MP3 Anti-Hype spoke to soon!!

Posted by Drewboy64

Go to Wii Ware and download the new MP3 preview!!!!

The first video is freaking awesome! Very hyperific!! YEs!

Posted by Speedfreak

Huh. Sneaky f[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]ckers. I guess you shouldn't underestimate Nintendo. I sure hope Nintendo Europe get on the ball with this stuff. It wouldn't do to have WiiConnect24 surprises spoilt by the US all the time.

Posted by Axis

Saw the video, and thought it was quite cool. I don't know if I'll be able to get the game this month though. :/

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

NINTENDO OF EUROOOOOOOPE! :mad:

Posted by Ant

wow, I wonder if this is all because of Matt's complaint, or if they already had this planned or what.

Still, when I woke up and saw the blue flashing light I was wondering what the hell that was about.

Posted by Speedfreak

You can't knock up crap like that in a day, man.

Posted by Ant

yeah, after looking at it just now I realize that. I thought it was just a video with no interface.

Posted by Speedfreak

Perhaps the release of the channel was in response, but I really doubt it.

Posted by Colonel

This video is annoying..with it's buffering n sh!t

Posted by Ant

worked fine for me.

Posted by Colonel

-_- Mabye it just doesn't like me.....

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

It's just a video? Yeah... I wouldn't say it spoke too soon yet. They're still doing a ****ty job of marketing the game, though this is better than nothing,

Posted by Speedfreak

BOL.

Christ you're predictable.

I think this is actually a better marketing tool than most. Everyone who's connected to WiiConnect24 will have this channel on their Wii, whether they're interested or even know about the game or not. To see the Bioshock trailer you have to first know about it, then be interested, then find a place that hosts it and download it yourself. This, however, is basically a much more reliable way of doing a TV commercial, except it can be a lot more detailed and a lot less expensive. And let's face it, when you wake up and find some new **** already installed on your game machine overnight your immediate reaction will be to check it out.

I never thought about WiiConnect24 as a marketing tool before, it's genius.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

oh hai thar, Xbox Live Marketplace and Playstation Network trailers

Gosh, this is nothing new. Nintendo aren't ****ing geniuses for slapping two trailers online. And they're even more stupid for denying Europe WiiWare at the same time as everyone else.

Posted by Zeta

Advertising to everyone via television would still be much more effective than this advertising on Wiis.

Posted by Fate

This game is so deserving of a better appearance. What a shame.

And before any of you fags go crazy, let me tell you this: People like pretty things. They will compare the appearance to other games before they even play them.

Posted by Zeta

The cancer that is killing video games.

Posted by Fate

Or forcing them to progress. Visuals do count, you know, otherwise it would be a non-factor.

Posted by maian

lol I was wondering why it was glowing blue :cookie:

guess I still need to check it out. I'll do it when everyone's watching a movie. I saw it glowing blue, tried Wii Update, said it had nothing, I was like "lol guess I must just still be a wii noob" and turned it off, guessed it was glowing for some other reason.

Quoted post: BOL.

Christ you're predictable.

I think this is actually a better marketing tool than most. Everyone who's connected to WiiConnect24 will have this channel on their Wii, whether they're interested or even know about the game or not. To see the Bioshock trailer you have to first know about it, then be interested, then find a place that hosts it and download it yourself. This, however, is basically a much more reliable way of doing a TV commercial, except it can be a lot more detailed and a lot less expensive. And let's face it, when you wake up and find some new **** already installed on your game machine overnight your immediate reaction will be to check it out.

I never thought about WiiConnect24 as a marketing tool before, it's genius.

omg yeah its so genius! Spoilers: There's, like, four Bioshock videos on live, plus gamerpics and themes. Nintendo ain't doing anything special. Also, Nintendo has a ton of money. A lot less expensive to make a commercial? Nearly every game has a commercial that plays a hundred times before it hits the shelves. That will attract a hell of a lot more interest than marketing to people who already own a Wii. I mean, even the people who post on the internet didn't even know this game was coming out this month. that's bad

Posted by Fate

Really bad. Here I am thinking Metroid is coming out in the fall season and not a single **** ad has made me think otherwise. No dates advertised. Also, giving us something about two weeks before the release is pretty slow.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=The X;641114]oh hai thar, Xbox Live Marketplace and Playstation Network trailers

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;641261]omg yeah its so genius! Spoilers: There's, like, four Bioshock videos on live, plus gamerpics and themes.

My very simple point was that this doesn't need to be downloaded and this doesn't occupy a space on the screen that would otherwise simply register as "internet ad" in your mind. It seems like you'd rather readily disagree with me than see any truth in what I'm saying.

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;641261]Nintendo ain't doing anything special. Also, Nintendo has a ton of money. A lot less expensive to make a commercial? Nearly every game has a commercial that plays a hundred times before it hits the shelves. That will attract a hell of a lot more interest than marketing to people who already own a Wii.

I was praising the idea of using WC24 as a marketing tool, not suggesting that Nintendo don't have the money or the will to make a TV ad. Of course there will be TV ads, but this is another direction to come at consumers.

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;641261]I mean, even the people who post on the internet didn't even know this game was coming out this month. that's bad

It remains to be seen if Nintendo can drum up enough hype in such a short space of time, but this certainly goes a long way towards it.

All I said was that it's a good move. There's no need to get your panties all bunched up just because I said something positive about Nintendo.

[quote=Fate;641194][COLOR=skyblue]This game is so deserving of a better appearance. What a shame.

And before any of you fags go crazy, let me tell you this: People like pretty things. They will compare the appearance to other games before they even play them.[/COLOR]

I think the graphics are pretty. Prettier than a lot of 360/PS3 games I've seen. Believe it or not I'm a total graphics whore, but I really appreciate great looking art much more than entire worlds that look like they've been dipped in wax.

Likewise, before you go crazy, I think art direction counts for much more in graphics than special effects. Sure there's that small group of gamers that look at it and go "where's the bump-mapping?", but most people just see pretty pictures without any idea of what's behind them. Because you actually know something about CGI it's difficult to not have that reaction, I know it is for me. It's not hard to learn to appreciate decent graphics when you see them, regardless of the system behind it.

You could take that attitude and apply it to newer PC games like Crysis (you're probably getting tired of me mentioning it) and say PS3 and 360 are starting to look dated. But it's not fair and not really the point.

Posted by Drewboy64

Anyway, if you're in europe or wherever and you didnt get the videos, they're on gt.tv and such.

I think it's actually a good idea to release this to the Wii, because all the more casual gamers might look into it.

Posted by maian

Eh, they were okay. Trailer's pretty cool. Gawd I hope Samus has voice acting. :( But, by adding what seems to be a story with some depth that's not "sup save this planet", I think it'll be even more awesome than MP1 or 2.

What's with those three other hunters? I hope they don't play a giant part in the story. I heard MPH's extra hunters were just retarded and made of suck. :(

Posted by Zeta

Hoping Samus' contact with Rundus and the other hunters is kept at a minimum. This includes cutscenes; scanning should still be the way most of the game's story is revealed. Fusion and Echoes managed to keep the feeling of isolation pretty well, even with Adam and U-Mos/the temple guardian holograms, but with several hunters and the GF running around, idk...

Also, not sure if want Samus talking.

Quoted post: My very simple point was that this doesn't need to be downloaded and this doesn't occupy a space on the screen that would otherwise simply register as "internet ad" in your mind. It seems like you'd rather readily disagree with me than see any truth in what I'm saying.

Truth? It's hardly different. Making it automatically downloaded doesn't make Nintendo "GENIUSES!" in any way. ****, even Live automatically downloads **** for you, just not "while you're sleeping!" Sorry, but there's not much of a difference. If you're not interested in Metroid you probably aren't going to check it out. Just like on Live or PSN, if you aren't interested in Halo/"Big Sony Title" you aren't going to download the trailer for that game. Sure the Metroid trailer might be viewed by more people than it would if it were a download, but not a substantial amount of people. It isn't suddenly going to boost Metroid to "omg" hype levels. I mean, it's Prime.

Quoted post: I was praising the idea of using WC24 as a marketing tool, not suggesting that Nintendo don't have the money or the will to make a TV ad. Of course there will be TV ads, but this is another direction to come at consumers.

Of course there will be ads? I don't recall ever seeing Prime 1 or 2 ads on TV. And if I did it was da[COLOR="White"]m[/COLOR]n rare. Plus, if you didn't see this coming, Connect24 as a marketing tool, uh, wow?

Quoted post:
but this certainly goes a long way towards it.

All I said was that it's a good move. There's no need to get your panties all bunched up just because I said something positive about Nintendo.

It doesn't go a long way. There's still a very long way to go in a very short amount of time. Also, just wanted to point out that you started this and my comment was generally positive. And that there's nothing genius about this situation at all. lol

Posted by maian

Quoting Zeta: Hoping Samus' contact with Rundus and the other hunters is kept at a minimum. This includes cutscenes; scanning should still be the way most of the game's story is revealed. Fusion and Echoes managed to keep the feeling of isolation pretty well, even with Adam and U-Mos/the temple guardian holograms, but with several hunters and the GF running around, idk...

Also, not sure if want Samus talking.

I would love for Metroid to have a deep, awesome story, but for some reason, I feel as if Nintendo would go very badly with it. And that feeling is quite reinforced with these Bounty Hunters.

I love games with story, but I like that story to feel weaved in with the game, not attatched to it. That's one reason I hated Twilight Princess' story so much, and one thing I generally have against Nintendo. They make the game, or think of the idea for the gameplay, then decide how to throw a story in.

Or maybe it's just because I played MGS and got way into it, and other games don't really do story like MGS does. lol

I don't want Metroid to have a deep story =/ I like Metroid just the way it is.

Posted by Zeta

[quote]They make the game, or think of the idea for the gameplay, then decide how to throw a story in.

Because they know games should focus on gameplay. Plus, why have some unnesessarily deep plot when simplistic ones like "THE PRINCESS HAS BEEN KIDNAPPED ARE YOU A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO RESCUE HER" still works?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Involving story would totally go against what Metroid is about.

Posted by Ant

Quoting Zeta: Because they know games should focus on gameplay. Plus, why have some unnesessarily deep plot when simplistic ones like "THE PRINCESS HAS BEEN KIDNAPPED ARE YOU A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO RESCUE HER" still works?

because it's better

Quoted post: Involving story would totally go against what Metroid is about.

deep story*

I just don't see how it factors in. You need a good handful of characters with some sort of decent, lengthy dialogue to get a good plot going... and since when was Metroid ever been about interactions between characters and dialogue? It's usually isolationism and Samus being silent the whole game. And personally, that's how I like it.

The only way I see it is Half-Life-ish, and that seems weird to me.

Posted by Ant

worked pretty well in Fusion. Set up a story, had the whole computer thing going on, and the whole feeling of being all on your own with this thing just like you chasing your *** around made it even better.

I don't see how that's anywhere close to being deep. I mean, it was deeper than usually... but compared to a bunch of other games, it was still shallow as ****.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;641728]Iou're not interested in Metroid you probably aren't going to check it out.

In that case there's nothing wrong with Nintendo's marketing. Whoever wants the game will buy it, just not necessarily on launch day. Way to break your own arguement with inconsistency.

Both Metroid Prime games had stories, what on earth are you guys talking about? Sure it's no Metal Gear, but Metroid Prime told it's story better than MGS could ever hope to. The game's all about atmosphere and letting the player discovery it in their own time, not cramming text and cutscenes down their throat.

Quoted post: In that case there's nothing wrong with Nintendo's marketing. Whoever wants the game will buy it, just not necessarily on launch day. Way to break your own arguement with inconsistency.

... huh? That's terrible marketing =/ You don't market to those who will buy it, because you're wasting your money and time. You market to those who aren't aware of the product or who are on the fence. The hell? And really, this barely even marketing, releasing a couple videos of, what should be, a big title on the Wii. Hopefully Prime gets more than that.

Quoted post: Both Metroid Prime games had stories, what on earth are you guys talking about? Sure it's no Metal Gear, but Metroid Prime told it's story better than MGS could ever hope to.

No one is saying that Metroid doesn't have stories, just that is doesn't have deep and involving stories. They're pretty simple, and in the case of Metroid, that's a very good thing.

And lol at the mgs comment.

Posted by Fate

Quoting maian: Or maybe it's just because I played MGS and got way into it, and other games don't really do story like MGS does. lol

Careful there, you're starting to sound like Big Boss and me.

And double lol at the MGS thing. Take it out of this conversation, plz.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Speedfreak;641872] Sure it's no Metal Gear, but Metroid Prime told it's story better than MGS could ever hope to.

0_0

I wish MP3 was coming out here before October. :(

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;641878]... huh? That's terrible marketing =/ You don't market to those who will buy it, because you're wasting your money and time. You market to those who aren't aware of the product or who are on the fence. The hell? And really, this barely even marketing, releasing a couple videos of, what should be, a big title on the Wii. Hopefully Prime gets more than that.

So what's wrong with advertising to people who wouldn't normally think about getting a Metroid game but who do own a Wii, then? I just think this form of advertising has a pretty **** clever way of getting inside Wii owners heads. As a standalone marketing campain it's not great, but a seriously doubt that's all Nintendo's got.

Nintendo's strategy has so far been pretty disruptive, they seem to be going against pretty much every industry convention. Who says they even have to use the bulk of their advertising budget for the launch? There's not much point advertising a title for people outside the games main fanbase if the fanbase is gonna snap up all the initial shipments anyway, maybe they have a more Christmas-centric advertising campain they will incorperate the whole library, who knows?

Whatever you say, you still haven't given me a good reason to not think WC24 as an advertising tool is an awesome idea.

[quote=Fate;641897][COLOR=skyblue]And double lol at the MGS thing. Take it out of this conversation, plz.[/COLOR]

Oopsie, did I p[COLOR=lightgreen]i[/COLOR]ss off the Gamer ElitesTM with something controversial again? Get used to it, lots of people are going to disagree with you about anything, quit acting like anything I say that you disagree with is sacrilege.

Sorry, but I won't retract that. I think MGS has some of the most poorly delivered but brilliant storylines around. Interrupting the player at random and removing them from control of the game to show them a cutscene is simply awful. Games like Shadow of the Colossus have much simpler stories, but they're told in a much more meaningful way. Particularly the scene at the end where you're given control (I won't spoil it), it just shows how powerful videogames as a storytelling medium can be.
Before you go off on one, I do realise MGS utilises this method a lot, but it's drowned out by everything else that works against it. Metroid tells it's story in simple but clever way, it allows the player to truly feel like a witness to all the awful events and allows them to experience it at their own pace. The story itself is just some funky sci-fi junk, but them the vast majority of games have pretty retarded plots anyway. There's certainly nothing wrong with it.

Quoted post: but a seriously doubt that's all Nintendo's got.

You'd hope so. Now a demo, that would be interesting.

Quoted post: maybe they have a more Christmas-centric advertising campain they will incorperate the whole library,

That sounds unlikely... If you ask me, it seems like they just want to focus on the games that will reach their target audience, like Wii Play/Fit/Sports etc. I'm not even sure Metroid is a priority for them, really.

Quoted post: Whatever you say, you still haven't given me a good reason to not think WC24 as an advertising tool is an awesome idea.

I'm not saying it's not a good tool, but that it doesn't make Nintendo geniuses, especially since this is nothing new. I just thought it was funny. Very Speedfreak of you to say. Also saying that this isn't the best way to market a title that hasn't gathered much interest.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;642145]I'm not saying it's not a good tool, but that it doesn't make Nintendo geniuses, especially since this is nothing new. I just thought it was funny.

For someone who's "never serious on the internet" you sure do take everything literally.

As far as I know automatically downloading updates and game trailers whilst in standby mode, then giving a small but flashy outward signal to the user that new stuff has arrived is a feature unique to Wii. With Wii its engineered as a surprise, with 360 it's much less so. That's where I think the clever part is, because marketing is all about delivering your message in a way that makes people listen.

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;642145]Very Speedfreak of you to say.

Haha, wow.

Posted by Drewboy64

2 new videos up today, 2 more to come on the 16th.

One was another halo-esque, hardcore trailer showing these things called Aurora Units (one was shown at the end of the first trailer flying through space). I'm willing to bet they're connected with Mother Brain (especially cause of hte end of hte video) and that somehow phazon corruption is connected with turning them bad.

Second video was some sweet spider ball aciton. The armcannon looked like the ice beam except red. I guess the cannon changes as you upgrade it?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

GALACTIC FEDERATION CREATED MOTHERBRAIN

Oh sweet jesus, what is up with these guys? First the X, now this?

Posted by Drewboy64

*** thats so awesome! the cross-section of the future aurora complex is literally the EXACT SAME as mother brain's room from super metroid!

[IMG]http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/7/76/180px-Super_Metroid_Mother_Brain_tank.png[/IMG]

hype!

Hmm, that thing at the end of hte first trailer actually doesn't look like the aurora, now that I saw it again. IT looks alot bigger. Hm.

Quoted post: For someone who's "never serious on the internet" you sure do take everything literally.

As far as I know automatically downloading updates and game trailers whilst in standby mode, then giving a small but flashy outward signal to the user that new stuff has arrived is a feature unique to Wii. With Wii its engineered as a surprise, with 360 it's much less so. That's where I think the clever part is, because marketing is all about delivering your message in a way that makes people listen.

oh right, you weren't serious. Okay, buddy. Sure you weren't. And yeah, I guess it would be a surprise to see some trailers pop up on your console when a whole bunch of people didn't even know the game was coming out in a week. There's really nothing clever about it at all.

Anywho, the whole mother brain thing was a very nice little surprise.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;642845]oh right, you weren't serious. Okay, buddy. Sure you weren't.

I didn't say I wasn't serious. That's your cop-out, remember? I said you shouldn't have taken my saying it's genius so literally. I generally meant it was a cool idea, not that it was comparable to the theory of relativity.

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;642845]And yeah, I guess it would be a surprise to see some trailers pop up on your console when a whole bunch of people didn't even know the game was coming out in a week. There's really nothing clever about it at all.

Well if Vamp doesn't like it then it's worthless to everyone, I suppose.

Posted by Drewboy64

I completely forgot, in the videos where Samus is in skytown, it says "Samus, your highest priority is to get SkyTown's Aurora Unit back online."

Quoted post: I didn't say I wasn't serious. That's your cop-out, remember? I said you shouldn't have taken my saying it's genius so literally. I generally meant it was a cool idea, not that it was comparable to the theory of relativity.

Not so much a cop-out as how I construct just about every post. Once a post gets too long I generally don't read it because I argue for the fun of it, not to have a serious debate. THE MORE YOU KNOW. And saying it's a cool idea is quite a ways off from saying "GENIUS."

Quoted post: Well if Vamp doesn't like it then it's worthless to everyone, I suppose.

Derp derp derp. because I said it was worthless right? Rather than, you know, not enough for a big title whose details are largely unknown by many including fans. As I said earlier in this thread, it's better than nothing, but a far cry from what Nintendo should be doing. This should've came out far earlier and we should've seen commercials on TV a couple weeks ago. But nope.

i mean lol nintendo

Posted by Speedfreak

Why should it have come out earlier? Why do you consider yourself more knowledgable about marketing than people being paid to market the most successful system this generation?

For all I know it could sell millions. Hell, somehow Nintendo got Mario Party 8 to sell like crazy, and look at how terrible that game is. But you know something's wrong when kids on the internet didn't even know it was coming out in a couple week and you have articles written up about its lack of hype.

Then again, I don't recall MP1 and MP2 selling all that well anyways :cookie:

Anywho, this pretty much all started up over me believing that this didn't suddenly increase the levels of hype significantly and nothing more. I still stick by that. Now if they release a demo like Bioshock did...

Posted by Drewboy64

Uh, I think this defintiely did increase the hype. Especially the video with the aurora unit, because now people are speculating about everything the way halo fans do.

Posted by maian

Wait, when is this in the Metroid timeline, anyway?

Wait, what is the Metroid timeline?

Posted by Zeta

Metroid/Zero Mission -> Prime -> Hunters -> Echoes -> Corruption -> Return of Samus -> Super -> Fusion

Posted by S

Quoting Zeta: Metroid/Zero Mission -> Prime -> Hunters -> Echoes -> Corruption -> Return of Samus -> Super -> Fusion

I dislike her new suit in Fusion. ;/

Posted by Zeta

Only thing wrong with it is the color scheme. Blue/Yellow and Yellow/Purple look like ****, but the other two look fine.

Posted by S

Quoting Zeta: Only thing wrong with it is the color scheme. Blue/Yellow and Yellow/Purple look like ****, but the other two look fine.

Spoiler: I mean after it fused with the X, it looks all weird and organic-like. Or did I miss a previous game where that happened?[COLOR="DimGray"][/COLOR]

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;643033]Then again, I don't recall MP1 and MP2 selling all that well anyways

Prime 1 sold millions, it was a Gamecube system seller. It sold 1.5 mil in just America. 2 wasn't, it sort of got lost in the s[COLOR=lightgreen]h[/COLOR]itstorm that was Halo 2.

It's really not that difficult for Prime 3 to outsell 1, though. Considering the new user-friendly controls and the more FPS-like gameplay. If and when the reviews reflect the previews and it turns out to be "the best playing console shooter ever" and proves that Wii can do FPSs just as well as PCs can people are bound to take notice.

EDIT:

[quote=Kotaku's Michael McWhertor]It's confirmed: My interest in Metroid Prime 3 has never been so high.

Looks like they're doing something right.

Here's a possibility no-one considered: what if for the entire month up til release we're given great news after great news about the title, revealing everything they've been so quiet about so far? Sudden bursts of hype have been done before and they work well. All the Metroid fans I've seen so far are suddenly a lot more excited about it, today's update put them into overdrive.

Posted by Axis

What they're doing right now is fine. A lot of people are starting to get excited.

Look at BioShock, there were a lot of people who were unsure about the game. Example: sOul, Last Fog, etc. There were a lot people that were clueless about the game. Once the demo hit, sh[B][B][B]i
[/B][/B]t hit the fan. Now it's the title everyone's talking about. I slowly see this happening with Metroid.[/B]

Posted by Fate

It's not that, it's that practically nothing was reported on the new Metroid game compared to BioShock. We even got a frickin' demo. It sucks that hardcore-esque titles like Metroid don't get the coverage deserved, very unlike Mario titles. What, is it because Samus has a gun or something? Whatev. :/

Posted by Axis

Metroid didn't get the coverage it deserved because Nintendo hardly released any info about it.

Posted by Fate

That's what sucks! The game is so deserving!

Posted by Ant

it's no wiifit, that's for sure lol

Posted by Zeta

Japan haet Metroid.

Posted by Ant

hmm, anyone know how well prime sold in japan?

Quoted post:
Uh, I think this defintiely did increase the hype. Especially the video with the aurora unit, because now people are speculating about everything the way halo fans do.

significantly. The only people who know what Mother Brain is and can tie it to Aurora Unit is fans of the series. Otherwise it doesn't mean much to anyone else.

Quoted post: It's not that, it's that practically nothing was reported on the new Metroid game compared to BioShock. We even got a frickin' demo. It sucks that hardcore-esque titles like Metroid don't get the coverage deserved, very unlike Mario titles. What, is it because Samus has a gun or something? Whatev. :/

Which is more or less my point. I'm not complaining about the current trailers because they're pretty cool, it's just a shame that Nintendo didn't talk about it more.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Ant;643376]hmm, anyone know how well prime sold in japan?

1.2 million units. Adding that with North America and Europe's sales, it's just over 3 million units. That's almost as many Halo preorders!

"To answer one of your other comments, we still have a lot of our more traditional marketing efforts planned. People will see it all shortly, from ads to many of the usual tactics we use to support our key products. Plus: a few more surprises like the Metroid Prime 3 Preview. And no, I'm still not going to spoil the fun and tell you about it ahead of time!"

And thus, I'm fairly satisfied. Just wanted the game to get the attention it deserves.

Posted by Speedfreak

Told ya, they're blitzing us with hype instead of steadily building it up. The former is a much better technique for original games or series that are usually unpopular. The exact opposite is being done with games like Smash Bros Bawl, MGS4 and Halo 3.

On the topic of demos, Nintendo don't release unfinished code. Ever. That's always been their policy on them. Nintendo demos are always there after the final product. A demo isn't needed for hype anyway, unless you think that no Nintendo game ever has had a lot of hype. I know plenty of people who are avoiding the BioShock demo at all costs. I think I probably will too.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Demos definitely are a good generator of hype. Hellooooo Bioshock.

Posted by Speedfreak

But it's not the only way, and not necessarily the best way either. If a Metroid demo was available I can't say I'd jump at the chance to play it. I think they're much better at convincing people on the fence, not generating hype.

Quoted post: But it's not the only way, and not necessarily the best way either. If a Metroid demo was available I can't say I'd jump at the chance to play it. I think they're much better at convincing people on the fence, not generating hype.

Except in the case of Bioshock it has created a ton of hype and really started convincing people that this game is going to be amazing. It's not a case of jumping at the chance, but merely downloading whatever new demo hits the marketplace. Many people do it and it works.

and lol at avoiding the demo.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;643667]Except in the case of Bioshock it has created a ton of hype and really started convincing people that this game is going to be amazing. It's not a case of jumping at the chance, but merely downloading whatever new demo hits the marketplace. Many people do it and it works.

"Not the only way", "not necessarily the best way". It's obviously different for every game. I don't think Metroid should have a demo just because some other game does.

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;643667] and lol at avoiding the demo.

A lot of people would rather not play through the first chapter of a game and then have gameplay arrested for a week while they wait for it to actually come out. It makes a lot of sense.

Quoted post: "Not the only way", "not necessarily the best way". It's obviously different for every game. I don't think Metroid should have a demo just because some other game does.

Right, but Metroid and Bioshock were in pretty much the exact same position. They're both first-person adventure/shooter titles that weren't getting much interest (among other similarities.) The many previews and interviews helped Bioshock, but it wasn't until this demo hit that people have been seriously excited for it. Metroid wouldn't be any different.

Quoted post: A lot of people would rather not play through the first chapter of a game and then have gameplay arrested for a week while they wait for it to actually come out. It makes a lot of sense.

First chapter? It wasn't even the whole first level. It was, like, twenty minutes of gameplay. Plus, i read it more negatively then I guess it was intended.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;643673]Right, but Metroid and Bioshock were in pretty much the exact same position. They're both first-person adventure/shooter titles that weren't getting much interest (among other similarities.) The many previews and interviews helped Bioshock, but it wasn't until this demo hit that people have been seriously excited for it. Metroid wouldn't be any different.

Metroid is made by Nintendo. That makes all the difference in the world. They never do anything just because someone else is doing it.

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;643673] First chapter? It wasn't even the whole first level. It was, like, twenty minutes of gameplay. Plus, i read it more negatively then I guess it was intended.

You took that too literally. I was talking about demos in general. They're usually the first chapter or so of the game.

Quoted post: Metroid is made by Nintendo. That makes all the difference in the world. They never do anything just because someone else is doing it.

Right, but it would definitely create a heck of a lot of excitement. Hell, showing Mother Brain made all the metroid fans cream their pants, imagine a demo that's automatically downloaded?

Though, whatever, even the worst games made still sell hundreds of thousands of copies. Nintendo could probably ignore this game completely and people would buy the **** out of it just because it's on the Wii.

Posted by maian

idk, I want a demo :(

I'm still convinced this game will sell like mad. Honestly, I don't think there's reason to worry about hype. =/ Every fan will buy it. For months it's been "MP3 SMG SSBB OHSHI". It certainly hasn't been ignored, and I know it won't be for new Wii players. It's easy to know when a good game comes out.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Speedfreak;643677]You took that too literally. I was talking about demos in general. They're usually the first chapter or so of the game.

You must get some seriously good value for money demos. Most of the ones I play last about twenty minutes, and cover a 'scene' rather than an entire chapter of a game. Bioshock's went on for quite a while, and still barely scratched the surface.

Actually, twenty minutes is on the upper tier or xbawks demos. They're usually five to ten minutes. The only exceptions really are Bioshock, Prey (which was, like, 20% of the game) and a couple others.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;643748]Right, but it would definitely create a heck of a lot of excitement. Hell, showing Mother Brain made all the metroid fans cream their pants, imagine a demo that's automatically downloaded?

I agree, a demo certainly wouldn't be a bad thing. It's just not needed or the only way to generate hype, that's all.

[quote=The X;643944]and cover a 'scene' rather than an entire chapter of a game.

Oh come on. I wasn't even trying to make a point about the length of demo's, quit being so pedantic.

Posted by Colonel

12 days 'til total Corruption

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: significantly. The only people who know what Mother Brain is and can tie it to Aurora Unit is fans of the series. Otherwise it doesn't mean much to anyone else.

When I saw the Aurora video on the wii channel all I could think about was mother brain and her abscence in the past few Prime games. YAy! they're bringing Mother brain back! sorta!

Posted by Speedfreak

First hour of Metroid gameplay. Enjoy:

http://www.gamesradar.com/us/wii/game/news/article.jsp?sectionId=1006&articleId=20070817*****738007&releaseId=200605092056126030

Posted by Drewboy64

I want to watch that hour so badly...

[COLOR="DimGray"]Anyway, pirates stole aurora 313. At the end of the Valhalla video, you'll notice some metroids floating to the camera.

THe bowling mechanism looks awesome.[/COLOR]

Posted by maian

Heh. Maybe I should actually play Metroid/Super Metroid to figure out why this is all so important. :X

Posted by Zeta

People that haven't played Super Metroid don't deserve to play video games at all.

Posted by Drewboy64

I'm playin Super Metroid on VC right now... Wasn't old enough to game in the SNES days.

Posted by maian

stfu zetafag

I've never gotten the chance. :( I've played it before, but I've never owned it. I've been trying to get Wii Points, and Super Metroid will probably be the game I get, aside from interbuttz channel that I have to pay for :mad::mad::mad:

Posted by Ant

Meh, internet channel is okay. But not worth money.

And just get the rom, duh. Though I never really beat it either, but then again, I don't care :cool:

Still, cool how they're bringing back mother brain.

Posted by maian

eh

I want internet channel because the only internet we have in this house is right in our central room, and we just have one family computer. There's many times I want to do something on the internet or check something, but my little sister will be doing something faglike, like ToonTown. :( Not to mention half the time my dad won't let me stay up on the interwebz, so if I actually want to, I have to wait until I'm alone at night.

I GET INTERNETS ON WII ALL PROBLEMS ARE SOLVED BASEMENT GET

...this decision is also relying heavily on the fact that Colonel's statement is true that USB keyboards work now. >_>

Posted by Ant

are you sure they work on the internet channel? as far as I heard they only work for sending messages and searching on the shop channel.

Posted by s0ul

Yeah, they don't work on internet channel.

Posted by Ant

*** maian is an idiot

Posted by s0ul

yeah what the **** USB keyboards on internet channel i mean why the **** would they even think about that being compatible what a ****ing dumbass

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Uhhh, guys? USB keyboards do work. That was one of the 3.0 updates.

Posted by Drewboy64

Quoting The X: Uhhh, guys? USB keyboards do work. That was one of the 3.0 updates.

Not in the internet channel, though, for some reason.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

0_0

What's the point in them, then?

Posted by Ant

Quoting Ant: as far as I heard they only work for sending messages and searching on the shop channel.

Posted by Speedfreak

I presume they're working on it for the internet channel and it'll come soon enough.

Drewboy: Thanks for spoiling the preview video for me. If you spoil the game in the two months I have to wait for it I swear to God I will fuck you up.

Posted by Drewboy64

My bad. Didn't you watch the first hour already though? I figured that had plenty of spoilers.

Posted by Speedfreak

First hour sorta stopped working, I only saw the first 20 minutes.

Posted by maian

k got internets channel

Sucks not having USB keyboard. :mad:

Nonetheless, I think it's totally worth it in about every way right now.

I have $15 left, and I'm plagued with hard choices. :(

Super Metroid and LoZ? LTTP and Metroid? SMB and one of the above? An N64 game with an NES game? AAH

I have an emulator, but I can't stop myself from cheating. :( save state lol

Posted by Ant

if you don't have paper mario I'd get that for sure.

Posted by Zeta

LTTP & Metroid = Great game and game that has aged horribly.

SM & LoZ = Greatest game and game that has aged less horribly.

Posted by Speedfreak

Super Metroid and Super Mario Bros = two of the greatest games in the world that haven't aged.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Zeta;655250]LTTP & Metroid = Great game and game that has aged horribly.

SM & LoZ = Greatest game and game that has aged less horribly.

LTTP has aged horribly? Maybe it's because I played the GBA remake, but I never thought that when I replayed it pre-Twilight Princess. The original LoZ is too difficult for me without my huge wallchart of Hyrule.

Posted by Zeta

I was referring to Metroid.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

whoops, your weird structure threw me for a hoop. :(

Posted by Zeta

:cookie:

That reminds me, I need to download Super Mario World. 100 years from now that game will still look awesome.

Posted by Fate

Quoting Speedfreak: Super Metroid and Super Mario Bros = two of the greatest games in the world that haven't aged.

For me it was Super Mario Bros. 3 and Yoshi's Island. :3

As much as I like SMB3 it just doesn't hold the same sense of nostalgia for me like SMW and SMB does. Yoshi's Island is probably above SMB3 for me actually. And I'd probably rank Yoshi's Story on par with SMB3 too.

Posted by maian

lol I bought mario kart 64 and smb

I would've gotten SM, but idk, ROMs are so easy to get.

And, MK64 is one of those multiplayer games you can pick up and play. It's the closest thing I have to multiplayer on my wii.

And it's my official goal to play SMB all the way through without warp points. Never done it.

(i typed this on the wii LOLOL)

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Fate;655396][COLOR=skyblue]For me it was Super Mario Bros. 3 and Yoshi's Island.[/COLOR] :3

Those are amazing too, but they're not on VC now are they?;)

[quote=maian;663377]lol I bought mario kart 64 and smb

I would've gotten SM, but idk, ROMs are so easy to get.

THEN WHY DID YOU GET SUPER MARIOQRGQERGQERYWRTJASZFD

Posted by Drewboy64

Oh my *** this game is amazing! I won't say any spoilers, but I got it a day early at Walmart. They had stacks of it! The controls are amazing, and it's so epic!!!

Metroid Prime 3: Cumjaculation.

Posted by maian

huh

nice

I wouldn't be surprised if ours had it, then. Anyway, I'm buying it tomorrow, during my break. Shame I won't be able to play it until like, 10:00. >_> I read the review, and it looks and sounds amazing. IGN says it has the best control of any console FPS, ever.

I'm excited. :)

Posted by Drewboy64

They're right about the controls. To tell you the truth, I think there could be even better controls on future games, but MP3 has the best FPS controls ever so far.

Man, [COLOR="DimGray"]using hyper mode is so awesome, I could feel the power of phazon in my wiimote [/COLOR]and in my pants.

Posted by Fate

Quoting maian: I wouldn't be surprised if ours had it, then. Anyway, I'm buying it tomorrow, during my break. Shame I won't be able to play it until like, 10:00. >_> I read the review, and it looks and sounds amazing. IGN says it has the best control of any console FPS, ever.

I'm excited. :)

IGN is also IGN. I have my doubts, but I'll see for myself.

Posted by maian

Truth, but I've seen just as good reviews in other places. Most IGN game reviews have suited me well.

Posted by Drewboy64

MP3 really does have the best controls ever. You may have to take one minute at most to get used to them, but they're freaking good.

Quoted post: Most IGN game reviews have suited me well.

Me too actually.

Anywho, picked this game up early this morning. Not sure if I can get my friend's wii back or not, but hey, at least I bought it.

Posted by Speedfreak

Gamespot gave it 8.5 for not being Metroidy enough. I actually laughed out loud. These are the same guys who gave Twilight Princess 88 for being too Zelda-like, and then gave Okami the game of the year award for being like, you guessed it, Zelda.

Imagine if Corruption didn't have all the shooting sections, I bet GS would've complained about a lack of oppertunities to use the Wii remote. They're on a different planet.

Anyway, now that Vamp's got the game I guess I'll leave this thread for the next two months.

Posted by Zeta

They complained about the controls being perfect, making the game easier.

wut

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I'm pretty sure post-8.8, Gamespot have been pushing their scores down to generate traffic. They docked points from Bioshock because it crashed on their XBox. jesus christ

Posted by Colonel

This game is glorious in everyway. Best buy for my Wii so far. It's so epic and in depth..it's..it's just fantastic.

Posted by Drewboy64

Best game ever created, or at least best game I've ever played. Controls are farking amazing, so natural. This game is freaking awesome, and the graphics are amazing, too.

hyper mode is sex. Phazjaculation

Gamespot's reviews are pretty ****ed up as of late. Every since Twilight Princess if you ask me. It's not even a case of them being harsh or "reclaiming [insert average score]" they've just been docking points for really lame reasons.

And don't worry Speedy. Unless I can get ahold wii I can't even play it!

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Drewboy64;735139]Best game ever created, or at least best game I've ever played. Controls are farking amazing, so natural. This game is freaking awesome, and the graphics are amazing, too.

[quote=Drewboy64's sig][SIZE=4][COLOR=Lime][FONT=Book Antiqua]Zelda is the greatest game of all time. It is perfect in all ways.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=4][COLOR=Lime][FONT=Book Antiqua]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=Silver]It would appear every game you play is the greatest.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Posted by nich

It actually is a really good game. Better than Twilight Princess, in my opinion at least. The controls take a little getting used to, but when you do, the precision you can achieve is incredible.

Posted by maian

Got it yesterday. Unfortunately, I couldn't play it until 10:00 due to work.

But what I played was great. I still have to get used to the controls a bit more, but they're already working pretty dang well. I'm liking the ability to jump automatically in morph ball mode too.

...But, since I was working, I didn't end up playing much before I fell asleep. I'm at the first generator on the uh, first planet as of last night. I'm looking forward to more.

Posted by Colonel

Quoting maian: . I still have to get used to the controls a bit more, but they're already working pretty dang well..

What sensitivity are you using? Because Advanced is much more supreme than all the rest.

Posted by maian

Yeah, I'm using advanced. I didn't even try the others because I read advanced is so great. I also read basic is like Red Steel, and I wanted to shoot myself with all the screen dragging. Like I said, I just have to get a feel of it a little bit more. But I'm already pretty good for the most part. Basically the only part I still need to get full control of is shooting/jumping. I have it set to B = Jump and A = Shoot. I tried it the other way around, and it felt totally unnatural. So yeah, I think I'll soon be able to do it with ease, it's not much of a problem.

Posted by Colonel

I actually like using B as shoot because it feels more like the trigger of a gun.

Posted by maian

I kind of liked it too, but was more used to Gamecube's giant A Button to blast, and I found rapid fire much more easy with the A button.

Posted by Colonel

Actually I never really thought how much easier it would be to rapid fire. Oh well, i'm more used to Red Steel's B botton fire anyway.

B for shoot reminds me of the good ol' Goldeneye/Perfect Dark days.

Posted by Drewboy64

Quoting The X: [SIZE=4][COLOR=Lime][FONT=Book Antiqua]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=Silver]It would appear every game you play is the greatest.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Well, when I say greatest game ever I'm not exactly making the most official statement ever. But yeah, Metroid Prime 3 came after Zelda TP, and I think it's a better game, or at least the current excitement of playing it makes me think so. Also, I tried changing my signature, but it wouldn't let me.

Anyway, I've beaten [COLOR="DimGray"]the huge golem at the end of the first time you go to Bryya. The cut scene is freaking amazing, it shows her without her helmet puking up phazon vomit. And when you see her reflection after that, you can see a phazon scar on her face.[/COLOR]

Posted by maian

Heh, I'm taking it slowly. I kind of have to, because of school and all the crap I have to do. Needless to say, I'm loving it. I'me one of those people who scans everything in every room, so I'm really just up to the fire part in Bryyo. It's nice knowing there's so much more to come. :)

Posted by Colonel

I scan everything in every room because you can get tokens for scanning certain things.

Posted by Speedfreak

So how's this token shit work? I've heard barely anything about it. Is it basically like trophies in Smash Bros?

Posted by maian

..idk

I'd like it a lot more if there was actually a way to find out what you need to do to get them. Like a list where it says, "Kill 500 enemies: Red Token" or whatever. Instead, you get a token for random crap (sometimes you don't even know why), and you can use them in the shop to buy stuff like concept art, soundtracks, and things for Samus' ship such as bobbleheads. I've yet to do anything with them, but I will eventually.

Colonel: I'll have my friend code by today.

Posted by Ant

ant needs someone to trade with as well.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=maian;737787]..idk

I'd like it a lot more if there was actually a way to find out what you need to do to get them. Like a list where it says, "Kill 500 enemies: Red Token" or whatever. Instead, you get a token for random crap (sometimes you don't even know why), and you can use them in the shop to buy stuff like concept art, soundtracks, and things for Samus' ship such as bobbleheads. I've yet to do anything with them, but I will eventually.

Colonel: I'll have my friend code by today.

Sweet. Unlockable concept art pisses all over meaningless achievements any day.

Posted by Ant

really grabbing for straws now aren't we?

Posted by Colonel

PSSSST ant: trade me you're already on my friend list.

PSSST Maian: POST THE **** CODE

Posted by Colonel

Quoting The X: SORRY METROID FANS THIS THREAD IS NOW ABOUT XBOX AGAIN SORRY

:mad:

Posted by maian

k colonel posted my code in the friend code thread lol

...or does the game have a different one?

Posted by Ant

I hate you guys

Posted by Ant

Quoting Colonel: PSSSST ant: trade me you're already on my friend list.

PSSST Maian: POST THE **** CODE

Yeah, I noticed. I think I have 15 now? idk. so I'll trade with you as long as I get them back in return.

to everyone else. I hate you

Posted by Colonel

I gave you a few just now.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Colonel;738266]:mad:

Speedy's Super Mod powers > Vamp's thread derailing powers

Posted by maian

lol colonel add me and I'll add you or something lol

Posted by Colonel

I added you Maian.

Ant: According to my Wii it says you don't have MP3?

IS THIS SOME KIND OF SICK JOKE!!!!

Posted by Ant

I changed the setting to say that I do...weird. I suppose I should fix that.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Speedfreak: Gamespot gave it 8.5 for not being Metroidy enough. I actually laughed out loud. These are the same guys who gave Twilight Princess 88 for being too Zelda-like, and then gave Okami the game of the year award for being like, you guessed it, Zelda.

That's not true. Okami resembles Zelda in its level progression, but it got a high score (and not GOTY, which was given to Gears of War) for its innovative use of the brush, which affected gameplay and exploration, and its beautiful take on Japanese folklore to deliver a game that just felt completely different, despite having its player advancement structure similar to Zelda.

Posted by Speedfreak

Perhaps I got the GOTY mixed up with IGN, then. But I still think Gamespot are off their rocker, like most of the mainstream press. They actually took points off Metroid because the controls were so good that they made the game easier, despite the fact that one of the series' major criticisms was that it didn't have dual analog control ie freelook.

Gamespot has gone ****ing nuts. Simple as that. I don't even think their reviews are valid anymore.

Posted by Speedfreak

Oh great, so you can't use my disagreement with their crazy scores as proof that I'm a fanboy anymore?

When did I ever do that? I haven't even read any of their reviews since TP got an 8.8.

Posted by Speedfreak

Heh, maybe it was Rayden.

Posted by Ant

so I uh beat the game today with 86% in about 17 hours or so. not too bad for my first time I believe.

spoilers for those of you who haven't beat the game yet: [spoiler]dark samus is actually samus's mother[/spoiler]

Posted by Drewboy64

Man, I'm already at 70% items. I don't want to beat the game yet. I just got the [COLOR="DimGray"]energy-sucking grapple and am getting the acid shield[/COLOR].

Anyway, the achievements are sweet. I got 3 [MINOR SPOILER] achievements for stylish kills. One of them was crash landing, where I shot this flying pirate and he turned around and i was able to rip off his jet pack. Another was icey reptilicide, where I froze one of the dudes on Bryyo while he threw his boomerang, and it came back and sliced him up. Another was bowling for bots. [END SPOILER]

This game is amazing, although I still think controls could be better for a traditional FPS.

Posted by Colonel

I'm actually at the part where [spoiler] I have to go to Norion and Sky City to look for energy cells to use at Valhalla.[/spoiler]

Posted by maian

Bah, my Wii was confiscated today. -_-

My parents are bloody Nazis, so who knows when the crap I'll get it back. Either way, I bought a Mii bobblehead today. lol

Posted by Colonel

DID YOU GET MY WII MAAAAILS!!??

AND SEND ME MY VOUCHERS!!!???

Posted by maian

yup

Posted by Fred333

Maian that sucks about the confiscation. When do you get it back?

Posted by Ant

when he becomes a real boy

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

What did you lose your Wii for? Does your dad believe now that you have a job, your income isn't adequate financial support for the family?

Posted by Zeta

He got caught smoking a bowl.

Posted by maian

grades lol :(

Two Fs and a D. However, one F is due to a teacher losing my assignments, which should be corrected soon. But, my dad's reasoning is, "What? So it's your TEACHER'S fault?" "...yeah."

As for the other two, it's so early in the year that they're based on two assignments, max. Within the week I should have it back.

Doesn't really matter though. It's hidden behind the big screen TV. :) It's an older one, so has the massive backside. No one will go back there. I never knew how beautiful it was to be able to remotely turn on a console. It's amazing.

Quoted post: However, one F is due to a teacher losing my assignments, which should be corrected soon.

Good times. I remember one of my teachers losing a year-long assignment of mine, forcing me to make another and then just when I finish he's like "oh woops here it is lol"

Your dad's a dick.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I've never had an F. The lowest I ever got was a C. :(

... on the ABCD scale.

Posted by Drewboy64

For those of you who've beaten it with 100% (I did it just last night), [COLOR="DimGray"]What do you think that ship at the end was? Lots of people say it's Sylux's ship, but I doubt they'd carry over anything from MPH to another game. It probably looks similar because, as with Rhundus and Noxus, the same concept artist drew the ships.[/COLOR]

Freaking amazing game.