I Want Fake Fish!

Posted by Sadinymph

I have had bad experiences with fish. Whenever something important happens in my life, whether it be bad or good, a fish dies. When I moved out of my dads house a fish died. When I moved out of my boyfriends house and into an apartment, a fish died. When my roommate moved out, when she moved back in, and finally when we moved to VA. Ok so I guess it is just when I move. I am not risking getting another fish just to have it die on me. So does anyone know how to get fake fish. Whether they look real or if they are glass. I have just gotten so used to the fish tanks adorning my bookshelf. Any help would be much appreciated.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Umm, are you taking the fish with you and they are dying? Are you filling up the tanks with completely new water and then just throwing the fish in? What kind of fish are we talking about?

Posted by Xenos

Get a seaking.

Posted by Sadinymph

Yes we are taking them with us, and no we aren't just filing the tank with new water and throwing them in. We aren't stupid. When they die, it's right before we leave. Bags are packed, we wake up and they are floating. They are usually goldfish. Listen I don't need help in taking care of a fish. I had a Wal-Mart goldfish for over two years. I just want fake fish.

Wow! Two whole years!

Posted by Iris

...? Two years is fscking good for a super market goldfish.

I've never heard of fake fish before. A fake fish would probably just be an eyesore, sinking to the bottom or floating to the top, sideways. Most fish are fairly inexpensive and easy to take care of, so I just recommend getting new fish each time they die. It's not exactly as if you're emotionally attached to them, are you?

Posted by Oforia

If you don't want fish, what is the point of keeping up with fake ones? Unless you are mentally retarded, and really need to have fish in your presence in such a situation, I don't see the point.

Quoting Iris: ...? Two years is fscking good for a super market goldfish.

Uh, no. Feeder goldfish? Of course. Otherwise, that is a very short lifespan, even if it was from wal-mart. :/

Posted by Iris

I'm talking about the very tiny goldfish. The ones that don't grow to be longer than your finger.

Like, comets? Or fantails/black moors/calicos/other fancier species?

Posted by Iris

...You're a nerd, Lisa.

I know. :(

Posted by Xenos

I had these two goldfishes from Wal Mart that I bought from when I was in second grade, and one lasted me until sophomore year. However, the only reason that one died was because I bought these new fishes from Wal Mart and they were diseased or something. The other fish died just a few weeks ago. I don't know how they managed to live that long.

Posted by Sadinymph

Never mind. You have all been loads of help. Especially you Angelwing. You seem to know so much about the subject.

No need to point out my wisdom.

If you want us to be 'helpful', don't ask stupid questions.

Posted by junior senior

I had a goldfish that was 7-8 years old that died in december because it's skin was coming off. :)
it was huge

Posted by Aesthetic

Quoting Angelwing: No need to point out my wisdom.

If you want us to be 'helpful', don't ask stupid questions.

Whoa, Lisa, would you stop with the condescending attitude? I realize that from this conversation, you've gathered that we're incredibly poor caretakers of fish, but it was just a question to see if anyone knew of a place that sold blown-glass fish. A pet store near us in NY did, and they were cute and ornamental, but we can't find one here. But about the fish dying, well, yeah, we kinda did kill them on purpose. Every night before we packed to move, we would inject poison into the bowl (just a couple drops). We didn't think it would keep having the same effect..

Seriously, stop getting offended by the topic of our obviously too-young-to-die goldfish and, if you think it's a stupid question, don't ask more questions about the subject.

Anyway, this is something like what we were looking for:

They're usually sold suspending from a blown-glass bulb, which enables them to float, and sometimes are painted very colorfully. It's about as necessary as something you'd buy at Pier 1, but for us, it would have a bit more backstory.

Posted by Iris

I don't think those are as pretty as real fish, but I can imagine them being so if colored nicely and shaped to be more realistic. Unfortunately, I've never seen anything similar to that in any retail outlet, so I wouldn't know where to look. Maybe pet stores that specialize in fish would have fishtank ornaments like that?

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Get a cheap TV and DVD player, and the Finding Nemo DVD. There's a setting where its just a fish tank with fish swimming about, on repeat.

WHAT THE FU[COLOR=WHITE]CK? GIANT MOTHERFUC[/COLOR]KING BLAZIKENS

Posted by Sadinymph

That's a better representation, only it'd be suspended.

Thanks, Iris. I'll check around some more. You'd think they would have these things on the Boardwalk by the oceanfront, if anywhere, y'know - now that we live next to the ocean and all. But thank you for your help.

Posted by veritas

Quoting Junior Senior: I had a goldfish that was 7-8 years old that died in december because it's skin was coming off. :)
it was huge

OOOOO pictures please.

Posted by Lord of Spam

its a freaking fish, who cares if it dies? its not endangered, and its brain is likely barely big enough to even register its own existance.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

No doubt a race of beings that lived 6000 years at a time would say the same about us.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Uh, no? Theres a difference between "mass of muscle with limited nerve control and no real conscious thought" and "less advanced than us". Nice try though.

Posted by Iris

Go figure you'd turn that into an argument. :(

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Iris: Go

Why do I have to go? Ive been here for some time now and I fail to see why I should leave.

Quoting Iris: figure you'd

What does my figure have to do with this? Stop thinking about me naked and stick to the argument at hand.

Quoting Iris: turn that

I dont even know what you;'re talking about now.

Quoting Iris: into an argument. :(

Hey, I didnt start it, but I'm more than happy to finish it. [spoiler]<3[/spoiler]

Quoting Aesthetic: Whoa, Lisa, would you stop with the condescending attitude? I realize that from this conversation, you've gathered that we're incredibly poor caretakers of fish, but it was just a question to see if anyone knew of a place that sold blown-glass fish. A pet store near us in NY did, and they were cute and ornamental, but we can't find one here. But about the fish dying, well, yeah, we kinda did kill them on purpose. Every night before we packed to move, we would inject poison into the bowl (just a couple drops). We didn't think it would keep having the same effect..

Seriously, stop getting offended by the topic of our obviously too-young-to-die goldfish and, if you think it's a stupid question, don't ask more questions about the subject.

I'm not getting offended. I was initially going to give some advice. You know, looking out for the fishies and to prevent more deaths, incase she ever wanted to get more real fish. But hey, sarcasm is much better!