Finally the console wars start to impress me

Posted by Random

Who doesn't love a good console war? There have always been great gaming rivalries.. Atari/Nintendo... Nintendo/Sega... Nintendo/Sega/Sony.. and as of late, Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft.

There have always been fans of each side. But myself as a casual gamer, always looked forward to seeing each company have its own side of games. Perhaps my favorite rivalry is the Nintendo/Sega era. Where Nintendo had the top notch RPGs and not to mention Mario at its best, while Sega had the FREAKIN Sega Channel, and Sonic at its best. Truley a great rivalry for someone such as myself growing up in that time.

But we'll skip forward to the good stuff. During the start of the Xbox/PS2/Gamecube war, there wasn't really much excitement over it. I remember wanting a PS2 in the worst way to purchase GTA III, Final Fantasy X, and MGS 2. On the other hand, my cousin invited me to his house to play the XBox, where I fell in love with games such as Halo: Combat Evolved, Fusion Frenzy, and Abes oddysee. I made a risk by purchasing the XBox when it had very little development support at the start.

Not long after I ended up purchasing a PS2 for those games. Of course I ended up getting MGS 2 on the XBox, and Final Fantasy X was horrible, but I felt it was worthwhile owning my PS2. Then came a day when I decided I was going to own all three consoles. It was around the time Resident Evil 0 was released, Metroid Prime was out, and not to mention Windwaker was about to release. So I bought the Gamecube, fulfilling my console collection. All three consoles had their great games. Nintendo with Zelda, Resident Evil, MGS Twin Snakes, Mario Strikers, Mario Kart DD and more. Sony with MGS 3, Final Fantasy XII, *** of War, Guitar Hero, Smackdown vs Raw and more. XBox with Halo/Halo 2, Star Wars KOTOR/KOTOR II, Fable, Ninja Gaiden, Fusion Frenzy, not to mention GTA.

It was a great console war. Sure Sony won in sales in the end, while i'm sure Nintendo won in overall profit.

But finally this console war for the first time has me looking into buying more than one console. I've always been a Microsoft diehard which is why I own an XBox 360 already, but now i'm looking into going onto multiple platforms. I already own 10-15 Games for my 360 (Which as of right now i'm playing the hell out of Enchanted Arms (RPG)). Now though i'm looking into maybe getting a PS3. There aren't a lot of games out now for the PS3 but there a few that catch my eye such as: Resistance: Fall of Man, and Ninja Gaiden Sigma.

I had thought about buying a Wii but nothing yet makes me scream to buy one. Not that I won't buy a Wii, because there are enough titles that have yet to come out that have already caught my eye.

Just like a few years ago, I want to open up my game cabinent that has 3 seperate rows that I had filled one with Xbox games, one with PS2 games, and the other with Gamecube games. Soon I want to see that cabinent full with games from each of the consoles.

Finally I can say i'm starting to enjoy this console war.

I guess this thread really has nothing to discuss other than others mentioning how they feel about the war.

Anyone care to share their feelings bout the console war(s)??

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Neither Abe's Odyssey nor Abe's Exodus were on X-Box.

You are thinking of Munch's Odyssey.

Posted by Al Borland

No doubt. Last gen was a pretty lame war for me, I don't remember ever being envious of anything Xbox had over Ps2. I had a GCN too, but the only time I played it was for Metroid, Mario, Zelda, etc. It's definitely more interesting this time around now that Nintendo has a system that could get some cool third party game, and now that Sony lost some exclusives I have incentive to play a microsoft system. Even though my 360 broke LAST NIGHT, I still love it and it's def bringing some cool stuff to the table.

Posted by Anti-Muffla

Yea I got a NGC and it was good until I got a little older and then I got a PS2 with Socom and Jak, it was awesome!!! Now I think it's going to be a close fight between 360 and ps3, while ps3 creeps up on the 360, the 360 still has a whole year advantage. The PS3 doesn't have anything out now, but after the Fall 07 to Spring 08 it will have so many great exclusives people will not be dissing it anymore. Right now the 360 is the best console game wise, but after Spring 08 it will be like the battle last year where each console had some really great games, except each console will cost twice as much. The Wii is fun, however the graphics really suck (not much better then NGC), but the price is so cheap that the sales are through the roof, good thinking Nintendo. There is no doubt the Wii will win for this generation, but it will be intresting to see who wins the battle between 360 and PS3.

Posted by Shakyl

Quoting Anti-Muffla: Yea I got a NGC and it was good until I got a little older and then I got a PS2 with Socom and Jak, it was awesome!!! Now I think it's going to be a close fight between 360 and ps3, while ps3 creeps up on the 360, the 360 still has a whole year advantage. The PS3 doesn't have anything out now, but after the Fall 07 to Spring 08 it will have so many great exclusives people will not be dissing it anymore. Right now the 360 is the best console game wise, but after Spring 08 it will be like the battle last year where each console had some really great games, except each console will cost twice as much. The Wii is fun, however the graphics really suck (not much better then NGC), but the price is so cheap that the sales are through the roof, good thinking Nintendo. There is no doubt the Wii will win for this generation, but it will be intresting to see who wins the battle between 360 and PS3.

http://nexgenwars.com/
...really creeping up....the PS3 # barley goes up while the Wii and the 360 go up a lot

Posted by Anti-Muffla

um have you been watching it since the ps3 came out... 360 only went up a million and PS3 went up.. well you can see for yourself.

Posted by Shakyl

Quoting Anti-Muffla: um have you been watching it since the ps3 came out... 360 only went up a million and PS3 went up.. well you can see for yourself.

u can also see numbers go up more on the 360 n wii than the PS3..."well you can see for yourself"

Posted by Anti-Muffla

I'm watching it the 360 is going up at the same rate as the PS3. Your gunna have to sit and watch it for a month to really see the difference. The PS3 seems to be going up 400% faster than the 360 in the past 6 months. I hope you know those numbers don't go up for every real console sold, they just go up over a certain amount of time to meet certain keypoints in time.(I tried to explain that as well as I could.)

Also, if you read, I stated that the wii is going to pwn both of them, I hate people who don't read.

Posted by Shakyl

Quoting Anti-Muffla: I'm watching it the 360 is going up at the same rate as the PS3. Your gunna have to sit and watch it for a month to really see the difference. The PS3 seems to be going up 400% faster than the 360 in the past 6 months.

Also, if you read, I stated that the wii is going to pwn both of them, I hate people who don't read.

Cool..me too..because i didnt say that the 360 was gonna pwn, i never said the wii wasnt..i said the 360n wii # was going up a lot,and the PS3 wasnt

Posted by Anti-Muffla

but that was untrue. The 360 and the PS3 number are going up at the same rate... I already know the Wii number is going up more I don't need YOU to tell me that.

Posted by Shakyl

[IMG]http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r10/Shakyl/Bricktrident2.gif[/IMG]
that is why the 360 is sweet..and the games n graphix n all that

Posted by muffla

achievements rock period.

Posted by Anti-Muffla

lol now you are just copying Dan because you don't know what your talking about. Referring to ur post before that you said "Cool, Me too," Actually that is not true. You came in this thread insulting my post for untrue reasons and you forgot to tell us your opinions about the final turnout of the console war. You never stated that the wii would pwn both of them.

PS3 has trophies, kind of the same thing. Shows how much you know.

Posted by muffla

trophies are gay

Posted by Anti-Muffla

oh ok then, I'm going to buy a still 400 dollar system because it has achievements instead of trophies. Trophies are just as good. Thank you very much.

Posted by Shakyl

Quoting Anti-Muffla: oh ok then, I'm going to buy a still 400 dollar system because it has achievements instead of trophies. Trophies are just as good. Thank you very much.

that shows how despirate they r..copying Microsoft...And the logo after the comercials..actually the sound..is just bout the SAME thing..they copied Microsoft..and they copied Nintendos Mii

Posted by maian

This is the first, uh, "war" that really has me wanting all three systems...badly. I have none right now, due to the money drought I've always faced. While I do have a job now, it'd still be a long time before I can get all three.

On one hand, I want the Wii. I've always stuck with Nintendo, and I simply can't resist the Wii's innovation, which sadly, I haven't even experienced much yet. Metroid is coming. Mario is coming. Super Smash is coming. Those three enough are enough to entice me, as well as things already out. I still need to play through TP on the Wii version, I want SSX Blur (Just an SSX fan), and Super Paper Mario looks sweet. I'm for sure buying the Wii first, but it's mainly because of my allegience to Nintendo and it's three exclusives coming up.

Sony. Sony is so expensive, but it's getting better each day. First of all, I lacked money so much, that I couldn't afford a PS2 last generation. Gawd. Never got to it. So buying a PS3 now would be like getting a PS2 and the 298 games I need to play for it already. And, well, PS3 has MGS4. That's all there is to it. Just in the last few months I became a hardcore MGS fan, and I can't resist MGS4. I don't know how easily I'll get a PS3 before it's release, but it's a no brainer. I need it. That, and all the other crap that'll come out. FFXIII looks pretty good.

And, the 360. This is the same case as the PS2, I never owned an Xbox. As a result, the 360 would inevitably come with all the crap I've been wanting for XB. Ironically, I can't actually think of specific games I want for 360 right now, (Well, Halo 3, Wars) but there are so many moments where I find myself saying, "I need a 360".

In short, this generation already has a lot to offer. Now that I'm actually earning money, it will be a ridiculously hard decision deciding whether to buy a 360 or a PS3 first. Honestly, I'm not complaining.

Posted by Random

I know what you mean Maian.. About the money that is. The Wii is fairly affordable, and the 360 isn't so bad, but the PS3 is rather pricey. I'm debating whether or not to let another price drop take in effect before purchasing one. Although I haven't been to thrilled with the Wii, i'm rather anxious to play Mario Strikers and Mario Kart. Already owning a 360, I have one of the three consoles.

I've been a little weary on how the Wii and PS3 LAN Capabilities are. About once a month, my friends and I get together for XBox/XBox360/PC LAN parties, but I was kind of hoping the Wii would have a larger library of LAN capable games. Anyone know a lot about PS3/Wii lan partied games??

I love how that link you sent Shakyl says its only predicting estimates not actual numbers. Predictions mean nothing, without actual results.

And aswell as the Wii has done, i'm sure its slowing down faster than this website shows. Not that the Wii is horrible, but I can see store shelves stocked full of Wii's now, that sell about as much as 360s or PS3s.

Posted by maian

I still can't find Wiis. :cookie: I found PS3s a month after release. Still no Wiis, which could put a dent in my plan of buying one. :( I just hope Nintendo keeps its momentum right now. While I wouldn't care if they ended up last place, it is nice having your choice system be something people like. "Gamecube? Faggot!"

Posted by Random

Quoting maian: I still can't find Wiis. :cookie: I found PS3s a month after release. Still no Wiis, which could put a dent in my plan of buying one. :( I just hope Nintendo keeps its momentum right now. While I wouldn't care if they ended up last place, it is nice having your choice system be something people like. "Gamecube? Faggot!"

lol, I could find PS3s a month after release too. I remember KoH and I went on a trip to play PS3s and every single one we played managed to have been already broken or to break while we played it. Fun stuff...

I can find Wii's generally anywhere now. I can even find them online to order, which makes me believe their sales have greatly fallen. Still though, i'm sure they're selling faster per console than the other two, but i'm sure it'll slow down even faster over the next month or so, just in time for the Christmas rush.

Posted by s0ul

This is the dumbest thread I've ever seen. Not the idea of it or anything, just the middle portion between the noobs. I'd have banned them all for embarrassing my forums!

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

It's a pretty ****ty war if you ask me. There's one just coasting along, the other has no idea what it's doing and then the last which doesn't even consider itself competition, yet sells by the truckload for no good reason.

lame.

Posted by Anti-Muffla

sorry soul. I was just posting my opinon on the console war! and then i got attacked for it. I had to defend. I'm sorry for any inconvinience that that might've caused.

Posted by Speedfreak

Going pretty well for me.

I've won about 30 bets.

Other than that it's alright, I guess. Sony being toppled can only be a good thing, Microsoft not having a monopoly can only be a good thing, now if Nintendo doesn't go all 80s on us the competition balance is pretty much perfect. For me it good be better, Wii's had a pretty fast start but the drought is killing me, and the other two systems are far too expensive for me and frankly just don't seem worth it.

Best system so far: DS.

Posted by Random

Quoting Speedfreak: Going pretty well for me.

I've won about 30 bets.

Other than that it's alright, I guess. Sony being toppled can only be a good thing, Microsoft not having a monopoly can only be a good thing, now if Nintendo doesn't go all 80s on us the competition balance is pretty much perfect. For me it good be better, Wii's had a pretty fast start but the drought is killing me, and the other two systems are far too expensive for me and frankly just don't seem worth it.

Best system so far: DS.

I've actually been perhaps looking into getting a DS and i'm not much for handhelds.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Speedfreak: now if Nintendo doesn't go all 80s on us the competition balance is pretty much perfect.

But I <3 the 80's :(

Anyways, I don't think any round of wars will be as good as the Nintendo/Sega bout, but this generation is looks promising. I don't think any Nintendo system has sold like this before. Right now Wii's are still sold out. The shipments come in on Sundays and POOF, they're gone. :( My next paycheck (this week's) is going to be a big one, so I think I will try my hand at getting a Wii.

360 looks good too, but that would be later down the road. Not going to get PS3... ever. A PS2 possibly, but I am not a big supporter of Sony agenda, and there aren't any games coming out ATM that would make me even think of buying one.

One the handheld front, I already own DS, and am loving it. I will buy a PSP soon, but only for a few Mega Man and Sonic games. Otherwise, PSP really doesn't do much for me.