Dreamcast online is no more

Posted by gamecorner

I was about to buy a dreamcast and phantasy star online until gamecrazy told me that they stopped onlin play for it. I got my hopes up for nothing. Why in the world did they stop the online play???

Posted by bazariah

because the system was in the eyes of many compltly dead, thus pretty much everything got dropped software support, online support everything... shame realy... allthough some games still get released in japan, it's no good for the rest of the world

Posted by Roth

Man, that's a shame. I never got to experience online gaming with the DC, but it was such an awesome system! I really wish it wouldn't have died off. I've played some great games on the dern thing!

Posted by bazariah

Quoting Roth: Man, that's a shame. I never got to experience online gaming with the DC, but it was such an awesome system! I really wish it wouldn't have died off. I've played some great games on the dern thing!

your right it was/still is an awesome system... the main problem was that when it came out in 1999 everybody (well the mainstreamers) were waiting for the release of the ps2, which pretty much killed of any chance the dc had of producing more killer games.. the developers just werent prepared to give it too much of a chance, much like the way they are with the gamecube today

Posted by Momentum

Quoting bazariah: allthough some games still get released in japan, it's no good for the rest of the world

Most of which are pretty much the best games DC has to offer. Most games released post-death are of the shooter variety, and are of premium quality. Ikaruga, Border Down, and Psyvariar 2: The Will to Fabricate are all premium games very worth importing.

Later

Posted by neonmole

[COLOR=Yellow]What? I didn't know this! This means I will never be able to experiance online Dreamcast, ever![/COLOR] :( :grrr:

Posted by Bebop

Strange, becuase when my friend bought a new DC last year he rang up a number on the back of his dreamkey to inquire about something or other. There was someone at the desk and knew what he was talking about so I assumed it was still up. However not really a shock it's shut down.

Posted by ZEN

It's amazing that the DreamCast died off so early considering that the console itself was fully equipped to handle the impending "online gaming revolution".

I always wanted to try out the web browser also.

Posted by Foxy McCloud

The dreamcast died before it's time. So much potential... In my opinion the Dreamcast is a better system then the PS2. It's a pity that PSO is no long online, but you have to understand keeping those servers online is very expensive considering how once you got connected with PSO it was free to play. (save for ver.2 which hardly anyone bought)

Posted by Pieboy

actually there is still a few games up for online play, the only one i no of is quake 3.

Posted by Arczu

Son of a...

I wanted to play Bomberman Online... well, online! I was close to setting up an account the DC can use, but then this happens... no fair.

Well I guess I never will be able to get the SA2 extras now... darn it! *snaps finger*

Posted by Alastor

Ah, man. That sucks. I have a Dreamcast, but never took it online...

For all the PSO fans, there's still the GameCube version, I guess. =/

Posted by Captain Falcon

Quoting Alastor: Ah, man. That sucks. I have a Dreamcast, but never took it online...

For all the PSO fans, there's still the GameCube version, I guess. =/

thers a PSO on xbox too

Posted by Random

The Dreamcast isn't Completely Dead. Japan is still making games for the Dreamcast. Also I did get to play online. You can even web surf but it's limited and it's a standard 56k Dial Up Connection. I did play Unreal Tournament on there ^_^

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Unfortunately, I've never actually played a Dreamcast, and have not seen one for sale for ages. I didn't even know that there were still games being made for it, nevermind that it still had online capabilities (until just recently, that is). Anyhow, I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one, either way.

Posted by inequity

I just bought mine from ebay a couple days ago along with alienfront online. Its no fun on single player.

Posted by NightmareBassX

I didn't even know Dreamcast had an Online...
Well PSO is fun, and online play would be alooottt Of fun. Its too bad.

Posted by Granseal

They had to do it at some time. It's like making new games for sega saturn. New systems of saturn don't get made. So why make games for it. Dreamcast is becoming another one of sega's old classic systems, You could see it coming.

Posted by Dreamcast-Jack

actually some DC games are still online try out dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com (i think thats the correct link) q3A and I believe UT is still online.

Posted by Apathetic

Too bad it went offline. DC games are amazing and I cant even imagine how fun they would be online. Heck I still have to buy Quake III
Angelwing:: you can order off ebay, I got mine with 2 controllers and 2 VMU's for $40

Posted by KoH

GUYS. LET'S START OUR OWN SERVERS AND BRING THE DREAMCAST BACK.

Seriously... I love the dreamcast.

Posted by Sorrow

Quoting gamecorner: I was about to buy a dreamcast and phantasy star online until gamecrazy told me that they stopped onlin play for it. I got my hopes up for nothing. Why in the world did they stop the online play???

get pso for the PC

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

Its a shame Dreamcast is no longer online.