Dimmu Borgir rules

Posted by The Judge

I dunno, hearing Omni go on his/her rant about how "they're not black metalz cuz they went mainstream and they switched to engrish" and "thus they suck."

Well I dunno, guys. Personally, I like them. And I'm pretty sure since I don't know the ins and outs of music like you faggots do, I'm totally wrong, but I personally think that they've got a good grip on the kind of sound they're trying to cultivate, and I really like them, plus I enjoy being able to understand what they say.

While we're on the subject, I really like Slipknot and Korn, as well as System of a Down, and I think Linkin Park is pretty good too.

Know what? I actually like quite a lot of mainstream music and I personally don't think any less of myself for it, though I'm sure you pin-cushion faced long haired music=life non-conformist obscure elitist tuff muffins would say otherwise.

And that's my piece. **** off.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Know what? I actually like quite a lot of mainstream music and I personally don't think any less of myself for it, though I'm sure you pin-cushion faced long haired music=life non-conformist obscure elitist tuff muffins would say otherwise.

And that's my piece. **** off.

ugh. This part made me want to lock this thread. It almost sounds as bad as the kids who listen to obscure artists just to be cool. Except, oddly, the complete reverse. I guess listening to "mainstream" bands is going against-the-grain on VGC?

Anywho, I highly doubt anyone gives a **** what you listen to. Nor should they. I listen to everything from noise to AFI and I'll be the first to say the vast majority of the music I listen to sucks, but that's the great thing about music, it's subjective. You can like DB all you want and the next person can hate them all they want. As long as you don't have someone getting put down personally for liking them it's fine with me. It just so happens that the culture here leans towards obscure artists and if discussion heads down that same path, even better. The internet's one of the few places you'll find a "large" gathering of those who have even heard of whatever obscure band you like let alone able to discuss them.

At least, that's what I assume your post might've spawned from.

As for Dimmu Borgir: They're not black metal because they're not black metal. It's not because their lyrics are english, or because they're "mainstream" (which, really, they're not) or anything else like that. It's simply because they don't play a form black metal and haven't since their first two albums. Chances are though, most people here have probably already listened to them, formed an opinion and moved on. Mine is of indifference. Their latest album outright sucked on many levels as did Stormblast MMV, but I honestly didn't mind any of their past albums and the original Stormblast I still enjoy. I just don't think anyone wants to even hear about them anymore. Simple as that.

Also, the sound they're trying to cultivate is a symphonic extreme sound. In which there are far better bands out there. Kadenzza falls in this category, and so could Sigh's latest release. Check 'em out. Oh, and both have english lyrics.

protip for anyone posting in this thread: the part where I mentioned hating on someone for their taste in music as opposed to hating on that person's taste in music is the important bit for this thread.

Posted by Klarth

I'M COOL BECAUSE I LISTEN TO MUSIC THAT EVERYONE ELSE THINKS SUCKS BECAUSE I'M NOT ALTERNATIVE BUT HEY LOOK I'M ALTERNATIVE BECAUSE I'M ALTERNATIVE ALTERNATIVE.

***, you are so ****ing stupid. Grow the **** up.

[quote=Vampiro]Also, the sound they're trying to cultivate is a symphonic extreme sound. In which there are far better bands out there. Kadenzza falls in this category, and so could Sigh's latest release. Check 'em out. Oh, and both have english lyrics.
Dude, NO. They have NEVER been on MTV. Are you ****ing RETARDED? I'll listen to what I want you sad bastard. I don't need to listen to "awesome" underground metal to be cool. **** you, I'm alternative.

Posted by Klarth

ALTERNATIVE ALTERNATIVE ALTERNATIVE ALTERNATIVE ALTERNATIVE ALTERNATIVE ALTERNATIVE ALTERNATIVE ALTERNATIVE ALTERNATIVE.

Posted by Omni

[QUOTE=The Judge;738402]I dunno, hearing Omni go on his/her rant about how "they're not black metalz cuz they went mainstream and they switched to engrish" and "thus they suck."

Wow, is this a troll post or what?

Actually, I don't like them because they play three-chord punk music covered up by huge symphonic elements and to me the vocals sound like a constipated gorilla. They aren't black metal and they haven't been black metal for years. They did switch to English lyrics to attract a bigger fan base, which I do think is dumb, but that wouldn't keep me from listening to them if I thought they sounded good.

As far as Sigh and Kadenzza, **** yeah. They have English lyrics, and they play music that's actually complex and interesting. Mirai's vocals suck, but at least he sounds good for the kind of music he's making.

Posted by Shin-Ra

It's crap. There is no atmosphere, ambience or power to this music. It's a bunch of distorted vocals, norsecore masturbating drums, uninspired lyrics, predictable arrangements, and cheesy orchestrated stuff made for people who pretend to be cultured in music. Shagrath tries to hold on to the black metal ideals and uses the extreme nature of the genre and intentionally waters down the music for reasons of accessiblity and jerking-off people who want to feel edgy or like they have an eclectic taste in music. This seriously goes against all that I stand for when it comes to music. That is the line between pop and art.

You should feel bad for listening to crappy metal with symphonic music added over that doesn't even fit or add to the music itself. Try again.

Posted by Klarth

**** you he can have his own tastes. He doesn't need to go against the grain and be unique to be special. He listens to GOOD music, not "underground" poser crap.

DOWN WITH THE SICKNESS \m/.\,\m

Posted by Fragliche

Not that you should actually care about what people think of the music you listen to. Hell, I listen to bands like OK Go and Dark Tranquility, and for that I catch a lot of crap from both friends and unknown people. Listen to what you enjoy and just say to hell with whatever someone else says about the music you enjoy, 'cause you know what? It's your tastes, not theirs.

I've also taken crap for liking-- no, let me correct that; for loving Dimmu Borgir. But I've learned to live with it and ignore people.

Also...

Quoting netman: He listens to GOOD music, not "underground" poser crap.

DOWN WITH THE SICKNESS \m/.\,\m

That made me smile. :cookie:

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Fragliche: Listen to what you enjoy and just say to hell with whatever someone else says about the music you enjoy, 'cause you know what? It's your tastes, not theirs.

You know I wholly agree with this logic but Judge is abusing it by being a dick about his own tastes.

The main difference here is that you're not an ignorant manchild.

Posted by Shin-Ra

This is a thread about Dimmu Borgir, the band. It's not an accomplishment to listen to any band and thus doesn't deserve motivational sentiments. If Judge is actually vaginal hurt over what people think of bands, then this belongs in the community board where people can pretend to be interested in people's whining.

So please keep this on the subject of the band, not someone's personal epiphanies, especially when it's on a topic a silly as this. Or not. The thread would be more interesting that way anyway.

Posted by Klarth

He's trying to troll Omni. I vote this be moved to [url=http://www.vgchat.com/forumdisplay.php?f=182]somewhere[/url] more appropriate.

Posted by Omni

This is obviously related to when Panic came back and kept posting Dimmu Borgir in the Currently Playing thread and saying they were black metal. He even decided to talk to me on AIM and tell me he liked black metal now, so I made a joke thread in Junior Senior's blog, which is obviously a serious discussion forum, that basically said Panic likes fake black metal. Ant asked me on AIM why Dimmu Borgir wasn't black metal, so I told him that they changed their style to be more commercially accessible, and explained to him exactly what I posted in this thread. I'm assuming he misunderstood what I was saying and told Derick that I was dissing such a 1337 h4x band as Dimmu Borgir, and thus we have this thread. I'm surprised it took him this long to actually make this, since that happened several weeks ago.

So this is obviously a poor attempt at trolling someone with improper information, both on the part of what I said and the fact that Dimmu Borgir is not a black metal band. Move it to an appropriate board, or it can even go in my blog since it's about me and my supposed opinions of music.

Posted by Grave Wisdom

Wow, was this thread for real?

Either way, I don't care. Judge is still cool. Oh yeah, and I actually enjoy most of DB's albums. Not a huge fan of anything besides the first album though.

Posted by Omni

He sure is. Anyone who listens to Linkin Park is an awesome guy.

Posted by Klarth

Well, in the end it doesn't even matter

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Simon and Garfunkel > Dimmu Borgir

Posted by The Judge

Seeing how ****ed you all got makes me think I should do more of Ant's "Post this and see what happens" ideas.

Posted by Shin-Ra

No one's pissed, you dumbass. How about contributing to the conversation and not posting like a worthless child? Seriously, grow the hell up.

Posted by The Judge

Next time I have a concern about the thoughts on the music board, I'll definitely post seriously. The fact of the matter is that I posted this because Ant told me to because he knows I like Dimmu and wanted to get a few chuckles out of reactions. I could care less about what kind of Metal they are, or my position in a social hierarchy for listening to them.

But if you want my serious opinions on musical tastes, then I'll gladly give them to you, as uninformed as they may be.

Posted by Omni

Tell us more about your uninformed tastes in music, Judgey.

Posted by The Judge

Well, I for the most part like anything save for almost any rap or country (typical, I know), though I have a special preferrence for Classical, Techno, Metal (that's a very generic term I'm using), and Rock, as well as Spanish music (like mariachi and such) for whatever reason. I enjoy it when the music ends up bringing images to mind of the mood it intended to set, and I like being able to understand what people are saying so I don't have to go online to figure out the lyrics. One thing I absolutely hate in the heavier types of metal is when they do the same drum beat really fast (tap your hand on the desk really fast at the same pace for an example) in the middle of a song, because it throws off the entire beat most of the time. I also enjoy songs that are really fast paced and have a good beat, as well as fast lyrics (the primary reason I like that one song by Bare Naked Ladies).

For the most part, I end up liking songs based on the sound of them, not on the artist or the meaning behind them (though granted there are smoe songs that carry deep meaning that I like). I like the songs, not the artists. For example, there's a ton of songs by Dimmu that I really don't like, but certain ones I do. Obviously there are certain bands who have more songs that I like than ones I don't (like Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Pantera, Korn, Zeromancer, Voltaire, Creature Feature, Nevermore, and so on), but for the most part I really just concentrate on the song itself, not the artist or the genre. I'm very lax about music because I don't know everything about it, though I love listening to music and singing to it.

Posted by Klarth

Shut up.

Shut up shut up shut up shut up.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

ugh, I should've just gone with my first instinct.