post your best n64 memories!!

Posted by Abendigo

my best memory was playing super mario 64 for the first time. it was only about 4 years ago but i didn't own an n64 before then. it was the first game i got along with the system. i had played 3D systems before then, but the only mario games i had played were the 2D ones on the nes.

Posted by Preeminence

beating paper mario

Posted by Fragliche

The day I *finally* beat Banjo-Tooie. That game was hard for me at first despite the countless hours of practice I'd had with Banjo-Kazooie. Getting to beat Grunty was like the CROWNING ACHIEVEMENT of my life at the time. Plus, it meant I didn't have to play hardcore at the game anymore and I could just play it normally and have fun (I can't play a game for fun if I can't beat it).

The next would be the day I bought Conker's Bad Fur Day. That was a good day.

Finally, beating Quest 64. My thumbs were raped to death after playing that game non-stop for three days.

Posted by Colonel

I remember first opening up my N64. It was one faithful christmas morning I opened it up and saw Bowser on the back. I WAS SOOO HAPPY!

I also remember beating the Water Temple in OoT.

And I remember getting the Fierce Deity Mask after 2 years of tring in MM.

Posted by Dexter

Just spending the summer of 1998 constantly playing Goldeneye with my friends. Seriously, it was all we really did for the summer. We started to go a bit crazy and seeing things, like Indians would see on Spirit Journeys. I remember going to the fridge to get a drink and jumping back because I thought I saw a proximity mine overhead. That wasn't even enough to get me to stop. It just made me want more.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Playing through OoT. I got my N64 years after release, and had always wanted to play this Zelda. Also, playing Goldeneye and MK with friends.

Posted by Xero

Best memorie: Winning a Pokemon Stadium tournament.

Another good memorie: Finally completing OoT. Took me months.

Posted by D.J Cat

Quoting Dexter: I remember going to the fridge to get a drink and jumping back because I thought I saw a proximity mine overhead. That wasn't even enough to get me to stop. It just made me want more.

Thats awesome, dude! :D

I have so many.
SO very many.

1. The first time I played Super Mario 64.
It was December 96 (N64 wasn't released in Australia till March 97), I didn't even know what a Nintendo 64 was, I had barely even played any video games before.
But my brother had brought this N64 which he got in America over and I played Super Mario 64 for a few hours every night, on a projector screen. I sucked at the game and got 11 stars over maybe 5 days, but ****! It was SO much fun, such an amazing experience!

2. First time playing Goldeneye
I had heard good things about this game, and my friend had rented it for the weekend for his birthday party.
For the first 30 minutes or so we just played 1 vs 1s, and then i said "so when are we going to plat 4 players?"
-They didn't know, and the fun started there.
I won my first free-for all. Temple, Rockets, Unlimited Time.

3.Beating Ocarina of Time for the first time.

That'll do for now, there are many more though.

Posted by ZOSO

my favorite memories were playing conkers bad fur day at my cousins house. that was back when it first came out... and ill never forget fighting the boss
"the great mighty poo".

Posted by Arcadios

Diddy Kong Racing and Paper Mario. I'll always remember how I got those games in the first place and how much I loved them. I wish I could force myself to have a Mario 64 memory but I never owned it back then. :(:(:(:(

Posted by junior senior

I remember in 1st grade I had to write journal entries, I wrote them about getting Nintendo 64 for Christmas with Golden Eye, Madden 98, and Mario Kart. ***** scolded me.

I loved Yoshi's Story, and I loved Coco Mountain in MarioKart. :(

Posted by Xero

Ah I remember Yoshi Story. It was fun, but I didn't play it for a long time. I also remember getting stuck at some point and gave up on it. I got into other games very quickly.

Posted by ExoXile

Ocarina of Time.
The only game in the world that will ever have had me in that much awe.

Posted by talentz

playing mario kart 64 for the first time.

Posted by Isaac1

I have so many great memories with my Nintendo 64, it's hard to pick one to be the best, so I'll list a few, in no particular order.

- Finally beating Banjo Kazooie. This was such a hard thing to do, it took me and my best friend a ton of tries, but I finally did it. To this day, however, he still hasn't beaten his. He was going to have me beat it for him years and years ago, but his mom laid a guilt trip on him about not beating it himself, so I never did it.

- Pokemon Snap binge with buddies at a sleepover. We stayed up for something like 5 hours straight and beat the game; every Pokemon photographed, every little secret discovered. Good times.

- Playing Donkey Kong 64 for hours on end.

- GoldenEye, nuff said.

Posted by David M. Awesome

[COLOR=Navy]Double teaming the final race against Canary Mary in Banjo Tooie after trying five hundred times to beat the stupid ***** just so we could have complete data.

My brother and I getting complete data on Bomberman 64, which was hard as hell since we didn't have any sort of guide for the game.

Playing 4 player Goldeneye with my brother and cousins.

Playing Perfect Dark with my brother. We used to fight against Dark level sims and see how hard we got slaughtered. It was pretty intense. Some of our custom scenarios were pretty *****in'.

Also, getting married and having a son in Harvest Moon 64.
[/COLOR]

Posted by D.J Cat

Quoting Mr. Awesome: [COLOR=Navy]Double teaming the final race against Canary Mary in Banjo Tooie after trying five hundred times to beat the stupid ***** just so we could have complete data.

[/COLOR]

Sounds interesting, tell me more.
I heard about a strategy that involves not trying for the first 98% of the race and then just mash like crazy for the last 2% to pass her.
She is programmed to always keep up with you, no matter how fast you mash, I don' t know where I saw the article (It might have been on Rare's old site I think), but there ya go. ;)

Also custom scenarios in Perfect Dark, so much fun, and so intense.
I loved playing "pop-a-cap" and we all had to defend one person, we would crowd into the safety house in Area 52 and be fighting of 5-6 sims at once that would charge the door, so awesome. :D

Posted by Isaac1

Quoting D.J Cat: Sounds interesting, tell me more.
I heard about a strategy that involves not trying for the first 98% of the race and then just mash like crazy for the last 2% to pass her.
She is programmed to always keep up with you, no matter how fast you mash, I don' t know where I saw the article (It might have been on Rare's old site I think), but there ya go. ;)

I read where someone said they're best strategy is rubbing a spoon across the buttons on the controller. Never tried it myself though.

Posted by Xero

Rubbing a spoon? I can't believe someone actually thought of that....

Posted by David M. Awesome

[quote=D.J Cat;780228]Sounds interesting, tell me more.
She is programmed to always keep up with you, no matter how fast you mash, I don' t know where I saw the article (It might have been on Rare's old site I think), but there ya go.

[COLOR=Navy]Yes, that's more or less what we had to do. For the first part of the race my brother kept pace with her, and at the end he handed the control off to me when she was about to go blasting towards the finish line and I obliterated the button to powah boost to the end. Just barely beat her, too.[/COLOR]

[quote=Isaac1;780535]I read where someone said they're best strategy is rubbing a spoon across the buttons on the controller. Never tried it myself though.

[COLOR=Navy]That actually works, although you could probably just use a coin or your thumbnail instead of a spoon. Basically, pressing the button with your thumb takes a while because you have to lift your finger everytime before you can press the button again, but rubbing a spoon back and forth across it lets you press the button once for each motion back and forth, as opposed to only during the down motion of using your thumb.[/COLOR]

Posted by D.J Cat

Sort of how a friend of mine got 160 in Domination in Mario Party 4.
16 button presses a second. :cool:
We used a chapstick.

Anyway, on topic.

Last year playing Mario Party 1 and 2 and occasionally Super Smash Bros at lunch at school.
Fun everyone could enjoy.

Posted by Xero

At school? My school wouldn't even allow GameBoys. :(

I would have really enjoyed playing Super Smash bros at school. Mario Party? The games are too long and the breaks weren't long enough.

And pressing 16 buttons in a 2nd is insane. Fastest I did was probably 4-5 presses in a second.

Posted by MottaTheHutt

Beating Zelda: OoT without stopping, and using a fan to keep my N64 from getting too hot.

Posted by Average n00b

Well, I never had an n64 of my own, my brother and I shared and I got to keep the Super Nintendo. Anyway, playing my first N64 gamee was Mario 64 and it was AMAZING. I remember always avoiding the one door where the painting of Peach turned into Bowser and the trap door went..Then I also remember playing Banjo and Kazooie, that was probably one of my top favourite childhood games that got me into video games, along with playing OoT for a while although Link's Awakening was the game that got me really hooked in the Zelda series.

Well I guess that's really it.

Oh one more thing

this commerical

[youtube=UvljN9ycqLg]UvljN9ycqLg[/youtube]

Posted by Desperado

Playin Banjo Kazooie, from 98 all the way thru 99 (yup, jus this game for like a year n a half...every day, hours upon hours n hours. Gettin all the puzzles, jinjos n all). I was like 9-10 years old and to date I dont remember spendin more hours on ANY video game than this one. It was special to me cause i was absolutely drawn to this odd lookin world. As if I was part of it sumhow. Graphically I had never seen anythin like it, the gameplay was jus right... it felt as if the game was ment for me. Plus I got real close to the characters...sumtimes playin thru the huge worlds over n over again after completin them jus to explore the lush landscapes prentendin i was on my own adventure. Man that was one of the best times in my life, I really had a chance to live thru it, not jus playin it. Soundtrack also helped, its still in my head after nearly 10 years

Sumtimes i really miss those times man...

Posted by TheSorrow

I remember Super Mario 64 and simply being mesmerised by it and constantly playing it. I finally got all the stars after a long time. Then I remember OoT in which I devoted much of my time to just because of how addicting it was and how it never got old. Then Banjo and Kazooie. Another game I played the hell out of and I remember I got full completion on the game. Then thats all I remember. Other a few games of Super Smash Bros. with my uncle.

Posted by #061402

Getting Perfect Dark. Best buy EVAR.

Posted by Apathetic

Fully completing tony hawks pro skater game.
Getting married and tearing through HM64 in one year in game.

Posted by Aeroshadow5098

Messing around on 007:Goldeneye and Super Smash Bros with my friends

Beating Conkers Bad Fur Day

The wide and wonderous cheats many n64 games had to offer.

Posted by Kendra, Warrior Babe

Beating the crap out of my cousin on Goldeneye. Good game, good game.
Laying awake on the top bunk of my bed late at night, watching my sister beat Ocarina of Time on the tv in our room, not even noticing that it was my turn to play two hours ago.

Posted by #061402

Quoting Aeroshadow5098: ...The wide and wonderous cheats many n64 games had to offer.

Now that you mention it, there were cheats for pretty much every N64 game... Good console to grow up with.

I also remember when I was playing Body Harvest, I got a feeling that is so far unsurpassed. The (at the time) huge levels and vehicles and the music just made a freaking great game.

Posted by ExoXile

Running around in Hyrule field with a buddy of mine.

2 x TV's and 2 x N64's, it was awesome.

Posted by Linksonic5

seeing Princess Toadstool's giant cake! ^_^

Posted by Admiral Anthrax

Beating Diddy Kong Racing. It's to this day one of the most frustrating games I've ever played, so beating it was a MASSIVE victory.

Posted by shady

Getting Prfect dark last year and booting my N64... pure FPS greatness... never got pased the 5 level though...

And getting up to ganondorf in OOT and beating him, and then finding out i still had to take on Ganon... pue epicness

Posted by Vasioth

Buying Conkers Bad Fur Day, putting it in my machine and practically not stopping until the game was completed. Seriously, it has to be one of the funniest games I've played. I loved all the gags and I just loved how it took the **** out of so many things. I guess I loved its multiplayer mode aswell =] the knives always kept me amused, especially when using them on the squirrels (I always went the Tediz).

Also playing Majora's Mask non stop. It seriously is better in my opinion then Ocarina of Time. I loved the Mask Mini games aswell, probably more then actually playing the game and finishing it. The Fierce Destiny mask challanges were fun also.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Admiral Anthrax: Beating Diddy Kong Racing. It's to this day one of the most frustrating games I've ever played, so beating it was a MASSIVE victory.

Which levels and bosses gave you such a hard time?

Posted by TimeSkipz

Playing SSB and Goldeneye, buying the sequel to goldeneye and finding out it was crap. Finishing OOT, thinking the Expansion pak or whatever it was called made graphics SO much better.

They don't make games like they used to anymore :(

Posted by JPolito830

Playing a 100 man Royal Rumble in WWF No Mercy, and winning in under 3 hours!

Posted by Zaith

Conker's bad fur day. "Squeeze the trigger"

Posted by Admiral Anthrax

[quote=Xero;875075]Which levels and bosses gave you such a hard time?
I forgot, it's been YEARS since I last played.

Oh, forgot another best memory: when I first got it and Super Mario 64. I played at least 6 hours a day after that.

Posted by Supermario

I remember seeing Super Mario 64 at a store for the first time and thinking, "Wow that game looks fantastic."
:D
Me and my brothers went to the Blockbuster video store and rented the Nintendo 64 system and Mario Kart 64 with controllers. We played that game all night. We played the regular races and also had a blast with the battle arena.

Posted by sonic hedgehog

Playing OoT on my cousin's N64. It was what inspired me to get one. Then playing my own copy of the game a month or so later. I nearly fell asleep with the controller in my hand a number of times during the first boot alone, I think I clocked around ten+ hours after a long day of school or whatever else I did back then.

My worst memory from the N64 was when I messed up on the water temple and had to start the whole game from scratch. DX

Posted by Panic!

Playing Pok

Posted by NES MASTER

my best memory of n62 hmm...thatz hard ok i have it .
my best memory of n64 is me getting an n64 from a crack dealer as a present we had mickey mouse usa speedyway or whatever it was called and......dun dun dun mk 4 reptile is this **** ax plus invisible boi those were da good ol days

Posted by Granasaber

Going round a friend of the family's house and seeing Diddy Kong Racing, man was I envious, managed to coax my parents into getting me An N64 afew months later, the PlayStation was left largely untouched for awhile afterwards.