IGN: Metroid Prime 3: The Anti-Hype

Posted by Axis

http://wii.ign.com/articles/811/811682p1.html

A very, very, good article. What are your opinions about it?

Excerpts:

[quote]The point we're making is that by no estimation is Corruption a throwaway sequel. Clearly, a lot of development time and resources have gone into the creation of this sequel, the third and final act in the Prime trilogy. But here we are, three weeks away, and we remain excited for the product practically in spite of Nintendo's lackluster efforts.
[quote]When all reactions have proven to be positive, it's a mystery why the company hasn't done more to build and maintain excitement for a project that has the potential to be one of 2007's biggest.

[quote]Earlier today, we posted a poll on the IGN message boards. [B]We asked, Has Nintendo Hyped Metroid Prime 3: Corruption to Your Satisfaction? Of some 200 quick replies, almost 95% (about 190 polled) said no.
Only 10 people said yes. One poster joked, "There's a Metroid Prime 3 coming?" Another wrote, "If Metroid Prime 3 does worse than MP2: Echoes, Nintendo only has themselves to blame." One more added, "If I did not go on the Internet and search out info on the game, I would not really even know of its existence. Mario Party 8, on the other hand..."

[quote]What is most unnerving about the lack of awareness and hype for Prime 3 is that as we head into the final stretch, we still don't have any idea what Nintendo's plans are for the game, if any. We've heard no mention of developer blogs or studio tours, no hints of a major advertising campaign, and we're still not even sure when we'll get the game for review -- a frightening thought given that the Prime games have always been long affairs that require dedicated attention to complete.

[quote]We hope so. Still, at this point, comparing the levels of hype between Halo 3 and Corruption would be like comparing an ocean to a swimming pool -- a sad truth when you consider that the Prime games have always been every bit as good as the Halo ones, if not better. We have to think that the Retro Studios team that has poured its heart into this latest title is at the very least unimpressed with Nintendo's present sidelining of it. Here's hoping that Nintendo can turn perceptions around in the time it still has.[/B]

Posted by Ant

Yeah, just got done reading that. Nothing new from Nintendo though.

Posted by Zeta

Nintendo has pretty much always sucked at marketing.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Wait, Nintendo not marketing a Prime game? Get the **** outta here.

Seriously, this is nothing new. A shame indeed, but whatever. Nintendo is still going to make a ton of money whether this game sells or not. I don't think they really even care about marketing to hardcore fans anymore.

Posted by s0ul

Quoting Zeta: Nintendo has pretty much always sucked at marketing.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=69_l1oZ2b2M

You look me in the eyes and say that again.

Posted by Ant

knew it even before I clicked the link :(

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;640380]Wait, Nintendo not marketing a Prime game? Get the **** outta here.

Whoa, whoa. Be fair here, the first Prime ad was the best videogame ad ever created by a long shot.

[URL]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=op-1liVGcxM[/URL]

I'm in the UK so I hadn't really noticed, games don't get the kind of marketing over here that they do in America anyway so I'm pretty used to having to find out for myself. The game's not out for another month or two and there's still Nintendo's autumn/winter press event, I figured the hype would be there. I completely forgot that the game's out in less than 2 weeks in America, the total lack of hype is worrying.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

You guys are lucky. :(

Posted by Drewboy64

Quoting Speedfreak: Whoa, whoa. Be fair here, the first Prime ad was the best videogame ad ever created by a long shot.

[URL]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=op-1liVGcxM[/URL]

I'm in the UK so I hadn't really noticed, games don't get the kind of marketing over here that they do in America anyway so I'm pretty used to having to find out for myself. The game's not out for another month or two and there's still Nintendo's autumn/winter press event, I figured the hype would be there. I completely forgot that the game's out in less than 2 weeks in America, the total lack of hype is worrying.

*** yes, that commercial was sweet.

I absolutely agree with the article, though. I wish there was some hype about MP3. Maybe the metroid website or retro's webstie could say something about it, at least?

Halo 3 is being hyped up 10000x more, though that's not really a surprise.

Posted by Speedfreak

Metroid isn't really a Halo 3 killer because it's an entirely different kind of game and lacks multiplayer, but there are other title titles it could quite easily compete with.

Metroid could and should be marketed as a Bioshock killer, they're out around the same time and both have an emphasis on single player. They both have that creepy, lonely vibe going for them too. Hell, they're both even the third game in a series.

When IGN says the game "plays better than any first-person console game ever... really" then you know it's got serious potential. I don't even get any sense of hype until I go and look for previews. Where the hell's the marketing, Nintendo?

Posted by Fate

whoa wait wtf

The game is going to be released in about two weeks?

Posted by Speedfreak

2 weeks and 4 days, apparantly it slipped 7 days from the original 20th of August release date. That's 3 days before Bioshock.

Posted by Zeta

I never saw that Prime commercial on TV at all.

Posted by Axis

Quoting Speedfreak: 2 weeks and 4 days, apparantly it slipped 7 days from the original 20th of August release date. That's 3 days before Bioshock.

BioShock comes out on the 22nd I believe.

Posted by Speedfreak

Ah, the demo is on the 30th, the game itself is on the 21st for NA and 24th for Europe. So Metroid is now 6 days after Bioshock.

F*cking sort it out, Nintendo.

Posted by maian

I don't know, and I also didn't read the article so forgive me if this is completely off topic, but I'm kind of excited for the lack of crap I know about this game. Maybe it's just because I haven't been tracking it, but, a game is much more enjoyable in my opinion, the less you know about it.

I learned every little facet of Twilight Princess, and every little detail, and it ended up being a large disappointment. It almost killed the game completely. Luckily, I looked past all that and realized it was a good game. But I'm looking at this, and pretty much all I know about it is "It's Metroid Prime 3", so it's bound to be awesome, and I'll immerse myself at whatever it throws at me.

Posted by Drewboy64

Yeah for some reason I wasnt that hyped about TP and I loved the game. But still, I'd like a few teasers or something for Metroid Prime 3.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Whoa, whoa. Be fair here, the first Prime ad was the best videogame ad ever created by a long shot.

Good commercial, but I don't recall ever seeing it or any other Prime ad on TV or in other media outside the internet.

Also, I agree about Prime 3 being a Bioshock killer, except I'm not even sure how much hype that game has. Though at least there's been a hell of a lot more videos about Bioshock than Metroid, otherwise no one would care about either.

Posted by Zeta

Quoting maian: Maybe it's just because I haven't been tracking it, but, a game is much more enjoyable in my opinion, the less you know about it.

**** yes. They pretty much revealed everything in MP2 before release, excluding Emperor Ing. That really hurt it.

Posted by Last Fog

Oh wow this game is out in two weeks? I thought it came out... well I really had no clue... but I figured towards the end of the year.

Posted by Reve

See I loved Prime. I was so excited when it first came out after hearing so much about it. I have to agree with the artical on this one the lack of advertisement and all is disapointing.

Until about three days ago I didn't even know it was coming out this month. I was shocked because I thought it was coming out next year or something due to the lack of advertising.

Posted by Random

Nintendo simply mass markets games that are seemly unpopular, and allows those games to sell fairly well. Meanwhile games such as the MP series seems to have poor marketing. Why does Nintendo do this??

MP is not a horrible game. I'm not a huge huge fan of it, but I did enjoy it to an extent. But for Nintendo this is a HUGE game for them. There are many MP fans out there who plan to purchase this game. If Nintendo wants to crush sales with MP3, they'll need to advertise the life out of it.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

I thought the Metroid Prime 2 commercials were pretty heavy stuff, and I saw them a lot. I haven't seen any MP3 commercials yet, though I'm sure they're coming.