very important question

Posted by muffla

does anybody know how they get that one calorie into pepsi one? it has been bothering me all day and i really need to know. wikipedia basicaly told me to fck off cuz they had none of teh info

Posted by Iris

By allowing only a fraction of a gram of carbohydrates into the recipe.

Posted by Ant

that was fast.

Posted by muffla

thats what i thought but that would take alot of math to go from 150 to one, keeping the same general taste, and not screwing anything else up. it seems like too much just for a marketing ploy

Posted by Iris

The calories came from all the carbs. Substitute the carbs with fake sugars and the calories are gone. At least I'm pretty sure that's how they do it.

Posted by muffla

but how do they get that one calorie back in?

Posted by Iris

They just leave a minute amount of carbohydrates left in. Carbohydrates, proteins, and fats all have calories. About 1/4th of a gram of a carbohydrate equals 1 calorie. They keep that one calorie (1/4th gram of carbohydrates) in the recipe just as a marketing scheme and gimmick, but they could easily make it 0 like other diet sodas.

Posted by Ant

which is funny since they already have diet pepsi.

Posted by muffla

lol i know i askd the question but im really confused, if Carbohydrates, proteins, and fats all have calories then how can they have the same taste but still olny have one calorie

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

why is this an important question

Posted by muffla

because i wont be able to sleep if i dont know the awncer

Posted by Ant

wow. that's probably the biggest bastardization of the word "answer" I've ever seen.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

muffla, you should probably learn better English before delving into the world of liquid carbohydrates.

Posted by muffla

dont not to woriez i know the betterst in teh amarakinz languge

But really Its like a nagging in my brain, i need to know the secret of the pepsi one

Posted by Iris

They have the same taste because they're substituted for the most part with artificial sweetener. Usually it's not going to taste exactly the same, but depending on the substitution it may taste very similar or completely different.

Posted by Xenos

Have you tried to look up the answer at a more accredited site?

Posted by Speedfreak

Instead of sugar they have cancer-causing sweeteners instead. Drink the real stuff, it's a lot healthier.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Speedfreak: Instead of sugar they have cancer-causing sweeteners instead. Drink the real stuff, it's a lot healthier.

YEAH IT TOTALLY CAUSES CANCER CUZ DRINKING A FEW OUNCES IS TOTALLY THE SAME AS THE RATS DO, RIGHT?

oh, wait, no, you'd have to eat about 60 pounds a day for the dosage to be the same. d'oh!

Posted by Fate

Soda is bad for you in any form. :(

But if you're going to drink it, drink the real stuff.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Everything is bad for you. Live in a city? The air is bad for you. Eat pretty much any food you didnt grow yourself? bad for you. Eat something you DID grow yourself? still bad for you unless you live way out int he country with ground never touched by human hands. etc.

The OH NOES mentality most people have is retarded.

Posted by Fate

I know. If you're going to live in a city, make sure you live next to a waste disposal area so you can breathe the real stuff. That's all I'm saying. :(

Posted by Ant

there was a yahoo news report that said that if you drink even just one diet cola a day you're likelyhood of getting cancer goes up 44% :)

Posted by Iris

I agree with Fate. Soda's not the best drink, but it's more enjoyable without artificial sweetener.

Posted by Oforia

Actually, rats aren't the only ones that get cancer. Aspertaine is actually quite dangerous, and is responsible for giving many diet coke drinkers cancer. Hence, one of the reasons why they switched to Splenda. Splenda is still not good for you though.

Posted by Fate

Sucralose is a chemical so it has toxic properties. You'd have to take a large dose for a long period of time for it to have a serious effect, though.

Posted by Xenos

Hmm, makes sense. I always perferred juices [which also can be bad] and 7Up/Sprite/Sierra Mist anyways. By the way, I never see 7Up on the market anymore.

Posted by Oforia

7up is delicious. Mountain Dew just flat out sucks and will basically dissolve your teeth.

I try to avoid all diet drinks though.

Posted by Hyper

Quoting Lord of Spam: Everything is bad for you. Live in a city? The air is bad for you. Eat pretty much any food you didnt grow yourself? bad for you. Eat something you DID grow yourself? still bad for you unless you live way out int he country with ground never touched by human hands. etc.

The OH NOES mentality most people have is retarded.

Except science specifically states in its many books that these things are indeed bad for you. Diet soda IS worse for you than regular soda. Chances are if you're drinking either regularly, you're going to get/stay fat whether or not the can says "diet" on it. But it's still bad for you. Many things ARE bad for you now thanks to us humans abusing the environment in which we live off of. To turn a blind eye to it for convenience is silly.

Posted by Iris

Simply cutting calories isn't a good way to take a positive step into your long-term future.

Posted by Fate

You've got to look at everything, mostly saturated fats and sugars. Soda is bad. But if you must have it, drink the regular stuff.

Personally, I prefer unsweet tea or fruit juice.

Posted by Xenos

Nestea ftw.

Posted by Hyper

Water is much better than any other drink, but it's bad too because it's contaminated. It's best to drink it from a filtered faucet.

Posted by Fate

Filtered water is nice. I've got a little Brita filter. But sometimes I want something sweet. I guess natural sweets are the way to go. :)

Posted by Hyper

Fruits are the best sweets as long as you wash them off first.

Posted by Fate

Speaking of fruits, I wonder if those Sobe/Naked/powerfood drink companies wash the fruits they put in.

Posted by Iris

Actually, juice has a lot of calories since it's so abundant in natural sugars. More calories than soda, but it has essential vitamins too.

Posted by Xenos

Fate: I love Naked Juice. My favorite flavor is carrot.

Posted by Ant

I love me some apple juice. Seriously, the stuff to me is like watermelon to eskimos.

Posted by Fate

Natural sugars are super-better than fake ones.

Personally I like the white one. I think it has coconut in it or something.

Posted by Iris

I've never tried them before. Are they expensive?

Posted by Fate

Like, three or four dollars a bottle. It's like food substitution.

Posted by Oforia

Never had them. I'll get one in the morning when I get a bagel. I know they sell them at brueggers.

Posted by Fate

Don't get the green one. :(

Posted by Iris

Why? What flavor is it?

Posted by Fate

It looks like spinach. It could very well be spinach for all I know.

Or kiwi or something.

Posted by Iris

Tastes bad or do you think it could be contaminated with the recent pesticide scare?

Posted by Fate

Pesticide scare? I didn't hear about that. Is it in fruit-flavored soda too or what? I don't know if they use real fruit.

Posted by Iris

Well, I don't think it affected fruit, but actually some vegetables, spinach mainly. I'm sure if they were to make some ***awful spinach drink, it would be using the same natural spinach.

Posted by Oforia

Also, the E Coli spinach scare, although that is pretty much over.

Posted by Iris

That's what I was talking about, actually.

Posted by muffla

Quoting Xenos: Have you tried to look up the answer at a more accredited site?

I tried wikipedia but it was useless