Xasthur - Defective Epitaph

Posted by Grave Wisdom

A date has apparently been set for the albums release: September 25th, 2007 thru Hydrahead records.

The tracklisting is as follows

1. Souless Elegy
2. Purgatory Spiral
3. Cemetery Of Shattered Masks
4. Malignant Prophecy
5. Oration Of Ruin
6. Legacy Of Human Irrelevance
7. Dehumanizing Procession
8. Funerals Drenched In Apathy
9. Warship (The War Against) Yourself
10. Memorial To The Waste Of Life, A
11. Only Blood That Pours Is Yours, The
12. Unblessed Be

hopefully it'll be as strong as Subliminal Genocide.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Wasn't this supposed to come out in, like, July? Ah well, after "Xasthur" I have high hopes for it.

Posted by Grave Wisdom

Yeah, there was a number of delays. Better late than never though!

Posted by Omni

Malefic was probably too scared to leave his house after finishing the recording. Hopefully it will be good. Now, if Wrest can hurry up and release his ****.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to new Leviathan more than Xasthur, but I expect both to be excellent.

Posted by Omni

With the other stuff out and coming out, like new Sapthuran, Procer Veneficus, Wolves In The Throne Room, and Velvet Cacoon, it's a really good year for USBM in general.

Posted by Grave Wisdom

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Yeah, I'm looking forward to new Leviathan more than Xasthur, but I expect both to be excellent.

Same here actually, just because Leviathan has more variety. But yeah, i'm looking forward to both. Also, the new Lurker Of Chalice should be amazing.

Posted by Omni

Quoting Grave Wisdom: Also, the new Lurker Of Chalice should be amazing.

Too bad that it's technically the old Lurker of Chalice.

As far as the track titles for the new Xasthur album go, I like "Ceremony Of Shattered Masks" a lot. "Unbessed Be" and "Warship (The War Against) Yourself" are horrible puns.

Also, here's the album cover:
[IMG]http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/4958/165874lz2.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by Grave Wisdom

Quoting Omni: Too bad that it's technically the old Lurker of Chalice.

But we don't know that for a fact. And either way, it'll be "new" to us. Also, nice cover art!

I like Unblessed Be :(

Posted by Slade

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: I like Unblessed Be :(

Me too. I like titles that play off of hymns I've heard a ton, growing up. Especially ones like "Oh Be Joyful in the Lord" by Deathspell Omega.

Off this album, I like the title Legacy Of Human Irrelevance most.

Quoted post: Me too. I like titles that play off of hymns I've heard a ton, growing up. Especially ones like "Oh Be Joyful in the Lord" by Deathspell Omega.

So agreed.

Posted by Omni

Promo version incoming now. I'll upload it as soon as it's finished.

Posted by Grave Wisdom

You...kidding me?

Do share.

Posted by Omni

I'm uploading it right now, but it's taking a while.

Posted by Omni

Actually, **** it since the upload is going to take like 3 hours at the speed it's going. If someone else wants to upload it, you can get it here: http://www.kerrazy-torrents.net/index.php?showtopic=106541

There's a bunch of subtle differences in this album and equally as much subtle experimentation that never showed up in his past work. "A Memorial to the Waste of Life" and "Oration of Ruin" both stand out as good examples of this to me. I really like it. Just enough differences to keep the sameness as appealing as ever.

Posted by Omni

Yeah, also more live drumming, since he just started using it finally last year on some parts of Subliminal Genocide.

Posted by Grave Wisdom

Alright, this just may be my new favorite Xasthur album. Totally serious here. Anyone else feel that way?

Agreed. Funeral of Being is right behind it.

Posted by Omni

I like it. Definitely the best.

Posted by Grave Wisdom

I was telling Omni, but I definitely hear more of a Funeral Doom influence on this album...even if the tempo is higher than past Xasthur.

Disagreed. It's straight-up suicidal, which can have a similar tone and feeling, but it's nowhere near slow enough to be a funeral doom record. It really doesn't compare to other efforts like Elysian and Nortt if you ask me. I know where you're coming from, but nah.

Posted by Grave Wisdom

Yeah it wasn't the tempo that made me think Funeral Doom, more the atmosphere. But either way, excellent album. Definitely surprised me, even though I knew it would be good.

A lot of that doom-like atmosphere came from he live drums if you ask me, but the melodies and guitars kept it grounded in suicidal.

Posted by Grave Wisdom

Yeah, the live drums definitely added a lot. Pretty sure Malefic did them himself, but they are very effective.

Posted by Omni

I got mine in the mail.

Posted by Grave Wisdom

Let me know if it sounds any different than the promo.

My copy is still on hold at the CD store. Hoping to pick it up later today.

Posted by Omni

Seems to be exactly the same, but I did make a 192kbps rip and posted a torrent at KT for people who want it. The liner notes state that he won't release the lyrics, even upon request.

EDIT: Oh, and the previously existing rip skips at some parts.