Help my dog! :(:(

Posted by Slade

Here's the story. For about four days, we had my dog stay at my neighbor's house, knowing full well he would be dining on whatever scraps and candies the guy felt like feeding him.

Side-note on my neighbor: In my opinion he is an absolute menace. He's old, has no friends or family, and LOOOOOVES DOGS! So my parents are all "aww poor guy" and let mine go over there all the time, where he gets fed peppermint and butterscotch candies, full servings of meats, and ice cream. In short, my dog loves being over at his house way more than being home anymore.

So right after we took our dog back from that neighbor we moved away and brought our dog with us. Now it's been five days and he hasn't touched his food dish. :( We typically feed him medium-priced dry dog food and a packet of that tastier wet stuff once a day. Everything else about him is normal, except now he's getting visibly low on energy.

I don't know what to do! Anyone have any tips on how to get my poor little puppy(4+ yrs) to eat?! I know there are a couple veterinarians here, and right now I could really use your help!

Posted by Gollum

Wait until he gets really hungry, then he'll have to eat your food.

Posted by Jesse Smith

Quoting Slade: I know there are a couple veterinarians here!

Um, how about going to one of them, to a REAL one!! *hint*Use da yellow pages in da phone book!!!*hint*

You got to be nuts if you think kids or teenagers can be veterinarians!!! :D:D:D:D

Posted by cool gamer dad

maybe mix some actual meat in with her dry food, then gradually reducing the amount you put in. I'm not a professional, but idk, last resort?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

If you're going to mix real meat in with his regular food, do it away from the dog and out of the kitchen/eating area. You don't want the dog knowing you're giving it "people food."

Posted by Slade

Quoting Jesse Smith: Um, how about going to one of them, to a REAL one!! *hint*Use da yellow pages in da phone book!!!*hint*

There aren't any vets close by, at least not in this country.

Thanks cats, I might try that tomorrow if he's still not eating.

Posted by Kit

Pick him up and place him in front of his food bowl. If he walks away, pick him up and place him there again. He should get the message. :)

Posted by Slade

Quoting Kit: Pick him up

Haha, he weighs around 80 lbs, and he would... struggle... a bit. But there is good news! Last night I heard him munching on some of his dog food, so I don't think he's going to starve himself to death. And he seems to be doing better overall. I think the move was hard on him. I mean, he spent ten hours sitting in a car one day, and then half a day in a car a few days after that... Plus, he's in a whole new area all together. But It seems like he'll be OK.

Posted by Klarth

Get a cat.

Posted by Slade

It's already been got. He's actually warmed up to me a lot since we moved. Proof of superiority? It would be foolish to assume anything less.

Posted by The Hate

YOU are the alpha male.

Posted by Sable Wind

I love that show. <3 Caesar (the **** spelling) Milan is the man.

Posted by The Hate

Hes the pack leader. How isnt he cool?

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Quoting Slade: Haha, he weighs around 80 lbs, and he would... struggle... a bit. But there is good news! Last night I heard him munching on some of his dog food, so I don't think he's going to starve himself to death. And he seems to be doing better overall. I think the move was hard on him. I mean, he spent ten hours sitting in a car one day, and then half a day in a car a few days after that... Plus, he's in a whole new area all together. But It seems like he'll be OK.

That's good. For the most part, dogs won't starve themselves to death, and can go for days without food (providing there are no health issues). He was most likely stressed out and possibly sick? Anyways, glad to hear he's getting better!

Cats on the other hand, can't go for more than two days without food before problems arise.

Posted by The Hate

Yea last month my cat didnt eat for about a week. Her hips were sunken in so we took her to the vets. They didnt know what was goin on. So they just prescribed some steroid and some fluids pouch to insert fluid through a needle (IV) Since then shes been eating and drinking fine. :)