RE5: Racist?

Posted by Echo

[URL="http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/01/african-womens-blog-upset-over-resident-evil-5/"]Discuss.[/URL]

I really don't have much to add, as the article basically conveys my feelings. In a situation where the zombies are exclusively white no one gets offended, but when they're black it's wrong. And of course the ignorance of the offended party is clearly demonstrated when they claim that RE5 will be "marketed to children and young adults".

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

No. This is pretty ****ing obvious.

Posted by Ant

stupid n[COLOR="Lime"]i[/COLOR]gger making a big deal out of nothing. I can't wait to show their kind what's what when I'm shooting them in RE5 though.

Posted by Zeta

"Hey look there's tons of games with white people as enemies!"

"Whatever."

"And here's one game with black enemies."

"OMGWTF KILLING BLACKS THATS RASCISTSmklMDSMNVAOLISMNAOSC"

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Nothing to discuss really. A developer such as capcom wouldn't make a racist game. As far as I know, they just wanted to convey a feeling of isolation. And I guess you'd feel pretty isolated out in the middle of the african deserts, wouldn't you?

Posted by Crazy K

Thats ridiculous. The story is based in Africa, so there is most likely going to be black people. But hey it must be even worse when all of the black people turn into zombies. We must be offended now. Some people can be so idiotic.

"marketed to children and young adults".

lol. What an idiot.

Hey, buddy. Resident Evil has always been an E game. What makes you think RE5 will be any different?

Posted by Speedfreak

The game's set in Africa. Who the fuck were they expecting? Asians?

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Yep. Sure is good to be white. Nothing bad ever happens to white people in video games.

Question: Would a game in which the dark-skinned population of the world rises up and kills off most of the pale-faces be considered racist?

Posted by Speedfreak

Know what else is ridiculous? When developers submit games for ESRB ratings they have to point out any discrimination against women or racial minorities. It says nothing about men or the smallest minority of all, white people, at all.

Posted by muffla

I hate all this racest bull****, yes we white people had black slaves hundred years ago. get over it. today blacks are taking over. dont get me worng im not a racest person but look at it. sports almost all black, music all black. lok at older tv shows as well, its fine to have a show with an all black cast but an all white one is wrong.

Posted by Ant

THEY'RE GONNA TAKE OUR JOBS!

Who cares about our jobs? Just so long as they don't get to be heroes too often in video games.

Now, what would really get people's ganders up is if the storyline involved HIV mutating into a form of the T-virus, thus necessitating the cleansing of Africa.

Posted by Oforia

Racism in video games is awesome. I hope it is racist, though I know it won't be. Dumbass lady.

Posted by s0ul

It's official, there will be two versions of RE5 at launch. This travesty that might as well be called "Negro-Hunter 3000" and the politically correct version where all of the enemies faces have been altered to appear as a yellow smiley face.

Posted by ExoXile

Wow...

Posted by muffla

lol would both have difrent achievments?

Posted by s0ul

You better believe it. The E version promotes sharing herb and spreading peace.

Oh, I'm going to spread the Hell out of peace in Africa.

Posted by muffla

yea im gonna spread peace with my little friend here

Posted by Omni

How did this black woman get her own internet blog? Seriously, what a moron.

Posted by muffla

she probobly said OMG ALL TEH WTHE POEPLE HAVE TEH BLOGZZ I NED 1 TWO TO BE KOOLZ!!! STOP BEING RACEEST WIGGERZ. and more black women said yea stop bing racist

Remember when people were causing a fuss over LocoRoco? Blacks just wanna find reasons to *****.

Posted by veritas

O *** someone call the NAACP. Make sure Al sharpton and Jesse Jackson are there too.

Posted by WillisGreeny

I don't know what the big fuss is all about. I thought making da blacks zombies was a great promotion to killing the "N" word.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting Ant: stupid n[COLOR="Lime"]i[/COLOR]gger making a big deal out of nothing. I can't wait to show their kind what's what when I'm shooting them in RE5 though.

Best Statement

Posted by Ant

Quoting s0ul: It's official, there will be two versions of RE5 at launch. This travesty that might as well be called "Negro-Hunter 3000" and the politically correct version where all of the enemies faces have been altered to appear as a yellow smiley face.

ugh, I really wanted to rep that. you are a funny funny man. and don't you let any woman tell you otherwise.

Posted by Crazy K

She has a website [URL="http://askthisblackwoman.com/"]AskThisBlackWoman[/URL]

She responds to what people said.

Posted by Ant

what a pompous moron.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

That's black people for ya :cookie:

Posted by Fort Shino

This isn't really a big deal. Nothing would happen if the hero of the story was black and he was killing white people. But a white killing a black is unheard of.

Black people ***** about how we used them as slaves. But you don't see brown people going the same thing to blacks

Pro tip: Blackies used brownies as slaves.

Posted by Bebop

Its not racist. Shes just a dumb ******.

Posted by Zeta

Either they ***** about blacks getting killed, or they ***** about there being no blacks in a game that takes place in Africa. Capcom can't win. :(

Posted by THE dudet of game

It aint ****ing racist, it doesnt say ;all balcks must die!' does it?
so if white people are made enemies and its alright, then why not blacks?
its only racist if you're killing them BECAUSE they're black. not because you're in a war.
that being racist is a load of BULL ****

Posted by Degeneration

This reminds me of when the Spanish community started complaining about how it was depicted in RE4.

Oh, wait.

Posted by Fate

Blacks are blacks and Spaniards are Ganados. What are you talking about? :confused:

Also, AIDS. http://www.villagevoice.com/blogs/runninscared/archives/2007/07/zombies_in_afri.php

Posted by Creedence

Maybe the next one can take place in Asia so we can kill some yellow people.
Asians ***** less.

Posted by Iris

Holy ****, this thread is way more racist and stereotyping than any blog entry that woman made. :(

Still, it's frustrating to see people exploiting stupid, trivial details in video games as if the game has some hidden agenda. Criticism from anyone who doesn't play the games shouldn't be acknowledged on any level.

Posted by Zeta

Quoting Iris: Holy ****, this thread is way more racist and stereotyping than any blog entry that woman made. :(

We do what we can. :cookie:

Posted by EvilDeadGamer

yea, i mean common, wouldnt it be racist not to have black people in africa? dang, it seems like black people b*tch about everything now adays, you show me one black person that was enslaved thats still alive and i will apologize to King N*gga himself. ****, get over it. u got what you wanted, BET, rap "music", and sports. i mean we americans betrayed the brits, kicked out all the mexicans and indians and they...kinda..forgave us. the mexicans are kinda getting back at us by jumpin the border, but still. black people need to stfu.

Quoted post: Holy ****, this thread is way more racist and stereotyping than any blog entry that woman made.

racism on my internets?

Posted by Iris

Thanks for validating my point.

Edit: That was towards EvilDeadGamer

Vamp: Don't get me wrong, I'm not surprised or anything to see pastey white nerds acting racist from the comfort of the interwebs, but some people take stuff like this too seriously.

No problem. Wouldn't doubt most in this thread don't even mean it. It's just funny to see blacks ***** about racism with there's no intentional racism, it's just a setting and it would be weird to fight more Spaniards in Africa. Wouldn't be the first time something like this came up (what's up, LocoRoco) and it won't be the last time.

Black people need to calm down about this racism bull****. No one even cares anymore.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Quoting MMX&oldies-fan:
Asians ***** less.

Bull****.

Oddworld: Abe's Odyssey Abe and various other Mudokons had 4 fingers on each hand, though, two of the total of eight fingers (the pinky finger on each hand) was cut of to show that these were Mudokon slaves. A Japanese group who's ancestors were slavees *****ed and tried to sue until Oddworld Inhabitants took the fourth (the stubby, cut off finger) out of the later games (Abe's Exodus Munch's Odyssey).

Well, yeah, they ***** less. I'm just saying, everyone want's to try and sue/*****/blame/whatever so they can put themselves on a higher pedistal so they can recieve a piece of the pie they did nothing to earn.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Have many black people in America ever BEEN to Africa who still complain? If they had they would have realized most Africans don't see African Americans as "brothers". They would be glad that the zombies were Africans. Lots of Africans (not all ofcourse) don't like African Americans for various reasons. I had a friend (yes, he's black) who went to Africa and found it very awakard with all the racial slurs people would make as he walked by.

Posted by Fate

I don't even call blacks "African American" because that's got to be some of the gayest **** that still exists. They're not African at all.

Kinda like european american. So dumb.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

AMERICA IS A RACIAL MELTING POT :)

EvilDeadGamer's post was embarrassing. I didn't know some people still felt like that.

Posted by Ant

shut up black inuyasha

Posted by Klarth

I'm going to launch a complaint against Capcom for giving Wesker a British accent. It's horrible. I'm offended. We're not all heartless bastards intent on world destruction. This is deeply upsetting.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Ant;635043]shut up black inuyasha
Nigga **** you.

I should probably sue Infinity Ward for portraying Scottish people as having ****ty red beards and weird accents.

ohwait thats kinda true :(

Posted by Klarth

I should sue anyone who's ever made a WW2 game for constantly casting an organisation led by an Austrian man as the villainous faction. The nerve!

Yeah! And why do WWII games always make us Germans look like the bad guys?!

THANK *** FOR COMPANY OF HEROES

Posted by Oforia

Oh, company of heroes was great. I'm about to play that now.

Expansion pack lets you play as the Panzer Elites. Heck yeah, I love losing!

Posted by Oforia

I actually would prefer to play with no tanks.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I remember when my friend and I played in our local LAN and built this fantastic tank trap as we were getting mauled by really good guys. It was awesome watching them get stuck then blown to chunks.

Posted by Ant

shootin gamez are the cancer that is killing vgc.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Company of Heroes is an RTS.

Posted by Oforia

It's awesome when you blow up every bridge except one, and then set a really good defenses on the other side of the bridge.

Posted by EvilDeadGamer

hey hey, im not racist aginst black people, i just dont like it when people b*tch. if a bunch of white americans started b*tching about King George being to meen, i'd rant about them too. and thats what really grinds my gears, back to you tom. xD

Posted by Creedence

Quoting EvilDeadGamer: ****, get over it. u got what you wanted, BET, rap ****, and sports.

Dont hold nothing back, you know rap is **** and so do I, don't even call it music with the little ""'s.

also

Quoting EvilDeadGamer: hey hey, im not racist aginst black people

Lier.

Posted by Last Fog

You guys act like you didn't see this coming? I was prepared for this since I first saw the trailer. I just thought it might not happen until the game was released.

And anyone remember [URL="http://youtube.com/watch?v=l9L9ubdoVRE"]this game[/URL]?

Posted by Slowsky

Sure, you don't see Joystiq making an article when I try to get us out of Mario. :rolleyes: **** this ****.

Posted by Degeneration

It's a valid idea to see this game as a shot against parts of Africa specifically, in which case I'd still find reason to disagree, but to say that all blacks are being targeted is a cheap attempt to create an issue out of something that never was.

It's as though she's looking for support that she would never garner otherwise. Then she wonders why her statements are getting so much disrespect. Go figure that some people are seeing through them and don't like what they see!

Quoted post: i just dont like it when people b*tch.

It's funny because you're *****ing about black people.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;635599]It's funny because you're *****ing about black people.

OH MY GOD. You just love to argue about bloody well anything, don't you?

How was that arguing? Wow, you're dumb.

Posted by EvilDeadGamer

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: It's funny because you're *****ing about black people.

...black people started it.. xD

Posted by Anti-Muffla

yea when I saw the trailer I knew this was going to happen. Look at RE4... all white people that your shooting at. Saying that RE5 is a racist game would make you the racist yourself for not noticing games like RE4. *** I hate racists, but Capcom is definitely not racist. They chose Africa as a place for their game. It's a fact that there are a lot more black people in Africa than white. Africa is a great place for them to have RE5! even though all that was probably already said before, I had to get it off my chest.

Quoted post: Look at RE4... all white people that your shooting at

They aren't white.

Yeah. They're filthy illegal immigrants.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;637045]They aren't white.

Once again, you'll argue with anything. The fact that they're not white (they're an offshoot of white anyway, way to split hairs) isn't the point. The point is they weren't black.

I'll argue with anything? Christ, pretty much all your recent posts are in response to mine, even when they aren't related :rolleyes:

The point is that hispanics are still a minority. Thus, RE4 can still be construed as racist, not unlike RE5. So his whole point is void. I'm not arguing, I'm pointing out a flaw.

Posted by S

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: I'll argue with anything? Christ, pretty much all your recent posts are in response to mine, even when they aren't related :rolleyes:

The point is that hispanics are still a minority. Thus, RE4 can still be construed as racist, not unlike RE5. So his whole point is void.

Minority... where? In Japan? But then again, white would be the minority in Japan too. Last I checked, that's where Resident Evil is developed. And if you're assuming racism is definitively tied to minority/majority, then the game is no where near racist because that'd inherantly mean that one minority slaughtering another is by no means racist.

That's not what racism is though. Racism is the belief that one race is superior to another, it has nothing to do with majority/minority. Those are recently new terms in contrast to thousands of years of persecution.

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: The point is that hispanics are still a minority. Thus, RE4 can still be construed as racist, not unlike RE5. So his whole point is void. I'm not arguing, I'm pointing out a flaw.
You just reminded me that you can only be racist against minorities. :)

Quoted post: Minority... where? In Japan? But then again, white would be the minority in Japan too. Last I checked, that's where Resident Evil is developed. And if you're assuming racism is definitively tied to minority/majority, then the game is no where near racist because that'd inherantly mean that one minority slaughtering another is by no means racist.

Whites are the majority. That means everyone else is a minority, right? And clearly people don't view these games as coming from a japanese developer where they're different cultures and beliefs, no. They see a white guy shooting some africans and that's all that matters to them. Obviously racism isn't the majority against the minority, but in this case it is. Hence the article.

I personally don't find these games racist... but according to first post someone does. So why you told me half the stuff you did in your post I have no clue.

Posted by S

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Whites are the majority. That means everyone else is a minority, right? And clearly people don't view these games as coming from a japanese developer where they're different cultures and beliefs, no. They see a white guy shooting some africans and that's all that matters to them.

I personally don't find these games racist... but according to first post someone does. So why you told me half the stuff you did in your post I have no clue.

What I'm saying is: Minority vs. Majority means absolutely jack. Even playing Devil's advocate, its not solid ground to stand on.

Right... calling this game racist is idiotic. What's your point? Anti was using RE4 as an example of a game that wasn't racist, but if people believe RE5 is racist, than RE4 is no different in their eyes, is it? It still boils down to some guy kicking the **** out of a completely different race that happens to be a minority in the states. You're telling me this stuff as if you think I believe the games are racist.

Posted by S

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Right... calling this game racist is idiotic. What's your point? Anti was using RE4 as an example of a game that wasn't racist, but if people believe RE5 is racist, than RE4 is no different in their eyes, is it? It still boils down to some guy kicking the **** out of a completely different race that happens to be a minority in the states. You're telling me this stuff as if you think I believe the games are racist.

Whoosh, but whatever. Not a big deal. I agree, calling the game racist is idiotic.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;637637]Whites are the majority.

White people are a global minority, actually. Unless you think that the combined populations of North America, Russia and Europe are a majority...

It wouldn't take more than 2 generations to dillute many other races to the point where they're indistinguishable from what are commonly called "white" people, though.

Quoted post: White people are a global minority, actually. Unless you think that the combined populations of North America, Russia and Europe are a majority...

Ugh, wow. North America get? Pretty sure this "Black Looks" lady is American, and in America blacks are a minority. As is every other race but white people. This wouldn't even be an issue if blacks weren't a minority, so what exactly are you trying to drive at?

Posted by Speedfreak

I thought you were talking about white people being a global minority for some reason. To be honest I forgot why I was trying to make that point in the first place. I could figure it out but sod it, we're all in agreement anyway.

Your point was to argue with me about something I was right on.

Posted by Speedfreak

My point was your point, I mistook your position, I made a mistake.

Posted by ExoXile

Lol. Habit?

Posted by Speedfreak

Human, actually.