Keep The Definition - what is a McJob?

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

I was in McDonald's earlier today, and noticed that they've started a petition to change the definition of a 'McJob'. I think this is ridiculous, and that the current definition of

Posted by Oforia

honestly, who cares?

Posted by Dexter

I suppose I cared enough to sign. The argument convinced me. I've never even heard the term mcjob before now.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

mctitions never work

Posted by Speedfreak

*shrug* let the employees do it. Theres enough of them.

Posted by Omni

From the other posts, it looks like people might have misunderstood. The petition is to keep them from changing it.

Posted by Xero

I had bad working conditions and they weren't as bad as those at Mc Donald's. I'm glad I never worked in a fast food. It just sucks. I'll sign.

Posted by Linko_16

Ha, what do they want it changed to? "The greatest job that ever was and shall ever be?" I've never heard this word before (I notice it says "in the UK," is it only really from there?), but they can't possibly think that they can change the official definition of a word people made up and expect them to actually use it that way.

I wouldn't think Oxford would ever do this anyway. The only reason I could see is if McDonalds' secretly bribed them a ridiculous amount of money, which would just be ironic 'cause that cash could've gone into McDonalds' workers' paychecks.

Posted by s0ul

Quoting Linko_16: (I notice it says "in the UK," is it only really from there?)

Read more Coupland. :cookie:

srsly

Posted by Ant

I went there tonight and had some crack-head lady serve me. Took her a couple minutes to notice other people were waiting in line while she was looking for some spoon or something for some other customers. While taking my order I had to repeat everything twice it seemed. And, although not a bad thing I suppose, I dislike being called sir after confirming everything I say.

As for the definition, I don't care

Posted by The Hate

My mom told me to get a job at McDonalds. I laughed lol.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=s0ul;648032]Coupland

I am truly intrigued by this word.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Ant;648038]While taking my order I had to repeat everything twice it seemed.

It's kinda hard when your order is seven Big Macs, four McRibs, fourteen egg McMuffins, nine Double Cheeseburgers, five McChicken Sandwiches two portions of Chicken McNuggets, three Happy Meals, a Fillet-O-Fish, eight McFlurries, ten Cokes and some freedom fries.[spoiler]oh ***, i know most of the mcdonalds menu, I THINK I'M THE FAT ONE[/spoiler]

Posted by Ant

fat joke, ****ing genius.

Posted by mis0

Ant is misunderstood. He only eats that much because he is bulimic and he needs to binge in order to purge.

Posted by Crazy K

I heard of the word. I just thought it was something dirty.

lol

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Ant;648435]fat joke, ****ing genius.
IT'S FUNNY BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT YOU ARE

Posted by mis0

[quote=Crazy K]I heard of the word. I just thought it was something dirty.
A McJob is one of the nastiest ways you can ever be ****ed. :cookie:

Oh, I signed the thing. McDonald's is stupid, and using them as an example isn't new. "McDonalization" is something we talked about in sociology class.

The most hilarious thing is how they think a petition is going to sway the language in any way. As if the OUP don't inspect the origins and current use of a word before it's included in their dictionary, the one source everyone goes to for the meaning of words.

Posted by Trigger

I am so sick and tired of people expecting jobs such as that at McDonald's to be the greatest in the world with all the benefits of a higher level job. There's a reason why other jobs pay more than McDonald's and it's purely because there just is not as much responsibility or difficulty in the level of skill they require. No qualifications required, which is why the job is designed to be a platform for experience more than a career progression or high paying salary and is why most workers are either hopeless incompetents or high school students - both of which don't care at all what happens during their working hours.

There's no responsibility of ensuring high levels of customer service, and those who serve barely care if you appreciate a smile, the use of your name or prompt service. The job just has no thinking required - you push coloured buttons and put burgers in a bag. Most of the time the burgers are poorly made, that require you to reconstruct them when you open the burger box.

Quit crying, you knew what you were asking for when you signed the job application. If you want a good job with a high paying salary and a good work environment, you can get it if you put your effort into it. You don't get everything for nothing - you're not that special.

McJob is exactly what it is.

Sign the petition, then.

Posted by Trigger

Petitions do shit all.

I don't care what they call it - it's still going to be the same job with the same roles and lack of responsibility.

Posted by Grave Wisdom

keep the damned definition, F**KING PUSSIES!

Posted by Kendra, Warrior Babe

I signed, and put the link in my sig on another sight. :)