. You seek it, just like everyone else. You didn't skip posting on a relatively old thread on our "Greatest Gaming Accomplishments" because "you don't care." You like the attention just like everyone, and you want people to know about you, even if it is on a message board filled with faceless members. In this case, you like people to know what you know and like about games. Heck, it was no accident that people found out you were working at EA. Some people here even made fun of it because you were making it so obvious about your desire for people here to know about it. You want people to know you've made it there, especially since it's implied that many here (as a lot of gamers do) would like to work in games in whatever form they can.

So, Achievements achieve that purpose (pun intended), and if Nintendo can adopt that concept in their own Ninty way, and implement it not only in Wii games, but also in VC titles, it would be amazing. People can really pin you down for what kind of gamer you are, or even were when younger, if they can see the games you play and your accomplishments in them by checking out your Xbox Live, PSN (with its trophies at Home) and (wishfully) Wii Profile. It would really be the coolest thing, and I can't see a gamer not liking that after the possibility is presented to them.

And the point system, frankly, is just that. Other than the uberhardcore that buys every game just to get all the Achievements and get the highest gamer score in all of Xbox Live, most of us only care about our gamer score because it represents the accomplishments we've made, more than a number we want to compare with a bunch of unknown gamers. It's just like Trophies will be when Sony rolls out Home. They're just a proxy for the work done playing a game.

Sure, there are kinks to be fixed, but that's not from Microsoft's end. Developers have to think about what accomplishments are worth turning to Achievements, although some have been very creative. Saints Row will give you an Achievement worth 0 points if you turn on any cheat in the game, called "Cheater" or something, and that is just sweet.

Of course, if Nintendo decides to do something like that, I'm sure you'll be on board anyway. :)

Posted by Speedfreak

I understand and agree with a lot of what you're saying. You made a great post but that last comment just makes you look like a ****ing moron. Not only is it an incorrect assumption about me, but it's incorrent in of itself. Nintendo does their own form of achievements, and I couldn't care less.

Why would I want a profile detailing my game playing habits when all it will lead to is people, despite being intelligent and mature as yourself, assuming I'm a fanboy?

Quoted post: Why would I want a profile detailing my game playing habits when all it will lead to is people, despite being intelligent and mature as yourself, assuming I'm a fanboy?

You could play Halo exclusively and I'll still think you're a fanboy based on the comments you make on this forum. But hey, at least I'll know you play something other than a Nintendo game =3

But seriously, why wouldn't you want a profile? What's the harm? It's fun to look at and compare with friends.

Posted by Speedfreak

I don't see the appeal of them at all. I'd rather have something tangible as a reward than a message that tells everyone what I did. What started this whole ridiculous arguement was the fact that I said it was cool that Metroid had both, both being obviously better than just the one. Apparantly that opinion isn't good enough for the fanboys around here.

lol?

And concept art isn't tangible. It's just as worthless as achievements. Actually, it's worse. And that was also originally part of this argument. And thus, we come full circle.

Posted by Speedfreak

Not really. I prefer concept art to achievements. There is nothing to argue about there, it's my preference. Fanboys got ****ed off that I don't like the system Microsoft put together and started trying to prove that they are better. It just goes to show how blindly they'll defend Microsoft because the original topic in question, Metroid, has both. I just care about the concept art.

And how is it not tangible? It's a real thing, that's what tangible means.

Concept art isn't anymore real or tangible than virtual points. Plus, the way Metroid has "achievements" set up is pretty poor. In fact, I barely even realised what you were talking about at first. It's really not a case of defending the system as wondering why you're so against it. I mean, the first sentence in this thread is "achievements are stupid."

Posted by Speedfreak

Um. Concept art is something real drawn by an actual person. In it's original form it's an actual physical thing. I don't understand why that isn't real. Virtual points that don't hold any meaning and aren't useful for anything don't seem a decent reward to me.

If you remember, I just said I prefer concept art to achievements. You guys had a problem with that and demanded an explanation, I said I just think they're stupid as a reward. Isn't that enough?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Hey check it out guys, my girlfriend just showed me some of her concept sketches for a dress she's working on at art school! It's an actual physical thing! Who cares about accomplishing new things, we have sketches a person made! Using real pencils and paper!

Anyone can make concept art. It's not fun or rewarding to go through piles of sketches of what an area in a game could have looked like.

Quoted post: Um. Concept art is something real drawn by an actual person. In it's original form it's an actual physical thing. I don't understand why that isn't real. Virtual points that don't hold any meaning and aren't useful for anything don't seem a decent reward to me.

Um. Achievements are awards created by an actual person to serve the same purpose except they seem to hold more meaning and be more popular with gamers these days than concept art. My point is, the concept art you unlock isn't physical nor is it tangible. It's still a virtual reward and nothing more. It really really isn't that useful and it isn't a decent reward. It's a sketch. A sketch the artists decided not to use for one reason or another. No thanks.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;739515]Um. Achievements are awards created by an actual person to serve the same purpose except they seem to hold more meaning and be more popular with gamers these days than concept art. My point is, the concept art you unlock isn't physical nor is it tangible. It's still a virtual reward and nothing more. It really really isn't that useful and it isn't a decent reward. It's a sketch. A sketch the artists decided not to use for one reason or another. No thanks.

I like looking at pretty pictures rather than boosting a meaningless number. Do I really have to keep justifying this?

Posted by Fate

I dunno, Speedy, as it's been said before, it's not even really about the number because some games are really easy to score in. It's mostly about comparing games and stuff. I can understand your love for concept art and other guts-like game content, just like I'm sure you can understand the appeal for others when it comes to Achievements.

Quoted post: I like looking at pretty pictures rather than boosting a meaningless number. Do I really have to keep justifying this?

yes because the actual number has very little to do with it

Posted by S

Quoting The X: Hey check it out guys, my girlfriend just showed me some of her concept sketches for a dress she's working on at art school! It's an actual physical thing! Who cares about accomplishing new things, we have sketches a person made! Using real pencils and paper!

Anyone can make concept art. It's not fun or rewarding to go through piles of sketches of what an area in a game could have looked like.

Both Speedy's and the above argument sound like personal problems. You don't like it? Call it taste and only share it when asked or when relevant.

It's not a problem. I enjoy arguing about opinions. Especially when one is hideously wrong, like Speedy's.

Posted by S

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: It's not a problem. I enjoy arguing about opinions. Especially when one is hideously wrong, like Speedy's.

Yeah, I get that. That's fine but when it comes to comparing the value of things, it is personal and there really is no wrong or right. Concept art? I love the concept, probably more so because I, personally, have interest in the subject. Just because someone else doesn't like it, doesn't make it any less valuable.

Uh, yeah, I think both Speedy and I realise that, thanks. But this is a games forum. We're discussing things game related. In which cares nearly everything comes down to personal taste and opinions.

Posted by S

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Uh, yeah, I think both Speedy and I realise that, thanks. But this is a games forum. We're discussing things game related. In which cares nearly everything comes down to personal taste and opinions.

Notice I didn't say your name.

Notice Speedy and I are the main people discussing this? drr drr drr

Posted by S

Learn to read then, buddy.

You responded to my post. You said there's no right or wrong when I said speedy was wrong. I said I know. You said you didn't say my name which means it wasn't directed towards me, which it was because it was in response to my post whether you say "vamp" or not.

I think I can read.

Posted by S

You're off a post, but whatever you want to believe.

I'm not even talking about X's post. Just from mine in response to yours and from there on.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=S

Posted by Axis

I think achievements are pretty cool. The number 1 reason I like achievements is because it adds replay value to the game. Like someone stated earlier, it makes you do stuff in the game that you probably would have never done before. Yeah, sure the numbers may be completely pointless, but they're fun to get. It shows you what you have accomplished in a game and it's fun to compare what you have with other people. I would also take achievements over concept art almost any day.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Fate;739564][COLOR=skyblue]I dunno, Speedy, as it's been said before, it's not even really about the number because some games are really easy to score in. It's mostly about comparing games and stuff. I can understand your love for concept art and other guts-like game content, just like I'm sure you can understand the appeal for others when it comes to Achievements.[/COLOR]

I totally understand what achievments is supposed to represent, I just don't think it does it properly. I think talking about games the old-fashioned way is a lot more interesting and fun, so I guess I think VGC > Xbox Live achievements?
I also understand why people like how it adds longevity to games, but I personally can't get past the fact that it's basically a cop-out from a game design point of view. It's just so easy to set a simple goal like that with a basic reward. And if there's one thing I can't stand it's those clever but cheap reward systems in games, like levelling up purely for the sake of seeing numbers get bigger. Once I realise that the designer really hasn't done anything clever at all it stops being fun for me.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Speedfreak;740627]I also understand why people like how it adds longevity to games, but I personally can't get past the fact that it's basically a cop-out from a game design point of view. It's just so easy to set a simple goal like that with a basic reward. And if there's one thing I can't stand it's those clever but cheap reward systems in games, like levelling up purely for the sake of seeing numbers get bigger. Once I realise that the designer really hasn't done anything clever at all it stops being fun for me.

Take a look at the Crackdown achievements. It's almost entirely composed of stuff most people wouldn't normally do. Pretty creative - 10G for harpooning 5+ people to your car, for instance. Once I'd finished the main storyline in Crackdown, any revisits to it would have been standard-fair treasure hunts. With achievements, I'm trying to get my SUV on top of a skyscraper so I can attempt a triple-front flip.

... Shame my 360 has mauled the disc beyond recognition, though. :(

And even all of that I would've never really bothered with it unless Willeth and I worked on them together.

Posted by Speedfreak

That's why it doesn't appeal to me, I wouldn't normally do it. To me it's like bananas being packaged with sweetener to make eating the peel more enjoyable. I'd rather just have another fruit, or maybe pictures of the banana as a seed.

Except it was ****ing fun to get them :rolleyes:

Seriously, 1) Crackdown is meant to be played with two people. 2) How would I have thought of getting over 100 explosions in a short amount of time? I wouldn't've so I would've never done it originally. Turns out, the process of doing it, however, with a friend, was an enjoyable experience.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;740660]2) How would I have thought of getting over 100 explosions in a short amount of time? I wouldn't've so I would've never done it originally.

I done it on my own. Took at least six tons of barrels, but I set off a beautiful chain reaction. :cool:

I don't understand Speedfreak - you don't want to do unusual things in games, but you preach innovation and new ideas? Achievements are purely optional, and I'm sure if they'd been around when I was a kid who could only afford a single game every three or four months, I'd have been hella less bored.

*cough*xbox*cough*

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=The X;740672]I done it on my own. Took at least six tons of barrels, but I set off a beautiful chain reaction. :cool:

I don't understand Speedfreak - you don't want to do unusual things in games, but you preach innovation and new ideas? Achievements are purely optional, and I'm sure if they'd been around when I was a kid who could only afford a single game every three or four months, I'd have been hella less bored.

What does my liking innovation have to do with my not liking of messing around with games I don't want to mess around with?

But let's say I did do something really bizarre in a game that took a lot of skill and unexpectedly got an achievement for it. It would be sorta cool that the game recognised it, but it would also suck to know that the designers already thought of that and that everyone else was probably going to do it. As far as making games last longer, I really don't have that problem anymore. If there's more enjoyment to be had in a game I'll find it, I don't need a checklist either.

Get it through your heads, achievements just don't fit my playstyle. I'd rather be given a difficult task with extra production details at the end as a reward then a little guide that tells me how I should play my own damn game.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Achievements are optional. You don't have to do them, you know?

Posted by Speedfreak

You say that like I've been saying every game with achievements is a bad game.

You've been saying all achievements are bad though. Though I think this:

Quoted post: What does my liking innovation have to do with my not liking of messing around with games I don't want to mess around with?

is the problem. Every game I've nearly or fully completed I wanted to mess around with and fully complete. Otherwise I only get what I can the first time through or whatever's awarded to me in multiplayer and leave it at that.

Posted by Speedfreak

Why is that a problem?

Sounds like your basing achievements on games you don't even want to "mess around with" which is kinda the point. You're likely not going to care about a game's achievements if, you know, you don't care about the game.