What to do with a spare couple grand. New Omega, or donate to Africa relief?

Posted by Landon

So, what should I do?

I've always wanted a nice, vintage Omega Speedmaster...

[IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y209/nintendoretro/4d43_12.jpg[/IMG]

But it doesn't do anything a $40 Casio G Shock doesn't do... I could use that money to help out an awful lot of people in Darfour, but then I wouldn't have the Omega.

What is more valuable.
A pristine, vintage Omega Speedmaster with really cool chronograph functions, or these 'people' ?

Cuz like, I'm looking into that sea of faces, and there isn't a single one that I value more than the watch. If someone were to come to me and say "I will give you this beautiful Omega speedmaster, but in exchange, one of these people will die..." I wouldn't even hesitate to take the watch.
But then again, how "fair" is it that we westerners are blowing flagrantly offensive sums of money on watches while Africa starves and dies of AIDS?

What would you do?

Posted by Omni

I don't see any white people in that picture. I could use a new watch.

Posted by Zeta

The former. Africa is fucked anyways.

Posted by Oforia

I would definitely do the wisest thing and invest the money into something with a better outcome.

Posted by Landon

The vintage Speedmaster is going to at least hold its value.
The outcome of Africa? Well, I think the money would be better spent on the Speedmaster, if "outcome" is the sole criteria.
That toilet will be flushed soon enough.

Posted by Oforia

I was talking more of like a CD, Savings Bond, or Money Market Account.

Or you could buy a ps3 cause they lowered the price for those that are less fortunate and all. :cookie:

Posted by Death-By-Minnow

Sad but true, isn't it? When you think about it, we're all a bunch of pricks, but I guess that's why people try not to think about it.

Posted by Oforia

Survival of the fittest?

Posted by Landon

Quoting Oforia: I was talking more of like a CD, Savings Bond, or Money Market Account.

Bleh, I'm an equities man.
I already have money tied up in boring investments.
I want to spend some on something dumb- but not just "dumb", like, super-ultra impractically moronic.
That's why I'm thinking this Speedmaster- yet every time I see that Speedmaster, all I can think of is how many starving and displaced Africans it would feed... But then I think about how cool it would look on my wrist, and I immediately stop caring about those people.

Posted by Oforia

Or you could just save your money, and get the $45 version that does the same thing.

Posted by Landon

Yeah, but that's a digital LCD. How ****ing boring.
I want the watch that does the same thing as the $40 Casio, only instead of utilizing simple and cheap technology to accomplish the task, it uses a billion little hand-fitted parts in a grossly complex, Rube Goldberg'ish movement and costs as much as twenty of those Africans make in an entire year.

Posted by Lord of Spam

HEY GUYS SHOULD I DO SOMETHING USEFULL WITH MY TIME OR TROLL VGC **** YEAH

Posted by Landon

Quoting Lord of Spam: HEY GUYS SHOULD I DO SOMETHING USEFULL WITH MY TIME OR TROLL VGC **** YEAH

Like take spelling lessons?

Posted by mis0

Donate your money to people who deserve it.

Posted by Bebop

Neither. Just buy loads of glow sticks.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[CENTER][SIZE=5]SEAN FURY: THE RESURRECTION[/SIZE]
COMING TO A VIDEO GAME FORUM NEAR YOU
[SPOILER]HEY GUYS LOOK AT ME LOL I DONT CARE ABOUT SOMETHING AM I COOL YET[/SPOILER]
SUMMER 2007
[/CENTER]

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Landon: Like take spelling lessons?

idk, trolling vgc vs spelling, i'd go for trolling.

obviously

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

los and properly spelling and grammar do not mix. I don't even want to imagine it.

Posted by Arwon

OMG ORIGINAL IDEA

OH HAI PETER SINGER

Posted by Omni

Quoting mis0: Donate your money to people who deserve it.

In other words, don't donate your money to Africa.

No, but seriously, as far as I know, we didn't overpopulate Africa so that it's limited resources were unable to keep up with the demand for food and shelter, and I'm pretty sure we didn't give them AIDS. Helping them would be nice, but it's not like we actually owe it to them.

Posted by Landon

Quoting Arwon: OMG ORIGINAL IDEA

OH HAI PETER SINGER

Who is Peter Singer?

Posted by Omni

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Singer

Posted by Landon

Quoting Omni: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Singer

Ahhh... That would explain it why I've never heard of him.

As soon as I saw this...

[IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y209/nintendoretro/pas544534.png[/IMG]

...I immediately lost all interest and quit reading, right then and there (although in looking at his picture, I may have a new avatar candidate)

I seriously think that Tommy Emmanuel and Kieran Murphy are the only good things that continent has ever produced.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

he's a pain in the ***, but at least Landon's a consistent racist. Not like these supposed Christian hypocrites I see on a daily basis. Cheers for consistency!

and if i were you, I'd take that money and mail it to bj blaskowitz, to help him pay off some student loans. He's white. He's of aryan descent. He's part German part Austrian (double badass, right?) and next year he's going to law school. It's an investment is handsome potential that is sure to payoff.

Posted by Landon

What makes you think I like Aryan people?
Blue eyed people are born without human souls. They're handy and clever, but they're basically the gooks of the Caucasian race. They cannot be expected to do anything of value outside the realms of engineering or planning. If you want to see a relatively homogeneous island full of Aryans, look at fucking Australia. What have those bastards ever accomplished?

Aryans do make a d@mn fine wristwatch, though... Oh, how those assholes can craft a timepiece... Seriously. If I were perpetrating a mass global genocide, I would definitely keep a number of Aryans around for horological and automotive purposes, but not too many.

Posted by Arwon

We're blue-eyed German engineers and planners now? Who knew.

I also like how Landon is trying to bait me by trolling my (essentially non-existent) sense of nationalism. It's as cute as it is stupid.

Posted by Landon

I like how you think I'm "baiting" you.
Whether you reply or not doesn't really change things as they are.

I mean, if someone comes along and says "Australia is a completely irrelevant place that hasn't accomplished ****", you can basically either admit to it (since it is true whether you like it or not) or you can pretend that you're on some sort of magical "high road" and refusing to take some non-existent "bait."

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

OH WOW MORE HARD-HITTING TRUTHS

Next you'll be telling us that the internet isn't really serious business.

Posted by Lord of Spam

No way man, nobody is insane enough to go that far. The internet has been, is now, and always will continue to be the most serious ****ing business known to man.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Landon: What makes you think I like Aryan people?
Blue eyed people are born without human souls. They're handy and clever, but they're basically the gooks of the Caucasian race. They cannot be expected to do anything of value outside the realms of engineering or planning. If you want to see a relatively homogeneous island full of Aryans, look at fucking Australia. What have those bastards ever accomplished?

Aryans do make a d@mn fine wristwatch, though... Oh, how those assholes can craft a timepiece... Seriously. If I were perpetrating a mass global genocide, I would definitely keep a number of Aryans around for horological and automotive purposes, but not too many.

IF YOU DON'T SHUT UP I'll engineer you to death..? YEAH, EAT PRECISION BITCH.