Drew Carey to host 'The Price Is Right'

Posted by Zeta

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/07/23/price.carey.ap/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

[quote]NEW YORK (AP) -- Genial comic Drew Carey was tapped Monday to replace silver-haired legend Bob Barker on the CBS daytime game show "The Price is Right."

Comedian Drew Carey will soon host the longest-running game show in American television.

The deal was set Monday afternoon shortly before a taping of CBS' "Late Show" with David Letterman, where he confirmed it.

"I realize what a big responsibility this is," he said. "It's only a game show, but it's the longest-running game show in American television and I plan to keep it that way."

The selection attracted more attention than usual for a daytime show because of the prospect of replacing Barker, 83. Barker retired after 35 years in the job last month following taping of his 6,586th episode.

The opening attracted widespread interest, including from comic Rosie O'Donnell after she left "The View."

Carey, 49, spent a decade on his own ABC sitcom and also was host of the improvisational game show "Whose Line is It Anyway?"

He will also be host of a new CBS prime-time game show, "The Power of 10," that airs next month. He told The Associated Press on Monday that CBS officials first contacted him about "The Price is Right" immediately after he completed a pilot of the other game show this spring.

Don't Miss
'Price Is Right' looks for host
"My agent called me and said `I was talking to CBS casting today' and in my head I was thinking, `Oh, `CSI' guest star?' And he said what would you think about replacing Bob Barker on `The Price is Right?"'

Asked if he found the prospect of replacing such a TV legend daunting, Carey recalled talking to a friend who knows the game show business who told him, "as long as Bob Barker is cool with it, the fans will be cool with it."

"I'm cool with it," Barker said after hearing Carey's remarks.

Barker said he's not familiar enough with Carey's past performances to offer an opinion on his selection. But, he said, "I understand he ad-libs very well and that he has a very nice, friendly way of working, and I think both of those would be helpful to him on`The Price Is Right."'

His advice for Carey: "Go out there and do that show the way you think it should be done. Don't imitate me and don't imitate anyone else."

While Carey said he doesn't know Barker personally, the comedian said he was comfortable that his predecessor would be accepting when he took on the job.

The negotiation process was nerve-racking. While he was talking with CBS about the job, Carey said he got a call from another lawyer in Hollywood who told him one of his clients was offered "The Price is Right" job.

He figured CBS had lined up back-ups if the first choice did not come through.

"If I was going after a second baseman, I wouldn't just talk to one second baseman," the Cleveland Indians fan said. "If I were the general manager, I would be talking to a few second basemen."

Posted by Last Fog

He looks like Krang from the Ninja Turtles.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

hahaha, oh wow. that's dumb.

Posted by Ant

he's too fat for the job. all that walking across stage. he's going to be sweating up a storm, if not just collapse after going up those steps.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

The Price is Right should end with Bob.

Posted by EvilDeadGamer

yea, i agree. now that bobs gone the price is finished. no one wants to see drew up there. i cant even imagine the show without bob. you will be missed bob barker.

Posted by Ilikefluff

drew carey is the worst host ever,he should be standing on stage doing dilbert jokes..worst news to hit my ears, they should of got someone like dennis leary or al from the today show.

Posted by Chiaroscuro

Well at least it didn't go to Rosie O!

Posted by The Hate

Hes gonna be sitting down at his little desk just like whose line is it anway?

is he actually hosting this still or what? Cause he's on a completely different gameshow at the moment that just started last sunday or something.

Posted by Fate

He's gotten so big!

Posted by Iris

All classic gameshows have been taken over by boring, family-friendly sitcom comedians. How is this shocking?

Posted by The Hate

Because its Drew Carey.

Posted by Fate

He's kind of a heathen compared to Bob Barker.

Posted by Chiaroscuro

Quoting Fate: He's kind of a heathen compared to Bob Barker.

Every host is a heathen compared to Bob. He was the first true pimp on national TV, and people loved him for it.

Posted by Roger Smith

He also kicked the **** out of Happy.

The price is wrong *****.

Posted by Grave Wisdom

They want a fat guy? They should've hired Ron Jeremy. He's perfect for the job, especially the pimp part.

Posted by G-Sides

i don't think he'd be so bad :/ he has his moments.

Posted by Foppy D

They should have just hired some young stud instead of trying to make it all family or whatever. TPIR is watched by old ladies, college kids with no classes at 11AM, and sick high school students. Drew Carey? He'll try to make it funny. Old ladies want some suave old man they can dream of kissing on the cheek just one time before they die and strike out at that game you have to dig for chips in a giant baseball bag. I remember the first time it was "Hole in one............OR TWO!!!". To me, TPIR will retire from my TV along with that suave Lothario that is Bob Barker.

Posted by Foppy D

P.S. has anyone seen that hilarious video of that guy cheating? AWESOME

Posted by Pit

Quoting Grave Wisdom: They want a fat guy? They should've hired ANT FROM VGC

I COULD NOT RESIST.

ant can't fight

Posted by Pit

who fights on the price is right?

I don't think that's what I meant... I'm not entirely sure what I was trying to say there...

Posted by Grave Wisdom

Ant could kick Adam Sandler's ***!

Is that what you were getting at?

I honestly have no idea. I must've just woken up.

Posted by Ant

hey guys i'm fat

Don't say such things about yourself.