Home ownership ftw!

Posted by NES Queen

I went to closing today on my new condo purchase. By far, it was the most stressful and expensive day of my entire 29 years of life. My only bit of advice to you young'ens when you eventually become an old fart such as myself and enter into adulthood - trust no one.

My mortgage broker conveniently "forgot" to mention certain fees, taxes, and non-existant credit card debt I had to pay before my mortgage money actually started applying towards the price of the home. Meaning I had to fork over an extra $10,000 at closing that I wasn't quite prepared to do.

I'm going to snap a few pictures tomorrow while it's still clean and empty, but it's nothing special. Considering what I paid for it at least. If it wasn't here on LI and somewhere down in say NC or something, I'd have an extra 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and an acre of land. But I have 2 air conditioners and a dishwasher, and for now that's good enough for me.

*[URL="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v67/ecoli742/Condo/"]Pictures[/URL]*

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Congrats!

Your mortgage broker's an ***. When I was looking at getting a small house with a friend I'm pretty sure all of the details were explained, although I'm not certain...Hope it all works out for you.

Posted by Shade

Nice! My brother just bought his house, too. Congrats. :)

Posted by The Hate

I cant wait till I can at least rent my own house. Congrats on ur purchase.

Posted by NES Queen

I got a call late last night from my lawyer saying that the bank agreed to release some of the escrow funds back to me, which will help soften the blow by roughly $2,700. They originally required me to pay 7 months of school taxes up front, which apparently based on real estate standards is beyond ludicrous. So the majority of the extra fees I had to pay went to paying for my stuff, it's not like it was lost to the seller or uninvolved people, they just made me pay way too much up front for things that I should have been able to pay many months from now.

So that money is coming back to me, I'm getting another refund check from my lawyer for roughly $600, and a credit for my non-existant American Express debt for $2,800. Overall, I still got raped in the arse, but at least they're giving me some lube after the fact.