Unreal Tournament or Quake (any)?

Posted by Dreadnought

Quake 3 vs Unreal Tournament: Almost all of us have witnessed die-hard fans of each game flaming each other in some thread on just this topic, so here is a place for calm, rational general chat about the two games. For starters, here are the good points of each game that really tickle me.
[CENTER]The Quake Series[/CENTER]
[list]
[*]Creepy atmosphere: The gothic maps can get annoying, but the traps and quirks of Quake (3, in particular) maps are absolutely delicious.
[*]Space Maps: For anyone who has never palyed Quake 3: Arena, there is nothing like bouncing across the void from platform to platform, dodging rails and rockets while trying not to plummet to your doom.
[*]The BFG: I know, I know; it exists in other games, like Doom. However, no other manifestation can compare to the plasma-death goodness offered in the Quake games.
[*]Diverse and Unique opponents: Skins and models are treated on an individual basis in Q3, with each bot spouting off it's own special brand of verbal abuse. In Quake and Q2, the minions to be fought are funkalicious in themselves, and they just cannot be replaced by the aliens in UT2K4: Invasion.
[*]Easily in-game config/binds: If I wanted to turn the gravity off at the press of F3, all I would have to do would be press ~ and type "bind F12 set blablabla". In UT, I'd have to go mucking about in the .ini files, and risk tedious hours fixing the damage I caused.
[*]The Gauntlet: A spinny saw of doom. :-D
[/list]
[CENTER]Unreal Tournament and beyond[/CENTER]
[list]
[*]Intricate maps: Atmosphere might not always come off well, and there are few good spae maps, but one thing that will never cease to rub me is the elaboration and leverness of the levels in the Tournament; be it Domination in UT, CTF in 2003 or Assault maps in UT2K4, the level of complexity in these maps makes for great gameplay.
[*]Weapon function: Oh dear, I've said it. Ever since UT, this series has been wiping the floors with the Quake 3 arsenal. At least 15 weapons, each with an alternating fire, makes for 30 different methods of mass destruction (not including the translocator). From the light-weight assault rifle, to the classic tri-barrel rocket launcher, to the G[b][/b]odlike Redeemer, there is no comparison to the UT weapons. And the mods..oy vey!
[*]Bot play: True, they may all be built from similar, species specific archetypes, but the little buggers can be well clever! I have never [SIZE=3]p|-|34r3d[/SIZE] bots like this since I was addicted to "The Thing". Capable to G[b][/b]odly, they usually run purposefully and efficiently, replying to threats and challenges quickly and appropriately with a species-defined number of taunts.
[*]Voicepacks: No more silent chat; Taunts are delivered in harsh voices, or with UT2K4's text-to-speech feature for multiplayer.
[*]UT2K4 Onslaught: One word: [COLOR=Red][SIZE=3][FONT=Arial]Pancake!
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/list]

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Posted by Fpsmastaps2

well......i say that quake 3 better, its more fast pace and it gets right down to dirty combat, UT on the other hand has too much dissing u, that u get ****ed at it and also the domination is hard when u have stupid a i with u

Posted by Arczu

I wish it could be speech-to-text for UT2k4, but yeha...

I don't know... it's really based on what you want out of the game. I like Q3A and UT2k4. So many mods out there and other stuff.

Posted by Fpsmastaps2

yea arczu is right, but since he talked about UT2k4, i say that one better, the one i was talking about was the first one. but yea there are a lot of stuff that u want of a game

Posted by Fei-on Castor

I like UT way more, but Quake III is awesome too.

I have UT 2003, and 2004. I plan to buy 2005 as soon as it comes out.

Fei-on

Posted by Arczu

Hey you guys, get a quick look out of this picture from 2k4, then re-evaluate the fun you can have with mods!

[URL=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/Arczu/Game%20Snaps/Unreal%20Tounament/UT2004RPG.jpg]UT2k4pic of mod[/URL]

Posted by Dreadnought

I can't wait for Quake 4. Wonder if it will b another arena-type?

Posted by Fpsmastaps2

oh yeah quake 4 is coming out, but i heard it was for the pc, and that it is coming out this november that's a long time to make the game perfect in any way. i still think that quake 4 should be on ps2 or x box.

Posted by Dreadnought

but then I would'nt get to play it :( .

Posted by Dreadnought

[COLOR=Black]anyone who plays UT2K4 wanna set up a game?[/COLOR]

Posted by Fpsmastaps2

i want to know if anyone still plays quake 3 arena because i can't find any servers online.

Posted by TehGamer

i thjink quake4 is better tho, but i like unreal very much 2...
i cant decide really.. both games is great i think :D:D

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Arczu: Hey you guys, get a quick look out of this picture from 2k4, then re-evaluate the fun you can have with mods!

[URL=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/Arczu/Game%20Snaps/Unreal%20Tounament/UT2004RPG.jpg]UT2k4pic of mod[/URL]

Did someone say the mods in UT2004 can't be fun? If they did -

Wrong!

Anyway, I used to be quite a hardcore UT2004 player, but I put it on the shelf for a few months, tried to get back into it, and lost my mojo. Private server play is much, much, much, much better than pubs. You'll find that in most games, but it's pretty apparant on Unreal's public servers. Players abuse the microphone to hell, (someone got their friend to play piano in the background, taped down their mic button, and for the whole match we had to play to a sh*tty interpretation of The Entertainer) and most of the players are unforgiving.

Other than that... Fun.

:cool:

Posted by GameMiestro

UT. It looks nicer, the game is faster, and it's a little more fun.

Posted by Klarth

Nothing can ever beat the amount of fun I had with Quake 2.

Posted by muffla

i am a hardcore ut fan (getting ut207 the day it comes out) but the first quake pwns and quake four might b good