Considering launching another VGC banner contest - thoughts?

Posted by sabre

The banners up there currently are about two and a half years old (with a couple of one and a half year olds thrown in for good measure), so it'd be nice to have a revamp, perhaps. So, we could do it in a similar format to the one in 2003. We could host it in the Art and Graphics board, and then throw in a global announcement to attract attention to it. It'd start after April Fools', and the schedule would be something like this...

April 14th: Allow entries.
April 21st: Make a first poll, with all of the entries in it.
April 24th: First poll closes, the top 50% will go into a new poll.
April 27th: Second poll closes, top five from that will go onto the main page.

All polls would be multiple choice. Submissions would of course have to be of 264 x 107 pixels, and in .jpg, .gif or .png format. I already know of a couple of designers who would be willing to participate.

So, what are people's thoughts, and is Jesse up for adding a couple of new banners?

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I like the idea of adding new banners. I'm all for it.

Posted by Echo

Two and a half years??? I've been here longer than I thought.......

Anywho, yeah, new banners could be good.

Posted by Hyper

Yeah sure, I'm all for it and I'll of course enter as many as I can. We can do more than one, right?

Posted by sabre

Sure.

Posted by Hyper

Sweet. But do the dimensions have to be exact? C'mon, give me some space to work with :mad:

Posted by sabre

Yeah; otherwise we'll have a pretty screwed up looking header when it randomises.

Posted by Hyper

At least expand it to 300x150 or something.

Posted by Corrupt

Sounds pretty good to me, but whatever you do, don't get rid of the Bowser banner.

Please. :(

Posted by sabre

Don't worry; we won't be getting rid of any banners. Just adding a bunch. Five, or maybe eight.

Posted by Corrupt

Okay, good. I was just making sure, y'know.

Posted by Alastor

I'm all for it. Now that I think about it, I thought the Metroid banner I made got enough votes to be counted as an official banner, but it was never put up. :confused:

Posted by Jesse Smith

I vote that we ban Netman from making new banners!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Posted by coromoro

I'm all for the idea. :cool:

Posted by D.J Cat

Get Baz to write " VG Chat" or "Video Game Chat" on that drawing board thing of his. :cool:

Posted by Corrupt

Quoting D.J Cat: Get Baz to write " VG Chat" or "Video Game Chat" on that drawing board thing of his. :cool:

Haha, now I like that idea.

Posted by Alastor

Well, it's the 14th. Should we get this thing underway?

New banners are already up. ;p

I guess we just submit ours in this thread? What are the dimensions?

Posted by Alastor

Well, I thought this contest was open to everyone, not just the Moderators...

That would be better...I'm not sure if Hypers' just putting up his though. ;/

Posted by maian

Eh, this one's ok.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/maian/VGCLinkcopy.png[/IMG]

Gonna make the pic look better.

Posted by Hyper

If you expect me to make the thread then screw yourself :( I vote Sabredog as the thread maker.

Posted by Alastor

I got no problem making it, actually. I just figured a super mod or maian/Hyper could make it and stick it and stuff. :cool:

Posted by Klarth

Posted by Alastor

Posted by Klarth

how about we just add all the ones posted here, eh?

Posted by Alastor

lol Might be too many.

Seen Majesty's ToS one and just had to make my own. :cool:

Posted by coromoro

We should also make a poll for banners we want to get rid of.

Posted by Alastor

Made the thread and got Linkman to stick it for me. We'll move on to Part II on April 22nd - one week from now.

Posted by Jesse Smith

All four new banners have been uploaded to the server so you don't have to worry about bandwidth!!

Posted by Hyper

Quoting Jesse Smith: All four new banners have been uploaded to the server so you don't have to worry about bandwidth!!

Thanks. I suppose that might be why I got warning emails today about bandwidth :cool: