Why is the Wii selling so fast?

Posted by Random

Its rather amazing and fascinating to me. The Wii is still selling like hot cakes. Though slowing down, they still easily outsell 360/PS3's console for console as of now. But what i'm curious of, is what is still driving people to buying this?

I'm not saying its a terrible system or anything but I had many friends who were hyped for this system. They got them during release and had a glow in their eyes. However, now I know no one personally who has a Wii. They became easily bored with next to no titles, and most said they didnt' care much for the wii-mote. They thought it was a great innovation but they felt it just got boring after a while.

I also knew people who got Wii's due to the low price. Also having friends that work at Gamestop, they told me that probably 1/3 buyers who buy the Wii, buy it simply for the price. They went a current gen console, with current gen games, at a low low price.

But now after all the hype has kind of started to fall, and sales starting to slow down, what drives its sales to still be so high?

I've played the Wii multiple times at my cousins. It was fun but it did get boring after a while. I found more fun in playing SNES titles on the Wii, moreso then any Wii games out. My cousin had purchased a 360 after his Wii, and didnt pick up the Wii once. Eventually he traded it in for a few 360 games.

Who plays the Wii a lot? Is it worth having? Tell me something about the Wii that is a positive that would make me want to buy one. I would eventually like to get one for Mario Kart, and Mario Strikers, but there aren't many titles that even phase me.

Whats so special about it? Someone explain?? Its innovative, and successful, but the games for it thus far seem horrible, and they don't have the developement support Microsoft or Sony have.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Price + Wii Sports + media coverage. Simple as that.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

I play the Wii a lot, but then, I like quirky low-budget games sometimes. The meat-and-potatos for this system right now are Zelda and Paper Mario, but there's a heaping helping of Nintendo goodness coming later this year...later this month with Metroid Prime 3. More and more 3rd-parties are getting on board to develop for the system, so we'll see more than just token support and a plethora of ports from them before too long, too.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Price + Wii Sports + media coverage. Simple as that.

That and casuals got scared away from the Ps3's price. Left a huge casual gaming market looking for a new home.

---------------------
As for you getting bord. How many games do you own for it? Wii sports looses its shine, no one will debate that. TP is for a select crowed. Mini games only go so far too.

Basically the library is few between anything epic. Getting bored is called for, but the general idea sells anyhow.

Posted by Unite

Dirt cheap price for the system + dirt cheap price for the games 40$ a pop.

Posted by Speedfreak

Because it doesn't have any competition whatsoever and half the people that have one have never played games before. Because it's something new they're excited, so they talk about it and it spreads through word of mouth.

And it's cheap, and it's fun.

In other words, the exact same reasons the DS sells. Except not because as many people have told me, handhelds and home consoles are wayyyy too different to be compared.

Posted by Random

I'm just in aw over how fast their selling. Like i've said before, I will be purchasing one but not anytime soon. Theres not enough for it as of now. When Mario Kart, Mario Strikers, and Dragon Quest come out, i'll probably have one but i'm just amazed at how quick they are to sell with a low amount of games. Marketing is one of Nintendo's strong points.

Posted by Speedfreak

You think it's selling because or marketing and not because of the fact that no one else is doing what they're doing? Dude, come on, the best selling game of this generation so far is Wii Play for Christ's sake.

Isn't Mario Party 8, like, the top selling Wii game? Or right behind Wii Play at least? That game is utter ****. Wii Play is nice though, that I can see selling a bunch.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;642109]Wii Play is nice though, that I can see selling a bunch.

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;642109]Wii Play is nice though, that I can see selling a bunch.

Where am I and who the fuck are you?

It comes with a cheap controller and a decent game. How is that not good?

Posted by Speedfreak

The game is friggin' awful!

Billiards is a lot of fun. I was hooked on that for awhile. Laser Hockey is cool if you've got someone to play against. Fishing, Cow Racing, and Pose Mii are all garbage, but I was always a fan of Where's Waldo, so Find Mii is fun. The shooting gallery and table tennis are fun with 2 players, too.

Posted by maian

I got lucky with my Wii. They're still selling out with every shipment here within a few hours. I called Toys R Us right as they got a shipment. The whole process of me getting there took about 30 minutes, and four had already sold, four out of eleven. Everyone else I called said they still get lines before the store opens to get it.

I think it's awesome how ridiculously fast they're selling. The only Wii game I own is Super Paper Mario, but it's pretty awesome.

Quoted post: The game is friggin' awful!

It's not so bad with a friend. Plus, the extra controller is more than worth it.

Posted by Last Fog

The Wii is selling because it's cheap and different.

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: It's not so bad with a friend. Plus, the extra controller is more than worth it.
No, no it's not. I'd give the game back in exchange for $10 if I could and just keep the controller.

It's, like, twenty bucks. The controller alone is, what, double that?

Posted by Last Fog

Huh?? Wii play with controller is 50 bucks, remote alone is 40.

idk, I got it for twenty...

Fifty, yeah, I can see what you mean.

Posted by s0ul

Eh, if I wanted another controller I'd get Wii Play just for the hell of it. On topic though, I find buying a Wii to be investing in pure potential. Only great things so far are not exclusive (RE4 and Twilight Princess) but definitely show, IMO, how good a Wii game can be.

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: idk, I got it for twenty...
How the....? Thats less than the price of a controller alone. This maketh no sense.

idk, got it at eb with a bunch of other crap. All this time I thought that was the actual price. Huh.

Posted by Speedfreak

Come to think of it, price isn't the reason it's selling so fast. It's not even the main reason.

Gamecube was significantly cheaper than the other two systems fduring the middle of it's lifespan at a mere $99. It had more games than Wii did, too. Using that logic it should have been selling like the Wii is now, but it's not.

Saying it's selling because of the price demonstrates a failure to understand the core appeal of the system.

Posted by S

New = $250 vs. $600, at the beginning of its life span. Bigger numbers represent different things to people on an exponential scale. Its not quite as black and white as a simple comparison.

Posted by Speedfreak

PS2 was double the price of Gamecube in 2003, and had more games. The situation is analogous to Wii and 360, except Wii is selling more. So clearly price and library size aren't the major factors here.

Even at double the price the PS2 was still pretty cheap. That, and it was clearly better and easily worth the money and then some. Unlike the Wii, whose future is very bright, the GC's consistently became more and more dim. It was a terrible buy only a few years into its life, no matter the price. With this gen, no matter how much better the PS3 or 360 might be, the Wii is also fairly solid, cheaper, and not 600 dollars. Price is a big factor this round simply because the competitors are priced so high.

Posted by S

Quoting Speedfreak: PS2 was double the price of Gamecube in 2003, and had more games. The situation is analogous to Wii and 360, except Wii is selling more. So clearly price and library size aren't the major factors here.

[QUOTE=S

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;652267]Even at double the price the PS2 was still pretty cheap. That, and it was clearly better and easily worth the money and then some. Unlike the Wii, whose future is very bright, the GC's consistently became more and more dim. It was a terrible buy only a few years into its life, no matter the price. With this gen, no matter how much better the PS3 or 360 might be, the Wii is also fairly solid, cheaper, and not 600 dollars. Price is a big factor this round simply because the competitors are priced so high.

The average person knew little of the future of any of the systems. The GC was still cheaper than the other systems at launch by a fair bit. 360 still isn't much more expensive than Wii right now, especially here. In fact, a core 360 and Wii are now the same price.

Posted by Iris

PS2 graphics always struck me as for advanced and aesthetically pleasing than GC's. In fact, the look of the system itself was just prettier. Also, besides Mario Sunshine, Metroid, and Melee, I can't really think of that many widely familiar series GC continued over from N64. Maybe I just don't know many of the GC's games.

Anyways, Wii's price, appearance, and appeal is pretty much on par or better than the other next gen consoles. Even with the lack of games, both innovative yet classic games have or will come out for it, while PS2 and XBox don't quite seem as dynamic. Maybe I'm just too ignorant about the other systems, but it struck me that way.

Besides, it's Nintendo. I don't see much need for an explanation further than that.

Posted by Fate

Innovative doesn't mean fun, Iris!

There is something about the Wii controller I can't get used to. Maybe it's all those shooten gamez I play. First I'm all excited about Metroid, then I remember what controller I have to play it with.
:(

Posted by Iris

Really? I've become really used to the controller. The ergonomic design and comfortability of not always having your hands next to eachother is nice. I guess it only catches on with some people. It's something new. The only time it bothers me is when my hands are shaky. Still, I can't see that being a big problem unless you're Michael J. Fox.

Posted by Fate

I am pretty spazzy, though.

I dunno, I'm having a hard time with the controllers because they're so **** uncomfortable. Thinking of playing a great game like Metroid bothers me. I could barely stand the controller with Super Paper Mario, and the game was mostly played while being stationary and without a nunchuck-- basically the game was sans "Wii movement". I HATED IT.

Posted by Iris

That's strange. I thought SPM's controls were very nice. Just like NES, but with a more comfortable handle.

To each their own, I guess.

Posted by Fate

It wasn't unplayable, but it was like playing with an NES controller. :(

Quoted post: The average person knew little of the future of any of the systems. The GC was still cheaper than the other systems at launch by a fair bit. 360 still isn't much more expensive than Wii right now, especially here. In fact, a core 360 and Wii are now the same price.

Keep in mind the Core isn't exactly what you want when you buy a 360. The only purpose I see it serving it for people who bust up their 360s and need a new one. Plus, like I said earlier, the Wii has mass media coverage and it's pretty much all positive. Combine that with a low price and you got yourself a successful machine.

Quoted post: Besides, it's Nintendo. I don't see much need for an explanation further than that.

That doesn't really mean much. They weren't exactly the leaders last round, nor were gamers particularly pleased with them. But since the DS, that's changed a bit, but still. You can't say "Well, it's Nintendo."

Quoted post: Thinking of playing a great game like Metroid bothers me.

How come? So far everyone who's played it has nothing but good things to say about the controls.

Posted by s0ul

Well, it is the same girl who already can't play last gen games because they're ugly.

A lot of them are =/

Posted by s0ul

THAT IS NOT THE POINT, KIND SIR.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Fate;655213][COLOR=skyblue]It wasn't unplayable, but it was like playing with an NES controller.[/COLOR] :(

... I think that was the point.

Posted by Ant

Quoting Fate: shooten gamez I play. First I'm all excited about Metroid, then I remember what controller I have to play it with. :(

SHOOTEN GAMEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Posted by Fate

Quoting s0ul: Well, it is the same girl who already can't play last gen games because they're ugly.

Quite a few people feel that way. What does that have to do with my train of thought? A lot of people would complain about the controllers of way back when because we're so used to the comfortability of today. I can barely handle an Xbox controller now, let alone something older. *oscar*

Posted by Iris

Quoting Vampiro V Empire: That doesn't really mean much. They weren't exactly the leaders last round, nor were gamers particularly pleased with them. But since the DS, that's changed a bit, but still. You can't say "Well, it's Nintendo."

I don't mean it like they're destined to always win console wars or something. But Nintendo seems strong enough to continue with new innovations regardless of sales. They can't be staggered and they'll always be able to compete.

Posted by Fate

I agree. They're a very successful company.

Quoted post: I can barely handle an Xbox controller now, let alone something older.

lol me too. That thing is awkward to hold after having used the 360 pad for a couple years now.

Quoted post: But Nintendo seems strong enough to continue with new innovations regardless of sales

Nintendo can produce utter **** and people will still buy it now. Regardless of sales? They know everything they touch is gold. I just read it as if you were saying it's been like that for years or something. Probably a mistake on my part. Though, if last gen was any indication, the Wii could never sell and somehow they'd still be the only company making a profit.

Posted by S

Don't know about you guys but an SNES controller is probably one of the most comfortable things for my hands. It takes a while to re-adjust to my old controllers but they're just as comfortable when I do. N64 comes to mind because its a different style and held differently. I picked up Smash original a few months ago, and was a tad clumsy for awhile.

Genesis pad is more comfortable than the SNES' if you ask me.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

360 pad, SNES pad, Gamecube pad and Genesis pad are probably my four favourites. The 360 is like an amalgam of all good controller designs so far.

As for original XBox pad - WHERE THE HELL ARE MY BUMPERS :mad:

Posted by Zeta

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/Kvar/purplebuttons.jpg[/IMG]

Purple buttons ftw.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/46/SNES_controller.jpg/180px-SNES_controller.jpg[/IMG]

POWERS OF EUROPE AND ASIA UNITE!

Notice how close the buttons resemble the Xbox's?

Posted by Ant

I was thinking about that last night. Creepy.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Fate;652417][COLOR=skyblue]Innovative doesn't mean fun, Iris!

There is something about the Wii controller I can't get used to. Maybe it's all those shooten gamez I play. First I'm all excited about Metroid, then I remember what controller I have to play it with.[/COLOR] :(

Don't blame you, the majority of the games use it entirely wrong. The best use of it so far has been RE4: Wii and even that has it's share of tack-on (though actually fairly useful) gestures. Even this less than stellar effort has shown me how ridiculous playing it on GC was. I'm not getting RE5 because of it because I know Capcom will come to their f[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]cking senses and make a far better game with RE6 for Wii.

Devs will realise gesture control is completely unintuitive and that large motions are nothing but a novelty that bring in non-gamers to games not suited to them in the first place. When the player has to put as little thought into the controls as possible that's when real immersion is achieved. They need to take note of that and combine it with the controller's deep scope for control.

[quote=The X;663034]The 360 is like an amalgam of all good controller designs so far.

Sure, just mashed together in a completely stupid way. The D-Pad, bumpers and start/back/guide button suck balls.

Posted by Fate

I get what you mean. The rare use of the motion control part in a "stationary" game like Super Paper Mario was something I sought. Although I'm expecting tons of motion sensing in the new Metroid, I suspect that it won't feel like such a gimmick and some real immersion would come about.

One would hope, anyways.

Posted by Speedfreak

Basically.

You don't play last-gen games? I still play SNES games, man! With all the shiny, wax-dipped bullshit of next-gen graphics I find myself being wowed over and over by old games.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Speedfreak;663061]Sure, just mashed together in a completely stupid way. The D-Pad, bumpers and start/back/guide button suck balls.

I'm being totally serious when I say you're the first person I've ever heard be negative about the 360 pad. The D-Pad is terrible, but in this generation, it's used for naught but menial stuff like weapon-changes and inventories. The only game I could say it ruins is Hyper Fighting. I have no problems with anything else though. I personally like the bumpers. It's a refinement of the R1/R2 system the DualShock has.

Heh. I took apart my SNES controller and an Ascii Pad back in the day, and put the Ascii Pad's colored buttons in place of the purple ones.

Posted by WillisGreeny

I always figured the Wii sold like crazy not just because of price, but because of how well Nintendo has convinced new parents that the Wii would be good for their children.

*Afraid your child will be rotting his or her brain by playing videogames? Don't worry, look at Brain academy! Nintendo will help teach your children everything!

*Afraid your child will become fat if he or she sits on their butt all day playing videogames? Don't worry, look at Wii Sports and Wii Fitness! Nintendo will help keep your child in shape!

*Afraid you'll lose time with your child playing videogames? Don't worry, look at Wii Play! Nintendo will make sure all the games are easy enough so that the whole family can enjoy them together!

Considering those arguments along with the price difference, it's no surprise IMO.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=The X;663151]I'm being totally serious when I say you're the first person I've ever heard be negative about the 360 pad. The D-Pad is terrible, but in this generation, it's used for naught but menial stuff like weapon-changes and inventories. The only game I could say it ruins is Hyper Fighting. I have no problems with anything else though. I personally like the bumpers. It's a refinement of the R1/R2 system the DualShock has.

I usually don't use both my index and middle fingers to manipulate shoulder buttons, I just move my index. Try holding it with your index fingers on the triggers, then try bending them up to the bumpers. It hurts.

I always find myself accidentially pressing that big stupid guide button when I really just want to pause the game. There's no reason for it to be that big, if anything it should be small and less obvious like the Wii's home button. It also irritates me how my thumb touches the right thumbstick whilst pausing the game. Not a big fan of the face buttons either, wouldn't want to play any kind of button-mashing game on them. Good thing there's bugger all in the way of that on 360, though.

Posted by Fate

Quoting Speedfreak: Basically.

You don't play last-gen games? I still play SNES games, man! With all the shiny, wax-dipped bullshit of next-gen graphics I find myself being wowed over and over by old games.

I'd only play those that haven't aged terribly. A lot of great SNES titles look clear and crisp so it's not bad to play. Going back to the N64 or PS1 would be suicide for me, though, because both of those aged like **** (See: Goldeneye, Tomb Raider, etc.). I think the only N64 games I would play again would be StarFox 64 and Super Mario 64. The rest of the library I can happily tuck away in my memories.

Quoted post: As for original XBox pad - WHERE THE HELL ARE MY BUMPERS

Bottom right side.

Quoted post: Try holding it with your index fingers on the triggers, then try bending them up to the bumpers. It hurts.

That's how I play all my games. What the ****? You must have ****ed up hands or something. Though, you go just have your fingers going at a slant towards your triggers. If I know I need the bumpers constantly, that's what I do, so I can hit the triggers with the tips of my fingers and the bumpers with the side.

Seriously though, your complaints are basically just your own fault. I never accidentally hit any buttons and I never really hear of anyone else doing the same. Even my mom doesn't hit the guide button when trying to pause the game.

Posted by Unite

mt

Posted by Unite

wow speed did u actually buy the 360 core?

Posted by s0ul

Quoting Fate: I'd only play those that haven't aged terribly. A lot of great SNES titles look clear and crisp so it's not bad to play. Going back to the N64 or PS1 would be suicide for me, though, because both of those aged like **** (See: Goldeneye, Tomb Raider, etc.). I think the only N64 games I would play again would be StarFox 64 and Super Mario 64. The rest of the library I can happily tuck away in my memories.

lol that's unbelievable. if i met someone in real life who said that they couldn't play Ocarina of Time because it isn't pretty by today's standards i would be very liable to punch them in the face. Seriously, if you were talking specifically about games that were only popular because they were a visual feast, that would be one thing, but to not be able to play great games because they're not shiny-as-**** like current gen games is idiotic, and I could not possibly even call someone like that a gamer.

oot is pretty hideous.

Posted by s0ul

duly noted, but not the point.

Posted by Fate

I played OoT sooo many times that I'm okay with never playing it again. I'm talking VC here. I would definitely download Super Mario 64 and StarFox 64 and play them forever. While I played those two as much if not more than OoT, I personally found these two to be a little more timeless then OoT, which is why I would choose them over other titles. Stop being gay.

Posted by s0ul

Wasn't aware we were talking Virtual Console. Surely that is not grounds for questioning my sexuality. :cool2:

Quoted post: While I played those two as much if not more than OoT, I personally found these two to be a little more timeless then OoT,

Agreed. OoT will always be a classic, but the simple fact that you can pick up Starfox at any time and just play a couple missions will always make me come back to it. I really have no reason to replay OoT again, and I don't think I really want to.

Posted by s0ul

To be honest, I'm the same. I don't think I've ever even finished a replay of OoT, I always get ****ed at Jabu Jabu or Forest Temple lulz. I estimate that my number of playthroughs of Star Fox 64 is somewhere in the trillions, and maintain that I can recite all of the dialogue regardless of path choice.

Posted by maian

I can't replay OOT. Water Temple comes, I abandon. Normally it's earlier than that, though. But that's just OOT. Sure, it's a classic, but it doesn't do much with replayability.

...On the other hand, I can replay MM to no end, and well, most other N64 games. Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, all them good ones. N64 was probably my favorite system. I don't see why anyone whould have a problem playing old games if they're amazing in every way. :(

Posted by The Judge

Quoting Fate: I'd only play those that haven't aged terribly. A lot of great SNES titles look clear and crisp so it's not bad to play. Going back to the N64 or PS1 would be suicide for me, though, because both of those aged like **** (See: Goldeneye, Tomb Raider, etc.). I think the only N64 games I would play again would be StarFox 64 and Super Mario 64. The rest of the library I can happily tuck away in my memories.

I hope Carlos ages gracefully.

Posted by Speedfreak

I still think Majora is a really pretty game, I love it's cooky art style.

I don't think Wind Waker will age graphically ever.

I don't know, Speedfreak. Wind Waker's art is awesome, but with even more system power behind it, I can imagine "toon shading" looking tons better.

I agree on Majora's Mask, though. I never would have imagined a Zelda world that twisted and weird.

Posted by Speedfreak

Oh, no doubt Wind Waker could look better. I just don't think in 10 year's we'll look at it and say "this game looks terrible" like we do with games trying to look realistic.

Agreed with Speedy. WW will age a heck of a lot better. Yes, it could look better, but as is, it's still great and I'd say it looks a ton better than most current-gen games. Same with Okami.

Quoted post: ...On the other hand, I can replay MM to no end,

Me too. I don't know what it is, but I think it just feels like the game is more open-ended, even though it really isn't.

Posted by Fate

I personally felt it was a better game. :/

Posted by maian

I think MM is a better game in about every way. :) It's my favorite game of all time, actually!

Nonetheless, it did something OOT couldn't. Shame a lot of people were like "MM IS WERD NO TRIFORCE IT HAS A CLOK IT SUCKS"

Posted by Ant

GUYS! MM IS WEIRD! THERE'S LIKE, NO TRIFORCE! AND WTF IT HAS A CLOCK IT SUCKS!

It is a better game, but something about it lets me replay the entire adventure over and over again with little to no problem, unlike OoT. idk

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Probably because OOT was just 'GO TO DUNGEON. PASS DUNGEON.', whereas Majora's Mask had you involving yourself with the people you were saving, and a lot more to do besides dungeon-hopping.

Posted by Ant

that's why the game sucked idiot

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;732670]It is a better game, but something about it lets me replay the entire adventure over and over again with little to no problem, unlike OoT. idk

It told it's story better and made you feel like there was a world actually worth saving, despite you feeling completely helpless because you're just a kid VS a moon.

That's what brings me back, anyway.

Posted by Ant

you know everytime I look at the moon I think of MM. true story

Quoted post: you're just a kid VS a moon.

Perfect.

Posted by Fate

I did feel more involved in the lives of others in MM. It just felt so awesome to be a hero in that one. Really sad to see some people in the last twelve hours, though. :(

Posted by Speedfreak

The time travel and the way it made you experience and view the world was also fantastic. Far better executed than any other game, even Chrono Trigger. You always knew that no matter how hard you tried not everyone could be saved. Every time you saved you were being told to let go of everything you worked for and that you did what really counts.

Posted by Fate

But the ending when everything was resolved was totally worth it. :)

Posted by Speedfreak

Except not everything was resolved. Bittersweet.

i just liked slowing everyone down and putting on the bunny ears. made be feel badass.