My endless search for an instant messenger.

Posted by Proto Man

Ever since Trillian went 3.0, I have been trying to find a new instant messenger for my computer at my dad's house. Basically I am looking for an all-in-one IM that doesn't eat up resources. (Reason I got rid of trillian.) All suggestions are appreciated.

Posted by Hyper

Why not just get the different clients seperately?

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Hyper: Why not just get the different clients seperately?

#1. I don't think my computer would be able to handle seperate messengers

#2. I would have to deal with AIM's junk.

#3. It would be a lot more conveniant.

I will keep your suggestion in mind though.

Posted by brownoystercult

Give this a try : http://miranda-im.org/

Posted by Trigger

There's a program called Easy Messenger, it apparently does multiple Messenger clients in the one. I've yet to figure out how to switch between each contact list, though. I wouldn't recommend it but it's an opinion, I suppose.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Uchiha Itachi: Give this a try : http://miranda-im.org/

I just got Miranda, and I actually like it. Pretty simple, and I figured out how to add on Yahoo as well. Only problem is with AIM, I cannot figure out how to get my buddy icon working. Does it not have that feature? Anyhow if not, that's ok, it's only for the weekend.

Posted by NegativeTrend

Should have tried Miranda on 3-07-05 when I posted in on GO. ;) I sill prefer Gaim over it though.

Posted by The Judge

Just deal with AIM. Then we can talk and have cyber sex. ;)

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting NegativeTrend: Should have tried Miranda on 3-07-05 when I posted in on GO. ;) I sill prefer Gaim over it though.

I tried Gaim though, never could get it to open. Thanks anyhow.

Posted by NegativeTrend

GTK 2.6.2 + Win98/ME = Wingaim crash - WinGaim builds starting with version 1.1.3 require GTK 2.6.x. There is currently an issue with GTK 2.6.2 that renders it non-functional on Windows 98 and ME. Until this issue is resolved, we recommend that you continue to use Gaim 1.1.2 with GTK 2.4.14 on these systems.
Maybe try an earlier GTK runtime?

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting NegativeTrend: GTK 2.6.2 + Win98/ME = Wingaim crash - WinGaim builds starting with version 1.1.3 require GTK 2.6.x. There is currently an issue with GTK 2.6.2 that renders it non-functional on Windows 98 and ME. Until this issue is resolved, we recommend that you continue to use Gaim 1.1.2 with GTK 2.4.14 on these systems.
Maybe try an earlier GTK runtime?

Nah... I think I will just stick with Miranda. It is bare bones, but it seems to work fine for what I need. On my laptop, I still have Trillian BTW since it can handle such a massive program.

Posted by loony636

I never liked Trillian because it didn't give you any of the AIM or Yahoo messanger features. The only thing I liked about it was the custom away message thing.

Posted by captain caveman

go to oldversion.com to get an older more basic version of aim

Posted by higbvuyb

he wants an all in one messenger, you retard.

Posted by captain caveman

Quoting higbvuyb: he wants an all in one messenger, you retard.

I suggested that, because he said one reason he doesn't deal with the individual clients is he dosn't want to deal with aim junk. The older versions of aim have less garbage on them