LittleBigPlanet

Posted by EvilDeadGamer

when i first saw this game i was kinda skeptical (is that how you spell that?) becuase it looks like a 3d side-scroller type game. plus it looked kinda retarted. but then i got to thinking about it and it might actualy be fun. with other people of course. its 1-4 players, wich im sure is one console/online play. anyway the game comes out in Feb of '08. discuss

Posted by Big Boss

What makes it so great, in my view, is the ability given to the player to create his or her own level and put it online for others to play it and have it ranked. That level of user content creation and sharing is generally unseen in console games, and it also looks extremely fun to do and play.

I saw it when Phil Harrison and co,. first showed it at his GDC keynote live, and since then I've been very excited about it:

I'm also very happy to see a non-violent game get this much positive attention from everyone, which is kinda the way I felt about Katamari Damacy. Still, it's what you can do and share online that'll make LittleBigPlanet a lot more engaging and everlasting.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: What makes it so great, in my view, is the ability given to the player to create his or her own level and put it online for others to play it and have it ranked.

Yeah. If you're looking at it as a 2D side-scrolling platformer you're missing the best part of the game. It's about toying around with your friends and creating games others can enjoy. It's the developing side, rather than the end-game playing side that's causing so much excitement.

Plus, now hearing that big Sony franchises want their content in the game, well, that's pretty **** cool.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

That looks kiddy. I want games with blood, rap, sex with hookers, and ride pimping...Wait...It's on my console? Teh innovayshunz!!1 [/sony fanboy]

Edit: No. Thank you, spam, for staying off the game boards.

Posted by Bebop

It does look good and I love the level editting thing but as Prince pointed out had it been on a Nintendo console, like Kingdom Hearts, it would have been ripped to ****. No question.

Doubt that. =/

Posted by Fate

I hardly ever see people ripping innovation here. Not the people that matter, anyways.

Posted by Bebop

Its to do with how the game looks. Without question it would have been overlooked on a Nintendo console as kiddy and the mere mention of "innovation" would have easily made people laugh at it. Ho hum.

Posted by Fate

To tell you the truth, I think it's all about presentation. A lot of the reason Nintendo looks kiddy to others is because the best games are usually made by Nintendo itself, which means it probably has a character we've seen a million times before in other youth-to-young-adult games. The fact that Pikmin had a new character is pretty much proof that it's not the innovation that's in question, it's the presentation. I mean, you know what you're getting if you play a Mario game, you know? A sense of "this game is as expected" or "this game is everything a Mario game consists of" even though there may be new stuff in it.

Posted by Bebop

Its nothing to do with characters at all. Or innovation or anything. It boils down to consoles reputation.
Game on Nintendo=lol must be kiddy.
Mickey Mouse on PS2=lol so innovative we love Kingdom Hearts.

Unfortunately thats how it works.

Posted by Fate

The thing about KH's popularity was that it had FF characters in it. The most popular characters in KH besides the new ones were the tragic/mature FF characters chosen. If Nintendo had used their own characters like Mario and Samus, could you see the "maturity" difference? It's a lot different. KH isn't probably the best example to use because the popularity was garnered from existing characters and the reputation of the company that made it.

LBP could go on any platform and be a huge success. There's going to always be detractors, but no matter what that game will be huge. Plus, people are going bat**** crazy over anything Nintendo. Nintendo has lost its stigma.

Posted by Bebop

Point still stands if LBP were on Wii there would be more hostility towards the title and "innovation" purely because it's on a Nintendo console.

Fate, KH success is irrelevant. People looked at GC and branded it kiddy for Luigis Mansion but when people branded Kingdom Hearts as childish they were called trolls and fanboys and everything.

Quoted post: Point still stands if LBP were on Wii there would be more hostility towards the title and "innovation" purely because it's on a Nintendo console.

Nah, no. The Wii isn't the Gamecube.

yet

Posted by Bebop

People would still be like "lol innovation lol wheres my blood?".

No they wouldn't've.

Posted by Bebop

Yeh they would. Not as much as the GC days but they would

Like I said, LBP has detractors now, that's obvious, but it really wouldn't change whether it was on the 360 or the Wii or PS3. Hell, if it was on the Wii maybe even more people would be raving about it.

Posted by TendoAddict

Like it even matters, Fan Boy's are a lost cause so why even care what they do.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Fate;631181][COLOR=skyblue]If Nintendo had used their own characters like Mario and Samus[/COLOR]

Link and Samus beating up Disney characters would probably be the greatest game ever. I might have to pay you some kind of tribute for putting that idea in my head...

I wholeheartedly agree that if Kingdom hearts was on a Nintendo system it would've been slated to Mars and back for being kiddy. Nintendo's "kiddy" image was a heck of a lot stronger back then. If it were released now I'm not so sure.

LittleBigPlanet is sorta neat. I'd probably get it if I had a PS3, but it certainly won't make me shell out for one. Especially on my tight student budget. I view it as something similar to that blocks game Stephen Speilberg is making on Wii, same sort of simple physics-based gameplay combined with level editors.

Posted by Fate

It would actually make more sense to have KH be on a Nintendo console!

Posted by Speedfreak

If they were old school characters, maybe. Cloud doesn't belong on a Nintendo system. And Disney characters don't deserve to have any games.

K no it wouldn't.

Posted by Fate

No, I mean the game should've had Nintendo characters and should've been on a Nintendo console.

Posted by Speedfreak

I think I would've refused to buy it out of spite.

Posted by Zeta

**** that. Give Nintendo the Looney Toons or something.

Posted by Speedfreak

OH G[COLOR=LIGHTGREEN]O[/COLOR]D.

Square and Nintendo characters would've been cooler. Especially if we got some Crono and SoM action.

Posted by Fate

Yeah, but how many "knowns" would there be?

Posted by Bebop

Or a Kingdom Hearts version with Sega and Nintendo characters? I mean the game would still be awful but it would have at least one good character

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting Fate: The thing about KH's popularity was that it had FF characters in it. The most popular characters in KH besides the new ones were the tragic/mature FF characters chosen. If Nintendo had used their own characters like Mario and Samus, could you see the "maturity" difference? It's a lot different. KH isn't probably the best example to use because the popularity was garnered from existing characters and the reputation of the company that made it.

The reason why it became popular was because of the partnership between Disney and Square and all the Disney characters that were featured in it.

Posted by Fate

I don't think it was the Disney characters that did it.

Posted by Zeta

It was because of all the bishies. =^.^=

Posted by Anti-Muffla

This game looks gr8. Yea it is a bit kiddish, but it will bring your creativity into a video game like never before. I really wanna place flowers all over my friend's head and annoy the heck outta them. dats right Muffla! when u get a PS3 and LittleBigPlanet comes out, i'm gunna paste those things ALL OVER UR HEAD. and then I gunna surround u with them so u cant move. mwahahahah.

Posted by corbinoiscool

have they gave this game a release date yet?

Not really. We just know it's early 2008 for North America.

Posted by Unite

Hmm i guess it's a little early to preorder it?

Posted by Speedfreak

IT'S NEVER TOO EARLY.

People pre-ordered OoT 6 years in advance and got it on launch day.

Not like it's going to be sold out anyways...

Posted by Speedfreak

Yeah wait, isn't it a download?